Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Some of the tweeted replies are moronic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume that was his intention and it will be worth mentioning it to AGS tomorrow (had hoped to report it today but herself had other plans for me).

Is it worth my while reporting the Skoda?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

This incident happened in Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leicestershire. (google maps).

This shows how wearing a helmet can save your life. Cyclist had nothing broken just bruised and sore, bicycle a total write off

It does look like a case of 2 wrongs. Motorist made the first error taking the incorrect path through the roundabout. The cyclist is signalling to go straight ahead on entry to the roundabout then fails to stop, instead veering at the last moment in front of the car going the wrong way before he is hit.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Umm no, the person driving the wrong way around the roundabout is completely at fault, the cyclist didnt do anything out of the ordinary, what a strange take on a fairly straightforward video...

• Advertisement

From the looks of it he's anticipated it too and and ends up over to the right to try to avoid the car. Car is the only one in the wrong there from what I can see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

2 wrongs? Cyclist has the right of way there. The car had the 2 wrongs. Failing to stop and going the wrong way.

That's crimin and should be a driving ban

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I wonder if the person driving the wrong way around the roundabout had smashed into a car taking the same line as the cyclist would the poster have interpreted it as both being at fault? Somehow I dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

2 wrongs me hole.

LOL. Two wrongs. The car literally failed to stop and then drove the wrong way around a roundabout. I'm pretty sure the cyclist saw the car coming for him and diverted his path accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Just trying to understand what happened in that video - was the car in the roundabout before the cyclist? Hard to see any line markings on the cyclist's side to show where the roundabout actually starts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not sure what it is about that crash that shows that the bike helmet makes the difference between life and death?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Looks like they arrived on the roundabout at about the same time, but the motorist should have yielded as the cyclist would have right of way there; it'd be moot as to where the line markings are for the cyclist.

I see it's gone a bit viral, Hazel Chu has quote tweeted it but unless she has any clout as regards DB I suspect that they won't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd say DB will have to be seen to do something this time.

Even if DB don't, it looks like a pretty obvious case of careless driving at least, which the Gardaí should deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If you are in charge of a vehicle at any time, please refresh yourself on the rules of the road.

Reported the Dacia driver this morning. Emailed a draft statement to the garda on duty in the station and later dropped down the video on CD. He didn't get a chance to transcribe it but will over the next 48 hours and I will pop in again just to confirm & sign it.

From our conversation the allegation will follow the usual process but looks like your man could be in a bit of bother soon, hopefully on a careless or possibly even a dangerous driving charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

I’d say chances of a DD charge are remote to say the least, based on what it seems to take to have that charge brought

I know it is harder to get someone on that so I'd be happy with careless. I think that you can hear the driver mocking me as they are encroaching in on me will go against them. We'll see soon enough anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cyclist did nothing wrong there, he grabbed hold of the handlebars with two hands as he knew he was getting hit.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I was doing the malin to mizen cycle Thurs to Sunday last week. We had a support car back and front with flashing orange strobes, as well as two motorbikes as marshals. Big signs on the vehicles warning other road users. We maintained a gap to the car in front for our own safety- which several drivers took as an invitation to pull in front of us, get between us and the feont safety car and take an immediate left. We averaged close to 30kph over the four days, so 35kph on the open flat road was normal speeds.

We pondered whether it was aggressive driving, plain idiocy or perhaps a bit of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭crisco10

Idiocy. That particular habit was nothing against you as cyclists. Drive for 5 minutes on the M50 during a busier time and you realise that the number of people who will "fill the (safe) gaps" is depressing. It's like they think it's no different to parallel parking...if there is space, why wouldn't I fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

You see, this is one of the reasons I'm against bike lanes and segregated bike lanes: drivers will now expect cyclists to use them all of the time. I seldom use them and I don't want anyone telling be that I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think its reasonable that cyclists should use segregated bike lanes where they are fit for purpose. Its not always the case obviously.

On the other hand, its not in the rules of the road and therefore shouldnt be expected.

If they are well built, a full network and ensure protection at junctions, I doubt there would be many cyclists who would avoid them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

And maintained well too. That's a big element behind some lanes not being used because they're littered with glass and rubbish.

But yeah if the infrastructure is proper and not half-arsed, why not use it, particularly if it's a safer alternative.

There's very little cycling infrastructure that is designed for cyclists. Then as you say some of these can be left unmaintained.

However, much of what appears to be good infrastructure is left with multiple stops to allow motor traffic pass, etc. and you slowly arrive at a point where it becomes too much hassle to use the cycle lane.

However, people will often use the road despite a perfectly good safe segregated cycle lane nearby. One such example is along Clontarf where I often use the road. Why? Because I'm turning in a short distance ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ah yeah look I'm not advocating that we should all remain in segregated bike lanes under any circumstances, and was more agreeing with DaCor where he was saying if it's was a full network with protection at junctions.

I just don't think a blanket statement of being against bike lanes overall is a common sentiment and the majority of commuting cyclists would use em if they were well built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

IMO, mandatory cycle lanes (as in you have to use them) aren't a problem by themselves. If you look around Netherlands, especially rural areas you see lots of roads that are for cars and people on bikes are simply not allowed to go on them. The difference is, as we all know, in NL when you see that and you turn your head and see the alternative bike infrastructure that people on bikes "have" to use instead, it's of such a high quality that people would use it anyway, whether they were forced to or not.

Problem in Ireland is when it comes to delivering cycle infrastucture is that planners perceptions of the requirements of modern cycling culture seems to lag about 50-100 years behind the reality - many of the cycle paths we have now would no suit be perfectly adequate for a 1920s cyclist wobbling along at 8kph in a tweed coat and cap on a high nelly. For a modern commuter cyclist who needs to cover 20km in a reasonable amount of time to get to work safely, not so much.

Advertisement