Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yep. The quality of "theories" has gone off a cliff.

I remember when people used to dig and try to find evidence to actually support their "theory".

Now they just say its a fact and if you question it further its an "attack".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Do you believe the CT forum could be in any way improved? Or is it fine as it is?

Glazers Out!

The forum is fine. The "conspiracies" need to improve to any decent standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

We once had a poster throw a bunch of youtube video into a thread, he then used the fact that I didn't watch those videos as "evidence" of me not wanting to debate in good faith.

The total run time of the videos he expected me to watch? 27 HOURS!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Ahh that is not true

3 years before you signed up I was already discussing 9/11 I believe I was pretty detailed and did all I could to answer questions

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056830161/building-7-the-saga-continues#latest

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Thanks for answering on the other users behalf.

I tend to disagree with your assessment as it happens, but not for the reasons others seem to.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Because it used to be about fun stuff like Bigfoot or the grassy knoll but now most supposed theories are known to be BS by the OP and are designed to push a political agenda around things like vaccines

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Because unfortunately in the "real world" some gullible person could read that guff and think it to be real as it was unchallenged.... And that person could become very ill because of it, or worse still pass the virus on to a vulnerable person or persons.

So there real world consequences to these misinformations. Just look at that very sad case this week.

That's what brings a lot of vociferous skeptics here

°°°°°

Didn't realise that the Kennedy assassination was something that was typically filed under "fun stuff".

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Seems fine to me. The current mods seem quite fair and as mentioned I've seen people who step out of line (on both sides) being warned, carded, etc.

What do you think of my question above:

If there was e.g. an anti-vaccination forum with a charter which meant other posters couldn't question or scrutinise their opinions and theories - do you think that would be fair?

• Advertisement

Yep this desire to amend the charter to allow BS to go unchallenged is blatant.

If its a theory there'll be actual evidence of some kind. If not then just find an echo chamber where you wont be asked a question.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Why is it that, at my current count, THREE prominent CTs are calling for the forum to be shut down but none of the skeptics are calling for it?

What does that say about those posters

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So there are nonsense CTs and real CTs and we should ignore the fake ones? But how do we know which ones are fake, and which are real? And why should one be ignored and the other afforded credibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well it wast at the time but people debating the shooter 50+ years later is fun in the sense it's interesting and certainly isn't a hot political issue in 2021

How is a link to mental health services a warning?

You specifically asked if anyone on the site has mental health issues, and yes they do given the thread I referenced and the simple fact that people talk about issues that they experience in different forums/threads. You now want to limit it to one specific forum for the outrage value that's up to you, but I don't see any harm, rather it being helpful in the links being made sticky as I suggested, but then again that is my opinion, it's up to an individual to use them if they want.

As for the misinformation that some of those who post in C.T. believe spilling out to other threads/forums easy enough to see it happening and the mods redirecting them to C.T. so as you asked if they should be included in other forums, again yes in my opinion.

°°°°°

I think that question was poorly constructed and served to push your own agenda and were I to address it in any detail I would be wasting everybody's time here.

Personally I feel (and I have outlined this in detail previously on this thread) that a more structured format for posting new threads would be extremely beneficial and would remove a lot of the chaff that makes up a lot of the forum content at the moment.

I also feel that an updated charter that puts respect of users if not their opinion front and centre thus removing a lot of the condescension and grandstanding that makes the forum so inhospitable would be a radical and welcome departure for the forum.

So far you have spoken about how unreasonable you find a lot of users of the forum to be. We then find that you were given carte Blanche by a previous moderator to set ground rules that suited you. This married to the fact that my own personal interactions with you I have found you to be curt, condescending, and openly rude makes me reassess your motivations for wanting the status quo to remain in place.

Some people here have mentioned that pro conspiracy users want a safe space for their views, which is a daft idea and shouldn't be entertained. What the forum is right now is a safe space for you and other like minded users to not only question other people's beliefs (perfectly fine by the way) but to be abusive to them as well.

A middle ground needs to be found where all stakeholders take responsibility for themselves within a much more robust framework.

Right now the forum suits you, when it needs to be fair to everyone.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

I never asked if anyone on the site has mental health issues.

And you got onto me about reading comprehension?

Have you got anything substantive to add to this discussion?

Glazers Out!

Nope I posted the charter ... And then you come up with that nonsensical post .... Read things first , I have been spoon feeding you information the whole evening and you still don't get it

That's great, what about those that don't? What's a magical makey uppy CT that doesn't lead to real consequences, such as vaccine denial and death as in the case of the Letterkenny incident? After all that was only makey uppy anti-vax stuff. They should have used your magical method of looking at a thread, shaking their head and moving on. Despite their lack of oxygen they should have just known! Right?

So between the CTr's now acknowledging the fake CTs, that should obviously be recognisable as such, and just laughed at and the "Real" CTs that are 100% serious those folks reading have a magice credibility filter that will allow different ion between nonsense BS and "real" bs?

Every theory is reliant on evidence, it needs to be part of any theory presented.

No evidence? Shur then aren't all the CTs presented without it in the category of makey uppy anti-vax?

• Advertisement

Fine, that's your personal opinion. My question still stands, and is completely relevant.

Again ..some people are beyond help, A poorly worded CT on boards wont change that .... A proper debunk wont change that.

Wasn't there a professor removed from UCD who spouted anti vaccer nonsense ?

The skeptics in the forum do not need to act as some posting standard guardians ... We had a working Forum charter up until 2019 and some pretty decent mods over the years keeping an eye on that standard

°°°°°

Your question is redundant and only exists for your own gratification.

I put forward a framework that puts responsibility on the shoulders of anyone posting a new topic on the CT forum to provide at least some evidence for what they're saying. That should be music to your ears Dohnjoe, but did you bother to read it? Or do you just enjoy talking down your nose to people you don't agree with?

The status quo isn't equitable and you're not pushing that "answer my stupid question or else" BS with me. You argue in bad faith on a consistent basis. You are suggesting no improvements could possibly be made, I wonder why?

Glazers Out!

Perhaps, but you've spent a long time trying to change the charter, and coincidentally it's not secret you also have a conspiracy theory you have tried many times to shield from basic discussion and scrutiny. Which leads again to a wider point

There are always individuals who don't want their views challenged, I suspect they think if they make enough of a din and fuss about e.g. this charter, they may get their way

Not only in his opinion

Any update on the previous charter being a temporary one ?

You referring to it being an "original charter". It wasn't. It was changed by Penn (I believe), and was an attempt to stop all the bickering. It was later changed. So yes it was a temporary, or interim, charter.

I notice there's a lot of pedantic nitpicking and bitterness creeping into this debate. A lot of sour grapes and silliness going on.

No one's views or theories are so "holy" they can't be questioned by other posters.

So rather than hold a community standard of posting a CT with a cogent basis and some form of supporting evidence?

People should know what's true and what's not.

It's not down to posters to debunk CTs or ask for evidence in an effort to act as guardians.

But...

It is up to the mods to act as guardians and decide what's appropriate? Can mods expect to have the CTs evidenced then? Or do they just protect the CT posters from having to actually evidence their position whilst ensuring every debunker outlines and cites their evidence?

Surely then the best way to ensure mods aren't overloaded cleaning nonsense from the forum is to accept a minimum posting standard that includes an OP evidencing their position?

I think you should look at my contributions in the CT forum ..I posted an example to you earlier ... I discuss everything, use examples, post evidence that supports my position ... You might not like it but still

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posters have ignored my previous warning about keeping it civil (and it really should not need a dedicated warning), and are on final warnings. If you are incapable of interacting in a civil manner do not post, as if you do you will have your posting privileges removed

• Advertisement

I'm not here to continue on old spats. It's just a question, if you don't want to answer it, that's fine. It still stands for other users. As for your questionnaire, maybe it would work, I don't know, many conspiracy believers on the forum don't seem to like any questions on their theories.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement