Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark side of the ring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

If Tony Khan thinks he'll get eyes on his product with Flair he will book him. If he was serious then Sammy Guevara would be gone, Dustin Rhodes would be gone, Tyson would never have been booked, Nick Gage wouldn't have been allowed to step foot in an AEW ring....even Jericho would be gone. Will Osprey could never hope to set foot in AEW etc.

Anyone who wants to succeed in promoting pro wrestling ends up making deals with the carny devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Absolutely no chance of that happening I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They have been.

CarShield have paused all ads with Flair from airing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Ah come on do you really think Vince would suspend Brock of all people for anything ruining the main event of mega payday Saudi show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

This all happened about a month after the first ever brand split back in 2002, the WWE roster was stacked at its peak and all the loose cannons like Flair/Hall/Perfect etc. drafted to the Raw brand who were on this tour

Austin, Taker, HHH, Angle would have been on that plane aswell but I can't recall anything mentioned about them being involved in anything on the flight which is odd, didn't Angle choke Vince on the plane or something crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭ThePott

Anyone else feel like Dustin Rhodes got off very lightly in the episode. Like they didn't go into some of the allegations against him that were as bad if not worse and even painted him as sympathetic? I don't want to get into tribalism but I do feel like DSOTR might be getting to close to AEW in that regard. It was a real oversight in the episode.

Other than that it was horrifying even if it's been well documented in the past. RVD's comment on the drugging of women was the most shocking thing for me, absolutely appalling. The Flair stuff has always been strange especially because of how often it's brushed off as just Ric being Ric or somehow hilarious. I remember seeing it in the 30 for 30 and thinking that it was a really odd thing to put out as 'fun'. Mind you, people often brush off flashing as a joke which is messed up.

Dreamer shot himself in the foot, for no reason except a chance to be interviewed. Definitely always had the reputation as being a nice guy but it seems more likely that he is just loyal to whoever is the most beneficial to him at a given moment, I don't know maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. All I know is he didn't exactly come up smelling like roses after those comments.

I don't think it's so much AEW related as much as contributor related. I think Dustin got off lightly both in the show and after the event because of JR and his friendship with Dusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭briany

Should it be so shocking to anyone that professional wrestling is a sleazy business full of sleazy people? It is a business born out of a carnival con. They even call their fans 'marks' which was originally a term for a person who'd be easy to part from their money. Every time we get a glimpse at what goes on behind the scenes, it's like we can't believe some of the stuff that goes on, but after the steroid fiasco, the brain injury fiasco, the sexual harassment episodes, the medical malpractice revelations and all the stories about bullying we should probably accept that wrestling is one bent business. There'll probably always be something going on behind the scenes, much as there probably will always be stuff going on in Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah Angle and Vince had "takedown challenge" on a plane once. Even the boss getting in on it eh?

That episode of story time has been pulled from network. Along with the plane ride from hell episode

It says a lot about the industry that this is causing a such hubub with people getting suspended and ad campaigns being pulled while poor Daffney comitting suicide a couple of weeks ago is pretty much forgotten.

• Advertisement

The Undertaker on Rogans's podcast earlier this year calling this generation of talent soft for playing video games and using social media shows because when he started they carried knives and drank in the dressing rooms thankfully that mind set of previous generations in wrestling is going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm sure Daffney won't be forgotten. It's a matter of when her story is told.

Perhaps, maybe I'm just saying AEW related because the talent they talk to that are currently in the business are all AEW based. I'm thinking even Jericho wouldn't narrate something that would come down on talent in AEW, especially someone like Dusty who is the brother of an EVP of the company. I don't know maybe I'm making some false connections, I just think it's odd. Even still I would argue that any documentary that can't fully explore a topic because of who they're interviewing isn't a very good or objective work and is showing bias.

Honestly, them not covering Dustin in-depth is one thing but it felt like they went out of their way to make him sympathetic, that's what raised my red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What did Dustin do besides singing that song, stopping flair etc.

Allegedly he grabbed another flight attendant's arms repeatedly. Asked if her breasts were real and said to her; "you and me are going to f*&k'. Grabbed her back side and rubbed his groin into her. He is named in the lawsuit specifically along with Flair and Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just watched it. I think it's safe to say that even Breezango would argue there's a huge difference between the legalities of how someone wears their hair and what Flair did. What was Dreamer thinking?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The flight attendant you wanted no part to play in This documentary?

shitty but wasn’t included as other flight attendant said no

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Indeed, my first thoughts were very sympathetic to Dustin, he seemed like the one good guy in the story.. till I read some comments on 411

I'm aware the flight attendant didn't want to be involved with the documentary but the lawsuit is publicly available to read online and they could easily have had someone read the allegations or actions impartially. Some of their past episodes couldn't even exist without doing that.

My bigger gripe though is the fact they let him off lightly regardless of that. They made him look sympathetic and a guy who was sad and downtrodden, that's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

How are people watching this series? Netflix, amazon etc??? Be very interested to get in to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭cena

Next week's episode is on Chris Kanyon and by early reports Flair doesn't come out of this episode looking much better than he did on this weeks.

Will be interesting to see if they go after Undertaker for Kanyon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Angle was on the Smackdown roster after the brand split. This flight was the Raw roster for the May 2002 UK PPV. The Smackdown UK PPV was in November 2002. Back in those days they had brand-exclusive PPVs and would only bring the rosters together for the major PPVs, like Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, et al.

Kurt Angle wrestling Vince and the Undertaker intervening would have been in either December 2000, May 2001, or November 2001.

How many of you didn't know the severity of the allegations regarding Flair before the episode?

Did the episode really confirm anything you didn't already know? Nearly everything about that flight had been discussed in depth in numerous shoot interviews.

The only real revelatione from the show for me was that Tommy Dreamer seemingly doesn't know how media works and that RVD pretty much openly accused everyone of being a Cosby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭briany

The kind of stuff he's seen go on, seeing Flair corner a stewardess probably wasn't that big a deal to him, and there's also a tendency for wrestlers to stick up for 'the boys'. I think Dreamer forgot that he wasn't doing a shoot interview for Kayfabe Commentaries where he could talk loosely and candidly, and was actually on a show which would be seen by hundreds of thousands of people.

There's probably so much crazy stuff gone on behind the scenes in wrestling over the years that if DSOTR went on long enough it could probably get every single wrestler who started by 2005 cancelled.

And the whole thing about Flair was a revelation... to mainstream media and advertisers, which is the most damning kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This is one of many things I've seen mentioned but never looked into it, so this was all pretty much new info to me.

Huge if but "if" they did it'd be very interesting to see what wrestler would work as a talking head and say something against taker. It would be the kiss of death for any career. Would imagine Jericho would refuse to narrate it too. Omerta all the way.

• Advertisement

Tommy Dreamer released a statement, I honestly think from reading it he still doesn't understand what he said was wrong.

“Regarding my comments made on Dark Side of the Ring

It was never my intention to offend, hurt or victim shame anyone

I understand my comments were insensitive and could trigger emotions in someone’s own personal past.

I do not condone sexual misconduct of any kind.

I apologize to anyone I offended.

From the bottom of my heart

I am so sorry”

Advertisement