Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and UK to now furnish Australia with nuclear submarines.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

The chinese government is a far bigger threat to the world than COVID ever was although probably not a big as threat as climate change (which the chinese are also hugely responsible for).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

LOL i just read this ridiculous post.

If Japan has a equally valid claim over the territory of Taiwan, then tell me: then why don't they speak JAPANESE there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

America bad russians good would be a typical reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Here's a map of US military bases in that region of the globe.

But sure, it's CHINA that's the one to be worried about.

Now, should we compare with Chinese military bases around the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The difference is see all of that blue stuff aka oceans China is laying claim to a lot of it ,and they have built their own bases in the region ,they have also banned other countries from accessing fishing grounds including sending armed naval and coastguard vessels to harness fisher men from other countries to prevent them from fishing in international waters and territorial waters that don't belong to China.

And alot of those so called US bases are everything from small radar installations to warehouse space .not necessarily major military bases that people usually make them out to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

By the same token, why aren't Taiwanese aboriginal languages spoken there? Or Dutch and Spanish, as well as Japanese? If language is the measure of Nationality? Well that's Ireland fúcked then isn't it?

As for the Japanese claim to Taiwan, as early as the 16th century the Japanese laid claim and the 1895 treaty of Shimonoseki ceded Taiwan to Japan in perpetuity. The defeat of Japan in WW2 led to administration of Taiwan being ceded to the Republic of China. Japan fully renounced sovereignty via the San Francisco treaty in 1951 and formalised ceding of Taiwan and Penghu Islands to the Republic of China via the treaty of Taipei in 1952.

At no point has Taiwan been part of modern China, much less the PRC.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Most are not US bases, they are millitary bases belonging to other countries that allow the US to also use those facilities. I wonder if the map maker could make those circles a bit bigger for emphasis, they look a bit small?

You have to laugh at the Chinese getting into a tiz, claiming 8 subs will destabilise the region, when they have 74.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The stealth subs are an interesting concept. Like your country could be nuked but you stealth subs could stay out there for years, great deterrent.

EDIT: Food and water is the problem I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Advertisement

The reactors on Nuclear subs output over 200 MW, so they have no lack of fresh water as it can be distilled from seawater by electrolysis. I can think of several ways for a sub to nab some fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

"...The longest submerged and unsupported patrol made public is 111 days (57,085 km 30,804 nautical miles) by HM Submarine Warspite (Cdr J. G. F. Cooke RN) in the South Atlantic from 25 November 1982 to 15 March 1983..."

I'd say the crew just get fed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I find if you want some balance in the news from the US then watching channels in equal parts of CNN and fox and a dose of RT does the trick.

CNN will ignore anything Biden does wrong, and keep talking about Trumps failings, FOX will tell you everything Biden is doing is wrong and RT will subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) point out what a kip America is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

So those this mean there are a few french submarines now looking for new homes?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

So, politically its a nightmare, environmentally, it will be opposed massively because the navy yard they have want to handle nuclear reactors is in the middle of Adelaide and militarily it means they won't have nearly the coverage the 8 subs they cancelled would have provided and also New Zealand won't let them transit their waters.

Oh don't worry.....the Aussies have a plan to overcome that 'transiting' issue.

Yep, like those life saving vaccines that were blocked from being sent to Papua New Guinea that Australia ordered for them.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Australia going gung ho with Americas great reset, now being rewarded with nuclear subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They are years off actually being built, and there are other orders on the books from India and the Netherlands, so there aren't physical boats idle on a dock somewhere. Others may end up ordering the design, but the subs that the French were to build for Australia, in Australia, will just never be built. And that is going to cost Australia an eye watering amount of compensation.

• Advertisement

The Australian media coverage makes interesting reading.

Commentators characterise Scott Morisson as a flim flam man, a shallow operator lacking any strategy for this subject area and really for the Country as a whole. Former Government figures and trade experts are aghast that he has done this and possible imperiled a EU/Aus trade deal worth 500 billion dollars, which seeing how incandescent Macron is, is not beyond the bounds of possibility.

Long way to go in this yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I see you avoided the fact that I stated that the Han Chinese are engaged in active colonialism in Tibet and Xinjang.

But but but.... America seems to be the stock reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I would disagree. Even Labour support this deal so it has cross-party support and in the main, both sets of media (News Corp/Fairfax) are supportive of this deal as a whole. Again, what's the alternative? Stick with diesel subs from the French? Some other deal, with who?

I cannot see a situation where this deal doesn't progress. As I mentioned, only once before in the US military history did they agree to share their secrets in Nuclear powered subs, which is one of the crown jewels of the US Military, that was with the UK back in the 1950s. I cannot see any situation that Australia turns that opportunity down.

The French will get over it and they don't hold sway over the EU either. Forget their dramatics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The French will get over it and they don't hold sway over the EU either. Forget their dramatics

Marko, the Aus-EU trade deal is a treaty. The French don't need to "hold sway" over the EU. All they need do is exercise their Veto at council.

The French, don't hold sway over the EU?

Riiiiight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

'Australian media coverage' ? Care to actually name what media outlets (plural) are reporting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The soviets should never have trusted their top secret caterpillar drive sub to a Scotsman to captain.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The power and threat of the soviet Union was exaggerated, the power and threat posed by China is underestimated

China is not that far off as wealthy as the USA, the soviet Union was never close to America economically

Compensation will depend on the terms of the contract. The French seem to have been stuffing Australia around by prioritising work on their own subs rather than doing the work on the Australian ones. The program is years behind schedule and way over budget. 5 years since the contract signing and they haven't welded two pieces of steel together yet.

There is a bit of a history of European sub companies taking the piss with Australia. When the Collins boats were being built, the first bits were done by the designers Kokums in their Swedish ship yards. Some of the deep welds were found to be defective and had to be re-done by Australian welders. There were also significant shortcomings in the design that proved extremely costly to remedy and resulted in big delays and the final product did not perform as promised.

Australia has been having issues with non-performance by the French contractor as well as failure to deliver on things like subcontract work being given to French companies instead of Australian ones.

That said, I think Morrison is a national embarrasment. A third rate intellect and a political dog that should never have made it into the job. Howard even sacked him as tourism minister. His sucking up to the US is appalling, even by Australian standards. The whole thing has gotten far too expensive and I think they should buy subs off the shelf and stop pork barreling liberal seats. It's an absolute nonsense to talk about a necessity for independence and domestic capability on things that take a decade or more to build. They are happy to buy F35s off the shelf with no domestic capacity to make them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Have seen mention of contract and compensation a few times, according to the French Ambassador there was no contract:

And with 5 years of nothing to show for the order of now old tech, you can see why the Aussies moved on to something bigger and better.

Advertisement