Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

knee replacement - any veterans out there

• 10-09-2021 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Hi,had a full Knee Replacement nearly 5 months ago and not sure how I am doing,I can walk for good distance no issue,but I could do that after 3 months so feel my progress has stalled.I went back to a desk based job after 2 months and that was a big mistake because I let the physio slide and the daily exercise routine as well.I cannot bend the knee enough to cycle my bike so wondering is that par for the course or am I behind where I should be.The issue with daily exercises is they made the knee swell which may it harder to bend so was hard to stay motivated.My knee mostly feels like its in a brace ,not painful but uncomfortable,I ice it most evenings and swim and walk the dog ,Just interested if any Vets can remember where they were after 5 months and if theres much improvement to come or is this as good as it gets.Going back to see consultant in Oct and one of the biggest surprises for me was the lack of contact Post op . Any thoughts welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Any chance of getting a sit stand desk at work with a doctors letter ? Its handy in that it allows you to change positions throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ghoulfinger

Yes, a veteran here, left knee on shorter leg got worn out. I’ve had some serious abdominal surgeries, and personally I found the TKR more painful & difficult to recover from simply because one’s whole mobility is affected during the process. That said, many people get through with few problems. I got a bit of a complication with internal scar tissue trapping nerves, causing pain and stiffness and making for a particularly difficult recovery. I was just unlucky, most don’t have this. I didn’t get on with my original surgeon who was not helpful in assisting me to understand what was going on, all he went on about was more physio. Got onto a different surgeon who identified the issue and emphasised that much less vigorous Physiotherapy was in order, and not to worry, that it would come right. It took the best part of a year for me to get there, and I continue to improve, and still do as my current consultant says, improvement can be continuous and to ignore the idea that you will be at your best by a year.

The knee is a tricky area because so many nerves travel through it, and the swelling that occurs during surgery puts pressure on those nerves. The long incision didn’t really hurt at all, more internal/nerve pain. In fact I removed my own staples to save the price of a GP visit!

Best of luck with your ongoing recovery, OP, I’m sure you will progress well, given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dublin49

yeah perhaps ,I might try and work more from home ,do you think leg under desk for 8 hours is as bad as I think it is,

Thanks,it is informative and pleasing to hear its still getting better after a year.I suppose when progress is slow you fear you are one of the 5% that don't have good out comes.I was flying initially,off the crutches in 3 weeks ,but my progress stalled once I went back to work,so be warned anyone thinking of having the knee OP,3 months minimum for me if I was to do it again,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Yeah in general the sitting position for 8 hours a day is not a good thing for the Lower Back & Legs as it leads to tightness and inflexibility impacting general health and mobility. You would need to make a call yourself to see if you would find having the alternative standing position beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ghoulfinger

Don’t worry at all about stalled progress. As a consultant said to me it’s about scar tissue buildup g up and “re-stiffening” it, with consistent very gentle flexing and weight/resistance training this will again soften down and your leg strengthen. There’s no real limit to improvement potential. I had been in absolute despair until I got working with someone who assured me this and I proved his point.

Thats good news, will relax a bit, rejoining gym to do more exercising as probably walkin too much and will hopefully see improvement, ptobably just need to be more patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭wildwillow

From listening to friends who have this done, physio is very important and should be regular and consistent. One friend has had both knees done and is pain free, walking and cycling, but still getting regular physio and does the exercises every morning. Spent a lifetime behind a desk and commuting so a long road back to fitness. Now retired.

Sitting for extended time is not a good thing either. Could you at least do a walkabout a few times an hour, just for a few strides around the room. Make sure you are doing the correct exercises if you join the gym, be guided by a physiotherapist.

Thanks , have a program I dropped when swellin and work conspired to weaken my resolve,I am an ex footballer so well used to trainin but the conflict between causing swelling and exercises I found difficult and I dropped them. It lilke if you twist your ankle or your knee and it swells you rest it , if soneone told you to keep stretching it you would be sceptical, well thats what it was like for me with physio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Got my two knees done together four years ago. Was told if I did the excercises there was no need for Physio .Never went for Physio , no problems 100%

• Advertisement

thats great for you ,brave 2 together,wow,gutsy as I found one tough.fair play.

Don't know about brave, didn't know much about procedure at the time . Went by surgeons recomendation . He said recovery time would be much the same. I think he said it wouldn't be suitable in all cases

If I had it back I would wait the year or two until I was retired before doing it as although it was required I could have waited.Another area I Fell slightly short on was elevating the knee,which I suspect is very important.I would have thought I would sail tru rehab,what got me was the exercises causing additional swelling,Anyway thats in past and I am going to start again with my programme and rejoin local gym .I am glad I posted as I now feel there is lots of potential for improvement and I am more hopeful of getting back cycling.

Didn't do any cycling myself, but a neighbour had it done a few years ago and cycles nearly every day. I would have thought that cycling would be hard on the knee but it would appear that the opposite is the case.

no cycling is good exercise as low impact.great for keeping weight down if you can avoid stopping for coffee and scones half way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I've done a lot of reading about TKR's and the recommended aftercare as I've had an extremely poor outcome myself. Most seem to advise that gentle exercising and regular icing are the best treatments. It's too late for me now but if I had my time back I think I would not go to physio but would just do the recommended exercises at home along with plenty rest and regular icing. Bonesmart.org is a pretty useful website.

Sorry to hear you feel its to late for you,can I ask how long ago you had yours and how long do you think you have to make improvements.

I had my initial surgery in 2017 and had a revision just under a year later. I did every exercise known to man to improve my situation but it just never worked, even after the revision. I've had 3 manipulations - the last one unsuccessful and have been told that no more can be done so it's simply pain management from here on in. My range of movement is so bad that I now have to walk with crutches / walking stick all the time. I've been diagnosed with arthrofibrosis which is an excessive build up of scar tissue - this causes the stiffness. i often wonder would this have happened if i had not done so much physio - hard to tell but as I said earlier, if I had my time back I'd do it differently.

oh God thats sound terrible ,I certainly thought there would be more medical aftercare than I received.physios in my opinion work to a programme that are not really tailored to your individual needs.I feel kinda silly asking when my situation isnt anything like your own,thanks for sharing ,you hear statistics about bad outcomes when your go for the pre op referral but an outcome like yours would focus the mind with much more clarity and make people aware of the risk you take with this Op.

Yes it would but to be fair my consultant made sure I knew all the statistics before the surgery. No one is to blame - I was just very unlucky. I would recommend you take it very easy, it might be worthwhile to take some extra time off work. Also, if you are unsure about your progress then ask to have your appointment brought forward. Definitely check out www.bonesmart.org - lots of advice on there. Hope you're better soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement