Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Just to be clear: I have never said that Ireland should have adopted Australian policies or that, if it had, it would have got Australian results. In fact I have said the opposite, several times. Ireland's situation, socially and geographically, is very different from Australia's, and while Ireland can probably learn from the Australian experience the lesson will not be "do what the Australians did and you will get the results that Australia got".

My only claim is that Australian policies have been the right policies for Australia, and that they have produced - and continue to produce - better results for Australia than other countries have achieved with their policies, and than Australia would likely achieve if it adopted other countries' policies.

I'm very far from using deaths "as a kind of one-upmanship", but I do maintain they are the most important metric (though not the only metric) for evaluating any Covid strategy. The main thing we want is for people not to die. The suggestion that we should discount Covid deaths, and make choices about Covid strategies without regard to the implications for death rates, is simply depraved.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the vaccination target isn't 70% of the full population, but of the eligible population, which is only 56% of Australia's full population.

As of today, Ireland has 71.4% of our total population vaccinated which should rise to over 75% in the coming weeks judging by the percentage of first doses, and we are still having to proceed with extreme caution. There are tough times ahead for Australia, with very tough decisions to be made about what level of loss is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I for one have been wanting to get off this not so lovely island and move to that one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Hopefully, 'democratic' Australian government will let to to return home. If you beg them properly. Ask Matt Damon, he might share the secret..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't aim on returning to Australia; NZ is the intended destination. Obviously one can't get in yet, but I don't really mind as I have a lot of other time consuming pratical things to do first, like unloading properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think you are correct, 70% of the eligible population, you are assuming that when Australia get to 70% they'll drop every restriction in the one go, what makes you think that will be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

I don't assume that at all! But if you look at the link in my second to last post, the Doherty modelling (which is the only modelling the national plan is being informed by) is built around many assumptions, most of which the government seem to have chosen to ignore. It's a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Perhaps you should look at excess deaths rather than so called Covid deaths. Excess deaths in Ireland in 2020 were up by just approx 600 on 2019. I can't remember exact figures, but I posted this info earlier when somebody was spouting sh1te on here.

Lots of those who died with Covid, were dying anyway. Have overall deaths dropped in Australia in 2020 v 2019?

EDIT: 31,765 v 31,134

Post edited by Chivito550 on

Excess deaths in Ireland for 2020 are less than deaths attributable to Covid because the Covid precautions of lockdown, social isolation, etc, as well as averting Covid deaths, also averted many non-Covid deaths - e.g. deaths from flu - that would otherwise have occurred.

You ask if overall deaths dropped in Australia in 2020? The answer is yes, they did; excess deaths in Australia for 2020 were negative 4,080. This is because relatively few people died of covid in Australia in 2020 (909, to be precise) and the effect of the Covid precautions on flu, etc, deaths was substantially greater than this. (And note that this was achieved with much less in the way of lockdowns, social distancing, masking, etc than Ireland had. Presumably the tougher and longer Irish restrictions would have had a proportionately greater effect on Irish flu, etc, deaths, which would explain a large gap between reported covid deaths and excess deaths.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It looks like they are making progress?

From rte https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0917/1247293-coronavirus-australia/

The federal government's reopening plans are predicated on Australia reaching a 70-80% vaccination rate for its adult population.

The national rate is currently at around 45%, but is expected to pick up speed with just over 70% of people over the age of 16 having received a first dose.

For anyone who lives there how is the vaccine rollout working? Are there centres everywhere? Are there walk in vaccination centres or do you have to register? Is there much vaccine skepticism?

Vaccine administration is being handled jointly by the feds and the state governments, so arrangements vary slightly from state to state, and within states they may vary from place to place, and there may be more than one way of getting the vaccine. The availability of walk-in vaccination varies; for example in NSW there are walk-in centres, but they are open to over-18s only, only offer the AZ vaccine, and I think are all located in the Sydney Metro region. So if you can't get to one, or are under 18, or want a vaccine other than AZ, you need to register.

SFAIK, if you go to a walk-in centre, that's for first dose only. Since they want to deliver the doses at the recommended interval, when you go for your first dose they register you and give you a booking for your second (which you can later change, if you need to). So your second dose is never walk-in.

It's hard to know how much vaccine scepticism there is. There is plenty of anecdote about vaccine scepticism, but right now the main constraint on getting jabs into arms is limited supply. All the vaccine the authorities are able to supply, people are taking. Presumably there will come a point where vaccines are available but people are refusing them but, until that point comes, we have no real way of knowing how big that issue will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

This weekend Queensland are doing walk in vaccines for Pfizer for anyone. Also note that the vaccination rate is only counting over 16s. Vaccines are available to over 12s. I saw loads of school kids under 16 getting it when I was getting it.

If, as Peregrinus says the main constraint is supply, then won't there be a shortage of vaccines in Queensland this weekend and a number of people who will queue but won't get one?

That was the initial problem earlier in the year, and why the rollout is only really ramping up now. But future supply is good as far as I know.

Also you can walk into nearly any pharmacy is QLD at anytime and get AstraZeneca.

Again, what those of us living on ground here in Australia are seeing strongly indicates that vaccine targets will be met.

If Pfizer is going to be available for walk in this weekend, I can't see there being much demand, if any, for AZ from now on.

They should call time on it and ship to Africa where it will get used.

According to the Queensland Government's website, walk-ins are offered at a limited number of vaccination centres only. Their preference is that people would register an interest on the website and then wait to be offered an appointment, which is consistent with the idea that, yeah, supplies are still quite constrained. My guess is that walk-ins are offered as and when they may help to reduce the risk that supplies of vaccine that are about to expire go unused.

At current vaccination rates QLD is projected to hit the 70%-of-over-16s target around 20 November, and 80% around 10 December. But of course vaccination rates could change between now and then, depending on the federal government's success or lack of it, in securing supplies, and/or the possibility that vaccine resistance could emerge as a significant factor before one or other of those targets is reached. So, really, the targets will be reached when they are reached.

A quick google search will tell you that they are getting donated to regional neighbours, PNG, east timor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

And moderna is coming from next week I think

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

I've seen footages from last Australian anti-lockdown riots. Appalling.

A lot of innocent people, who wants to live their life, were beaten, abused and humiliated by Australian police.

Australia turned into North Korea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Clearly this elderly woman was such a severe threat that the police had to knock her to the ground and stand over her spraying pepper spray in her face. Anything is justified when you consider a certain group to be subhuman plague rats.

That picture could be from literally anywhere. Your posts would be funny if they weren’t so pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

The government in Sydney and Melb are trying to get a pandemic under control, mass gatherings are unhelpful and these fücking morons were told what would happen if they turned up. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

there was even a demonstration here in Perth, where we don’t even have any restrictions apart from using a QR code when entering a premises. What sort of mouth breathing imbecile comes out to protest in such an environment?

I suppose if you were living here in Perth you would be out there gral?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's what people do in a democracy and just because you vehemently disagree with them doesn't give you an excuse to be so self-righteous. We know, in non Zero COVID parts of the world, this outdoor stuff doesn't really have much effect on cases but vaccination rates will so you might want to focus your considerable energy on encouraging people to get their jabs.

Yes they could be, but they are police officers and that is not a good look anywhere. The caption suggests they are in Australia and I suspect the uniform confirms it.

Mmm. The anti-lockdown protests also seem to double as anti-vaccination protests. And anti-5G protests. And the rest.

How old do you reckon the person on the ground is?

Yeah, we have tiny ones too from time to time and we just ignore them as one should. Too many more important things to be concerned about instead.

That's not important at all. I was looking at the actual police officer and unless it's string that is a very bad look for law enforcement. Don't they teach them how to manage a crowd or how to use de-escalation tactics?

• Advertisement

But you have zero context how do you know what happened before the photo was taken? That other vaccine denier just claimed it was old woman based on nothing and you just believed it.

Advertisement