Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

can you not see how unrealistic it is that you'd even have people come and stay if trying to conceal the fact you'd just murdered someone?

Not really, because to stop it you would have to call it off at very short notice, and rem there were few mobile phones about then. Also, it wasn't really Bailey having guests over, it is Jules house.

The more relevant evidence is: what did these people notice about Baileys behaviour the days after the murder. I can't believe that a human being could go through the trauma of that night, psychological and physical, and show no behavioral anomaly signs to those living with him in the following days. Absolutely impossible I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Of course. All my imagination. But the facts are he says he got up not long after going to bed. Ariana comes in at 2-30 and there`s no sign of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

You've given me an idea, could the studio have been used as a refuge by the killer and IB/JT then decided to clean up the scene for some reason.

I can't help thinking that IB may indeed be compromised in some peripheral way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Its an interesting angle but we have no likely candidate who would need to use the studio as a refuge, and given how many people lived there not the best port in a storm.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Sorry...not Ariana....I meant the daughter that came home at 2-30.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

We've heard a few things about the record of Judge Moran in this case. You are well aware of something very suspicious as regards the questioning of Jules Thomas. This is that some Guards were recorded discussing their displeasure with a colleague, who had taken Jules' statement when arrested, because he had written down that she was a truthful witness. They felt they would have to do something about this. She is effectively giving a solid alibi for someone who could be looking at spending years in prison if they don't have one, and these Guards would prefer he didn't have one and are wondering how to get it changed. Is that incredible? What more were they prepared to do?

So you are not correct in saying that the Guards "disbelieved" her. Quite the opposite. Some Guards found her truthful statement problematic but the Guard who took her statement believed her. It cannot be stressed enough that following 61 days in Court the 'State' decided to invoke the statute of limitations which meant that this particular fact, among others, could not be deliberated upon by a jury.

There are conflicting accounts all over this case because some witnesses are lying for whatever reason. Jules Thomas isn't one of them. There can only be diametrically opposite accounts of events if someone lies. The only problem with your kind of "right on all sides" argument is that we have a recorded conversation which is particularly damning for anybody who is suggesting Jules Thomas could be lying or not telling the full truth. The problem that the Guards have/had is that this information didn't come out until they had "built their case". Is it any wonder they didn't want to co-operate with GSOC.?

I think it's a very simple question to answer given the benefit of certain things which have come to light. I believe Jules Thomas was giving a truthful account of events on Dec 23rd 1996 when questioned in Feb 1997. I believe other witnesses are lying. Some of them have to be.

I don't believe Jules Thomas is a liar. Do you?

Arianna didn't arrive till the next day. Virginia, I think, I arrived home in the early hours and went to bed. Presumably I&J were in bed?

There's no exact times in any of this, except at some point he got up to write an article which was due in earlier than usual with it being Christmas week. This has been verified by the newspaper and the editor who contacted him the next day to make sure he met the deadline.

So according to your theory, we have a half drunk IB who not only murdered a woman in a very tight time frame, he wrote an article about Internet coming to West Cork AND had it published days later!!

Man's a frickin mastermind.

Who knows when he wrote the article. It would have only been a ruse for what he got up to while he wasn`t in bed for approximately 8 hours. Not just for the Gardaí but initially for Jules. I don`t necessarily think Jules was an accessory here. She certainly doesn`t have to be part of any clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Not impossible at all. I've already mentioned Wayne O'Donoghue going to Robert Holohan's parents house to offer to help search just hours after concealing his body. Larry Murphy went home and had sex with his wife after spending the night raping a woman in multiple locations and getting caught red handed in the act of trying to smother her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 cf80irl

Of course the gate was deemed to be of evidentiary value! They would have swabbed the beejaysus out of it to determine whose blood was on it and whether there was any other evidence on it that could point to the killer.

There is a big difference between not being of any value full stop (which wasn't the case) and the gate no longer being of evidentiary value...the latter suggests that the forensics team determined that they had collected any and all evidence from it that could likely generate a DNA profile/point towards a particular individual.

Now you could argue that something like that should possibly be kept/stored longterm, but I can see why they might need to dispose of it. It's not a sample contained in a small bag, it's a full-sized metal gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

It's a possibility of course but unlikely in my mind. We know a lot about the various goings on in the locality at the time and we know a lot of the people who were in the locality. Who would have such a grip on Ian and Jules that they would not alone give them refuge in the studio but also cover their tracks, lie for them and go on to have their lives ruined by withholding information that clears their names of the murder (though in this scenario they are liable to prosecution as accessories and perverting the course of justice).

