Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

Other posters have already answered that - because conspiracy theories are no longer just harmless crankery. They can have serious consequences. Forum readers should be able to see the flaws in the CTs along with the claims. Questions and argument and dissenting opinions is how debate is supposed to work. Instead of upping their rhetorical game the CT-fans are instead trying to rig the game by effectively having only one team on the pitch. The fact that they claim to be doing this in the name of promoting debate is laughable. If they want to be able to discuss their pet theories with no contrary opinions, then they're free to start their own website YouTube channel, Facebook whatever. The internet is ridded with such echo chambers already. The idea that Boards has a duty to do their censorship for them is as ridiculous as some of their theories.

For what it's worth, I think the fact the the CT-ers in the forum are rattled by the ability to have their claims held up to scrutiny shows that the CT forum is currently doing a good job. "It takes a worried man to sing a worried song..." etc.

If they want to have a better forum experience, maybe they should try applying a little quality control in to their output, Some basic fact-checking and not spreading lies would be a good place to start.

@growleaves "How can any theory be fleshed out as long as posters are being mobbed by trolls anyway?"

Surprisingly easily. When posting, formulate a rational argument and support it with valid arguments and evidence. Recognise that research involves more than just watching a few YouTube videos and treating their content as holy writ.

You'd think the CT-sceptics were sitting on peoples' keyboards or something. "I couldn't flesh out my argument because King Mob's left arse cheek was in the way..." 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Twice now on this thread I've been called fat. :p

So we've kinda seen that those arguing to change the charter aren't really putting any effort into explaining how they'd like to change it and how it would work in a practical sense.

Sydthebeat and nullzero suggested a way for conspiracy theories to start off with the basic questions already answered, but no one who wants the forum changed or shut down has actually responded to this. Is it because they don't like the suggestion? Do they think it's impractical? They haven't said and I daren't ask their opinions as that might kill the discussion.

Similar I asked a few practical questions about how the new charter would operate. Like how to deal with some of the bad faith tactics some conspiracy theorists have used recently.

Still don't have any idea how those who want a new charter believe those things should be dealt with.

I also pointed out the issue of what would and wouldn't be considered a valid conspiracy theory. Now we're being told that people can just tell what is and isn't a valid one without evidence or asking about it?

This to me is very hypocritical. All the conspiracy theorists here hold different conspiracy theories that the others would say is invalid. Some hold theories what would offend the others if we dared to hint that the two are similar.

So how do we tell what are valid theories without knowing about the details of them and not being able to ask questions about it?

Should invalid theories just not be allowed? Should they just be dismissed as suggested by CQD?

Let's use a practical example. One current theory being presented is the idea that all space missions are fake.

Is this a valid theory or an invalid one? How is this determined?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How cute. They've created a new buzzword to try and shut down discussion, asking for evidence/explanations is "sea lioning"

Cute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Careful KingMob, I raised those same topics and got a cartoon as a response 😉

And of course people just innately know the difference between the real CTs and the fake ones, it's just common sense innit! No need to even worry about it....🤦

I hold my hands up and say that I have no evidence that you are in fact fat. And because I was (unwittingly) suggesting it, the onus in on me to provide evidence, and not on you to provide a full length (clothed!!!) photo to prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

If the word you was band from the conspiracy forum then half of the context from posts would be missing. That's eventually what all discussion become. You this, you that, you you you you you. Everyone is partial to the odd conspiracy, it is when people take them as gospel that all seriousness is derived to a meaningless mess of mashed up words boarding on abuse. I used to like reading them because they do make you think, and think for yourself in some cases. What makes conspiracies interesting is how one arrives at a conclusion but it all gets broken down when the least bit of critical thinking gets thrown in and that is where the issue is. The theorist does not like to own their mistake so it is a blame game from there on out, hence you this, you that, blah blah blah blajh. Burn them with fire and from the ashes allow someone with a phycology background to mediate them, obviously that person(s) have to remain impartial. Can be like a group therapy session the boards way 😁

Also maybe when people are asking "what do you believe?" Or "why do you believe that?" Or "how do you explain this problem with the theory?" Answer the questions?

The answers to them would be fleshing out the theory.

