Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You basically code in assembly which is as close to the bare silicon as you can get outside of machine language. It was the only way to get games running fast enough so such lowly hardware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy remains a standout memory of gaming tonal whiplash; having started a really interesting gaming idea for controlling both the murderer and detective ... only for the game to Hard Left into bullshít mayan conspiracies, Matrix slo-mo fights and internet gods. David Cage having control of a Star Wars game fills me with dread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Every single one of his games is this really interesting idea that David Cage then has no idea what to do with and fumbles badly and never quite finishes.

Fahrenheit had that diner scene with all its choices, none of which mean anything.

Heavy Rain has a compelling murder mystery that descends into ridiculous cliche and has to use red herrings to try and make it seem interesting.

Beyond.... well beyond is probably the most consistent narratively of his games but it's also complete and utter contrived shite. I had 'Aiden' figured out with in the first 30 minutes and the rest of the game was utter nonsense.

Detroit again is David Cage fumbling a good idea. His Kara short is excellent but then you get to Detroit and the entire game is sci-fi cliche.

He really should just be the ideas man who hands over his idea to a writer and game designer. It's the same with Kojima, his best works MGS and MGS3 were handled like this and when he has full control it ends up a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Star Wars is a load of shíte tbh. I loved it as a young lad back in the eighties but since my balls dropped, it's not something that I've cared for all that much. Going to see the woeful Phantom Menace was where the veil of nostalgia started slipping from my eyes and I fell asleep in the cinema during the second one of that trilogy. I've watched the new trilogy in a Saturday afternoon, switch the brain off mode and they're... grand. I've no investment in the series to summon any other feeling towards them but that.

I must admit, finding out someone my age (mid-forties) is a Star Wars obsessive is kind of like finding out someone's into crystals or homeopathy. I lose a little respect for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Just as a counter to the above, I really enjoyed all of David Cage's games. They are also some of the few games that my wife loves and plays through until the end.

That said, I've literally zero interest in Star Wars so I hope his next game is another original story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The movies might have become a mixed bag, but the world is absolutely a great sand-pit for adventures - be they interactive or not. Once you jettison the insistence on making everything tie back to the 'effin Skywalkers. The problem lately has been it is a mythology burdened by the very fans you speak to; while in gaming terms the bottom dropped out a little in regards options. But prior to the EA deal there was a wealth of great Star Wars games.

I remember playing Beyond Two Souls and I got to the end part of it where I must have hit the controller two three times in an hour and my wife asked me 'Are you actually playing that game or what?' and I couldn't answer her. That whole game was a steaming pile of horsepoo and I think the missus lost a little bit of respect for me that day while she watched me finishing it.

The best star wars story is still the Tie Fighter games where you are going about doing the boring day to day of running an empire of defending the borders, playing as a customs agent and upholding taxation laws. It's utterly fascinating. Even when you get into the deeper lore of sith orders and other groups it's just so interesting being involved in all the sects and groups in the empire vying for power.

It's way more interesting than the standard hero stories that keep going with. I suppose last Jedi deviated from that but I still think it's a bad film that didn't really deliver on the premise.

So yeah, **** David cage and bring back expanded universe games.

I enjoy them as well but more in the same way I enjoy Wiseau's the Room and the Twilight films.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Heavy Rain was atrocious. Having parts such as the woman having a shower, walking round in her underwear then being attacked by armed robbers or something, then her just waking up in bed because it was a dream... F*cking abysmal stuff. Not to mention having to tie the 60 year old Police Chief's tie for him just because the game needed to give you something to do.

Detroit was better, mainly bolstered by pretty great performances (especially Jesse Williams and Clancy Brown). But I was mostly glad it was on PS+ and I didn't have to pay for it. Still worth it on sale if you're into those types of games, but not full price.

That said I fear what Cage would do with a Star Wars game. It's not exactly a license which lends itself well to Quantic Dream's style of gameplay. Telltale maybe could still do something interesting with it, but not Quantic Dreams.

• Advertisement

Art is subjective and if you enjoy something then that's great.

