Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim only plan

• 18-09-2021 8:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Are many people doing sim only these days? I pay 60 a month on Vodafone, I can’t help but feel this is just an absolute rip off these days?!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've been sim only for the last number of years, if you don't have a phone on contract there's no point not being on anything else apart from a sim only plan.

The only way to justify the price of a contract these days is to think that it's simply paying for your phone monthly while throwing in some data and calls every month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I gave up on full contract plans years ago, sim only is fantastic but keep in mind your Phone may need to be sim free (un locked) if your changing networks and coverage check also, Urban areas generally fine but rural locations I'd check to be on the safe side. Finally also considered you'll need to finance your device upgrades rather than doing full contracts were devices are heavily subsidised. More and more networks moving to sim only offerings, getting away from costly handsets and subsidies.

I'm very lucky, GoMo @ €9.99 pm , long since increased to for new customers but there's offers from as little as €7.99 up to €30 per month , just check what the offer is, calls ,texts, data. I've unlimited calls , texts, and around 100gb data per month (loads for me )

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Im currently on a 14.99 a month sim only for unlimited everything with eir, but since moving to the east side of the country I find the coverage to be shite... I am considering moving to Vodafone but their sim only plan is very dear - €35 a month rising to €45 after 6 months... you may aswell just put the extra 15 or 20 on and get a phone for the 60 a month...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Yes I noticed the VF sim only plan is expensive, actually doesn’t really make sense if you can afford the 60 you may aswell get that.

what are the thoughts on pay as you go? Seems to be some good deals available on that just by topping up 20 euro a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

An Post Mobile they use the Vodafone network €15 pm

• Advertisement

Personally & IMO, pay as you go option seems crazy when there is far better deals on 30 day sim only deals. Pay as you go seems restrictive, you get this but you don't get that, data limits, add ons and then having to remember to top up, sounds like a pain in the ass to me and doesn't appear to offer value, if this is your choice check carefully what the actual package is, some offer unlimited calls for same network, some for all, some offer unlimited texts, some offer limited data, I'm actually getting a migraine thinking about it 🙄😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Think the last time I had a contract was 10+ years ago with O2 (yes, O2) allowed you to pick your own number.

if you can afford the upfront cost of buying an iPhone, sim only makes perfect sense. I pay €9.99 a month, €120 a year, I pay what you pay in two months for a whole year.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Yeah, I haven't looked back since I took the pain of buying an iPhone outright from Apple and going with Gomo for 9.99 a month when it launched. I sat down and did the maths on how much the overall purchase price of a top of the range smartphone on a contract is.

An iPhone 13 Pro 256gb handset costs 1,299 euro from Apple. My gomo account costs me 9.99 a month, or 120 a year. Total cost = 1418 euro, or 1538 euro for two years service along with the purchase price of the phone.

The same phone from Vodafone, say, on its middle gauge Red Unlimited deal costs 699.99 up front, and then a 24 month contract at 60 euro a month. Total cost is 2140 euro.

There's an 602 euro difference. That's a lot to spend extra. What are you actually getting for that 602 euro? I suppose arguably Vodafone has better coverage than Eir (which is the network behind Gomo) and it offers maybe faster speeds, but even so.

Basically if you can in any way afford to buy a handset outright, you'll save a lot. The more expensive the handset, the more you'll save. I haven't done the maths but I suspect that even on cheaper handsets, it's probably still cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Definitely sounds like the better option alright, I’m out of contract now so may look at buying phone outright then go sim only or go back to pay as you go!! There’s a decent looking unlimited pay as you go option for Vodafone and can do an auto top up so don’t have to remember to do so!!

If your device still fine, I'd just request an network unlock anyway as your out of contract (alot of people forget to do this) helps if you want to sell on or for example or if you wanted to try other networks.

If your considering moving to prepay with same network or indeed sim only, don't forget that even if out of contract some networks require a 30 day notice period, albeit unlikely if staying with existing network, basically don't delay, get cracking if you want to save. I used to work in the industry and lost count of the amount of people out of contract, continuing to pay full contract prices for months and years, needlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Doonbegman

I went with GoMo when they first launched-great value and I never had any issues with coverage. When I was changing to SIM free a friend recommended to buy a ONE PLUS phone which is a brilliant phone, it also highlighted that the make/model of phone can have an impact on coverage. About 18 months after I bought my new phone/switched network I had to send the phone in for repair (my own fault) and I went back to my old Samsung Phone and whilst I was using the old phone I had issues with coverage especially when using the internet. Normally I would have blamed it on the network, but in this particular case it was definitely the phone.

Have to agree , often networks get blamed for coverage issues but I remember specifically two devices, a Samsung and Huawei that had serious issues with coverage , months went by and eventually after 1000's of similar issues complaints narrowed down to two devices, it turned out the Samsung model had a software issue and Huawei model an athenna issue. Older apple devices, the 7 had issues also , more a network flashing settings issue if I re call correctly.

I'm using the P30 , best phone I ever had.

Like yourself I'm on the €9.99 gomo deal, I get a giggle each time the bill arrives 🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

What's the GoMo service like? I had a friend go to them and then packed them in after 2 months as he found their reception very patchy and their data speeds extremely slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭nagel

Clearmobile.ie is a offshot of vodafone currently offering unlimited data calls texts for 12.99 if you move from eir theee or gomo. 14.99 from others,

same coverage as vodafone, downside data limited to 5mb download

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have been sim only for near 10 years!

Eir then GoMo and currently with 48 @ 7.99 per month. Absolutely flawless so far.....fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

I've found gomo to be fantastic. It's the one bill that I actively enjoy seeing land in my mailbox each month, as it reminds me of how much I'm saving and how much I used to pay in the past (granted I was also paying for a handset each month before I went with gomo.)

Obviously, different people's mileage will vary, but I've found the network coverage to be really good. The data speeds aren't great, but it does tip up into 5G when that's available. The speeds in my house are pretty bad - 3 or 4mbs down and the same up - but I don't care because I have 1GB wifi, so I only need it when I leave the house and it's grand. Certainly worth it for the money.

Advertisement