Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Im Looking at Dr Bicer in Turkey got great reviews on a Hair forum Im on. I have had 1 HT already in Poland by Dr Saifi but he doesn't really do more than 2000 graphs at a time and isnt cheap! but good as you wouldn't notice I had anything done.

Anyone know what its like to travel to Turkey at the minute if you are unvaccinted?

Also how do you go about getting finasteride? Can this be bought over the counter or do you need a prescription?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 timmy_283

Benny,

Is the forum quite genuine? Just might be another option for me to consider.

I believe you can travel to Turkey from Ireland if vaccinated. If unvaccinated then you have to produce a negative PCR test within the last 48 hours on arrival I believe.

Regarding finasteride, I get mine from Inhouse Pharmacy with no prescription required.

Yeah have been on it years researching HT's and where I found the DR I went to in Poland as I didnt want to travel to Turkey. its called the "hair restoration network" Lads on it document their journey with experiences, pictures etc. Is that a online Pharmacy Timmy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Hair Restoration Network is probably the best source for research.

The Conquerors fb page is good too but is heavily skewed towards cheap Turkish clinics (if that's what you want its fine but you need to be aware)

Fuecapilar is all over that group but you won't see them mentioned too much elsewhere for example.

Im on the Conquerors FB page and there appear to be a couple of people that hate Cinik but love fuecapilar even with numerous people posting good Cinik posts regularly. It is hard to know what information to trust, but most of the people seems to have real stories and are trustworthy. HBC08 what are your thoughts on Cinik and Fuecapilar?

I am always wary about sites like HRN though as do you not see many people posting on behalf of clinics?

Yes benny it is an online site. Ive been ordering off them since 2013 and never had any issues.

• Advertisement

Cinic is a hair mill with mixed results, you don't even know who is doing the procedure so even if you see good results from them you have no guarantee you'll get the same doctor or techs. They do seem to be one of the better big hairs mills though.

I nearly booked with Fuecapilar as at the time they had decent results,only had one doctor and he was doing all the work.This was a few years ago and things change quickly in the HT world.

My advise for what it's worth is to try to stretch the budget and go with one of the big names like Bisanga in Belgium,Couto in Spain or Ferreiro in Portugal. They're all about €3-€4 a graft but will do a top job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Hi guys,

Can someone recommend me a clinic for an initial consultation and examination. Cork preferably but will travel to Dublin.

I've always had decent hair but lately I started working out at home, and i took some videos of myself just to check my form and whatnot. It was only then i noticed a balding patch in my crown. I was freaked out a little and even more freaked down when i started taking direct pictures of my crown. With a flash on it can look truly awful.

I was at the doctor today and mentioned it to him and while he said it's "minimal" at present he said it looks like the onset of MPB. I asked him about treatments (he's bald as an egg himself) and he said something like "we'd don't do treatments for that here" and he has not heard of procepia/finasteride. He dismissed the whole thing and said he started going bald at 21 himself.

i really don't want to lose my hair and I'd like to get a jump start on this before it gets too bad.

Thanks for looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 md1994

i recommend staying well clear of the ailesbury hair clinic at all costs.

I had a procedure done there and the results were shockingly bad. They should not be operating HTs. I have to get it repaired in HRBR now. I hope others see this so they don’t go through what I had to. Nobody died but it’s costs money and time to get fixed.

Sorry to hear that,I went for a consultation with them and wasn't impressed at all.

Can I ask why are you going to HRBR?

They're the most expensive I found anywhere in the world,you can get more established top surgeons,the best in the world for in and around what you paid in Ailsbery and about half what you'd pay in HRBR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 md1994

if it was my first go at it again yea I probably wouldn’t go with HRBR and find somewhere as good for less money. But I’m a repair job now and willing to spend to get it fixed. You only trust a few places after it’s gone wrong for you. I might still look elsewhere though. The harley street hair clinic is another one in London. Wayne Rooney got his done there FYI.

• Advertisement

The top surgeons are well used to repair jobs,for example I went to Dr Bisanga, 30% of his clients are repair jobs.They didnt research properly,went on the cheap or just got unlucky ,now they have to pay top dollar and are working with a depleted/botched donor,thats the main point to anybody id make considering their options in a ht.

Bisanga (there are others in the same league at similar prices but since I have experience with him I'm using him as an example) is one of the best in the world and recognised as such (on most reputable lists he's top 20 sometimes top 10) whereas outside of Ireland you won't hear or see much of the HRBR,yet they charge twice as much

There's lots of other guys in the top 20 surgeons (about half of them in Europe) for half the price of what HRBR are charging.

My advise would be to go to a few consultations.Also Harley street might have the top prices but hardly top results,Rooney has had 3 and hes basically back where he started.

