Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

They would still be weak minded. What is your point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My point is that they aren't actually weak minded just because you and some others disagree with them, or rather that they disagree with you.

They are representing significant cross sections of their communities, with legitimate concerns. I said before on here, the best thing you can do to prevent any progress, is to dismiss them as cranks, crooks, cronies, luddites, fat cats, blueshirts, or indeed weak minded. It will only entrench opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’m pro cycling except when a vocal minority get on my case. Fair few of those around.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

OK Sorry to keep banging on about it, but I thought that you mentioned before that you don’t live in the DLR council area? If so, why would you go to the bother of speaking to several Councillors there about the conduct of the executive?

Maybe I’m misremembering and you do actually live in DLR?

(I’ll admit that I am a DLR resident directly impacted by these decisions.)

• Advertisement

No I don't live in DLR now, I come from there, was brought up and educated there and my business is located there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Macy0161

tbh this really brings me back to my earlier point about local residents not having a veto on these projects. And shows that they are right if the intention is to move this to permanent employee's.

I'm directly effected by Deansgrange, as that's my commuting route. It's a greater Dublin issue, not a local one, and should be judged on that, not chipper access.

Again, its just pure gamesmanship by the Council Chief Exec and the Director of Infrastructure, shithousery of the highest order.

It won't be tolerated by the elected Council, especially the ones they are trying to stitch up.

• Advertisement

Given that he is the Director of Infrastructure and hence, the joint shithouser of the piece, he would say that, wouldn't he?

They are directly contradicting their own statement, issued on the withdrawal of the S138, that only the Deansgrange section would be omitted, in order to address a solution for it. From my experience of the type of projects he's talking about, I politely suggest he's talking b0ll0cks.

Let me illustrate. The following is an extract from the post on the Council's website of 16th Sept.

"At the Council meeting on Monday 13 September, the notification under section 138 of the Local Government Act 2001, which related to works for the entire AST project, consisting of all three routes, was withdrawn by the Council Executive."

This is a lie. The S138 notification related only to the Deansgrange element. Why? Because other aspects of the work of the AST project were already underway on the ground, eg Lower Kilmacud Road which is currently excavated! And in any case, a contract for works being constructed on the ground under the provisions of the Road Traffic Act, are neither dependent on nor halted by a S.138 notification by the Council Chief Exec. The S.138 in this instance was being used as an instrument to force a vote, it wasn't a necessity as the funding was grants from the NTA, not Councils own resources. However, that backfired when the Councillors responded with a S.140 that they had the numbers to win.

This is the text of the email sent to Councillors by the Chief Exec when he decided to withdraw the S.138:

"Following the large number of submissions received recently on the Deansgrange element of the Active Schools Travel project, and following discussions with Councillors, it is now proposed to commence a further process of engagement with all stakeholders . All options will be considered before proceeding with the Deansgrange related elements, which form part of two of the proposed Active School Travel routes. All works proposed in relation to the Deansgrange element of the works will be deferred until the engagement process is completed, with a report to issue to the elected members at that time. The report will be completed by January 2022. In the meantime, it is proposed to withdraw the section 138 notice in its current form.”

I'm not sure how many more times he needed to say "deansgrange element", to make people understand that he was talking about the Deansgrange element!

Given the proof from both extracts above that a) the AST project as a whole is not affected by the S.138 one way or the other and that b) they were quite satisfied on Monday night that the Deansgrange element could be further examined in isolation, with revision and further consultation to attempt a solution, I can only reiterate that what Robert Burns is saying now (on his private twitter,no less) and what the Councillors were told yesterday, is total, absolute and complete bullshyt.

I'm enjoying how annoyed you are about this 😁

The gang thought they were being smart, got outplayed, and are now being made look like the twats that they are. No doubt they are getting flak from many parents over their actions. Long may it continue

No, you misinterpret my feelings, I'm not close enough to it to be angry about it, I'm just feeling intolerant of negligent public servants. This is your taxes just as much as mine that they are playing fast and loose with.

The Councillors are angry about it though, they'll be overturning this stunt next week, as it is as transparent as it is shabby.

So they are going to force the council to make Deansgrange one way and implement the full network, cool

Nope, continue the work on the uncontroversial 23kms or so, as contracted, work on a solution with stakeholders for Deansgrange (some sort of shared surface deal with priority crossings, most likely) then complete that in turn.

Its not rocket science. Or at least it wouldn't be if the Council Exec weren't being spiteful.

The one way design on Deansgrange Road isn't happening, the sooner everyone gets over that and focuses on alternative solutions, the better for all concerned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Accusing someone of being spiteful, yet the overwhelmingly popular choice is binned because of the objections of the minority of well connected.

I think the actual situation is that the potential damage to the community locally was effectively communicated to the Council, ultimately.

Like many of these things, I doubt most of the people who became active over Deansgrange had ever contacted a Councillor before, let alone knew who they were, which isn't what I would characterise as well connected.

In the end, a majority of Councillors made a judgement on balance for the greater benefit of the wider area and thats where things are now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Potential damage to the community? Because what a car dealership would have to adapt, and a couple of takeaways would have to adapt?

Councillors didn't make a judgement on the greater benefit of the wider area. They panicked after hmming and hawing because they didn't want to upset a few people in a small area. They are in it to save themselves, and no more.

• Advertisement

Your myopia is constant.

Quite apart from business access, which is legitimate, some of those commercial sites are on the slate to provide higher density residential, based on the provisions of the current county development plan, which will be based on a certain level of road access etc

And so there is far more going on for Councillors to consider in the round, than just Ann and Barry on a Fisher Price bike.

Always comes back to development with you doesn’t it. Private citizen indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is that ANY possibility that you're being a tad selective about what particular public expenditures you choose to get particularly excited about? Not a peep about spending €80 million to manage the M50 because we can't rely on drivers to drive safely, but yeah, let's get all excited about a few cents (relatively speaking) spent on cycle lanes.

Some people are clearly more equal that the vast majority who responded to the consultation, in your mind. Perhaps we should get back to the old days of the merchant princes being in charge, and letting our betters decide these important things for peasants?

The mask slips.

Your disgust with children is quite telling.

More than ever I believe that protected infrastructure is required to protect children from attitudes such as yours.

1) Housing is the only game in town.

2) I'm not involved with any current or future projects within 5km of Deansgrange at the moment.

3) If this was the Motorways Forum, I'd have plenty to say about it, but it isn't.

4) I'm not disgusted by children. My own three piss me off occasionally, but disgust would be a strong word.

We are talking about a massively and permanently impactful measure, for 45 mins in the morning and 45 mins in the early afternoon, for 8 months of the year.

Young kids aren't going be let cycle without their parents anyway, by the time they're old enough, they should be practicised in cycling on all street types and with signal, roundabouts and so on. Whatever is built in Deansgrange eventually should be for all cyclists, all of the time, and side by side, with existing road users and the whole community

1) When all you’ve got is a hammer, you tend to see nails everywhere

2) You say you don’t have any interest in any of this beyond a quest to seek value for taxpayers. At the same time you’re claim that you’re advising Sandymount residents on strategies against the cycle lane there and lobbying councillors in Deansgrange, even though you don’t live in either area. You keep linking cycle lanes to upcoming development in both areas (see 1) and you are a planning consultant. Something smells very fishy. I really doubt that anyone lobbies councillors in another council area cause they’re concerned about tax spending. It would be a very principled thing to do. Further up the thread you’ve stated that you see your job to get the best planning result for developers, through any loophole possible. Not so principled. To me, it seems you are being disingenuous at best (some would call it shithousery).

3) and 4) irrelevant

And yet, we are, where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CJay1

There's a cycle this Sunday (26th of Sept) to show support for the cycle lane.

Starting in Springhill Playground at 2pm and going down Deansgrange Road, to Clonkeen Park and back.

It's being organised by local residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Shay Brennan trying to reverse the halt on the cycling-to-school works:

Advertisement