Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and UK to now furnish Australia with nuclear submarines.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You can be sure they will pursue the de facto existence of one.

Commentary in Australia tends to agree with the opinion of France24. Morrison has acted beyond his office by not getting parliamentary ascent for many aspects of the announcement this week. I remain convinced American built or supplied as technology submarines will never operate with the RAN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

We've all been there with plumbers, mechanics, building contractors. There is something satisfying about seeing them tell the french builders that their services are no longer required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

If they sold them to Argentina I think I might make a special pee in my undies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Can you link anything to support this statement? The odd opinion piece in the SMH is not 'commentary in Australia'.

No one has of course offered an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,641 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Opinion piece in the SMH are pretty much a textbook example of "commentary in Australia".

There are separate but overlapping discussions to be had about (a) whether the decision to call off the French project and start again with a nuclear submarine project is the right choice for Australia, and (b) whether the decision has been well-executed. Most of the discussion in Australia so far is about question (a), but I think there's a growing sense that on question (b) the government's performance has been poor.

What I'm hearing is that the Aussies approached the UK about getting nuclear subs based on the UK's; the UK said the US would have to be involved so they were brought into the loop; the US said that the Aussies should talk to the French; the Aussies told the US that the French new the existing project wasn't working and would be read for the fact that it would be terminated; the Americans believed this; it turns out not to be true. The French are now spitting; the US are very ticked off about this — they have no reason to pick and unnecessary fight with the French — and they blame the Aussies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rock22

While the lost of the sub contract will hurt the French, i sense the big issue is the exclusion from the new AUKUS security pact and more generally from any pacific security arrangement. France has been pushed aside as either 'not needed' or as' un-trustworthy'.

It is clear that there is genuine fury in Paris and while tempers will eventually cool, it is not clear how this might ever be repaired. Following on from the Afghanistan withdrawal mess, it indicates that Biden's foreign policy needs a reset.

I' sure the Argentinians would love them, as long as the French don't charge more than about 50 quid per sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

That's the point that some people are missing, this isn't mostly about a poorly communicated contract termination from Australia. Its a new military alliance between allies that excludes the French.

The way I see it there are 2 likely outcomes:

1. France publicly shows outrage while maintaining it's desire to work together behind the scenes, i.e. remain in NATO.
    2. France pulls out of NATO and pushes for an EU army. (unlikely because the political will from other EU countries isn't there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, it's not the actual loss of the contract so much that is bothering the French. It's more the way the US and Australia went about things, effectively lying to them and stringing them along, something that has left them taken aback.

and an impending presidential election, where standing up to the Americans is always a good political move domestically.

It feels like a massive political coup for Johnson. Causing problems between the US and France, and by extension, the EU, and putting the EU-Australia trade deal in jeopardy.

This is going to be a long four years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You think that losing a 40 billion contract in an election year is not a massive deal for Macron? Normady just loss a massive economic boost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

EU caught on hop, scrambles to react. Other news: grass still green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

To me, looks like US/UK have set down a strong marker. They appear to trust and value a culturally similar nation (Australia) that is not even in NATO far more deeply than they do any of their other NATO allies incl. a supposedly large & important one like France. They will give Australia their secret technologies and weapons on near equal footing. They also cook it up behind the back of the French (and other NATO members) and gazump a big defence contract + destroy jobs and industry in their "ally" into the bargain. Doesn't give impression that much thought at all was given to France (by US) in any of this, whatever the justifications.

Coming after various US & UK actions in the recent past, it looks like a big shift is going on in the world where option 2 doesn't seem impossible (the second bit especially, which will reduce importance of NATO). The "dreaded" EU/European army really may go somewhere now, most likely as a "coalition of the willing" as the yanks used to call it. I suppose we'll have to see what happens after the German election.

I read somewhere that France accepted Greek agricultural goods in exchange for rafales. Arg produces plenty of agri goods.

China takes boatloads of soy beans from them in exchange for engineering products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

NATO is/was meant to be about Europe. It's not relevant or appropriate to be thinking of NATO involvement in events concerning the Pacific ocean and Oceana. There is a long standing ANZUS treaty that is more relevant.

I think what I was trying to say, is that one can cherry-pick a few opinion pieces and use that as an example or 'commentary in Australia is against this deal' to frame it in a negative light. Australia is a democracy so of course people will air their opinions and give their view on it.

However, broadly most people welcome the deal itself. A poll even has Labour voters pretty evenly spit at agreeing with the deal, while LNP voters are very much in favour of it.

As per how the deal was made, I have not read that and would like to know the source of it, as there are plenty of rumours.

France is mad, because it wants a seat at the table where the Indo-Pacific will be the main theatre of power for the next 100 years. But they have been sidelined in an embarrassing fashion.

Given the lack of progress on the existing sub contract, it would appear the French have considerable expertise in 'stringing along'. I suspect the French firm have their hands completely full making nuclear subs for France and that the Australian contract was a bothersome and difficult diversion they weren't putting much effort into.

• Advertisement

Funny how the Brits finger wagged and forewarned of the awful danger of a single european defense, yet hopped right into bed with the worlds most war-hungry nation overnight.

US and Chinese vessels regularly disputing and dickwaving. Sure, join in. What could go wrong.

EU discusses standardizing equipment. Oh good heavens it will surely lead to ww3.

You appear to have been asleep since WW2, given you thinking the Uk just hopped into bed with the US. This is mainly about Australia, which is hardly the biggest warmonger on the planet.

The French do put on a good show when they think they are wronged. OK, maybe it wasn't handled the best, but it is not as if the existing contract Australia had with Naval Group was going that well. Naval Group, which is owned by the French government were treating the Australians like a gold mine. For example, it was alleged that when training documents and engineering manuals were sent by the French to Adelaide, they were written in French. When they were asked to translate them to English to wouldn't do so unless they paid to do so. I guess that is how a contract of $40 billion can spiral to $90 in a few years.

Think our Children's hospital and issues with BAM acting up and charging extra for everything, but by a factor of x100. At least at the end of that, we will get a world-class children's hospital. If the Aussies went ahead with the French deal they would have ended up with a poor product for the guts of $100 Billion spent.

Saw this on Twitter, which explains the operational capability differences between a conventional diesal sub and a nuclear power sub. Range and endurance in a different league. No wonder the Chinese are upset.

Perth WA just built a world class childrens hospital. Probably best for ones blood pressure to not compare the costs.

The investors definition of a gold mine is a hole in the ground with a liar on top, so probably very apt. Having lived next to the director of a gold mining company and seen him hiding from process servers and having foolishly invested in a couple, that description is 100% accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Range, endurance and payload claims are correct.

The claim that nuclear subs are quieter is not. It's a mistruth that I've seen repeated as part of Australia's justification calculus.

Diesel electric and AIP are far quieter and are often used for anti submarine warfare training by US when exercising against US allies for precisely that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

A French minister was asked why they only recalled ambassadors from Aus & US and not UK. The answer was essentially that the UK was irrelevant in this matter.

Presumably all sides will at some point want to patch this up. Would France agree to join the others in this newly formed Pacific pact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They do get involved a lot though. They tend to have a presence (if small) in a lot major conflicts as an ally.

• Advertisement

Oh Im sorry I thought UK went into a new theatre of operations with a nation thats constantly at war. I must have forgotten that aukus goes back to the 40s.

Advertisement