If you want to go the UK route I'd recommend Dr Ball,way out of my budget but one of the very top guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Dr Ball's results seem very conservative to me, like the surgeries are very minimal and don't make really drastic changes to their patients' hairlines. They do look natural though which is the most important thing, but I wonder if it's because of him being expensive that people don't get much done. How much does he charge do you know?

I think it's about £5gbp per graft.

Expensive and there are guys just as good and arguable better for slightly cheaper but the poster had specifically mentioned the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Hi all, sorry if I’m asking the same old things that have been discussed a few times but I was just wondering if I was committed to getting a second or even third HT over a period of time (assuming I could) , then would I still need to take finasteride after the first one?

Im 38 and tbh baldness felt like it may have been always on the cards (from my dads side), I thought I was starting to get away with it but in the last 6 months I’ve really noticed it come out of nowhere. Not just the crown but thinning at the top. Freaks me out when I come out of the shower or if I take photos of the top of my head. Weirdly if you saw me from head on you wouldn’t even notice it.

It had been a super stressful/intense year from work too so I was thinking/hoping there may be other reasons and it’ll grow back but I don’t think so.

That brought me to this thread and other bits, it’s just the fin that puts me off the whole thing.

There's some decent info on this thread but treat it like any boards thread.

I sound like I'm shilling now but HRN site is one of the best,also Joe Tillman (although he's being paid by some clinics) check out Rolandos on fb ,He's a genuine guy who had his first surgery at the same time as me,had the same budget,similar views and put in similar amounts of research.He starting doing youtube vids and now has a decent following online and very knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Sounds a bit like me. I'm 42 and thought I was after getting away with it. Father has full head of hair at age 70 but mother's brothers all went bald early.

I previously thought i was going bald early 30s. I took pictures of my crown back then (which I still have) and can see I was very paranoid and it was just the parting of my hair coupled with a camera flash.

However it's a different animal now. Front part of hair looks EXTREMELY thin when brushed back and the hole in my crown seems to be growing before my eyes.

I mentioned above that my doctor never heard of Finasteride. How might I go out about getting on it? I'm going to get a referral to a derm to confirm MPB. Can the derm prescribe it?

Managed to get booked in with Dr Turan at Fuecap 😀

Best of luck!

i very nearly booked with him a few years ago.If hes doing the same now as in he does all the work himself then youre giving yourself a good chance.Theres a lot if goidcresults from him on the fb page.

How much does dr Turan charge these days?

€3500 for approx 4000 grafts including accommodation etc. I believe he has gone up in price but still relatively cheap

Yes,I didnt find anybody else doing all the work himself for that price.My research is a bit out of date but good to see hes still about and hasnt raised his prices too much.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks HBC. Booked in for April 2022 but trying to get it fuller forward if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭sugarman20

Are any of you guys worried about having to take a pill for the rest of your lives? It's about the only thing putting me off from a HT. I'd be a Norwood 6/7 and was told I would have to be on Fin.

I understand the worry but the reality is it's a breeze and not even something you have to think about.

I'm not on finesteride now but was for 8 years or so.Its a pill beside your bedside locker and I would take it as soon as I woke up with a glass of water beside the bed.

Doesn't matter if you miss a day or even a few days.Its a much bigger chore to brush your teeth or even to use Rogaine/minoxidil (to keep in the ht vibe!)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭BigProblem

do you think it is worth having a consultation with dr nel if you dont think you will have a HT? i am using rogaine and derma rolling so was just wondering if there is any other pieces of advice he can give you.

100%,

Earlier this afternoon I had a consultation with Dr Bisanga,he did my ht and I'm thinking about getting the crown done.Im in no hurry and am not that bothered if I ever get it done but wanted him to have a look and let me know my options.

I was half expecting him to say I wouldn't be a good candidate for a 2nd op as my donor wasn't great to begin with.He said I'll need 1700 to 2000 and I probably have near 3000 grafts to play with.Good news I think although I might never end up getting it done,I'm happy enough with the way it is now and just having a small bald patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Can you tell us what went wrong? Is the hairline messed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

OP here, returning after a few years!

I've received a few messages to ask how my hairline currently looks, so I thought I'd post. Below is me as of yesterday, so 6 years and 3 months post-op.

As you can see, the transplanted area itself is not as dense as before. I would that in general, things peaked one year post-op and slowly thin from there. That's probably why most people get a second op, which I plan to a few years from now. But for now, happy enough with things and delighted to have taken the plunge in 2015.

Still looks good mate. I think you went to dr Saifi in Poland. I went to him myself. but he only done 2000 grafts I needed a lot more in hindsight thinking of going to Dr Bicer in Turkey next year but still researching and saving ..lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Cheers! I actually went to Dr Doganay, in Antalya, Turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotVeryHappy

Just after reading through the whole thread after the past few days. If I remember you were going to quit the fin. Did you in the end and just take rogaine?

Advertisement