If you were going down that road I would go so far as to say it would have to be one of the family that's being covered for. But then who's the most likely in the family to have done it, Ian is. Hardly one of Jules' daughters being protected.

The simplest answer is usually the right one and in this theory it's Ian who's most likely to have used the studio after the murder.

The representative of a pharmaceutical supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I honestly wouldn't mind, if Bailey was really guilty, even if we had the death penalty for crimes like this. However the problem is that we have simply no evidence, nothing, zero. Sentencing somebody to 25 years in jail without evidence is just ludicrous.

It's beyond my imagination how a man can be sentenced for murder in a civilized country like France, if there is no evidence, nothing linking him to the crime at all. This is all regardless, if he would have had the time and opportunity to sneak out at night to Sophie's house and kill her and come back, and nobody noticing a thing. We would need evidence, fingerprints, DNA, hair, fiber of clothes, footprints of his shoes / boots, etc..

And the thing is, what does speaks in Bailey's favour, is that he was the first to volunteer DNA and hair samples.

In the end, if there is no evidence any of us here in this forum could have done it and could be sentenced. Guilty beyond reasonable doubt is there for a reason.

It's up to the police to gather the evidence, and to the judge and jury to pass a verdict based on the evidence they're presented. If the police did such a lousy job then the killer, whoever is will always be free. After all none of us were there, when it happened, thus we need evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

And don't forget Ted Bundy who had a cache of dead women he'd killed for his necrophilia habit. All the while going home to his girlfriend Liz like nothing was astray.

What about the scratches/deep wounds from briars and barbed wire? She couldn't miss those. Having knowledge that someone has committed a criminal act makes one an accessory. Did those scratches exist and she kept it quiet or didn't they?

We've many times outlined the alleged scenario by which a drunk Bailey hiked by moonlight, chased down and brutally murdered Sophie, and then hiked back. This scenario is not comparable to Wayne O Donaghue, and Bailey certainly is no Larry Murphy.

He was a functioning alcoholic then, a barely functioning one now.

He did not then and does not now have the psychological ability to hide such a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sy Kick

I don't think it is necessarily true he would have been overworked or overloaded.

If we take it that there are two scenarios one where he is guilty and one where he is innocent.

It is only in the innocent scenario that he wrote his article that night. In this case he genuinely needed to meet the deadline. Him and Jules just forgot to say all this to gardai at first and then corrected themselves and said he got up in the night and wrote his article. He then Got a few hours sleep then. Next day he did his journalistic snooping job as you would expect when he got word of the murder.

In the guilty scenario the deadline article was only cooked up to explain him leaving the house. He could have written the article any time. Days earlier. So in this scenario he would return home after the deed and either get a couple of hours sleep or be so up on adrenalin that he got no sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Ever seen the movie, 12 Angry Men? Or The Human Factor? It's easy to find the wrong man for the crime and punish him for it.

It therefore annoys me if somebody just goes "Bailey did it, Bailey did it...." without having any evidence to back it up.

Same goes for the trial in France which can hardly be considered as serious.

I also doubt very much that any murderer in France would be sentenced for murder with such little evidence backing up the guilty verdict as it was with Ian Bailey.

• Advertisement

You've given me an idea, could the studio have been used as a refuge by the killer and IB/JT then decided to clean up the scene for some reason.

I can't help thinking that IB may indeed be compromised in some peripheral way.

nonsense

That is saying it is cooked up with the collusion of Jules which means she's just as guilty as he is. Am I wrong?

You're quite correct, it's completely illogical and therefore nonsense

A possible link to STDP's drug activity complaint?

Perhaps a threat gone too far?

Perhaps an admirer or 2 got caught up in it?

The French state really are showing themselves up as arrogant and self important divas this week. Between this kind of thing, demanding Ireland, extradite a man to them to serve a sentence for a crime he was convicted of in absentia and with nothing but a sweet smelling 'bouquet' of evidence, using a old colonial law to try foreigners for harming French citizens.

And then getting all hissy because the US, UK and Australia snubbed their over priced, long delayed, nuclear submarine deal.

Looks like France is beginning to realise they aren't really that important on the world stage anymore, and they don't like it.

I wouldn't say we have exactly covered ourselves in glory here with the prosecution of this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sy Kick

I guess so, aware of it at least. Maybe with a coercive element.

Garda corruption granted. But at least our justice system was balanced enough to recognise there was no case against Bailey. And they publicly called out the glaring errors in the investigation. And hopefully our government will continue to stand by that.

• Advertisement

Some, possibly all of her daughters must also have knowledge of the "truth"? So you're saying there is a big conspiracy or have all been terrified into sticking to a certain story?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement