Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Didn't see the match, how did Konate perform, great to get a clean sheet with 3 changes in defense. Good start so far this season hopefully we can keep going like this and avoid any long term injuries to key players for this season. City look like they will be inconsistent this season, Chelsea look the main threat and United with Ronaldo could be a dangerous outsider, but, they're handicapped by Ole, so think they'll fall short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Konate did what was asked of him. He had two one on ones that he dealt well with and then just played his part of the back four well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If we finish above this Chelsea team and squad, Klopp isn't human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yeah a much bigger threat than the likes of United IMO. They are a well oiled machine with a lot of very good players. United often have no control of games and rely on individual moments of brilliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

How are they not title favourites with all the bookies? They have literally everything you could want in a title-challenging team, and a bit more. If anyone finishes above Chelsea this season, I’ll buy a Man City season ticket (and still have change from a hundred note I’d expect).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think Chelsea will put a lot of points on the board, as their fixtures are falling nicely, okay City next, but that's at home, then it's a free ride until Jan.

Chelsea also play Liverpool and City early Jan, so no title decider in May, their run in is bread and butter also, United away 2nd last game only banana skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

2 of our next 4 league games area against both Manchester clubs,

We meed to have eveyone fit and firing, Massive part of the season to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A great piece here on Milner and all true.

James Milner’s workmanlike image disguises a true Liverpool legend

Tireless on the pitch and conscientious off it, Liverpool’s old master is plodding steadily towards a place in football history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

They're big, string, athletic and technical. They've cover in every position. Lukaku will steamroll the dross.

The team who finishes above them wins it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

What a player and what a pro Milner is. To be where he is now still, after a 20 year PL career, is no fluke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭dogbert27

James Milner: The Champions League’s most creative force 

Crazy that he has the most assists in the competitions history!

I should point out, too, that Milner is the only footballer I follow on Twitter. Very interesting character... totally at odds with his perceived "boring" persona. What's boring are the alleged hip footballers who pedal clothing lines, haircuts and reel out the standard "game of two halves" one-liners when discussing actual football. I get the impression that Milner may have actually read a book once in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Milner is very underrated. Every squad who wants to win something should have a Milner. Fantastic professional and standard setter. I hope he stays in the squad for another season tbh.

These days, he might not have the legs to play back to back games anymore with the quick turnaround but having him in the match day squad still helps. He's a nice sub to have to kill time or win a free kick, or even just take a card with smart fouls.

Mad to think that he was seen as a journeyman when he arrived at the club. He's played more games for Liverpool than any of his previous clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How much did we pay City for Milner, again?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Zero pounds.

I've a feeling Man City don't really know what they're doing. How many full-backs have they signed for £50m? And they had one on their books all along and gave him away for free in his prime? Gas.

To be fair, one of the reasons why Milner left Man City is because he wanted to play CM. Which he did play primarily for a couple seasons at Liverpool too.

But then Klopp's master man management kicked in and convinced Milner to play LB for a season, aided by how high the full backs play in his system so that they are essentially wide midfielders anyways. Milner's professionalism stood through and he put the team ahead of himself and dedicated himself in that position, and also on the opposite flank.

Looking forward to Wednesday

Hope to see Tsimakas, Konate, Gomez, Jones, Taki all getting a start

This was an fun 17 minutes of all of Mane's 100 Liverpool goals.

I think Pep would have kept Milner, he would have appreciated his sheer determination and commitment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Snap. He is the only football player i follow too. I susprct its partly down to him being almost the same generation as me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Don't think many expected Liverpool to be Milners longest serving club and most appearances. Goes to show Premier league players who look after themselves can have the same longevity as players in European leagues. Only a couple of months between him and Rooney.

It was good of Salah to assist Mane for one of his 100 😅

Maybe he can do it again for next 100😝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I don't have the facts but I'd say Salah has given more assists to Mane than other way around.

Yea, I'm just kidding. Salah assisted him a lot in the early part of his 100, Mane on the right pre Salah was so dangerous also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Watching that really made me nostalgic for peak Mane. At his best he was easily one of the top 10 players in the world. I doubt many would have him in their top 50 nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

He's not at absolute peak yet thats for sure but I've seen plenty of "best days behind him" chat which is premature imo. He's been lively every game and has 3 goals in 5 league games. Would have been four but for Reece James turning goalkeeper. On course for a 22 goal league season.

He'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Both have been at the top level since they were young, Rooney was the youngest ever pl scorer till Milner took it off him a month or so later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

No penalties, free kicks and very few outside the box if any. Lots of clutch goals too. A fit and firing Mane is hard to beat!

Personally id love to see the below Tuesday

Kelleher

Gomez Phillips Konate

OX Milner Jones Tsimakas

Gordon Taki Origi

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I'd go with same apart from one change I would make which is Neco Williams if he is fit, I would play him RB and not play Phillips. I feel very sorry for Phillips as he dug us out of a huge hole last year and is a big part of the reason why we will be able to enjoy Champions League nights this season such as last Tuesday but he is firmly 5th choice and I think it more important that Gomez & Konate get mins at CB> they will be needed much more this season. The same goes for Neco, he is the second choice RB and needs more game time than Phillips. If he is still injured then I would stick with 4-3-3 and play Gomez RB and Phillips CB.

Any other youngsters that might be in line for a run? Maybe Conor Bradley, Owen Beck, anyone else apart from Gordon?

I think Neco is still injured so it will probably be Conor Bradley getting a run. Gordon is lined up for a start too. Both were not involved in the u23s game at the weekend so that's a strong indicator that they should be involved in some capacity.

My guess would be;

Kelleher

Bradley Gomez Konate Tsimikas

Jones Milner Ox

Gordon Origi Taki

Milner might not be chanced either as he had a tough game at the weekend and with Thiago going off injured Klopp may save him instead. Squad depth not massive when you try and look at someone else outside of first XI to come in and play midfield. Maybe Keita might start as he only came off the bench at the weekend.

Same team as myself bar Philips who i just can't see not playing but then i had to figure out where to fit him in so went 3 at the back ,

• Advertisement

Surely he would save Keita over Milner for the weekend ?

Milner played full game whereas Keita only played a few mins. I'm not suggesting that Milner will start over Keita in the next league game but from a freshness point of view it might not be wise for Milner to play 90min on Saturday and Tuesday and expect to be fresh for a game on Saturday if needed. I know Milner is a machine but that would be tough on any 36 year old. No harm on Keita getting another game under the belt either

I’d imagine Klopp will play a semi strong team so would expect Jota to start maybe even Mane with Salah on the bench.

Hendo to play as well in the 6 role instead of Fab.

Ah balls i thought the game was Wednesday ,

In that case your right Milner probably won't play but to be fair he won't get to start a game for another while so he might be desperate to start,

I don't fancy Ox & Jones as two but i wouldn't risk any of the other CM's if Thiago is injured and not just a knock,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Rooney was a beast at 20 and World class maybe even younger than that. He didn't last at the top as long as he could have if he'd looked after his body. He was back at Everton at around 30 and off to the States the year after.

He had some career but clearly loved a night out and it showed as he aged.

A 20yo Rooney in this Liverpool team would be some sight.

Milner was obviously a different player and has less medals but his career from 30+ shows the difference that a cleaner lifestyle can make.

• Advertisement

Not many less medals to be honest and Milner is still playing.

3 Leagues vs Rooney's 5

1 FA Cup each

1 League Cup to Rooney's 3

1 CL each

1 European Super Cup each

1 FIFA World Club Cup each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

But if you look at the ten youngest Premier league scorers only Milner and fabregas stand out as staying at a high level till their thirties, I am probably missing one, but just at a glance, Owen, Rooney etc don't last when they peak young, I wonder about sterling, he is on the list, currently 26, still playing well,he won't be a man City player by the time he's thirty, possibly still playing regularly in the Premier league or another top league I would think though,not till he is 34/35 though.

Thiago won't be fit for tomorrow or the weekend at least,

Not to replacing Gini looks crazier every day ,

Fabhino will no doubt pick up a hamstring injury at some stage & Hendo will have at least a 4 week injury of some sort,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I dont even want Klopp at that game tomorrow. Premier league and champions league is the only focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Thiago out for 2 games with a calf injury according to the yellow ticker of doom on Sky Sports News

Its minimum of 2 games

Basically said he won't be fit for tomorrow or the weekend but don't know about the rest ,

We need him fit for Champions league next week as we can't play the same midfield in that & against City we need to be fresh for the City game ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Regarding Milners enduring performance levels, I would be curious to see how Ronaldos stats compare, but let's face it the only stat of interest is goals scored for the Manu player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Firminio should be back in contention for the weekend,

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Naby fabinho and hendo is the way forward for the weekend.

Don't want to see ox anywhere near our starting 11 for league or champions league games.

Didn't we play Jota in a game like this last season, and then he was out for weeks afterwards. Or maybe I am mistaking, but I think I recall that happening.

Solid back 4 and midfield, but I'd play fringe players up front. Origi, Gordon, Ox, Mina, ect

• Advertisement
Advertisement