Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

And it's a hatch - which is a massive plus - I'm never buying a saloon again the hatch is so much more practical ... I'd assumed the Audi was a hatch until I went out to Sandyford to have a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Considering the price of around 85k for a brand new i4 m50, anyone think used m4s may see significant depreciation?

A quick browse shows 5/6 year old ones around the 50k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

hard to know, but petrolheads don’t buy new M3/4’s, they’re bought by people with lots of money who want to buy ‘a sports car’. Ditto for the 911’s.

it’s those wealthy guys who will buy the i4 m50 now instead of the m3/4, in the same way Porsche aren’t selling any 911’s here any more, but have sold literally 80 taycans this year alone.

petrolheads buy them second hard, and the price of everything is going up at the moment, not down. My own car has been worth €20-23k for about the last 3 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭carsfan2

In the context of ever rising car prices, I’m starting to think the M50 version is not a bad deal.

a Kia ev6 or Hyundai ioniq 5 with comparable performance is going to be 70k odd based on the price of the more mundane versions. Model 3 performance is into the 70’s too.

the BMW has a more premium badge and should drive well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Dealer rang me back on one today after I was in looking for a price about 6 weeks ago. Was wondering did I want to book one, expecting them in March.

Will wait to see a few reviews before I pull the trigger on one. BMWblog had a review and they were very impressed with the driving of it.

He said prices would be confirmed after the budget in October, I hope they are not expecting a VRT increase on expensive electrics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Any discussion on prices or discounts available on a preorder?

I can't see the government upping vrt on ev cars at the moment so I guess prices shouldn't rise but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

i4 M50 was used as the safety car in the eMoto GP for the first time today, no on board shots unfortunately

Nice little video on both versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Seen this, I'm very tempted by this car 😬

I was a bit shocked that 20" wheels takes about 100lms from the range !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

544bhp and 'only' 3.9s to 100km/h? Same as current M3 and M4. It'll probably be faster than that in real life, and £11k cheaper than the M3.

Still, Tesla M3P (my current car) is oficially 3.3s to 100km/h from 490bhp

I guess weight is a factor, 2.2 tonnes compared to 1.8 for the M3P

• Advertisement

0.4 tonnes of extra quality IMO. I see the advantages a Tesla has in some areas but I just don't like the look of them inside or out.

3.9 seconds is quicker than you'll ever need in reality.

^^^ You’re trying to compare the Tesla Model 3 to the i4, fair enough. However for me I have no interest in the Tesla. Inferior build quality, inferior looks. Maybe if we stuck to discussing the i4 in this thread? I’m sure there must be a Tesla Model 3 thread aswell where you can talk about that car?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks good. What's the starting on the road price in Ireland and when is it available, are these things known yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I don't doubt the i4 will feel more substantial. And you'd be surprised how often a quick press of the go pedal is used here... granted, 3.9s sounds like enough, especially if it's as I suspect, underrated. And if it is, the i4 should be as fast or a bit quicker in the 50-120 range.

Some people cross shop teslas and bmws, imagine that. I went from a 530i to the M3P, cabin quality seems on par to me. I might go back to bmw, if i4 is good enough.

Well said rocky. If this car is as good as I think it is, I would love to go back to BMW too. But I'd say the price, particularly of the M50, will be quite high here (compared to Model 3 Performance). I'll quite likely stay in my Model S Performance for the foreseeable future. Which is no punishment 😂

But my car will be 8 years old in July of next year (so out of battery / drivetrain warranty) and out of bumper to bumper warranty in about 6 months time, probably a bit earlier as I will hit the 161k km mark. I'm fairly confident that my local Bosch accredited service center will be able to do any out of warranty work on it though, met with the owners yesterday who told me as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Its up on the configurator - I think someone earlier in the thread had ordered one and said there was some "pending any budget changes" element to the quoted price.

I have to be honest I really like the M50, but a bit out of my price range, hoping that a 1-2 year old one might come along at the right time in a few years :D

Paddy

That's not bad at all. Well less than €10k more for the i4 M50 over the Model 3 Performance. Out of my budget for now though unless I win the lotto. And then I would buy the Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo S anyway. Or the new Model S Plaid if I wanted a really fast car 😂

The pending any budget changes thing was because delivery won’t be until next year. Unlikely EVs will see any change for the worse in October’s budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

White isn’t to my taste. If like to see some other colours

https://youtu.be/iXrtgRMTSTE

Acceleration seems decent

• Advertisement

Not sure it seemed quite sub 4 seconds as they claim though 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Is the M3P not 66k vs 78k starting price (I'm sure knowing BMW that you'll want a few extras) for the i4 M50. The cheaper one is 15k more than the cheaper Model 3 as well.

Basically it's slower, less economical and you pay 15k for a few extra buttons 😉

^^^ why does anyone pay more for a car? Said it before, I’ll say it again. I have zero interest in the Tesla. Inferior build quality, dreadful interior, looks like a Dodge Neon. It might 0.3 faster to 100kph but it’s slower to 160 & 200. The video above can attest to that. I consider myself fortunate that I’m in a position to be able to consider both as my next car, and it’s a no brainer for me. It’s quite laughable the Tesla fanboys thinking Tesla is in the same league as BMW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

I was the same when I test drove the model3 last year .. I ended up buying a 330e MSport plus .. I know it's not a BEV but when I was spending that sort of money on a car I couldn't live with the Tesla .. aside from the tablet which I instantly took a dislike to .. it felt cheap and nasty inside . I took the BMW for a spin and it was like comparing apple and oranges inside .. just an all round nicer place to be.

im almost sure when it comes to replacing the 330e it will be with an i4 at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Point is it's overpriced, even for a BMW fanboy. My wife has a 3 Series sitting outside and would never take it instead of the Model 3.

Great to see BMW offering EV cars rather than just SUVs as all marques are needed to meet the demand for EVs

Agree completely. I've no doubt the Tesla is a bit better when it comes to the battery tech, but isn't remotely close anywhere else.

Sure you could argue every BMW is overpriced. You're paying extra for the brand and the premium quality that comes with it. Sure why stop at BMW, Ferrari are seriously overpriced if speed and economy are the important factors ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

My wife prefers the leaf to the 330e ... but that is just out of pure handiness for short hops etc

the driving seat of any new BMW is a better place to be than a Tesla in my opinion ... and when the option is pure EV it would be a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I finally got around to visiting a dealer and getting my M50 order in. It will be a while waiting but really looking forward to it.

Interested to know, what the breakdown of orders here are like. i4 standard or M50?

What delivery date have you been given? I heard anyone ordering now is being given a Q4 2022 date.

I ordered the M50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

March/April nothing firmer than that. Seems that those in the continent are still able to order for around February.

Dealer mentioned EVs are getting priority but I think they were just talking crap.

Advertisement