Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options
  • 17-09-2021 4:08pm

Either revert the charter to what it was before it was changed by Overheal a couple of years ago or close it down..

Every single thread just descends into the same 5 posters sneering at anyone wanting to discuss the topic or practically shouting questions repeatedly at people..

Apparently the charter was changed with no consultation a couple of years ago?..

It seems like only certain opinions are allowed..

The same thing happens in CA to an extent, but at this stage you might as well close the CT forum down..

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

"It seems like only certain opinions are allowed.."

That's exactly what they WANT you to think!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

Translation: "People challenge my opinions and I can't handle it, much less answer the challenges. Please sir may I have a safe space?"

Just that there might possibly be any validity to any conspiracy theory at all..

Seriously, every single thread just descends into the same five posters sneering at people, after harassing whoever started the thread with repeated questions until they give up and leave..There's no acknowledgment of anything said..

Like, whatever, maybe it's just a testament to how people have become so polarized on the internet..But it was suggested in another thread that it was a consequence of this change to the charter..It should be reviewed..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So you want any challenge to any CT just shut down and banned? That's what it sounds like to me.

What is wrong with people challenging the topic? I get the nature of the forum is a bit out there but if ct-ers can't robustly defend their ct from legitimate challenge what's the point of the forum?

• Advertisement

But its not posters making "legitimate challenges". Its a very ugly and unwelcoming forum. Post up a conspiracy theory and within 5 posts you'll get snide remarks from posters. Might as well rename the forum as troll central.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

So you are looking for some sort of safe haven for CT? I don't think it's wise idea imo.

I'm asking for the change in charter to be reviewed or suggesting the forum be closed..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"after harassing whoever started the thread with repeated questions"

So if someone opens a thread and makes a claim your basically saying that the ops claims shouldn't be questioned?

• Advertisement

What changes would you like to see?

CT won't be closed down because if they did that then you would just get Conspiracy theorists posting shìte all over the place, CT forum is the place to keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Inviere

The OP is very correct on this one though. The forum makes for painful reading, because invariably threads very quickly get shot down by a certain poster or two shouting for "evidence!".

Gone are the days where it might make for interesting reading, where people could discuss a particular theory, it's merits, it's failings, sometimes whacky, sometimes eyebrow raising, and so forth. None of that seems welcome anymore, unless there's "evidence!". Naturally, evidence is not very often clear with these things, because, well, they're theories.

The forum needs to allow for a bit of breathing room for discussion. Not every theory has direct evidence, and when shouting for it the whole time, it saps the fun and intrigue out of every single thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Or if questions are allowed, would it be acceptable for people to ignore questions?

What questions would be acceptable and which would not be?

Would it be acceptable for people to dump a link to some bitchute video or link to some conspiracy blog, declare it's all true, then vanish from the thread completely?

What if someone posts something that is factually wrong and is shown to be so. Are people just supposed to not mention that and continue as if the false claim is true?

Not every theory has evidence, yet we have posters making claims as if they are fact.

If I said Mary McAleese was actually not Irish and was born in Zimbabwe would you not ask for evidence for my claim?

You're always going to get whacky stuff, but it's a problem where a thread is posted with a potentially interesting theory that could have a good discussion, and it's just immediately shot down citing "evidence!".

So CT charter should say "no questioning of the op"?

Thats not a discussion that's just a safe space for people to make idiotic claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

This is a mischaractisation.

Evidence is not proof. You can provide evidence for something even if you don't have proof.

If someone is making a statement of fact, such as "X amount of people died" why is it unreasonable to ask for something to back up a claim like that?

What's wrong with answering "I don't have anything to back up that claim"?

But most of time, people aren't asking for evidence. People are asking "what do you believe?" and "why do you believe it?" Or "how do you address this contradiction that I can see?" None of that requires evidence or proof.

Wouldn't these questions allow for the discussion you believe would be fun and intriguing? Is there anything unreasonable about asking those questions?

Is it reasonable for people to just ignore those questions?

Call it whatever you want, it makes for dire reading in its current guise, and smothers any potential discussion. I'm with the OP on this one, a bit more breathing room for theories would be nice....if there was always direct evidence for this stuff, they wouldn't just be theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As you know well we aren't living in a world of theory anymore. It's now a world where false is fact. The internet and the walk about life have wrapped and morphed into some hateful disgusting hybrid child. The notion that conspiracy theories are some lovelable chatty joy discussion is gone maybe five years ago.

It's sad but it's the reality. We had people dragging someone sick out of a hospital in this very country last week.

.I mean ...... Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

@Timberrrrrrrr "Not every theory has evidence, yet we have posters making claims as if they are fact."

This.

And dismissing sceptics as government shills, "sheeple", etc.

And this is without even getting into the area of dishonesty, whether by design or incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If posters want to spout theories without challenge then perhaps the forum should be moved to "fictional writing" part of the site.

They problem with the Majority of these conspiracy theorist posts is they often cannot even verbalise what the actual conspiracy is?

They see black and white and call it blue, but when asked why would it be blue, they are incapable of answering. Plenty of examples of posters telling lies and posting as fact there.

The forum is absolutely full of posters who sea gull in with click bait nonsense that they believe is some kind of "eureka" moment, but when clearly shown to be lies, and challenged on it, they disappear with no acknowledgement whatsoever until their next sea gull droppings.

So if they want a forum where they can theorise unchallenged, let the forum reflect that it's fictional or hypothetical musings going on, and nothing based on actual verifiable fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

The OP has been proven correct, as the same posters who try to strangle discussion in the CT forum have swarmed into this Feedback thread as well to provide counter-Feedback.

It is impossible to discuss a theory if every thought or supposition has to be made explicit and evidenced every step of the way and intuitive leaps are shouted down. This is a kind of ultrapositivism.

The posters who purposely disrupt every thread should be banned or the forum should be closed down because, as it is, it is only a time-waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The charter you are referring to was a temporary charter change (and was unpopular). The key difference was that it generally allowed conspiracy theorists to post conspiracies without evidence, which turned the forum into an echo chamber and safe space, and that includes the more extreme stuff (anti-vaccination stuff, dangerous medical disinformation, antisemitic conspiracies, Holocaust denial, etc), which can't be challenged.

It's a public forum, and when people are using it to e.g. revise history, contradict medical science, attack vaccines, deny events like the pandemic, then it's only normal that people are allowed to challenge those views. Friction occurs because those who are posting the "conspiracy theories" are generally seeking validation, and do not like having their views questioned. The mods are active and generally deal with rules breaches like any other forum.

The starting point should be "what is the conspiracy theory"

A lot of threads there fail to even manage that.

"The great reset" thread is a prime example

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There's no such thing as "counter-Feedback", dude. It's all just feedback.

But therein lies the problem, its not that there's no "direct evidence" its the fact there's no evidence at all!

As I said, if I claimed McAleese was born in Zimbabwe, should I not be questioned for making that statement?

I agree. As @growleaves mentions above though, it's a total time sink to participate in the forum with the way it works right now. So who'd bother?

Ideally there'd be a middle ground where a theory can be posted with some source info, discussed, tested, etc, without it feeling like a military interrogation.

Oh, and just to stress this point.

Conspiracy theories are no longer a form of entrainment.

We've seen with the capitol Hill insurrection that unchallenged conspiracy theories can lead to very very serious results and events. We've seen the damage that racists and homophobes like Gemma O Doherty can cause with their dangerous conspiracy theory views.

When conspiracy theories are focused on "those in power are out to get you" (chem trails, great reset, 9/11 was an inside job etc) then there's a very real chance that some gullible or mentally damaged person will do something stupid citing these theories. We've seen this happen many times.

There is no way these posts can no unchallenged based on a "Shure what harm" basis. They are dangerous, and they they should be challenged each and every time.

Can that crap not just be ignored then? And allowed to fall into the ether? Why entertain it at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Conspiracy theories and theorists have moved from just being paranoid loners in basements in the 1980s to being entire communities of extremists radicalizing eachother through disinformation and hate. It's no longer a crazy but harmless past time, these people pose very real dangers to society.

Boards should not be complicit in this. The purpose of the forum is to discuss conspiracy theories as a cultural phenomenon, not a place for people to fester conspiracies without challenge. There are plenty of echo chambers online to go hide in if that's what someone wants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement