Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There's no false sincerity and indeed the framing of the template was presented by shock horror! A member of the "other" side.

The bad faith arguing, is from those seeking to obtain the position of protected speech for Unevidenced CT and who seek not only that privilege but to also ensure that any rebuttal of an unevidenced CT is rebutted with evidence.

Not how discussion and debate works.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Relax, it's not a court case. There was a charter feedback thread on the 9/11 forum if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

This cartoon captures the very essence of what's wrong with the conspiracy forum. Somehow I don't think certain posters here will get it.

Why was that deleted?..

That's exactly what is going on..

• Advertisement

Seemed harmless to me. Too close to the bone maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Relax ? You are spouting this accusation or hinting to it in different threads

Another example below from the CT forum

It's glaringly obvious you want special treatment for conspiracy theories to facilitate your fringe views and shield them from normal scrutiny (as is the case on normal forums)Like I said, you wouldn't pull this **** on any history forum, making a sub-forum with "special rules" specifically to facilitate deniers.

So I ask again .. Where was I looking for special rules or special treatment for my fringe views and where did I want to have the forum rules changed to benefit me?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I deleted it as it had been reported as attacking other posters. I could read it either way, but recognised it could be problematical. I've now re-instated it. Now can we move on as it's better to contact me (it's quite clear I'm the only one with mod powers around here this evening) rather than starting to discuss moderation in-thread

People have every right to post any conspiracy theory to the forum and other posters have every right to question those.

Times have changed, conspiracy theories have gotten a little more serious, a lot of pandemic theories, theories on the US election, Qanon, medical disinfo, etc - these should not be placed in a special protective bubble where they can't be challenged properly.

There's a lot of nitpicking and tribalism going on here, but no one is really addressing the key points

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I present to you the CT forum in a nutshell

CT: I believe Bill Gates wants to track us with vaccines.

Me: Why would he do that?

CT: Here's a video of him saying something that proves my point.

ME: That doesn't prove your point, any evidence to prove your claim?

CT: Stop questioning me and trying to shut down debate.

ME: But you said....

CT: LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOUUUUUUU!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This is a bit ridiculous really.

A poster posts a 'theory' (vaccine and magneticism with accompanying video), and another poster responds with a pretty detailed explanation of why the theory (or video at least) is very very unlikely to be true, because the apparently magnetised coins could not be magentised considering what they are made of.

We've got posters on here saying they're happy to discuss, debate, whatever, but your response to this is along the lines of 'why would you bother with an explanation'.

If that is the kind of interaction you think is a problem with the forum, then this is the very definition of wanting to be able to post something without anybody coming aloing to question/disprove it. It's absurd.

Since when is asking questions considered a counter-argument?

If someone makes a claim, especially an extraordinary one, it's only natural that others may want to question it

Would you favour a charter where your views weren't challenged?

What would you like to see in the charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

The main benefit would be to stop (deniable) trolling of the forum, allowing organic discussions to take place and for cards, warnings and bans to be handed out to disruptive/bad faith posters who act as quasi-moderators and spam threads - posters such as yourself, King Mob and Dohnjoe.

This should be made explicit so there is no confusion about 'sneaking' or underhandedness.

It certainly does. There's only one thing funnier than that cartoon and that is how the very perpetrators of the technique think that we don't see it

"I'm just asking questions!!!" Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

In fairness, what's wrong with having a safe space? These conspiracy theories wouldn't be allowed to be posted anywhere else.

Asking questions is the start of a counter argument, If you make a claim then surely I can ask questions as to why you believe your CT is true and why the evidence you have posted should be taken seriously?

As with the magnetic vaccine thread, the OP was asked questions about his theory, we had everything from nano robots to microchips thrown into the vaccine and he was adamant that the video was real.

Once I proved (by way of counter argument) that there was no way the video was real the OP dropped the subject and ran away, never posting there again.

If the video hadn't been proven to be a hoax then it would have left anyone in doubt about vaccines believing that they would somehow become magnetic.

This kind of CT needs to be questioned vigorously and debunked and if you don't see that then there really is no hope for the CT forum.

No disrespect but there's conspiracy theories every single day.

How many people think the government are purposely keeping property prices high because they're all landlords?

And should the same cards, warnings, bans be handed out to the CT people who post fake CT "facts"? Should the "bad faith" posters on that side not also get punished for refusing to explain thier CT?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think he may have meant politically inconsequential today. The Kennedy assassination is something of historical interest only now and given that it is over 50 years ago since it happened, a new theory, story or indeed conclusion around it is not likely to change the course of history, or have any meaningful impact in anyone's life. If I recall correctly, the conspiracy theories forum used to be relatively quiet and mainly did centre around Kennedy, aliens, Bigfoot and the moon landings. All nonsense of course, but relatively harmless.

