Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael D Higgins insists he is President of Ireland, refuses to commemorate partition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

Fortunately it looks as if the next assembly election will return a more moderate face of Unionism to power and hopefully that will stop the posturing and tantrum throwing of the DUP from capturing all the attention in the north. Maybe then some real progress can be made towards peace and reconciliation.

I feel strongly that the people of the North will look on another collapse of the assembly, as the DUP threaten, very unfavorably. The one thing that was almost universal last time was all my Northern friends said that if the assembly members weren't working for them then they shouldn't get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

This

For me this was a mistake from day 1.... it was caused by religious getting involved in politics....

Let the churches pray and let leaders lead.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Treasonous to whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

DC you have previously claimed to have never heard of the Irish president. Then you said you never heard of Micheál Martin, then you were confronted with your own posts were you previously talked about them and found out in a series of lies. You also pretended to have carried out polls, overheard unionists in bars saying they hated the Irish protocol, overheard nationalists in bars saying that they loved NI being in the union.

The fact that you have been caught out with lying routinely about your knowledge of Irish (north and south) politics gives a certain worth to your statements and interpretations.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ha this is so off the mark on the UK-Ireland relations stuff.

This is absolute storm in a teacup stuff that the vast majority of people dont have time to be worrying about. But Ide say this is all about you not liking Higgins and nothing to do with him skipping a mass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

There are unionists, the DUP for instance who think that the treatment of Irish Catholics before the Good Friday agreement was a good thing and a fair way of doing things. These types of people should never be embraced, just ignored until they die out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What a load of complete and utter nonsense. Theres reconciliation and dialogue, and then there's an invitation to something that wishes to celebrate or commemorate partition, and at that, they appear to have invited him under a, what looks like deliberately provocative title.

As for the "state policy" - can you please show where state policies dictate the president being compelled to attend whatever event people decide to invite him to? What next, have him invited to a field somewhere near Tobermore for a 12th of July band parade, or Tigers Bay 11th night bonfire so he can cheer at his own effigy being burned?

The president can use his own discretion on what he or she chooses to attend or not to attend.

As for the "treasonous" remark, that's some moronic hyperbolic nonsense, not quite at the level as the other lad who thinks the president should "apologise to unionists for IRA atrocities" but not far away either. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

A disgraceful ramble of lies. What rattled your cage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

His reason for not going is that it had become too political. DuP and SF all over this. Many comments online such as this current affairs forum. So yes it is political whether he goes or not and it is not just a church event. He has also turned down events he thought were too political such as an Easter rising commemoration.

I know very few unionists who would celebrate the discrimination of catholics in the past. There are a huge number of republicans who do celebrate those who murdered and intimidated Protestants.

• Advertisement

Who is "we" in your first sentence. All of the North's population?

I thought it was obvious I was referring to the British in ni. It would be a silly thing to say about the Portuguese, polish or Irish living in ni.

British Citizens? Which is everyone born in the North including most of the IRA members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

If the government, as the director of state policy, was concerned about this they would have told him to go when he got in touch with the department. How he can be a traitor when he doesn't make policy and when he asked those who do, he was effectively told to do what he likes?

And trots being nasty is nothing new and no basis on how the President should conduct himself. As regards the "lie" about one term. People had the chance to judge this for themselves at the ballot box and an overwhelming majority decided he was the best candidate for the job regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Me too, he made the correct call and I can't stand Miggeldy

No it's not and I'm not just talking about nationalists

Ironic that Britain doesn't even include N.Ireland (hence the official title of Britain and N.Ireland) , so how a N.I. citizen can call themselves British is beyond me.

Agreed, but I was just referring to those who regard themselves as British

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Partition was caused by the IRA in a campaign where they had to sign a truce because they failed. It is not the British fault alone. As we could now be in a 32 county Ireland in a commonwealth or maybe even a republic if the long game was played right.

Those who scream ‘partionist’ and use the phrase are in a denial of history. It is not only SF who are in denial. Many with a certain background, refuse to say the state of NI. It is ‘up North’ ‘the North’ and so on. ‘The six counties’ is another one. A dilution of reality. Pretending the state of NI does not exist and never happened.

Those who regularly listen to RnaG will know that there are two text numbers. One is constantly referred to as ‘na Sé Chontae’ ‘the six counties’. And RnaG is a national public station. I think this is the nub of the issue with the some in the ROI attitude to NI denial and delusion. Pretending NI does not exist or to dilute its credibility by not referring to the name of the state.

Many posters here play that deluded game and have done so for so long know no other way. It is the nub of the issue in this Michael D issue delusion and semantics. And an unwillingness to accept the reality of history.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Just as some will only acknowledge that the state of Palestine is the only legitimate state of the levant, no amount of time will legitimize the colonization and subsequent partition of their homeland.

The reality is though that those Unionists of the North have far more in common with their Irish brothers in the south than they ever will have with the British. They will always be welcome with their fellow Irish.

Wrong.

Partition began before the IRA campaign and was called for first by Carson in response to home rule so you are so wrong

Yeah and if the small militant group that wanted ‘blood sacrifice’ had let Redmond do his thing history could have been completely different. We will never know. But I stand by point this issue is caused by delusion. But many do not even realise it at this stage! Saying the name of states on this island is the start of reconciliation and growth as a populace who have to live together. Anything else is playing ‘cute’ and/or people codding themselves.

We would most likely still have had partition under Redmond because partition had nothing to do with the IRA.But it's all guess work.

This issue isn't really an issue at all it's been completely blown out of proportion by a few ardent unionists and self hating Irish on here. Nobody in the general public seems to care about this "issue"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I was not aware he did not do the Easter Rising... it shows consistency.....

Nonsense. Note how many people on this thread have suggested I should not be on it because I am a unionist. What hope of us being accepted in a unified island.

Just to say is is not only those on the island of Ireland who suffer from the semantics of names and ignoring reality. A poster has already referenced Palestine. The Malvinas/Falklands is another one. It is no accident that many Irish Republicans tie themselves to this. Not for them ‘The Falkland’s’ etc.

The British have also done this in WW1. Saxe-Coburg was erased from history. Windsor was manufactured to sound more British. The German Shepard dog started to be called the Alsatian by the British. Same thing semantics, delusion and unwillingness to accept reality.

Same issue here with Michael D and many ‘chest thumping’ Republicans on this thread it is playing a game with words. Both sides on the island of Ireland have done so and will always do so. Blinkered stuff.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If that was actually said it might be because you have a convenient ability to ignore facts and play the unionist victim card. Everyone is able to see through your posts.

Unionism has thrived on division and hatred of their fellow citizens in NI. Unionism has been allowed to survive in a microclimate of sectarianism and bigotry that is not tolerated elsewhere in the UK. When someone stands up to it, suddenly unionists claim they are victims of intolerance or some other nonsense: just as your post suggests!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Redmond's big mistake is that he ignored unionists and made no effort to win their hearts and minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

Advertisement