Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

All you do is ask questions ... Your go to tactic is to answer a question with even more questions of your own, and when cornered you simply state that there is no point in addressing a point because the poster is not smart enough for your answer ...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

and theres your typical CT poster 101

dont like to be questioned

dont like to have to have anything more than a fleeting thought before portraying it as some kind of "eureka"

dont like to even attempt to consider the god forbidden possibility that they might be wrong / misled / misunderstanding

gimme my safe space or SHUT IT DOWN !!!

not really people who are open to discussion on a discussion forum.....

Not at all ... Below just a simple example ........ one of many

I ask King Mob a key question regarding my hypothesis

Did NIST accounted for free fall acceleration in their initial report ? yes or no

Response is

I can't answer that as the question doesn't actually make any sense.

This is because you don't know what freefall is. You don't know what "accounting" for freefall means.

You do not understand what the NIST report does say when it mentions freefall.

You are again demanding an answer to the question all while dodging one that proves both your ignorance and your dishonesty.

You don't understand physics and you can't admit that.

It's hilarious.

So in order to post in the CT forum and be worthy of an answer by the local skeptic I nee a degree in physics ?

And you have the gall to state CT'ers don't like to be questioned ... give me a break

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

No, how did you get that from what I said?

I'm saying that people with different base beliefs think differently and start from different assumptions than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

No man. Like I explained to you at the time you just had to accept that you might not know what the term meant.

This was demonstrated by you constantly dodging the point.

Notice how I addressed your question directly and clearly and how I explained to you it wasn't one I could answer?

If questions are off topic or unfair it's very very easy to show this.

Notice how you've not addressed the questions I asked in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Well no because some of the exact same topics like "contradicting medical science" as someone put it are discussed in the COVID forum without incident.

King Mob etc would be banned from that the forum if they tried the same thread-jacking routines.

The standards applied across boards should also be applied to the CT forum, which is a troll sanctuary. Release the trolls back into the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So is your issue is with the mods then as they are not acting on your reports as you would like them to?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Another poster continuing to use this thread to attack other posters despite the warnings - threadbanned

??

i "got that" from the fact you specifically referred to 'the religious' and compared to the 'secular'... in fact that was the only example you gave. Religion is faith based, and that faith turns to dogma.

so automatically the question is :

do you consider conspiracy theorists as a quasi religion and faith based, and as such can enjoy the protections of scrutiny ??

Yes ... You said you couldn't answer it because I don't understand what freefall is .... By doing so avoiding my simple question.

I think you are uncapable of answering my question directly because you don't have a clue yourself, You then deflect to make it my problem.

Its a well known tactic by you

Another one of your gems is this one .... a question is being asked ... you reply with 5 more and a few posts later you refuse to answer the initial or follow up question because not all of your own questions are answered to your satisfaction.

And this is not attacking a poster per se ... Its just an example as to how discussions are ruined in the forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Oh, and typically that poster had run away and not posted since"

Maybe the poster has a life, and doesnt need to spend all day on Boards?

But no, amongst theInfallible , that is a example of a conspiracy nut ... Wow ....

(i regret stumbling across this thread ....

Must ...........stop.....posting .....)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Drives people mad that you cant "block and move on" here. They actually have to be accountable, answer questions, qualify opinions, proper debate. Shocking!

This is one of the most pathetic and cowardly requests Ive ever seen. Seems theyve maxed out with Facebook comments as about the level of intellectual debate theyre capable of.

We're coming back to normal ish now, people back in the office and some of this conspiraloons just cant accept it. Cant accept that theyve wasted 18 months of their lives on this utter crap, losing friends and family along the way.

Time to eat some humble pie people! Accept and move on.

The poster posted 6 times in 3 hours yesterday between 1pm and 4 pm

within that 3 hour period he was challenged 6 different times to provide his evidence to show otherwise, and he declined every single one.

so before you go about defending certain posters on here, you should at least realise what your are defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Im not defending anyone.

I just dont like the pile on from the usual suspects when someone posts anything you lot dont agree with ...

Bye.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

LOL

its not something "we dont agree with"

it was a bare faced dangerous LIE

thats what you were defending.

do you think lies, that can do real damage, should be allowed to go unchecked in the conspiracy theory forum?

thats a straight yes or not question.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It isn't the case that they disagreed with what was posted. It was objectively wrong. Facts trump opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think it is quite interesting actually. It used to be that conspiracy theorists believed that they were onto something and would somewhat argue their belief as best they could.

Now it almost appears to be a case of, "Look, we all know we can't back any of this up, please stop asking questions and let us say these things anyway".

It used to be about "THE TRUTH", now its just a "Theory". Its quite a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

You must be joking? The ignorance is at a farcical level at this stage. It literally answers this question in post 1. 😆

One thing that's constantly brought up here is how people are "running away" and "avoiding questions". As another poster mentioned above - people have a life outside of boards. The expectation is that if you haven't responded within half an hour then the OP deserves to be abused and sneered at for two pages. Then when the OP does come back - sees two pages of the usual abuse and rightfully closes their laptop and moves on with their life. If they make the mistake of responding to any of the trolling they get further abuse for "Not answering questions!!!". Rinse/Repeat over and over.

posters disappearing when challenged is very much par for the course there.. .it isnt a one off or rare thing, its all the time.

all we're asking for is that they have courage of their convictions and show where they got their theory from, or simply clarify it as their opinion and nothing more.

why is that so scary to some people that they have to hide away from such a simple thing? i just dont understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Would you agree with using the template provided for CT threads?

I ask you because most of your threads have little to no content to discuss and fall at the very first hurdle and essentially go "This thing", "Everyone must agree". It's a huge pity, because while you are definitely on the far side of the plausibility of CT line (and other posters who post their theories would see your threads as being too implausible to even have a discussion), it can certainly be interesting to have a debate and work through the evidence piece by piece, but, for whatever reason, you won't post what you really think and have numerous threads on why a conspiracy theory should be believed without providing a coherent theory on any of your own threads, this drags the entire forum down.

I do generally "stay nice" and look for where we can have a starting point for a theory, and other posters, to be fair to them do that, but you don't. Even magnetic vaccine person tried to provide some evidence (even if they couldn't discern what giving everyone the powers of magneto would be used for).

Even from a debating perspective, if I had to prove "space is fake" I would be able to give it a go and provide more of a theory than there is in the many posts in that thread.

There's also no crime to being wrong on the internet, your starting position does not need to be your ending position in a discussion.

• Advertisement

As we're seeing though that's kinda the issue. Most of the conspiracy theorists don't have the courage of their convictions because they know their claims aren't true and don't make sense.

Again I asked several questions about the changes in the charter. Not one of them have been answered. We just have more personal attacks and whinging about having to answer questions. The goalposts have never stopped moving.

No one wants to answer the questions because they aren't able to. They aren't able to because their argument is flawed from the start.

Conspiracy theorists aren't concerned about discussion they just want certain discussion closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The clue is in the name, it's called the conspiracy theory forum, not the conspiracy facts forum.

Asking for facts in a conspiracy THEORY forum makes no sense. They're theories for a reason.

If someone claims that the covid vaccine makes the person magnetic and it can be shown that it does not, nor can it, make the person magnetic then the theory is bunkum. Not all theories are valid.

But what if conspiracy theorists are claiming things as fact? What if they claim certain facts point to a conspiracy?

What if those facts are wrong?

Do people get to pretend that these facts are true just because "It's a theory?"

And why can't we ask conspiracy theorists to explain what they believe in more detail? Why can't we ask them why they believe it?

Theory doesn't mean "made up story".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

A child would know that if it's in the conspiracy forum then you should take what you read with a grain of salt.

its not the 'conspiracy opinion' forum

theory must be based on some kind of event / phenomenon / incident and the hypothesis worked around it

so are you saying its acceptable to post stuff thats blatantly untrue there?

would you then be happy if that forum was moved to the "fictional writing" area of boards under the banner that whats posted is to be considered fiction?

So could you at least be direct and state if you believe that all space flights are fake?

You came onto that thread declaring that they were while engaging in all the behavoiur that is being falsely accused to other people as well as the behavoiur other people have been pointing out about conspiracy theorists

It would be very hypocritical for you to have done all this for a conspiracy theory you know is false.

But if it is true and you aren't able to just answer a simple question about your own beliefs I think that also proves the point.

If something is claimed that is demonstrably false what is the issue with pointing that out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ha I hadn't heard of the "great reset" in a while thank God.

You are right about CT and I'll add CA being full of posters often new ones who start threads with open questions and no opinion of their own only to disappear.

It's similar to all the fake "woke" threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement