Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kin - RTE & AMC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

So if Michael (ex-con) is Jamie’s (dead son) biological father, WTF does that make the conversation where the mother was doing the lad from the Savage Eye going on about “riiiiidding”. Even weirder now than it already was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

What "lad from the Savage Eye"? I had a look at the cast of the Savage Eye and I'm not sure who, or what, you are talking about. It's probably just me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Couldn’t think of his name - Mick the Bull, used to go on about “rriiddiinngg”. It reminded me of the mothers weird conversation at her son about riding. That was odd enough in ep 1 - but there seemed to be heavy hints that Michael is the dead son’s biological father, which makes the ‘the night you were conceived’ conversation even weirder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

I thought last weeks episode was enjoyable but had an idea this weeks would be very predictable, there was going to be a load of tears crying over the lad that got killed, which took up half the show and the next part them planning revenge. I had hoped there would be more character building. Frank coming out as being gay is that going to be worked in the story line or was it just for shock value?

There's still plenty of time for the show to mature but it looks to be following a set of guidelines that appears in other gangster shows.

Also I don't think it's shot very well, the lighting is awful in parts or maybe drab and depressing is the style they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

So far as a crime/gangster drama it's very boring. The amount of screen time given to Amanda when she's just a bit player in the family is just crazy. If 90% of the sopranos was set at home with Carmella fawning over AJ and crying and barely any of the crime/Mafia side, it wouldn't have gotten passed the first 2 episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I have a theory about this, it's widely rumoured in discussions about Irish gangland that it was the mother of one of the high profile victims who bankrolled and directed the revenge attacks. I could easily see a scenario in which Amanda gets fed up of waiting for the family to respond and goes on some kind of solo run. So far the show is taking a number of cues from rumours about real-life developments in recent Irish gangland feuds, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the route they went down - particularly if Jimmy or Michael gets himself shot during an attempted reprisal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,872 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

John Boy protecting Hughie same as Frank protecting Eric the Viking, I can see Jimmy or the missus Amanda going after both Frank and Eric

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Kweeeeeeeeeeeeelon Moore , hate the way he says the name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

"Quaaaaaaaaaaaaaares Riiiiiiiiiiidin" ,every episode, you wouldn't get away with that sort of scene now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I feel like Jimmy is disposable. Michael is not. Amanda is not. Frank is not. Viking is, but they will get mileage out of him first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,872 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

For me Claire Dunne is the mvp as Amanda, great acting

I'm enjoying it

It is miles better than some shite RTE has put out before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just on the background music - completely forgettable.

Nah, she's annoying.

Speaks too slow. Like Tommy from Love/Hate after his brain damage.

You can see the AMC influence in this. You'd think 30% of the population of Dublin are black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think you're 100% on the money here and the hinted romantic past with Mikey will be her webs to control the action with... there's a sense that he was the real hard-man of the family before his arrest and you can see him being set up to be so again but dancing to her tune rather than his uncle's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Like watching paint dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The blurry camera shots are starting to annoy me. I’m not expecting a love letter to Dublin or anything, but it’s always good to spot certain landmarks in Dublin dramas and I know where exactly a scene is being shot. You can barely even see the background half of the time.

Having said that, I did find it mildly amusing when Frank was in the car with Eamon and they were approaching the East Link toll bridge and he goes “this isn’t the way to the airport”. Yes, it is - go over the toll bridge and take the Port Tunnel 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Early Love/Hate was dreadful, amateur hour .......there was an early episode on Rte2 last night, it was laughably bad compared to what it later became ........if you've ever seen Boyzone's first ever tv appearance (late late show I think) ........that was series 1 and 2 of L/H 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

John Connors was a great character too in love/hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Don’t forget the women too in love/hate, the brothel Madame that nidge was banging, the hit woman who shot Darren, Darren sister, siobhan, all great characters.

And

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

Really? I don't think he had to stretch himself too much to play that role.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Michael seems to be responsible for his kids mothers death going by what was said last night, guess that will come out in later episodes.

I know it can't be all shooting every minute but it was a bit slow compared to the opening episode.

Frank getting his lolly licked by the barman was a bit random unless its setting up a scenario where his sexuality will be used to blackmail him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Dam. Had high hopes for this but its shocking.

A generic poorly written script and dialogue so far, and some surprisingly shoddy and nonchalant acting from what is a solid cast.

The only saving grace was some amazing visuals and camera work in episode 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Good production values and cinematography but the story really is grim and cliched. At least love hate had some lighter moments and characters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,611 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It's all just opinions but for me the character that was Nidge carried it somewhat till he made the show his own......L/H was fast paced from the beginning something this show is lacking but the accusations thrown at Kin were all there also, some terrible dialogue wooden acting and not very believable gangland 'baddies'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,066 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Maybe Michaels misses was caught in the crossfire of a revenge shooting or something

Amanda's Dublin accent is pretty strong but overall she's the acting MVP of the series

The goons on all sides don't look that menacing. Vikings lads look pretty shite tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The second episode really moves along slowly...

The scripting is really bad and only for the cast do they get away with it, its really just Red Rock.

The scene where EJS pisses in the bag all I could think was that the emotions coming from the rest of cast was "Jasus!", and then Charlie Cox quietly says "I have to go!"

but so much emotion!

Charlie Cox's character might actually have a story.

Claire Dunne has the unfortunate task of having to share the screen with EJS.

I think they possibly should have killed off the son in a different episode.

EJS completely over acts across all the films and tv shows that he is in.

Overall mediocre. Going avoid reviews and spoilers of next episode.

Actually didn't mind the soundtrack but it should have been an opportunity to provide someone in the Irish/Local industry with some work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I saw a promo for this, and I noticed peculiar camera angles? Is there a name for this kind of technique*. It's like an attempt to add gravitas to the production when all it is is placing a camera at a odd angle.

*Would it be the 'fly perspective'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The TikTok generation. If something exciting isn’t happening every 90 seconds it’s absolutely the worst thing ever to have happened on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The soundtrack is someone from the Irish industry. It's David Holmes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Poor auld Frank probably only asked the barman to put a head on his point 😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭rom

RTE's add they are playing this week about the next Episode is really bad. It's basically all spoilers. Well done RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeah the blurry shots, which seemed to be every second shot in episode 2, are bothering me too. I don't know why!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Just doesn't have the same magic as Love/Hate - its not great.....Gillan getting a blow job for the shock effects NAH 2 episodes enough .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think I made the same remark almost word for word as soon as that line was uttered!

Frank being shown as gay/bi with a predilection for casual hookups seems a bit of a Chekov's gun - no doubt it'll be how he gets killed later in the season: a honey trap of some sort.

Sam Keely (Eric "Viking" Kinsella) was a cast member of RTE drama Raw, like Keith McErlean (Doyler). He was also in the RTE crime drama Dublin Murders. Sam appeared in an episode of TV3 mystery drama Jack Taylor.

Both Aiden Gillen and Maria Doyle Kennedy were in Channel 4 drama Queer as Folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

the lad who was killed

is his dad irelands answer to jason mamoa lol

shocking acting in fairness

half of them are probably scrotes in real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Yes. It was trite and cliched.

Hes a gangster and hes gay. Wow. Shock horror!. Maybe if his character had some depth and back story it might have had some impact, but it doesnt.

Just really poor writing. Dull and unimaginative.

I saw somebody on here insuating people arnt getting it because it's too slow moving and lacking action. What a load of codswollip. It's the quality of the work that is getting on peoples wick.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

The show is very patchy. At points it works quite well but some of it is poorly written.

Claire Dunne is quite poor in her role. The accent doesn't work. Ditto Maria DK. Generic matriarch of gang family part. Also, what is going on with Ciarán Hinds' accent too? Has he had a stroke?

The most interesting part about it is Charlie Cox's character which seems to have a lot of internal conflict going on. It has me interested to see which way it will play out.

Further to the above (Sam Keeley), other connections to legal or detective or mystery dramas: - I may have mentioned some of these before -

Charlie Cox: Lewis and Judge John Deed.

Maria Doyle Kennedy: DDU: District Detective Unit/Making the Cut (RTE), Striking Out (RTE) and Dexter.

Aidan Gillen: The Bill, Law and Order: Trial by Jury and The British Detective.

Emmet J. Scanlan: The Fall and No Offence.

Ciaran Hinds: Between The Lines, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, Above Suspicion and its sequels.

Conor Mullen: The Bill, The Silence, Murder Prevention, Heartbeat and Silent Witness.

Incidentally, Conor Mullen was another person in the RTE drama Raw.

Both Charlie Cox and Marie Doyle Kennedy have appeared in Downton Abbey (the tv series).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ep2 was poor...and episode 1 wasnt that great either.

Waste of a good cast....Clare Dunne does well with what she has (she can definitely act she is brilliant in herself).....but Aidan Gillen and emmett scanlan...are absolutely f#cking awful in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

deleted

The trailer gives it all away for EP3.

Thought the face to face camera thing with Amanda and Eamon was cringe. Trying to make it out like there's some kind of proxy war.

• Advertisement
Advertisement