Today's conspiracy theories are a whole other ball game. You now have motivated malicious actors, grifters etc using conspiracy theories to sew discord within populations. Boards, as a responsible site, should not be giving these people a safe space to develop their theories without it being subject to scrutiny and indeed ridicule where appropriate. Conspiracy theories and their promulgation today have real life consequences (unlike the past), and when it comes to vaccines, life or death ones.

It has been remarked that if alcohol was discovered today, it would be considered a narcotic more damaging than cocaine and would certainly be banned. I feel like the CT forum is the same, if it didn't already exist, one wouldn't be opened for the platform it gives to, let's be honest here: destructive and unfounded political ideas.

• Advertisement

The vast bulk of theories on that forum in the last year have been along the lines of, e.g. Covid isn't real, it isn't serious, masks don't work, vaccines don't work, etc. Do you think views like that need an echo chamber? Why?

Jesus Christ don't bring that up..

You'll be answering questions about supply and demand and the planning process until 4 in the morning..

Fully agreed. And I suspect some posters only want a charter change for personal reasons, but don't think of the wider implications

That's your opinion and frankly is a conspiracy theory in itself. The problem is that there is a faction of boards users who believe all this is a certainty and take it upon themselves to police the forum citing spurious claims like this as the justification.

You're not going to stop people believing what they believe in.

I remember when the "covid came from a lab!" was ridiculed and called a conspiracy theory. Now governments and WHO are saying it can't be ruled out.

I don't believe anyone's opinions are theories should be banned. Everyone on the internet is responsible for themselves only. We have a safe space for EVs where they're wonderful, magic, great for the environment..yet if I kept on about the mining of the rare earth magnets, the 5% recycling rate of batteries, the emissions of the tyres, the electricity used to charge them etc....I'd get banned from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just to be clear, if it was reported it wasn't done by me.

If I had reported it,I wouldn't have bothered replying.

No ones theories or opinions are banned. But some people want to change the charter so that their opinions or theories can't be challenged normally.

That is what all this is about. There's quite a bit of bitterness and rancour here because some of us internet masochists have long histories with each other, and some just want a charter change out of sheer spite, whatever.

There has to be a solid reason for it, and certainly not some cheap stop-gap to try to curb the "squabbling".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That wasn't what was being ridiculed though. Lab leak was seen, and still seen, as not very likely, but if it was a lab leak, even those who think it came from a lab, deem it would have been accidental.

The CT was that it was on purpose to begin the great reset or we will own nothing or some other theory that falls apart with the slightest scrutiny.

But lab leak or not was discussed on the CT forum with questions and answers back and forth and was a good example of someone who believed in the lab leak theory backing up and arguing their case.

The "space is fake" thread has an instigator who won't share their own beliefs and believes physics is wrong and won't even bring a small basic argument to the thread which could be built upon, that will never go anywhere because of this.

There is some posters who start off well and then go off on tangents when they reach the end of their argument (usually on the "why would anyone do this" part), but this is an Irish forum discussing conspiracy theories, we're not going to solve anything, but it is nice to share knowledge and even debate some interesting areas (even flat earth has a number of interesting areas and ways to prove it wrong that lead to good discussion and debate).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

No to the last question because a positive duty to give an account of yourself according to someone else's definition of evidence on demand isn't reasonable. How can any theory be fleshed out as long as posters are being mobbed by trolls anyway?

Fake/misleading non-"facts" can be exposed without mobbing, spamming, laundry lists of questions, demands for book-length summaries etc., etc. interspersed with insults (both 'sides' are guilty of this though in fairness), claims that non-answers to highly specific and idiosyncratic queries posed by posters who have hijacked a thread equal a refusal to participate at all, recommendations to seek medical treatment for paranoid delusions/schizophrenia/hallucinations/general mental illness etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To be fair to the lads over on the EV forum, if you posted a thread on the environmental merits of EV's and questioned their impact when it comes to mining rare earth elements and posted good evidence to back up your claim, I imagine that you would provoke decent debate. There have definitely been good threads over there in the past on similar and no one was banned for having an opinion.

The problem with the CT forum is that you have posters repeating unfounded theories they've heard on YouTube/bitchute/Telegram but have next to nothing to back it up. Posting the like that "covid vaccines cause cancer" and the best they can come up with it a link to some grifter on bitchute deserves to be called out for the bullshit that it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement