Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

We got to La Garangeoire and Les Ormes every year now. La Garangeoire is excellent with its own repeat regulars that go at the same time every summer.

Les Ormes is a very busy site but excellent in its own style. Great for walks, fishing, cycling and the indoor water park is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

Anyone who has stayed at Domaine Des Ormes, would you recommend driving to Ohama beach ?

I have always wanted to visit but have a young family who I may need to convince!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Any sign of Irish Ferries posting their 2022 schedule to France? I see Brittany and Stena have theirs up already...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Usually late Oct or even Nov. They tend to not commit to a date by which the schedule will be up but as soon as it is you can be sure someone here will spot it and post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Checked a few dates on Stena (Jun/July) and, despite the eye-watering prices, a lot of the cabins are sold out already. I think most of Europe will be on the move next Summer, there's a lot of pent-up credit to be spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I haven't made that particular journey, but it's not that far really.

An hour will bring you to Utah beach and and the start of the museums and landing beaches and gun replacements.

Huisnes-sur-Mer

Is a war cemetery built into a hollowed out hill, and close to Mont San Michel, and definately worth an hours visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'd see it as something to do on either the way to or from the campsite at the start or end of the holiday, rather than a day trip from the campsite itself.

The beach itself is long and sandy - bit like Curracloe not too far from me here in Wexford (which is why I suppose they filmed Saving Private Ryan there in the first place!). However, have never seen it used much by families for a "regular" beach trip (i.e. swimming, sandcastles, etc.). Then again, that's probably because we were generally there during slight off-peak season (June or September) rather than July or August.

The nearby cemetery is a very solemn and moving place to visit, and is well worth a visit by any adult with an understanding of these things. However, probably not ideal to bring young children who'd be likely to run around, shout, and play.

Don't know where this leaves you as regards visiting there or not, but that's my take on it anyway!

I actually spoke to somebody in Stena about this because we had credit to transfer to next year ourselves, and all cabins were booked up for our preferred dates in July.

The Stena guy reckoned it's because so many have already transferred their crossings (along with cabins) to dates they might not actually want, and that they'll make further changes as next summer draws closer, thus freeing up cabins that are currently booked.

I certainly hope so myself anyway. Have never done a crossing without a cabin, and I don't fancy the idea of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I did it a few years back with 4 girls in their early to mid teens. Did a few of the museum's and then picked up a guide and followed a route which brought me to partially destroyed gun emplacements, fire observation posts built into cliffs overlooking the sea and ammunition depots buried partially underground. Paid a visit to the Allies graveyards and visited the German one also.

I brought a picnic with us, set off early in the morning, and the kids didn't mind the break from the waterpark in Dol.

We were there mid June and the place was full of enthusiast's with Jeeps, Armoured cars, half tracks etc and they were only too happy to show the kids their vehicles and let them in and take photos etc.

A trip well worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

@NickTellis Jeez thanks for the heads up on the ferry. I usually wait for an offer (Stena usually have one) but have booked now just in case and had to take an inside cabin coming back. Big price jump too, we usually pay between €700 - €800 for cabins & car for family of 4, but it's €1,104 for 2022 (travelling late July). And Stena is a pretty basic ferry tbh.

Took the flexi so can rebook if an offer comes through later in the year. Lucky we know exactly what we want to do next year so there's no dithering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Also booked a Flexi option today for 3 adults + car + outside 4 berth cabin departing late July returning mid August and total was €1,093.

Last year for similar dates and cabins etc going out with IF on the WBY was €778 (including circa €100 for the very enjoyable lounge) and back on Stena was €695 so €1,473 in total.

Happy with €1,093 for next year unless a better offer, particularly on the WBY comes along. I do like the Stena ferry, its comfy and practical but particularly on the way out I really like the WBY.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Crumtrin

I'm waiting on Irish Ferries to release their schedule hopefully they will in the next four weeks or so.

Does anyone have any insight as to why they leave it so late ? Seems a bit crazy to me, as there is an obvious demand.

Have thought about doing the land bridge, it is cheaper ferry wise, but I suppose when you add in the diesel, food stops etc it probably works out the same.

Also has anyone been to Carnac and surrounds ? Any advice on things that we should see or do ?

Thanks

@Crumtrin No idea, but it is always pretty late. Can even run into November.

Carnac is a buzzy (for France) tourist focussed resort, great beach, old town nice, excellent market, plenty of restaurants, some nice shops, cool craft night market too. We did trips to L'Orient and Saint Nazaire. Trinity sur Mer is just down the road and nice as well. Quiberon is lovely, we actually holidayed out there one year, it was a great spot with idyllic beaches. You can visit the standing stones. We also did Foret Adrenaline, kids loved it (zip wire place)

It is v busy. There are a lot of Irish and English. Personally, I actually preferred Quiberon, it wasmuch more French, the beaches were more interesting to explore, and the campsites were more low key. However ymmv, it entirely depends what you like and your kids etc etc!

