Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

If its just boots and jeans etc that you've worn during a terrible murder, why not burn them in a fireplace inside away from view?

excellent point. I presume Jules has an open fireplace. You could cut up the jeans. If he did it maybe he didn't think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The killer knew she was alone at the house, quite alone, no lovers etc.... Also the killer knew that she was there quite possibly for a short period of time. The killer could also have asked her if she was alone, without arising suspicion, like if it was a corrupt police officer.

I'd also say, the killer came by car, not on foot. A man alone of a certain height and stature at 2 to 4am would most likely be remembered in somebody's mind than an a car driving by where the license plates were not so quickly to be read....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LeVealerooooo

Why hasn’t anybody here suggested Bill Hogan? They were friends, and he’s very anti Ian Bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Again.... What utter nonsense.

Are you seriously suggesting that a person going about their lawful business can be tarnished by some backward thinking, inbred, amateur sleuths?

So... A couple of hillbillies see smoke rising from Baileys residence.. As he wasn't even a suspect at that point, they pay no notice of it..

Fast forward to Bailey being arrested and interrogated.. All of a sudden, the two old dears recall Bailey burning his kill suit around the back of the house.

Enter the 'Defective Detective'..

After listening to the ambulance chasers, and lets face it - probably realising that these two old dolls can be taught some new tricks quite easily.. refreshes their memories into realising they had just witnessed a brutal murderer burning his blood soaked clothes, and they are now among the most important people in Ireland..

Thank God we have the DPP... if we were to listen to people like you, we'd be afraid to take a crap for fear of being accused of getting rid of some incriminating possible evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Why not....?

Does that make you a murderer??

Actually... you're right. He lit a fire and bought some bleach..

Should be hung - No doubt about it!

Too me, them two points seal the deal. He did it!

Thanks for bringing this thread to a successful conclusion. At least now we know it was definitely Bailey.

Jesus Christ spare me these people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

My in laws are from West Cork.. It is really common to burn rubbish in rural areas. Having a fire was not unusual.

If Bailey made his way back from Sophies House is blood stained clothes then either the car or the road would have bloody marks.

Surely it would be very hard to get blood out of a car? I don't believe Jules (or her daughters) would lie for him if the car had blood stains.

If he walked a few miles surely he would have left some sort of evidence on route?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

It seems strange that the gate was never deemed to be of any value. Even if it is the case that only Sophies blood was found on it, at the very least there would be a number of fingerprints on there. Her own obviously but also her neighbours would be on there too and others aswell potentially. The like of Leo who would be attending to the horses and visiting Alfie. Most fingerprints would be around the catch to open the gate so could it be determined who's fingerprints were on top, as in who touched the gate most recently? Might not point to the murderer, as they may never have had to touch it, but at the very least it would be a line of enquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

What the gardai thought was unusual was 1. the fire was practically outside the back door of the house. 2. according to witnesses it was burning on St. Stephen's day and 3. they denied it was over Christmas, they said it was November or early December. It was in February that the gardai examined it and Eugene Gilligan said it was more recent than that.

Whoever killed Sophie would have been bloodstained, but they weren't bleeding themselves so we don't have to imagine blood streaming out of them like a sponge being squeezed all the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

Ok. The Fire story. Along with the scratches. These are things that Jules Thomas said didn't happen. Is she an accessory to Murder?

Not from what we know. Even if the gardai are correct in disbelieving them, he could be completely innocent and it just seemed to make more sense to minimise what appeared in hindsight to be suspicious activities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

I've been trying to find a screenshot but can't find one from the Netflix series where they showed the remains of the fire. I agree that it looks very odd, the fire was right outside the door. Crazy having a fire so close to the house especially if it was to burn something big like a mattress. At the very least it looks a bit crap having a big burnt patch right outside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What would be the theoretical benefit of having it there from the point of view of someone trying to dispose of evidence? You could keep a close watch on it and make sure nothing blew away?