What isn't subjective is the fact that David Cage is an awful writer.

I don't know anything about David Cage at all, I only know the games I've played - Heavy Rain and Beyond - and I thought they were scutter. It's not about being trendy, it's about wanting a decent narrative from the games. The stories in both were embarrassingly awful.

Trendiness is reduction; Cage's ideas are interesting to be fair to the man, but he's a terrible writer without the smarts to realise them with a degree of nuance. Maybe if he worked in the TV or film industry, which I suspect he'd love to, those flaws would be beaten out of him by editors and peers - but writing is often the first thing to die in Gaming, and is stymied by a sense of self-praise. Can't look at Cage's writing, then at something like Hades, and think there's a short hop between the two in terms of quality.

Now, whether someone values good writing in a video game is another matter, obviously; that's in the eye of the beholder/player. Fahrenheit would have been an infinitely better game IMO had someone leaned over Cage as he wrote the last acts and went "uhhhhh, Dave. Focus man". Cos the mechanics of that first half were chef's kiss level of great - and a real shame nobody hasn't tried to take the kernel and run with it. A potential minefield for calculating outcomes for sure.

I think a lot of the time when someone says a videogame has a good story it should be followed with 'for a videogame'. There's a few exceptions to that rule but they are rare exceptions.

In the cade of David cage his stuff is just woeful.

Games like Heavy Rain or Beyond are basically interactive stories - you sure as hell aren't playing them for the gameplay mechanics - so they are going to live and die by their story. I don't think I ever groaned as loudly as I did when I found out who the Origami Killer was and I can't even bring myself to try and remember any of the mess of a story that made up Beyond - I think I'm suffering some sort of Post Traumatic Storytelling Disorder. When you compare them to the first Telltale Walking Dead or Life is Strange, you can see what can be done with the same game format to make infinitely more engaging and narratively cohesive games.

The only good thing to come out Heavy Rain is the cameo in Astro's Playroom. I had so much fun messing with that victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I can't see Disney giving him (or anyone else for that matter) carte blanche anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'd be interested to hear what you think the exceptions are. I agree with you mostly btw, I can't think of too many games where I was completely engrossed with its story.

And even at that, a lot of those games with great stories are so often let down by boring gameplay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Give Star Wars to the Disco Elysium dev team, you Lucasfilm cowards!

Putting me on the spot here but I'm more impressed when a game tells it's story within the framework of the game rather than aspiring to be another marvel film with a game attached.

Stuff like silent hill 2, system shock 2 and earthbound are stand outs but I feel the really good stuff has been in the indie space. Hades, umarangi generation, journey etc. Even dark souls I find fascinating how it weaved it's gameplay systems into the narrative, something the follow ups couldnt match.

I think comedy games work really well as well with stuff like the original monkey islands and barkely shut up and jam gaiden being stand outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Good idea with the thread to see juicy games that may be coming out and track of they turn out to be fake or real. I just saw on Reddit that there was a 4chan leak that Mafia 2 remake is happening. Lot of specific details but would they really work on a remake so soon after a remaster (wasn't much of a remaster but still). Just give me Mafia 4 set in Vegas with criminal empire management like rumoured before.

• Advertisement

New collection of lion king and Aladdin games. Thins time including the jungle book game but also it seems it will ha e the snes version of Aladdin. That means there will at least be one good game on the collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

MGS remake. Deluxe edition comes in body sized cardboard box with free pack of cigs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Didn't David Cage get sidelined recently after some sexual misconduct allegations?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What a classy gentleman. When's he joining Activision?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I wonder will it include a feature where the taxi drivers treat the staff like **** just because they buy a lot of petrol there and feel like they own the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So, you definitely worked as a disgruntled petrol station employee for it to be that specific :D

I see it's also coming to Playstation, looks like a laugh.

In other news, EA Play is currently 1 euro for 1 month (can't stack) until end of September and you can use it for the free 10 hours of Fifa 22 if you wanted to give it a go.

Advertisement