Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Gorgeous photo above unfortunately wall to wall cloud here with heavy showers.

South Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Had a look at Claremorris daily wind data for this year and pretty much as we ourselves observed on here (daily data from Jan 1st to yesterday the 16th)

Very notable lack of wind throughout much of the year, which was certainly most felt during the numerous warm spells that have occurred since July. Even now as I type this, there isn't even the slightest flutter of a leaf outside. Just the usual dead, motionless overhang.

Eireann Met from Data.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Autumn has arrived today and the extended dry spell since the 21st of August has come to an end. A wet morning here in Meath. Looks like Autumn will get going properly from Tuesday/Wednesday of next week and the final week of September may be cooler than average too and much more unsettled.

The CET should come down alot by the end of the month for those worrying about warm Septembers and possible impact with winter.

Beautiful morning. Warm sunshine. Bliss.

Co. Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Damp here in Castlebar with overcast skies. Quite miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a nice day here in Meath and feeling fairly mild at 18C. This morning was lovely with plenty of warm sunshine but much more cloud around since lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Well defined cold front approaching from the west. Rain radar says rain on the Laois-Tipperary border around 14 miles west of here.

Under the front looking NE... well defined front. Some evaporation at mid levels evident on the left of this snap which corresponds to a bright radar echo return just outside Abbeyleix on the 6.45pm return...

The 6.45pm return...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Third band of rain today, a few heavy bursts during the cold front and getting some moderate rain now, 5.2mm

Overcast and quite dull all day , alternating between the garage and getting a few jobs done around the place as the rain cleared between the fronts.

Only got up to 15.5C today and currently 13.7C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

In general good day today in Meath was thinking by forecast a lot of rain, but very little. Enjoyed a family birthday this eve outside

No rain yet here at Dunshaughlin, any rain that headed this way died away before it got here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Stone splitting sun the last few hours in North Wicklow.

It's a bed day with the air-con full blast for us - in mid-end September this is very worrying about how hot and dry Ireland is getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Not if you stand outside here, it feels like a nice June morning.

I'm outside myself and it's nice, but not "hot" and certainly not worthy of aircon.

I rsspectfully disagree from my own location. Saying it's 13.1 shows your ignorance to how it feels standing outside in the sun as I can assure you it feels very hot here. In the house here it is stuffy and needs air conditioning. It's a matter of personal opinion of course as to what is acceptable and what isn't but to me the last few weeks in particular are unbearably sticky, humid and dry; and people who think it is acceptable need to read up on global warming.

another nice relatively sunny and mild day here in Meath. No sign of any rain from last night, the grass is dry.

Looks to be very little if any rain over eastern areas till possibly Thursday or Friday. Western and northern areas most at risk from rain or showers over the next few days and it will stay relatively mild till possibly next weekend. This September is looking like it will finish overall very dry and temperatures well above average for the entire month. The warm temperature anomaly is mainly due to the very mild nights we have had throughout the month. Night time temperatures here have held up in the double figures, by now we should have had several single digit night times under our belt.

After a dry and warm September, if we end up with a very unsettled October it does not bode well for the coming winter.

I hope from here on in it will be nothing but unsettled. I'm not fussed about a cold winter or snow for that matter, but I really hope that Storm force 11 winds are a regular feature this winter along with copious amounts of rain, hail and thunder. I think we deserve a bit a life in the skies after what must have been the most prolonged period of boring, lifeless weather in decades.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Stunning day in the midlands

To follow up a lovely day yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Billcarson

A potential disaster of a winter in store for those who like cold spells.

The night time temperatures have been very noticeable. The lowest I've recorded so far is 10c. Usually by now would be a number of single digit figures even in August but not so this Yr.

Last August and September had plenty single digit minimum temperatures. At the end of last August temperatures for example feel as low as 5c at my location one night, certainly nothing like that this year.

Just don't think it bodes well at all.

You may want to take a look at today's update from Gavsweather with the winter updates, very interesting particularly the zonal wind long range forecast over the coming few months. Also currently the sea surface temperatures in the North Atlantic and Pacific Ocean are almost identical to what they were during mid September 2010.

If your house is stuffy, open the windows. To say your location is a unique hotspot that is unbearably hot today is just nonsense. The highest in the area has been 19 C. There is very nice warmth in the sunshine on the skin alright, but the air is not as hot as you seem to making out. I'm not sure how somewhere can be "sticky, humid and dry" at the same time? Which is it?

How does weather become "unacceptable"? Are you thinking of lodging a complaint about it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fine day in Greystones and Dublin today. Did the Kish Race. Perfect weather for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Lovely weekend of weather in Bray which I wasn't expecting. Got sun-burnt today doing the last Hedge cut of the year. Air temp might not have broken the 20's but it was roasting with the sun hitting the skin with the house sheltering me from the Sea Breeze.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Did you fly a spinnaker DOCARCH , and tell us how did you did in the race 😀 Some big boats only a bit ahead of you on the pic above. On corrected time Id say you were doing quite well there, lighter winds might have favored the smaller boats today ?

Similar in Galway. Temps about 17/18c but doing bits and bobs out the front all day, that sun was incredibly warm. Very much like an average April day except no nice coolness in the shade. Sunshine itself was nice though.

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

All I will say is it's about the taking part! 😉 The first picture was at the start of the race and the second picture halfway through....note no other boats to be seen! Did not put spinnaker up as it was only me and my son out today.

Ah, I see. Great to be out on the water on a day like today, well done to you both.

• Advertisement

I'd second the 'great grass growing conditions' Lush green grass at the moment. A fabulous year for making fodder and feeding stock around these parts.

Co. Leitrim.

Advertisement