Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice pub grub in the city

Options
  • 17-09-2021 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

I'm familiar with the skeff and the kings head. Both are nice . Anywhere even better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Blakes Bar Eglinton Street Top notch!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 1BDI

+1 for Blakes if you can get a table. Pre-Covid it was often too busy to get a table and they don't take bookings for the bar so you have to go on spec which isn't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Have been in Blake's 3 times and never found it anything bar average. Keoghs and The Cellar are always solid, Seven too.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

The Universal does good food. It's a bit different to normal pub fare so check out the menu first.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

The Dail Bar is really nice, you can open a tab and not pay the bill until the newspapers catch up with you....oh no wait thats la la land 😀

But seriously, the Dail on Cross St is pretty good

• Advertisement

Absolutely, I didn't recommended as it wouldn't be for the average 'pub grub' customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I always have a brilliant feed in the Cellar! Highly recommend the lasagne, goujons, wings, steak sandwich, their award-winning sandwich... It just never disappoints.

Mind you I often have to queue / wait for a table, so... never mind it's actually rubbish, don't go there 😉

Haven't eaten the the Front Door in years but it used to be nice and you'd always get a nice cosy spot to sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I guess it depends on your definition of pub-grub and nice.

To me, pub grub means cheapish, cheerful, simple food and plenty of it. Tasty because there's plenty of salt on hand, not because they're using fresh/local/interesting ingredients. So - the Imperial carvery kinda thing.

McSwiggans, Front Door, Dáil, Universal, Seven - are a step up from "pub grub" - in price and in quality.

The Universal would be the only one of those I'd class as not pub grub. Due to their use of different ingredients, presentation and style of food. The rest are standard pub food, a burger, a curry, a roast, pasta, fish and chips, an overly expensive steak etc. At least you'd get something different in Universal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Seven is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Tasty because there’s plenty of salt and they use sh!t ingredients? OP wants something better than the kings head. The food in the imperial is barely edible. The only time I was there was when I got called for jury duty. Never again. I couldn’t recommend that to anyone in good faith. As others have said The Universal is good food and not too expensive. Avoid The Imperial at all costs, a chicken fillet roll from a petrol station would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Personally, I would never eat in the Imperial. But it IS what some people mean by "pub grub".

The OP is looking for a unicorn: nice and pub-grub do not belong in the same sentence.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

+1 for Blakes, John Keoghs, MC Swiggans, we also like the front door, wings are are good. An púcán is good too.

Don't like seven, personally I think it's like the Skeff which I also don't like for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭I see sheep

King's head is the best imo.

They absolutely can and do belong in the same sentence. Your definition of pub grub sounds more like places serving poor quality food. There's a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Literally no-one would ever bring up the Imperial when the topic of "pub grub" is mentioned. Galway is overflowing with venues offering great quality food that fits the criteria of pub grub perfectly, the Imperial would be the last of anyone's list.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that "pub grub" actually means bad, cheap food as opposed to what it actually, and literally means - a generally predictable menu to suit broad tastes served in a pub.

All the places you listed as not being "pub grub" are literally renowned for just that.

edit: Apart from The Universal, that is definitely a different class of food.

Post edited by Homelander on

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Garvey's across from the train station is quite nice also!

Advertisement