Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael D Higgins insists he is President of Ireland, refuses to commemorate partition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

I don't want to take away from this event. It was horrible and should never have happened. I'm not a republican nor a republican sympathiser.

However, the point you were making was the mass exodus of Protestants from the cityside to the waterside in Derry in the early 70's. We got into the discussion of what caused the fear that brought the exodus on. Something that happens over a decade later is not evidence of something driving fear at that time and if anything backs up my point that had Unionist leaders not sought to move Protestants away that we may have had a very different future from that point on.

Edit: I'd also like to make the point that David Wilson was a relative of my grandfather, either cousin or second cousin. I'm unsure. Many have lost people throughout the conflict but I'm just trying to make a point beyond the whatabouterry. If you make a statement about a mass movement of people then ask "who do you think that was?" without providing any insight into the WHY it happened then it feels like you're discussing in bad faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

A British citizen still living in the UK can renounce their citizenship and receive a declaration of renunciation once they hold another citizenship,

It's all a bit father Ted though...

Is there anything to be said for another mass...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

• Advertisement

It's ironic how some can't connect the dots between partition and the violence it caused on all sides.

If you want to have an campaign to promote the achievements in NI. Picking 100yrs and thus partition to base your marketing campaign on was a spectacular own goal and tone deaf as well. Assuming it was accidental. Which seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The. Mass. Has. Nothing. To. Do. With. The. DUP.

Poor little Michael D had his feelings hurt by the bold DUP, third biggest Unionist party in NI. It's the equivilant of a child saying they aren't going into the playground because someone called them a name. You'd tell them to cop on. NI exists, it's been recognized by the state of Ireland in the GFA, and it is 100 years old. Massive own goal by Higgins. Snubbing the people of NI, because the dinosaurs of the semi-extinct DUP. Makes him look like bigger clown than usual.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not an own goal at all..

He had been lauded by the vast majority for his decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

“But we were unaware about this issue to do with the title,” he said.

On Friday, President Higgins outlined his reasons for declining the invitation to the event in Armagh, which Queen Elizabeth is due to attend. He said that what started out as an invitation to a religious event had turned into a political statement.

On Sunday, Dr Martin confirmed that the church leaders “only learned that this week”. The story emerged during the President’s visit to Rome to meet Pope Francis.

So he lied about telling them that he had a problem with the title of the event. He lied about how he was addressed in the invitation. Partition didn't cause lots of violence. There would have been violence if we had a United Ireland too. We have to deal with reality. It seems like he just didn't want to go, no matter what. It is tantamount to treason, going against state policy of reconciliation.

Is it treason or is it not, hawley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You'll have to show how not attending this event is

1. Going against any state policies - which state policies and specifically how?
    2. Tantamount to treason - under which articles and how?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The church leaders claim that they consulted widely about the event. Clearly they didn't consult President Higgins then if they didn't know he had a problem with the title. From what I heard yesterday in interview, they said that initially the event had been listed in a list of celebratory events (Fireworks, dinner presumably), so was politicised.

You are telling lies when you claim he lied about being incorrectly addressed in the official invite. He was talking about the DUP in that instance, taken up incorrectly by the media. This has been clarified since, so stop perpetuating that lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

Given my personal experience with Eamonn Martin, he can take a running jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

If the wording on the invite is correct, well who give a sh*t what the DUP thinks?

They'll be loving this.

Exactly, Higgins is just giving the dying DUP relevance by taking this stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

It was Jeffrey Donaldson who referred to him as President of the Republic of Ireland, not the church leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Yeah because everything the church says can be taken at face value 🙄

I also previously addressed this nonsense about treason and you didn't respond. It's pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hang on here, what you seem to be suggesting is that he should be going just to spite the DUP?

Given the polls I seen over the weekend, the vast, vast majority of people are fully behind Higgins stance, I don't think Miggeldy should waste a careless thought on the likes of the gay hating, fenian bashing, creationist bigots within the DUP, or a few anon accs on boards.

Partition didn't cause lots of violence.

LOL. Its bit like Monty Pythons, so what did the Romans do for us. What did 100yrs of partition do for NI.

If they want to commemorate it. Go ahead. Most people aren't that interested. its like someone wanting to be praised because they are still using a VHS. Everyone else has moved on.

The mass has nothing to do with the DUP. He should be going to show moderate unionists that he is willing to represent them as President of Ireland. Not all unionists are a caricature of 1980s Ian Paisley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

...but he isn't their President; as was pointed out by a self-professed moderate Unionist on this thread, the Queen is their Head of State. Higgins would receive just as much faux outrage for overstepping if he had followed your advice.

I didn't say he represented them. I said it would show that he was WILLING to represent them.

And if he indicated he was WILLING to represent them, the same perpetually outraged folk would be moaning that he had overstepped. That's my point.

Below is the content of the letter that Higgins got. Nothing about celebrating partition. The message is Hope for the future based on everyone getting on in the here and now, and acknowledging the pain and hurt that partition caused. Honest reflection. I'm disgusted that he has refused to attend.

Dear President Higgins,

We trust this letter finds you well in these challenging times. We are writing on behalf of the Church Leaders Group(Ireland) to extend an invitation to you as President of Ireland to attend a Service of Reflection and Hope, to mark the Centenary of the partition of Ireland and the formation of Northern Ireland. The proposed date is Thursday 21st October at an appropriate time in the late afternoon. The service will take place in St Patrick's (Church if Ireland) Cathedral in Armagh.

This will be a service of Christian worship, hosted, organised and led by the leaders of the Church of Ireland, Roman Catholic, Presbyterian and Methodist Churches and the Irish Council of Churches. All of these churches extend across both jurisdictions on the island of Ireland. The service will provide the opportunity for honest reflection on the past one hundred years, with an acknowledgement of failures and hurts, but also with a clear affirmation of our shared commitment to building a future marked by peace, reconciliation and a commitment to the common good. The overriding theme will be that of 'Hope'.

A similar invitation is being extended to Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth. The congregation will include representatives from; the political leadership of Northern Ireland, the United Kingdom and Ireland, a cross section of the local population including some of our young people, and family members of those impacted during the difficult years of 'the troubles'.

We look forward to your reply.

Why? He already, I presume, represents Protestants in the Republic.

Whatever one may think of Higgins, he's diligent.

There's no way he came to the decision to refuse the invite spontaneously. It'll have been a decision he gave serious thought and consideration to.

Because Protestants in the Republic are Irish. A great deal of Unionists (strongly crossing over with those expressing the greatest outrage over this) are not Irish. The President of Ireland represents Irish people, the highly outraged folk would be quick to remind Higgins that the Queen is their Head of State and they intend on keeping it that way so he should stay in his own lane. Christ, on this thread alone we've already had moaning about his title being President of Ireland and claiming that suggests he is the President of NI too.

Are you suggesting that the reason Higgins refused was because he had some issue with Protestants?! What relevance does religion have to any of this?

Its time for the church to jog on and not be allowed to involve itself in everything.

The last thing you want to do is keep any association of 100yrs of partition and religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

His proper title, nothing about celebration, all about reflection and acknowledgement of hurt and a shared commitment to build a future based on peace and reconciliation.

I really don't understand Michael D's position on this. He has lied about it too.

• Advertisement

You can be protestant in NI and be Irish and get an Irish passport etc. He could have attended to represent the Irish people. There was nothing political about the invite he received.

Yes, a religious ceremony, organised by the main religious entities on the island, is in no way religious. Sorry for my irrelevant post.

Advertisement