Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Something like he had done everything that had been asked of him but Farrell wasn't being honest about why he was excluded.

Edit: https://www.the42.ie/john-cooney-ireland-andy-farrell-5494233-Jul2021/

There it is. Nothing outrageous but 100% putting his exclusion on Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah but Cooney knows it all and has done it all. It’s other people’s immaturity and lack of honesty that’s the problem. I mean, he fixed Cartys terrible attitude to other players so he must be great.

Cooney has def come across as a guy who externalises his issues almost entirely. That kind of attitude probably has been at least part of the reason he isn’t involved in Ireland camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,136 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well if Farrell continued picking Sexton after the headshake of disapproval in Paris, he probably wouldn't care about what Cooney said in that article. Likely we're dealing with a broader, more ongoing issue with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's a pretty bitter interpretation of the interview I read.

This is genuinely a fascinating aspect of modern sports media and fans. Fans complain that media interviews are bland and sports stars are too media savvy and only speak in clichés. But if there's one thing that will get more criticism than speaking in clichés (and apparently its reasonable to expect it will have you precluded form squads) is saying what you think if it involves even the slightest criticism of Johnny Sexton (may the Lord bless him and smile upon him) or the coach.

Farrell gets dogs abuse on these threads and lots of posters think he should be fired (the debate is usually around who should replace him) but we also seem the believe it's unthinkable for a player to utter a pretty bland criticism of him and still be picked for a 50 man squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

So true. JS is obviously a 'difficult' personality type, and no that doesn't necessarily go with the territory of being an outstanding competitor and player. Plenty of amazing players and leaders are interpersonally mature and generous but I don't get the impression that JS rolls that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Based on how he carries himself in games? That’s one of the more ridiculous comments I’ve seen on here about a player. Some might say it’s lacking in maturity. Others might just say is a pretty nasty opinion based on nothing other than your own little axe.

it’s amazing how he can be such good friends with other players, even ones he has played against given his lack of interpersonal maturity and generosity.

Kind of confirms the point I was responding to, that many posters here take any criticism of JS personally.

Ah look I’ve been through this before. I don’t doubt there’s truth behind some of what Cooney says. When it comes to Sexton it’s hardly news that he’s a difficult guy at times. But Cooney at this stage just has a record of having issues with how others have treated him and prevented him from getting what he feels he deserves. It’s not just one or two interviews. It’s a very real pattern of behaviour at this stage. I honestly couldn’t care what he says about Sexton really. It’s more about how he talks about his disappointments in ways that paint him a victim.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn’t mean it proves your point. But that is a handy position to take. Agree with your point or disagree and prove it. Bulletproof.

Cooney has said he can’t play with Sexton yet plenty of others have been able to. If he really is so bad then why is Cooney the only one so seriously impacted by it? That’s a fair question.

I don’t doubt Sexton can be a dick. I’d imagine most of us who have played team sports have played with personalities like that over the years. But if he was as bad as Cooney claims then there would surely have been major falling outs at provincial, national or Lions level. Yet oddly we haven’t heard of any others.

Disagreeing with my point would be to say that Sexton is not a dick and doesn't have a difficult personality. That's not what Stephen_n said though, rather it was that my comment was nasty, immature and ridiculous! I'd say that's nothing more than a confirmation that that poster doesn't like criticisms of JS. Im saying the same thing as you, that JS is crotchety. Im not saying he is difficult or impossible to play with, that's obviously not the case. But for some players he is a pain in the hole and Cooney seems to be one of those players. None of this is news.

• Advertisement

Ah i didn't know that he had a pattern of this kind of behaviour. Where else has he showed this kind of behaviour?

I think he's a excellent player but I think he's probably as much of a bad influence as he is a good influence.

I've played with players who bollocked teammates when they made mistakes rather than actually trying to teach them what they did wrong. If someone teaches you what you did wrong and how you could have done it better, it's infinite more useful to making sure the mistake doesn't happen in the future. But some people prefer to just give out and not teach (either because they don't teach to or because they aren't able).

I have heard load of commentators say JS "drivea standards" but very few players say he actually teaches or coaches anything. I think the omissions speak volumes. And I'd be shocked if he goes on to have a coaching career.

I personally think he was an excellent influence when he was a young player barking at the older players and now he's a bad influence barking at the younger players and stifles creativity in the younger players.

I think it will be a mixed day when he retires. In one sense it will be sad but it will be like a forest fire which clears the way for new growth. There will be a dearth behind him but ulmately it would be worse if he stays on beyond this year.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It wasn’t a criticism of JS. It was an opinion you hold based on nothing more than a dislike of him. Probably for some stupid tribal reason.

You made personal comments about someone you don’t know personally. I didn’t take it personally. I simply commented on you making it personal. Using your own comments.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People really need to get over the Sexton comment. It was inconsequential, it wasn't even a real criticism. If it hadn't have been Sexton on the end of the comments nobody would have even cared.

Cooney wasn't picked because he's 31 and if he wasn't selected 2/2.5 years ago when he was head and shoulders above every other 9 on this island then he's hardly going to get picked now. His chance has come and gone.

Yeah that's it. I completely agree with the reason for his frustration and his criticism of Farrell and Sexton are valid. Not picking him when he was head and shoulders above the rest is a problem in Ireland.

We should pick the form players and cooney is right to speak out about it. He was shafted.

Hang on.

No-one suggested the Sexton comments were in any way related to his exclusion. No-one had even brought them up, until a poster saw a reference to "those comments" and immediately assumed (wrongly) that we were referring to the Sexton comments, rather than his comments about Andy Farrell.

The only person who needs to get over anything is John Cooney. He needs to make peace with the fact that he is a very, very average rugby player and he's found his level. That's not Andy Farrell's fault, it wasn't Joe Schmidt's fault, certainly not Johnny Sexton's fault. The only reason he gets so much attention is because he can kick goals; as a scrum-half, he's nothing special at all. That has been reflected thoughout his career.

11 caps is a fair return for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Cooney was not "shafted". He was never playing so particularly amazing that he demanded selection. There is also a reason he has gone through 3 provincial teams.

Could he have gotten more caps? Yeah sure. Is it a travesty that he didn't? not really

Yea, people are definitely not over-reacting to Cooney's totally benign comments at all. 😐️

The only over-reaction is by the guy thinking that people think the Sexton comments are anything to do with his exclusion.

I've no problem with his comments about Farrell, if he had retired or left Ireland, they'd be beyond banal - just if he's trying to make nice with the national coach, he's doing it wrong. And he has a track record of thinking it's always someone else's fault.

It's gas that people are saying he was shafted by not being picked ahead of the best scrum-half Ireland have ever had when the guy has never been able to displace even very average SHs at provincial level. It's bizarre.

This "track record" exists only in the head of some posters on here.

Unfortunately Cooney said something slightly negative about the wrong person and so now we must all endure nonsense about how he's only "very, very average". It wasn't even a criticism, but it wasn't flattering, and so his card is now forever marked.

• Advertisement

Disagree. He was the form 9 in the country and wasn't getting picked. That constitutes getting shafted in this context, in my opinion.

Do you think "making nice" with the coach should Influence selection?

I didn't realise he had a track record though. What else has he done along these lines?

The "form" player regularly doesn't get picked for one reason or another - its not the only determinant. The Covid break obviously came at a bad time for him, but for one reason or another he has been overlooked by a succession of coaches.

Yeah but I think the form players should be picked most of the time. I think that's a problem with irish rugby and I disagree with picking out of form players, waiting months for their form to return. Cooney was not picked we he was the better rplayer on form and he was shafted for that reason, in my opinion.

Covid break was of no consequence for Cooney.

His time was in 2019 when Murray and Sexton were consistently delivering absolute mediocrity. At this stage it's too late for him, waste of time picking him at 31 now.

Was he not in line to get some gametime?

Anyway, agreed on 2019. Obviously decisions were made at that point in time that ultimately didn't pay off. He's unfortunate for sure

Maybe he was, I can't really remember 2020, but 2019 sticks out like a sore thumb. I do not go with the notion that he was shafted, but he was very unlucky not to get a bunch more game time that year.

It was rumoured that he would start against Italy. He was the form player at the time and should have started all the games while that was the case. Murray was cruising on reputation at the time and that's a silly but too common situation for Ireland.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

he was getting picked??

he was in what, 4 or 5 training squads in a row... he obviously couldn't do what was expected of him within that training period to cement even a bench place.

or do you think top class pro 14 displays is enough for a test shirt?

• Advertisement

Top league and European performances should be the form that were using. Murray playing less well in the league and in Europe (and playing poorly for Ireland) wasn't enough to get him dropped. He was picked on reputation. That's not a good situation.

Advertisement