Maybe to prevent it being seen? It looks like there's another house directly behind the 'studio' house, maybe another one north of it too?

Jules Thomas is emphatic that there were no scratches but normal scrapes that were the result of Ian cutting down a tree something her daughter witnessed him doing. There were no new scratches on the morning of the 23rd. She said yes there was a fire but as far as she could recall much earlier maybe October or November. She denies all allegations about her movements on the 23rd and says that the investigators manipulated statements.

Anyone, like yourself, who persists with debating things, like whether Ian knew Sophie etc. is saying that Jules is a liar and that her daughters are also part of this conspiracy to evade justice. There is no other way.

Shirley Foster discovered the body and Alfie Lyons had a bandaged hand but not only was her alibi for Alfie seen as rock solid she was also able to place Jules and Ian at the scene of the crime much earlier than they said they arrived there.

Jules or Shirley is telling lies. Which one?

You persist with giving creedence to other witness statements on the morning of the 23rd whose accounts differ from those of Ian and Jules.

You have written extensively on this. Do you believe that Jules is a liar?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

Maybe not to destroy the grass. Also that is probobly not the first bonfire ever had at the property so perhaps that's just where the bonfire takes place. So the bonfire prior to that one may have been in the exact same spot but prior to any murder.

The thing is, that in the house Ian lived, there would have been too many people around for things to go completely unnoticed, if Ian actually really came home his clothes full of blood. Or he took a shower and changed clothes at the Studio before returning to Jules, - after all that's a separate house a bit further away.

In general, I always thought that either Shirley or Jules knew a lot more than they were telling. Maybe they should come forward, if this murder can ever be solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

You have excluded one possibility here. She just thinks he didn`t do it and she is prepared to fib a bit to help what is in her mind an innocent man. He probably never confessed to her that he did it. He certainly wouldn`t have returned to a house full of people covered in blood stained clothes when he could have went to the studio down the road to clean up. She hasn`t a clue what he was up to during the 8 or 9 hours he was out of bed and had no reason not to believe he was writing his article. She believes him. Plenty here seem to too.

There is no doubt there were scratches on his hands and a scratch on his forehead. The question is when, how and why there might be confusion? Any time the family ask about the scratches he tells them the xmas tree, the turkeys etc. So for a few weeks nobody thinks anything about that until the Gardaí come knocking and get specific....."Ah yes....but when did ye all first notice the scratches? Was it before or after the night of the 22nd?" Jules acknowledges that she didn`t notice the scratch on his head until after the murder. She just accepts that it was there and she didn`t see it because his hair was covering it.

It is possible that Jules didn`t have clear memory of the timing of events on the 23rd and 24th and allowed herself to be led by Bailey on it. In the days after the murder he had to build a timeframe as best he could around when he first heard about the murder from Cassidy. This included putting Jules in Goleen on the 24th rather than the 23rd. But James Camier, the vegetable seller in Goleen has been specific in both his statement and also under cross examination by Bailey`s counsel. Jules Thomas was the first person to tell him about the murder on the morning of the 23rd before 11-30. From 2pm on the 23rd the murder was national news.

It is virtually impossible that James Camier has his dates mixed up and didn`t hear about the murder for another 24 hours. The same would apply to Bill Fuller.

With all due respect, I'm not addressing this to you

• Advertisement

There were several other people, including one daughter coming home at 2.30am and noticing absolutely nothing amiss, in fact she heard snoring from Ian/jules room.

Not to mention the friend coming to stay on 23rd for Christmas, I mean... Imagine you've just murdered someone and welcoming a house full of young adults, coming and going. To believe bailey is guilty must also assume they were all complicit in some way, or absolutely oblivious which seems implausible either way.

Either that or he's a psychopathic mastermind who hoodwinked them all, and frankly, he isnt.

Makes complete sense. I'd say if he was sill in bed with Jules at 2.30 am and that can be said reliably by the daughter, it's extremely difficult for Bailey to actually complete the murder in time, and not making use of a car. The main reason, why I think that Bailey is innocent is that no traces of him have been found at the murder scene, no fingerprints, no DNA, no hair, no fiber from his clothes, he also wasn't seen by anybody there. To date we also have no real credible motive for Bailey for the murder.

However regarding time frame it would still have been possible:

If the daughter was then asleep by 3.00 am, Bailey would sneak out of the house, to make it to Sophie at 4.00 am at the earliest. Would Sophie even have opened him the door at this time of the hour, not recognizing his voice? Suppose the bashing of Sophie's head was 10 to 15 minutes after meeting Bailey at the door. Bailey would then hiked home, blood all over himself, have returned home by 5.00 am at the earliest, most likely 6.00 am, shower at the studio, put on new clothes, clean up the mess, and be done by around 7.00 am in the morning. ( It would still have been dark at this time of the year...) Friends showing up at Jules house not before 9am, I would guess?

Ariana said she heard about the murder on the bus down to West Cork so it was late in the afternoon before she got to the house.

As pointed out by others above, there are conflicting accounts all over this case. That doesn't mean they are deliberately lying or covering up for someone. According to some there's a long list of witnesses in this case and most, if not all of them, were coerced or wanted to ingratiate themselves with the gardai for selfish reasons. It seems incredible that they would maintain this knowing someone could spend years in prison, right up until GSOC interviewed them again between 2102 and 2107/2018. It's not for me to say who is lying, that's for a jury or a judge. I know during the libel trial, the judge felt the witnesses for the newspapers, whom the DPP wrote off, were more convincing under cross examination and the judge accepted they were telling the truth.

It's irrelevant WHEN she arrived, can you not see how unrealistic it is that you'd even have people come and stay if trying to conceal the fact you'd just murdered someone?

I feel like common sense is largely missing from the entire garda narrative to be perfectly honest.

The problem is that Ian Bailey's limited "freedom" hangs by the thin thread that Ireland won't extradite him on a European arrest warrant. This is regardless of the question whether the trial in France was fair or not. Bailey can in my understanding only roam around Ireland freely and quite possibly can't even return to his native UK, as the UK authorities would quite possibly have to extradite him to France as well?

The main question which will be on Bailey's constant mind, is how long can the Republic of Ireland stay steadfast on this, plus I am sure that there will be general international pressures for Ireland to change this attitude, regardless of the Sophie Toscan du Plantier murder case or not.

And now, 25 years on, any kind of a fair re-trial with evidence and witnesses seems impossible. To date there is also nothing, not a single piece of evidence, that ties Bailey to the murder scene. And then there is the legal cost as well, plus Bailey seems to have unpaid legal bills from previous trials in Ireland as well?

He was gone before 2-30. She heard Jules snoring. I think they were probably all oblivious at the time. And he has hoodwinked nobody really. If he had we wouldn`t discussing any of this. The fact is he got lucky that he didn`t leave any trace of himself at the the scene, he just about got away with destroying the incriminating clothes. The rest is a shitshow but it seems people are happy to accept his versions and ignore the overwhelming testimony of a significant number of witnesses. Sure it`s all a big setup. Oh by the way,....I`ve been re-reading Gemma`s Village piece....the genesis of the confession in Bandon or lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Where did Jules' daughter come home from in the early hours of the 23rd? Would she have passed Ian if he was making his way towards Sophie's house? Is this the same daughter that contradicts Jules' statement that she didn't leave the house on the morning of the 23rd? If so she would likely say if she had seen somebody on the road as she was coming home.

With regard to the fire: If Bailey is the culprit, then like others have said he likely went back to the studio after the murder. Maybe he climbed into bed there, still in his clothes. Hence the need to burn the mattress and bed clothes. Bleach to clean up the room once the bed etc. was destroyed?

Just a theory to counter the arguments I've seen that say the stuff that is known to have been burned is not relevant to the murder.

Like I've said before I'm on the fence as to whether he did it or not.

• Advertisement

This is all in your imaginary narrative, you understand?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement