Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Student Accommodation Development - Baker's Corner

Options
  • 20-09-2021 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭

As described in detail here https://bakerscornershd.ie/

Thoughts?

Can't say I'll miss Baker's Corner Pub. Interested to see how this plays out locally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Not too pretty but student accommodation sorely needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

A good bit taller than anything nearby. 6 Storeys for one Block I think.

I agree there's a huge shortage of purpose-built student accommodation. IADT will be happy I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A blast from the past, I grew up on pottery Road 😁

Is Bakers still going 🤔, its been years since I was in that neck of the woods.

Seems like quite an ambitious plan

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Bakers is OK as a pub, full of students and locals. Very handy for IADT, I guess that is what they are aiming it at!.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bakers has been run into the ground which is a damn shame, it used to be a great local. The right owner could turn it around, but it looks like thats not on the cards.

The scale of the proposed development is reasonable, but the architectural finish is a bit jarring, it needs to be more sympathetic with the surrounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

They're only after starting to re-paint the pub ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Was it not bought by a consortium of Leinster rugby players 4 or 5 years ago???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Same crowd who bought the Lep Inn. The Loyola Group. http://loyolagroup.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

All I can say is that the corner is about to become a whole lot uglier. What is with all of these Bauhaus-esq boxy designs?

Also, myself and many others will be sad to see another quaint pub bite the dust.

Quaint is a word long since past its sell by date if you're talking about Bakers.

The design is just de rigeur, they'll be asked to do better, something less severe, maybe a brick cladding, more disruption of the facade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

And hopefully sit it back from the road a bit - the higher bits anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Bakers went down hill once the eye(farmhouse closed). I cant see that getting PP, agree that it will go ahead and be scaled back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Bakers went downhill when John Brady left. My father (now deceased) and a number of his friends went there 2 or 3 times a week for food. Many of my elderly neighbours went there regularly for the carvery John Brady or whoever was the manager for the day would always make a point of coming down and chatting to them, the chef would give them the odd free dessert or coffee and they were generally made to feel very welcome. When the Lep Inn crowd took over, the menu changed, the manager spoke to no-one and they felt ignored. So they left and have never gone back. Maybe the new owners didn't want that demographic or simply didn't understand the hospitality trade.

You wouldn't be the first one to suggest that Loyola have a thing or two to learn about real hospitality.

In the case of Bakers, its clear they never had any other intention but to operate it as a zombie and eventually turn five million into a complex generating two million every year for the next thirty years.

Yes there will be a bar in there somewhere, but it won't be the same. What a pity for the local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Does anyone know how you can view the objections to this application? The IT quotes various objections in this article, I'd like to read the full text of the objections..... https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/student-accommodation-plan-for-baker-s-corner-opposed-1.4718473

I checked the DLR co co website but they make it very clear that they do not handle applications that are under the heading of Strategic Housing Developement (SHD). Here is the relevant page on the ABP website..

https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/case/311411

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Here you go: https://planning.agileapplications.ie/dunlaoghaire/application-details/90836

For future reference, if you go into the Planning Section of DLRcoco.ie and search by map, you can navigate to the application, from there you can click More Info... to get to the link above

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks a bunch for that. But I find it very confusing that DLR co co make it abundantly clear that a planning application under SHD has to be submitted direct to ABP and they will 'return to sender' if they receive one. Yet here they have all the objections on their website 🙄

They just transcribe to their website what the board receives so people can read them more easily. ABPs website is notoriously difficult to navigate.

Its not that confusing that any developments which exceed the SHD thresholds go to the ABP and not to the County Council.

Advertisement