Otherwise in more alarming news, our chosen campsite for our preferred two weeks is already booked out!! I can see it's going to be a total scramble for a holiday next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Been going to France for a few years and used the normal companies and booked direct a few times. We have never brought the caravan bit looking at doing it next year. I'm wondering is there a specific booking site for caravanning in France.. I know I can go directly to sites but if theres one that covers a multitude I'd appreciate some direction towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

you can use the ACSI websites to find campsites across France and you can also book many of them through the website if that’s what you want.

if you’re going in high season then you would need to use the main website, the English language version is:

eurocampings.co.uk

if you’re going in off season then you can join camping card ACSI which gives you great discounts at several thousand sites, the English language website for that is:

campingcard.co.uk

i hope that helps, I have been caravanning in France now for many years and I can be pretty sure that you’ll love it, you have much more freedom than booking on-site accommodations.

P.S.

I’m currently sitting outside the caravan in the glorious sunshine of Sommieres in the Gard department, this is one of the campingcard ACSI sites, Domaine de Massereau, it’s a brilliant site and the campingcard ACSI rate is €20 per night, have a look at their website and that will give you an idea about the sort of discounts you can get…

Thanks newonhere, we will be heading in August so high season. The cost of using companies has basically made us go this route. We will be going with another family who don't have a caravan so we will be looking for a site that cater for mobile home hire and also have good pool entertainment for the kids. I'll use both those sites and spend the next while trawling through them. 👌🏻👍🏼

Good luck in finding something to meet all your needs, the availability is so wide ranging I really don’t think that you will have a problem although If you need August, especially the first 2 weeks of August then you probably need to book up fairly early to ensure getting something.

Good to know sites book up quickly..I'll be researching for the next month.. Thanks again.

What are people's favourite campsites from Bordeaux to Royan?

We can only get a week at our chosen place in the Dordogne and we thought we'd take the second week by the sea.

Thank you all!

• Advertisement

Am returning to something that was touched on a little while ago - how so many cabins are already sold out on Stena sailings from Rosslare to Cherbourg next summer. For example, there's not a single cabin available on any of the Saturday departures next July.

We're facing the choice of booking a Saturday (our preferred departure day) and having to settle for trying to sleep on reclining seats if no cabins become available in the meantime, or else sailing midweek instead.

Just wondering if anybody here has experience of spending a night on reclining seats on that Stena ferry, and what's it like? To be honest, I'd expect it to be grim enough and the prospect of it doesn't exactly appeal to me, but it's a possibility we have to face up to....

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've not slept on the reclining seats, but this year we took a 6 berth cabin rather than the reclining seats. I'd chance the seats if it was just me, but the possibility of one of the family having a bad night would be too much of a risk. With no cabins left, I think I'd be landbridging it across the UK and letting them sleep in the car. The biggest issue for me with the reclining seats is not the sleeping, but the lack of 'our own space' that we can retreat to during the crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Does it have to be Stena Line? Have ye tried IF or Brittany Ferries? I booked both legs a few weeks back with Brittany Ferries for next year and there were plenty of choice.

Tesco Clubcard tokens. 😊

We've about €300 worth of them at this stage, which converts to €1,200 with Stena or Irish Ferries. Can't use them on Brittany Ferries.

We're in Wexford ourselves, and only about a 40-minute drive from Rosslare. I know IF have a better boat by all accounts, but am not keen on the idea of driving all the way to Dublin only to sail down the east coast again, and then do the same in reverse on the way home.

Wonder if I could persuade the IF skipper to just pull into Rosslare for a few minutes each way, to pick us up and then drop us off on the way home? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Question for anyone that has stayed with a caravan on a site in France. The place were looking at has the option of a pitch with grey water waste and water.. in your experience would that be worth the extra cost (400 in this case for 2wks) never really bothered me on sites in Ireland but this is our first adventure in France with caravan, have always stayed in mobiles over the last 8 trips..🤷🏼‍♂️ TIA

If that’s the only difference in the pitches then I’d say that it’s way too much to pay just to have water and drainage on the pitch, they are never very far away from the pitches normally. It’s always handy to have them on the pitch but €200 per week seems excessive to me.

Ya I was thinking the same, it's a nice extra when u arrive to a site in Ireland and they have it but it won't be a deal breaker, plus I have a 10 & 8 yr old that need to pay off there board😜😜.

It may be worthwhile checking that there is no other difference such as the serviced pitches being in a much more desirable location or much bigger which may make you think more carefully about the option.

• Advertisement

The Serviced sites are 20m² bigger but that's about it. All pitches are in 1 area. But I must check on the map again to make sure no other areas been used. 👍🏼

Advertisement