Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

As for all this why isn't he in charge bla crap.

Why did he say he'd get in trouble for answering questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If only the US military had you in charge instead of all those useless 4 star generals. Not a tough one at all lads 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

If any of those 4 star generals, suggested. Let's get the army out before the civilians and aids. Then yes, they are useless

US citizens were advised to leave Afghanistan as soon as possible in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

What military training have you? Have you nuance of deployments in Afghanistan?

Jfc its like a 17 stone man, sitting on the couch, with their 8 bellies, on their 9th beer, screaming at the telly that the most highly trained athletes in the world can't kick a football correctly

Post edited by duploelabs on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

In fairness, that fat guy would have had a point if he was watching Spurs yesterday!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ah, you should get a job with the Pentagon. Your detailed analysis on a message board should be enough.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

It’s called being humorous. I know it’s a new concept, but you’ll get the hang of it.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This is a bit silly to be honest. There are plenty of people with military training and experience of Afghanistan out there who are also criticial of the manner of the withdrawal. Here's one:

"Dan Berschinski remembers the parade of dignitaries who stopped by his hospital room after his legs were blown off by a mine in Afghanistan in 2009: President Barack Obama, “basically everybody in my chain of command,” even the comedian Jon Stewart. But his dinner with Joe Biden in the kitchen of Walter Reed National Military Medical Center stands out.

Biden, Berschinski said, was one of the only people who went beyond respectful platitudes and listened to the injured soldier’s thoughts on what should happen in Afghanistan.

“I still had wounds open on my body from Afghanistan and he wanted to know what did you see? What did you think?”

A dozen years later, Berschinski still has fondness for the man who would become president and agrees with his impulse to get out of Afghanistan.

But as he watched Kabul fall to the Taliban amid a chaotic U.S. exit this week, he felt conflicted about how Biden handled the withdrawal from a war that has shaped most of his adult life.

“I am frustrated that our government did not have a plan in place,” said Berschinski, who was featured in a 2011 Washington Post story and later penned a CNN op-ed critical of former president Donald Trump. “And I think Biden deserves a fair amount of criticism, and they should have been better prepared to avoid these bad optics. And they should have been ready to help the [Afghan] people who helped us.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/biden-veterans-war-afghanistan-taliban/2021/08/20/40211454-00f7-11ec-ba7e-2cf966e88e93_story.html

This idea that you can simply dismiss an argument by asking for the poster's personal experience/qualifications is a bit silly and can be turned around very quickly too. For example, I've just quoted a guy with military experience in Afghanistan saying there was no plan in place and Biden deserves criticism. Do you, duploelabs, have the military experience to allow you to question that? Does that not make you the 17-stone guy shouting at the experts?

The evacuation could have been handled better, no doubt about it. Even Biden said so himself.

It was always going to be chaos, but the complete collapse of the Afghan army in the space of a month was predicted by nobody. Certainly not anyone on this board. The evacuation was expected to be done without the Taliban holding Kabul. When the Taliban took Kabul, troops were deployed again and after a couple of days an unbelievable job was done to evacuate over 100k people.

Biden deserves blame for the poor planning, but credit for the quick pivot.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That doesn't address my point though, which is that a 'who are you to question the experts?' argument is just a weak argument, considering what some of the experts themseves have said, and also applies to the poster making that argument themselves and probably 99.9% of boards posters.

I wasn’t attempting to address that point, because arguing people’s right to comment is a waste of time.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This idea that you can simply dismiss an argument by asking for the poster's personal experience/qualifications is a bit silly and can be turned around very quickly too. For example, I've just quoted a guy with military experience in Afghanistan saying there was no plan in place and Biden deserves criticism. Do you, duploelabs, have the military experience to allow you to question that? Does that not make you the 17-stone guy shouting at the experts?

When the, so called, "argument" consists of a couple of lines of bullshit by a poster who's probably only interested in trying to do down a president of a particular political persuasion in order to big up "their guy", then yes it can be dismissed quite readily.

As to the "plan", there was one in place. It was Trump's plan. It was for Americans to get on planes and leave the country, while somehow (by magic maybe) there would be an orderly transition of power to whomever. Unfortunately, once the Taliban (the guys that Trump cut a deal with) began to run across the country in double time, chaos and panic set in. Once that happened, no plan in the world would combat that, except flooding the country with troops again. And if Biden had done that, the same people on here crying crocodile tears for Afghanistan would be saying that Biden and the Democrats were "warmongers" and trying to tell everyone that Trump would have done it better.

"No plan survives contact with the enemy" - Von Moltke

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This attitude is what has Facebook posts being treated as comparable to scientific journal articles.

The poster wasn't denigrating all who argue the withdrawal was poorly carried out, but that blase comments by some suggesting it would it have been easy to do it differently and correctly are not supported with any particular experience, training or insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Most people arguing that a balls up happened here are doing so because they are right wing talking points.

It is why some are arguing that Joe is not in charge, whilst others are calling for his head. Clearly fox and their ilk need to get their message clear.

My view is that it did not go well, but by the time the mid terms or 2024 comes around, the stats of those lives lost in the withdrawal will pale into insignificance when compared to those lives lost when in occupation. Therefore, it will have a beneficial effect on his numbers in the medium to longterm IMHO.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Absolutely agreed - There have absolutely been mistakes made in the withdrawal and still further in terms of the current issue with France. And the Biden admin is taking flak for them, rightly to some degree , but the hyperbole from some on right particularly in regards to Afghanistan is displaying a fairly impressive ability to forget everything that happened under their varied leadership over the last 20 years or so.

Will either of those be "Election issues" in 2022/2024? I really don't think so.

I'm sure they'll be things that the GOP will talk about , but they won't be things that impact the voting decisions of very many voters.

Those that are currently "shocked, appalled and outraged" are already GOP voters and were never going to vote for a Democrat anyway.

More generally , this seems to be a major issue for the GOP - The majority of things that they are getting hot and bothered about are things that really only matter to people that are already GOP voters.

The GOP would seem to be struggling to find a wedge issue that might make significant numbers of Independents or Democrat voters shift allegiance.

They seem to have gone all in on "Pandering to the base" , which is great for fund raising perhaps , but not that much use in flipping seats

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

My view is that it did not go well, but by the time the mid terms or 2024 comes around, the stats of those lives lost in the withdrawal will pale into insignificance when compared to those lives lost when in occupation. Therefore, it will have a beneficial effect on his numbers in the medium to longterm IMHO.

Anyone who tries to focus on 13 US deaths, a few hundred Afghan civilians at the hands of IS and approximately 10 Afghan civilians at the hands of US military through failed intelligence should consider how they felt about all the senseless deaths that happened in the 20 years of the war, the several thousand US deaths, the 10's of thousand Afghan civilians deaths. Not to mention the lives interrupted, displaced and traumatised over that periods and just where they stood on all the acts that brought this about over that time.

We know where the GOP stand on accountability and responsibility, they held 11 investigations in to Benghazi, they failed to support a single one in to Jan 6th. It was a Republican Administration who started this mess, they have some gall to lambast a Democrat one because the pain and suffering continued as they ended it.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

“The evacuation could have been handled better, no doubt about it. Even Biden said so himself.”

I didn’t think he did, when did he say that?

He said it in an interview with CNN, 5 days after the evacuation started

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Funny, Biden gave a speech at the UN and wasn't laughed at. How refreshing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No clips of him fumbling a sentence yet? Or a story about <random person> really being in charge of the UN address? I am disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"Withdrawing from Afghanistan was managed badly, but was the right thing to do. How it could have been managed better is a tough one. So what big mistakes do you think he made?"

Withdrawing from Afghanistan THIS WAY was a big mistake. If it was done by Trump, media would made total global outrage about it. BTW - is it just me or we have two parallel threads about Biden Presidency (boards.ie/discussion/2058129276/biden-harris-presidency-discussion-thread)? I shared interesting link there and I am going to do it here too:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Absolutely horrific what's happening on the southern border on Biden's watch. The man has made a already bad situation even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭jackboy

In fairness to Biden it is a hard one to solve.

Building a wall is not acceptable.

Stopping people crossing the border is not acceptable.

Letting too many cross the border is not acceptable.

Deporting people is not acceptable.

All potential border policies are unacceptable.

Good luck to Joe on that one.

they/them/theirs

Can you name 1 Biden policy that’s doing the damage?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭jackboy

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Appointing Harris as some sort of border guru.

• Advertisement

What parts of her strategy do you disagree with and how would you improve it?

Advertisement