Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

How long should I wait between the two doses for a teen?

Minimum is 21 days I know, but I had 5 weeks + 2 day between my Pfizer doses and my wife had 4 weeks + 2 days.

At the time there seemed to be evidence that a longer wait is better - is that still the case or I should proceed with 2nd dose after 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Anything over 17 days for Pfizer, I wouldn't be too concerned at the interval for young people unless there was an underlying condition. Anecdotally, they seem to be calling them back for the second dose at 4 weeks but you can get done sooner as a walk-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Interesting to see correlations from US.

Vaccination Percentage and Seven-Day Case Rates

Vaccination Percentages and Hospital Admissions/100K

Vaccination Percentages and Deaths/100K

Source: https://insights.som.yale.edu/insights/soaring-covid-rates-in-the-south-show-why-we-need-vaccine-mandates

Oh, and Ireland for context (roughly)

Since Connecticut seems to be doing really well with vaccines and low cases, and is close to our own stats, I dug out a recent state-level COVID-19 report (from Sept 8/9).

There's some really interesting stats and charts in there detailing relative risks for vaxxed/unvaxxed. If only we had this quality of reporting in Ireland!

This chart is not risk-adjusted (e.g. for age), and as at-risk people are more likely to be vaccinated (data here for CT) I think the individual risk reduction must be much greater than 5x.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Excellent .

We don't have that volume of data unfortunately but are seeing only about 12% patients in ICU inthe fully vaccinated , and those would mostly have severe immunocompromise .

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TheMammy

Hi All, wonder can anyone help? My son has been deemed a close contact from outside in the yard at school. He is 13 and "in contact in the yard for break WITH his mask on" on thursday . He has had BOTH vaccines doses but only since Tuesday. The HSE have booked him for test tomorrow Monday. Should he be ok to return to school on Wednesday if test is negative since by then he will be FULLY vaccinated (assuming still no symptoms).

So to recap

Tuesday 2nd dose of vaccine

Thursday contact with since confirmed positive case..outside in yard with mask.

Sunday negative antigen test

Monday HSE test (Assuming it be negative...)

Wednesday can he return to school?

HSE very vague on it and said up to yourself...I said surely ok by Wednesday to return...

thoughts?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Hes not classified as fully vaccinated.

Fully vaccinated 7 days after 2nd dose of Pfizer.

Will have to follow the unvaccinated close contact protocol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

What's the story with booster shots? Is Ireland going for a third booster shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

NIAC have approved it for 65+ in nursing homes, 80+ in the community and any Immunocompromised people. No start date yet, which is weird as I suspect there's plenty of Pfizer sitting about.

• Advertisement

@TheMammy wrote

HSE very vague on it and said up to yourself...I said surely ok by Wednesday to return...thoughts?

I would daily antigen test until the PCR comes through, and in the mean time send him in unless he's symptomatic.

There's dedicated thread on schools btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As said above, it's been approved, but no word yet on starting the programme. That said, we know now that these things no longer need to be flagged 2 months in advance, and it could easily be a "we are starting this next week" basis. They're talking about the flu vaccine programme, so I wouldn't be surprised if they roll both into one.

The data coming out of Israel and elsewhere is pointing to boosters as being of use to drive down serious illness amongst the vulnerable and 65+ age groups. For everyone else their existing vaccination continues to provide more than enough protection and boosters are unnecessary for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

For everyone else their existing vaccination continues to provide more than enough protection and boosters are unnecessary for now.

It depends on the demographic and what you mean by "enough protection". Non-vulnerable 40+ year olds vaccinated 6+ months ago by AZ likely have no protection with regard to hospitalisation:

Vaccine effectiveness and duration of protection (khub.net)

That document you posted states effectiveness against Delta hospitalisation of 69.7 (29.7 to 97.7) with Vaxzevria in the 40 to 64 All Risk/CEV group after 20+ weeks, see table 2.

Where are you getting "no protection" from?

As you can see from Table 2, effectiveness against hospitalisation decreases with time

All people beyond 20 weeks are averaged together, hence, because effectiveness decreases with time, there's a massive confidence interval for the 20+ week averages. If you were to break it down into more discrete buckets you'd continue to see decreased effectiveness with each successive time period. 29.7% (the lower bound of the confidence interval you posted) is no protection, 14.1% for 65+ year olds is no protection, and so on.

I don't think your analysis has any mathematical grounding; you're arbitrarily picking the lower bound because it suits your argument, and then you're rounding it down to zero because....it also suits your argument.

The reason the confidence intervals are wider is because, as the document states, "there was limited data in the 40 to 64 years group for this period". Limited data produces wide confidence intervals.

The reason the confidence intervals are wider is because, as the document states, "there was limited data in the 40 to 64 years group for this period".

That's not what they're saying.

The full quote is "there was limited data in the 40 to 64 years group for this period and confidence intervals overlapped", and by this they mean that there may not be a statistically significant difference between the 20+ week and the previous time period. They aren't saying that the confidence intervals are large because of a lack of data. 2 million 40-64 year olds are included in this analysis.

you're arbitrarily picking the lower bound because it suits your argument, and then you're rounding it down to zero because....it also suits your argument.

I'm not picking the lower bound, I'm saying that effectiveness lies somewhere in this range with 95% confidence, and as shown by this analysis, decreases with time. If it's 10-30% within any amount of weeks, let alone 20, then that's ineffective.

A blind man could see this was coming.

In order to return to as normal life as possible without major restrictions as many over 5 years of ago will need to be vaccinated.

Its the only way to take the pressure off the hospitals while people go back to 95% of their pre pandemic lives.

In the end a certain amount will never be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I doubt we will be doing this tbh .

Certainly not before other countries have caught up .

Of course we will be doing this.

Its just a question of when.

Delta has sped up the when.

Other countries have already started in increasing numbers.

• Advertisement

Again, you're banging on trying to misuse data in a paper, here is the table for all to see:

And again, this is the conclusion the experts who wrote the paper reached:

"Our study provides evidence of significant waning against symptomatic disease but limited waning against severe disease over a period of at least 5 after administration of second doses in a programme with an extended interval between first and second doses. Waning appeared to be greater in older age groups and among individuals in clinical risk groups, suggesting that these individuals should be prioritised for booster doses"

You're doing a fair amount of reaching and being disingenuous with this one, will be interesting to see where you go from here.

And again, as I've asked before, do you believe the vaccines are effective and that everybody should take one? And a new one for you: If you believe what you're writing, what do you suggest should be done instead? Back to full lockdown?

I'm sorry, what is your point and what is the relevance to the topic at hand? I'm the one that posted the paper to the thread so I'm not sure why you're copy pasting random parts of it to me.

The topic is vaccines, you've posted a paper showing how well they work and are trying to pass it off as vaccine failure for whatever reason, as you've tried to do before, before running away.

Anyway:

And again, as I've asked before, do you believe the vaccines are effective and that everybody should take one? And a new one for you: If you believe what you're writing, what do you suggest should be done instead? Back to full lockdown?

In the discussion it was stated that vaccination provides "more than enough protection" without boosters, for everybody except vulnerable people and 65+. I pasted the paper to show that for all demographics, effectiveness decreases significantly within 20 weeks. It decreases monotonically and is likely to continue to decrease further.

Please re-read everything that you've copy pasted from the paper, because it re-iterates exactly what I have said in this thread relating to this paper.

You said this

Non-vulnerable 40+ year olds vaccinated 6+ months ago by AZ likely have no protection with regard to hospitalisation

The data in the paper does not support this, you cover yourself by using the word "likely". But let's take it as true, what are the next steps? Do you recommend boosters for everyone over 40 every 6 months?

Well the paper doesn't discretise beyond 5 months. "20+ weeks" in this paper includes 6 months of data for 65+, and 5 months of data for 40-65. That said, here's the effectiveness for AZ at 5 months for 40-65 re: hospitalisation:

If effectiveness continues to decrease to the same extent that it did in previous periods, then it's "likely" that there will be no statistical evidence of effectiveness at 6 months. It's possible that I'm wrong, but at the least, effectiveness wont remain the same, and wont increase.

Do you recommend boosters for everyone over 40 every 6 months?

My position's never really changed: vaccinate/boost vulnerable people only. I assume this will be what happens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So it’s ok to subject children to a vaccine that offers them more risk than benefit statistically? And this is for the benefit of whom as all adults eligible who are going to get the vaccine have it.

Children are more at risk from flu, norovirus and even RSV than they are from Covid. Statistically children are more likely to be struck by lightning than die from Covid. Vaccines do not stop transmission. What exactly is the benefit of forcing this relatively new vaccine on young children? This trial data is also over an extremely short time period relatively speaking to other childhood inoculations. These drug companies should be distributing their vaccines to the many areas of the world who still need them rather than trying to line their pockets pushing them on younger children who don’t.

So, despite the effectiveness of the vaccines shown for all age groups beyond vulnerable in the very paper you posted, you still believe only vulnerable people should be vaccinated?

This despite the risk of SARS-COV2 being much greater for all age groups when not vaccinated.

That non-vaccinated make up 50% of the hospitalizations despite being a vast minority of the population.

But again, let's take that as the plan, our hospital and ICU count would be 10x what it currently is, SARS-COV2 circulates with abandon and we are now Italy circa spring 2020, what would be your recommendation? What level of lockdowns would you recommend we live in to prevent this? Or what level of mortality is acceptable for you?

Both unvaccinated and vaccinated people in hospitals are almost entirely those that can be considered vulnerable, i.e. Multiple comorbidities, history of respiratory illness etc. Therefore they should have been vaccinated, ideally. Hospital capacity is separate important issue.

• Advertisement

Again, not true, but let's pretend, SARS-COV2 is now running rampant in all age groups bar those with underlying conditions, cases are in the tens of thousands daily, hospitals and ICU are bursting at the seams.

What do you do next? Why shouldn't the rest of the population be vaccinated? Why would you not follow what we've done since the dawn of vaccines when rolling out vaccines during a pandemic. Should people get the seasonal flu vaccine?

Remembering that the scenario with a high % population vaccinated is what is playing out in Ireland right now with cases declining and hospital numbers steady or dropping.

Advertisement