Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,293 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Modeligo into the Western final with the other semi final between An Rinn and Stradbally taking place later on

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

No Rush ! The football championships have to start yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Great wins for Dungarvan, Roanmore and Mount Sion over the weekend, I would have tipped Abbeyside and Lismore to come through if I'm honest. Abbeyside in particular will be very disappointed as I'm sure they would have loved another crack at Ballygunner.

Lismore will also be kicking themselves for not putting the game to bed after Roanmore went down to 14 in the last few minutes and then conceding 1-1 from Gavin O'Brien at the death. Credit to Roanmore though, they've been going about their business this and the last few years fairly well. Quelly seems to be getting a tune out of them and they strike me as a team without really any star players but more stronger as a collective. I'm sure that could change as they have some decent young lads who represented the county in recent years and could go on to establish themselves in at senior level (Rory Furlong, Cian Wadding). Any one at this game able to give a better report?

I streamed the Ballygunner and FMW game on Saturday, decent enough standard and fairly entertaining. FMW ran out of steam in the last quarter but I felt the turning point was around that time Aaron Ryan missed a fairly scorable free when either the teams were level or FMW a point up, can't remember exactly which. A minute later, Jamie Barron won a ball in midfield and went on one of his trademark runs through the centre. He offloaded to Ryan again who put it wide, could have been a bit of daylight between the sides and given FMW a lot of momentum going into the home straight. BG went down the other end and tacked on a few points in succession. A bit like Limerick at intercounty senior level, if BG get 5-6 points ahead it's curtains and this proved to be the case for FMW and in the end was a comfortable finish for BG.

Sounds like Aussie had a great game to push Sion over the edge against Passage and Patrick Curran (as well as the Dungarvan Michael Kiely) did likewise for Dungarvan.

Anyone at the games care to weigh in with views? Anyone put their hand up for Cahill to take a look at?

No doubt Peter Quelly does a good job with whatever team he does take over. How many Waterford has he managed at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Patrick Curran is in serious form this year. Great win for Dungarvan with Curran, Darragh Lyons, Michael Kiely, Kieren Power all playing well.

The county player Michael Kiely started really well for Abbeyside but drifted out of it then. Is he carrying an injury? Prunty ended up at centre forward as Abbeyside chased the game but it just wasn't their day.

I can't see Mount Sion beating Ballygunner but if Austin turns it on, anything is possible as Ballygunner don't seem that invincible this year. However, the Mount Sion defense probably cannot hold out for 60+ minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Patrick Curran was the best player on display in the 3 matches I saw. The move to the half forward line has really suited him as he can draft and pick up ball rather than the more confined inside line. He plays the position quite like Paidi Mahony does. I also felt he contributed when he came on against Limerick as Declan Hannon had to decide whether to come out and mark him or sit back. It will be interesting to see if he can nail down a similar role with Waterford. Credit to Dungarvan in general for a really hard working team performance summed up by Michael Kiely.

Austin scored well but to me doesn't seem to be moving entirely freely. He came in for some tough tackling from the Passage defenders throughout. Stephen Roche was exceptional in midfield. However it's very hard to see Mt Sion turn over Ballygunner.

Roanmore have a way of dragging teams into a dog fight and when that happens they are tough to beat. A couple of the bigger names in the Lismore team didn't fire either. Cathrach Daly caught the eye and it will hardly be long before he wears the senior county jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

How old is dungarvan Michael kiely? he has been one of the standout players so far, 5 goals in 3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Ballygunner were made work for their win over Fourmilewater on Saturday when ultimately, errors by the Fourmile side proved very costly and can't be made if you want to defeat Ballygunner. Realistically, Fourmile could have been more than a point up at HT but for their own mistakes. The Gunners goal was particularly soft and should have been dealt with by the goalkeeper and the Fourmile puckouts cost them a few scores as well as some poor wides at the other end, particularly during Ballygunners purple patch when they got 8 points in a row in the 2nd half. If Fourmile had broken this momentum and taken their chances, they would have been much closer going into the last 10 minutes but ultimately, Ballygunner ran out comfortable winners. Dessie Hutchinson and Thomas O'Gorman had a great battle with O'Gorman doing a fine job considering the space in front of his full back line, while Conor Sheehan and Jamie Barron were both effective in the midfield area. Fourmile area good, physical side who have improved this year under Michael Ryan and would have fancied their chances against any of the other quarter finalists. Ballygunner pushed on in the 2nd half but have a lot of room for improvement. Philip Mahony is a huge loss and is a calming influence at number 6 but despite this, I do think they'll have too much for Mount Sion next weekend.

The other game I was at was Dungarvan and Abbeyside match yesterday which fizzled out disappointingly as Dungarvan were fair superior. The 1st half was exciting and tight but Dungarvan, despite being against the breeze, looked the better outfit with Michael Kiely and Gavin Crotty looking dangerous up front but it was a very soft opening goal for Kiely due to a goalkeeping mistake. Abbeyside finished the 1st half with some fine scores to get level but from the opening few seconds of a scrappy 2nd half when Darragh Lyons landed a huge point, Dungarvan never looked back. Gavin Crotty won the 2 penalties which Patrick Curran dispatched confidently while Kiely completed his hat-trick late on. Michael Kiely Abbeyside and John Curran had a good battle inside but Abbeyside's gameplan seemed to be to land high, long ball in on top of the Dungarvan full back line which they generally dealt with easily enough. As I said last week, I've been impressed with Dungarvan so far and having Kieran Power back and starting Gavin Crotty the weekend improved their lineup even further. Their forward line is motoring well and while Colm & Cathal Curran and Joe Allen didn't have their best games, they have the ability to step up the next day. Patrick Curran had a very good 2nd half, particularly when Prunty was moved up to the Abbeyside forwards and as stated, Kiely and Crotty were excellent. Kiely is 27 and played his underage hurling with St Pat's (Tooranena) and won a Harty Cup with Dungarvan Colleges and has been one of the standout players in this year's championship. His ability to win frees, energy, elusiveness and workrate added to his hurling ability means he can be a nightmare for a defender and he could have actually had a few more points, hitting a few wides.

massive weekend of games ahead

Friday 24th Sep 7pm Fraher Field- Senior Hurling Relagation game- De La Salle vs Ballysaggart

Sat 25th Sep 1.30pm Fraher Field- Senior Hurling Relagation game- Ballyduff Upper vs Clonea

Sat 25th Sep 4.30pm Walsh Park- Senior Hurling Semi Final- Ballygunner vs Mount Sion

Sun 26th Sep 1.30pm Walsh Park- Senior Hurling Semi Final- Roanmore vs Dungarvan

Sun 26th Sep 2pm Fraher Field- Western Junior (A) Final- Colligan vs Brickey Rangers (Due to the East A final been Mount Sion vs Roanmore, the winner of this game wins promotion to Intermediate and will represent Waterford in the Munster Junior Hurling Championship

Sun 26th Sep 3.30pm Fraher Field- Western Intermediate Final- An Rinn vs Modeligo

Sun 26th Sep 4.30pm Walsh Park- Eastern Intermediate Final- Ferrybank vs Dunhill

Sun 26th Sep 5.15pm WIT Arena- Eastern Junior (A) Final- Mount Sion vs Roanmore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

The winner won't automatically go up as roanmore and mount sion don't have a team playing in the intermediate grade so the county final winner will be promoted. You are correct about the Munster Club championship

My mix up

Surprised about Mount Sion not having an Intermediate team

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DeHorse88

Michael Kiely Dungarvan surely deserves a County Call up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

A lot of questions about Dungarvans Michael Kiely as he had a good game last weekend. Good player but not an intercounty player or even close. He’s around 27/28 originally from St Mary’s/Sliabh Gcua but transferred to Dungarvan a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DeHorse88

Can’t say I’ve ever seen much of him but can’t rule a fella out from getting a trial cos he’s 27/28. He’s having an excellent Chanpionship not just 1 good game. He looks like a strong enough fella that can move. Would Cahill not even take a look at him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Think he's coached in other counties too, possibly rower-inistioge in Kilkenny and someone in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brian2614

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

So Queally has been with Ballygunner, Dungarvan, Passage, Shamrocks, Abbeyside, Roanmore & possibly Ballydurn in Waterford. He was definitely with Youghal and Sarsfields in Cork. He was with the Rower Inistioge in Kilkenny for a year. He was a senior selector with Waterford hurlers under Davy & under 21 manager & coached the county footballers for a time.

In terms of success, what has he won? I think everyone would say the county title with Passage was a huge achievement (and daylight robbery :L) but would it be fair to say he hasn't had huge success anywhere else in terms of trophies?

Post edited by upthedeise16 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

i dont understand why every team has to be about being senior and winning county, junior b is underrated not ever lad whants to eat rabbit food and train 10 times a week,more work needs to be done to allow for the casual player,junior b isn't a big enough grade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I don't know what he's won but i know if he's married and has kids that they must never see him!!

RIP Tom Kiely, played on Munster title winning Waterford teams, minor in 1992 and u21 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Desperate sad news. A gentleman to boot from a great Colligan /St Pats GAA family. His brother Willie played for the county aswell. That’s 2 from those successful teams, himself and Paul Foley, now gone to eternal reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

While last weekend’s senior hurling qualifiers included two edge-of-the-seat one-point wins, we saw better hurling in the other two games. There was a lot of effort but little quality in the Mount Sion/Passage encounter. Sion probably should have won more comfortably, but two rather fortunate goals helped keep Passage in the contest. Mount Sion had the better individual contributors, with Stephen Roche providing excellent leadership, Austin Gleeson supplying a vital cutting edge and Luke O’Brien doing great work at the back. 

For me the most amazing moment of the game came in the last minute when, with Passage two points down and needing a goal to survive, Mikey Cummins got the ball in the clear about 30 metres out. However, instead of bringing the ball in and either going for a goal himself or passing to a team-mate free to his right, Cummins opted to tap the ball over the bar. The referee did allow one more passage of play which came to nothing, but it was still an extraordinary decision on Cummins’s part.

Roanmore were clearly the better team in their game against Lismore, who only managed to stay in touch through the goal-scoring heroics of Ray Barry, who ended up with a tally of 3-1. Roanmore made up for a lack of individual brilliance with a great work rate throughout the team, good organisation and a good game plan based on a combination of short passing and hard running. They seemed to win every ruck and breaking ball against listless opposition. And they did have one outstanding performer in Gavin O’Brien in midfield.

Lismore have a lot of players with great ability, but little of this was on show here. It looked to me that both Iarlaith Daly and Oisín O’Gorman were far from fit, while Jack Prendergast was also anonymous. It was probably a reflection on the rest of the team that half-time substitute and veteran Dan Shanahan was probably their best player in the second half. Apart from Ray Barry they did have an excellent performer in Cárthach Daly who showed great skill, pace and commitment playing in midfield and is surely destined for a place on the county senior panel.

Fourmilewater put in a great first half against Ballygunner. They worked very hard and very effectively to put their opponents under pressure and prevent them from putting their passing patterns together. This forced the Gunners into a lot of untypical errors. Unfortunately for FMW, they made a lot of basic mistakes themselves, with their first touch being poor at times. Still, they were good value for their one-point lead at half-time which would have been more were it not for the concession of a very soft goal to Kevin Mahony in the 16th minute.

While Ballygunner clearly raised their game after the interval, FMW were unable to maintain their first-half work rate. They were still hanging on, but two bad misses by Aaron Ryan in the 40th and 42nd minutes sucked the energy out of them.  Ballygunner seized on the opportunity to put the game to bed with seven unanswered points over the next ten minutes. During this period FMW just couldn’t get their hands on the ball as the Gunners combined their trademark passing movements with superb shooting.

For Ballygunner, veteran defenders Barry Coughlan and Shane O’Sullivan provided great stability in the face of the pressure exerted by FMW in the first half while Conor Sheahan put in a great hour at midfield. When their forwards got going, they simply had too much class in the shape of Peter Hogan, Pauric and Kevin Mahony and Dessie Hutchinson. For FMW, Tom O’Gorman produced a marvellous performance at full back.

The Fraher Field clash between Dungarvan and Abbeyside was the most eagerly awaited of the weekend, not only because of the local rivalry involved, but because these were the teams considered probably the most likely to put up a challenge to Ballygunner in the later stages of the competition. Unfortunately, it turned out to be something of a damp squib, with the Townies cantering to an easy victory in the final quarter.

Although Abbeyside started well, it quickly became clear that Dungarvan were the better team. They were working harder, their first touch was superior and they used the ball much more effectively. Their three county players – Patrick Curran, Darragh Lyons and Kieran Power – were all excellent, while their Abbeyside counterparts – Conor Prunty, Neil Montgomery and Michael Kiely – were largely ineffectual. In the early minutes, Kiely looked like he might win the game on his own, but his impact faded due to a combination of good Dungarvan defence and a poor supply of good ball. The return of Kieran Power was a big boost to Dungarvan as he produced his best performance for some time and was particularly prominent in the later stages as Abbeyside sought desperately to retrieve the game.

While it is difficult to identify a single Abbeyside player who had a good game (David Collins is a possible exception), Dungarvan had many other excellent individual performances from the likes of John Curran, Kenny Moore, Gavin Crotty and especially three-goal hero Michael Kiely. There were some raised eyebrows when Kiely moved from Touraneena to Dungarvan some years ago, and I think it would be fair to say that he never lived up to what were high expectations. He seems to be a different player this year, very good in his previous games and absolutely devastating here. On this form, a county call-up could be on the cards.

Yet, despite all this Dungarvan dominance, the game was still in the balance up to the 45th minute when only three points separated the sides. It was only when Patrick Curran smashed home his second penalty at this stage that the game was as good as over. Ultimately, the deciding factor in this game was the porosity of the Abbeyside full back line, from which four of Dungarvan’s five goals emanated. The irony here, of course, is that Abbeyside had the best full back in Ireland in their side, except he was out the field vainly chasing after Patrick Curran while the line behind him was going up in flames. I’m sure a lot of Abbeyside people are wondering what their team’s management were doing as this disaster unfolded before their eyes.

Ballygunner vs Dungarvan could be a great final and it's what everyone is expecting but things might not go to script. Roanmore have a better chance of beating Dungarvan then Mount Sion have of beating Ballygunner

Reckon there's a few nervous heads around De La Salle as they prepare for there relagation game against Ballysaggart. One would assume if they can combat the Bennets then DLS will win but DLS themselves need to step up a few gears. Battle of the 2018 and 2020 intermediate champions in the other relagation match, Ballyduff Upper have a good record in relagation matches

• Advertisement

Lights gone in the Fraher field ...

Advertisement