Conspiracy theorist: "question everything! (except me)"

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the very first point with any theory should be "is this plausible?"

if, on reviewing why a person came to a resolution, it can be seen to be plausible, then great thats definitely good enough for a discussion.

however if a poster, claiming that 9/11 was an inside job and America has no problem with the mass murder of its own civilians because they allowed 1000 American POWs to dies in Nagasaki from the atomic bomb.. they whoa, sorry there mate, hold your horses.

it can be patently shown that you are in fact incorrect and America did not mass murder 1000 of its own civilians in Nagasaki in 1945... well that calls into question at least some of your claim that 9/11 was an inside job.

the problem in this forum is that these posters NEVER come back in and hold their hands up and say "damn, i was wrong there" or "oops i misunderstood / picked it up wrong".. they either disappear until their next fallacy bomb or they double down with accusations of sheeple or closed mindedness.

there are certain CTs out there which are outlandish and yet plausible. The betty and barney hill story, for example. preposterous but plausible at the same time. these can be interesting to discuss and get into the nitty gritty of. The current view that covid-19 came from a lab is 'plausible' as the evidence doesnt currently discount it . the leap however (from this "plausibility") to the view that it was released deliberately to cause a world wide recession and kick start the "great reset" is a thing of pure fantasy as there simply is no evidence of this at all. Its apophenia in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

The phrase "badgering the witness" predates the internet if that helps. (Though of course sceptical posters have no special authority to turn threads into cross-examinations.)

Syd but you forget that many people, e.g. the religious, begin from different fundamental assumptions.

You mean to say 'Is this plausible to a secular political liberal who broadly shares my experiences and background?'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Warnings and bans already take place for trolling. Discussions can only take place if people who propose CT’s actually discuss them and that rarely happens.

So there is really no additional benefit to the old charter as trolling is covered.

It is difficult to see how admins would update a charter without having a clear list of benefits for doing so. Although maybe they would.

I don't know what to think about this 'template', it could be a good idea but I'm trying to imagine how it would go.

It doesn't necessarily solve the forum problems. Would have to see.

I think the template is a good idea, that the only people to fear it are ones who regurgitate a Twitter post or something without putting any thought into it.

Conspiracy theories tend to develop from discrepancies in the official story too though..And kind of grow from a lack of plausibility there..

Although a paragraph on why you're putting it forward seems reasonable..

The sealioning should be viewed as trolling though, and receive appropriate caution..

Are you saying conspiracy theories can only be based on faith and the resultant dogma?

If people do not like posts they can report them. The process to handle trolling already exists, and it is across the whole of Boards website.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,396 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

This is exactly why i gave up going into the CT threads.

The pile on from the few in the "Prove It" mob , the thought that they are infallible, and every one else is a "conspiracy nut" ..

Same names, same accusations, same incessant questions ... repeatedly...

Its just not worth travelling into that cesspit of hyperbole......................

(Do i have to prove that ??)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

Yes, but up to now this hasn't been viewed as trolling, and it should be..

I have to laugh at the "incessant questions" claim that's thrown out here.

The questions wouldnt be incessant if they were answered. It's invariably the same questions asked all the time, yet there's a refusal to answer.

Do the regular CTs in here accept this??

Only yesterday did we again have a poster who made a spurious claim about vaccinated people being no less of a risk in spreading the disease than unvaccinated people....

Yet when he was presented with studies to show the exact opposite, he disappeared... But not before a couple of one liners of "you're wrong"

That's the type of bad faith posting that goes on in the CT forum quite often. So surely you can see:

1. That the posters claims are dangerous

2. That the poster should, at a minium, show why they came to their opinion

3. Why skeptics would challenge, with proof, to show the poster is wrong, and get the poster to explain why they had formed their opinion (because of the inherent real life danger on that incorrect opinion)

Oh, and typically that poster had run away and not posted since

Surely issues across the whole of Boards should be separated from this thread, and have a new feedback thread set up so this can focus on the issues you see as solely CT forum related.

Incessant questions/"sealionig".

Maybe if conspiracists were able to explain any part of their theory they wouldnt be asked the same question a 2nd time.

It goes back to the quality of the conspiracy. If the conspiracist themself cant explain their own conspiracy, or dont think it stands up to the slightest bit of scrutiny, maybe they should either research the conspiracy more OR realise its rubbish.

Apparently the real trolling was the skeptics questioning (sealioning) him?

All theories should apparently be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It seems very convenient people now saying that the issue in that forum is sealioning, trying to give the impression that reasonable people are being shouted down by a barrage of petty or pedantic questions.

There is a thread with the title "Too many people would have to keep it a secret". A question asked repeatedly in that thread was a very simple one, "Why would they?", "Why would all the hundreds and thousands of people involved all stay quiet?" Not once in that thread did anybody even try to answer that simple question.

This isn't some petty technical question, it isn't picking one item out of a hundred and badgering with questions in order to discredit the whole theory, this is a basic and fundamental question that gets to the heart of the matter and nobody even tries to give an answer to it.

Asking obvious questions is not sealioning and it is very dishonest for the discussion to be framed in that manner.

Something that's proven false cannot be a theory.

All it is is an incorrect opinion

Case in point. Not a single person has attempted to answer any of my questions.

I guess I'm not allowed to point this out because it might be "incessant"?

Sure seems like an convenient way to dodge questions you don't want to answer.

• Advertisement

Which goes back to conspiracists wanting a safe discussion-free echo chamber...on a discussion forum?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement