If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denon DCD800NE

Options
  • 29-11-2020 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hey guys,

bought this Denon unit from you 22 nov 19. I hardly use it but I notice it takes long time to read discs now and especially spouts an unsupported message at verbatim brand cd-r discs even though cdrw playback is very supported,  when booted cold. When switched on for say 15 mins it seems to work fine but was always slow reading. my 28 year old technics next to it reads the same discs at warp speed and was designed before cdrw existed. The room it is in is very clean but on the cold side but obviously not excessively cold or the same as outside temps. I had a similar issue with a Marantz UK CD6006 I bought clearance from the same date and order. It spouted the unsupported message on it's display and was sent back to ye the same week. I remember the boxes when they arrived by courier were in bits and perhaps kicked around but never complained as the unit itself appeared perfect visually. I just write to ask your thoughts and perhaps think is worth sending up for a look at. I last wrote here asking about the ROTEL CD11 Tribute and it's ability to play CDR, can't find any concrete info on that, even emailed Rotel but they couldn't bother to reply, can you guys check? please give me an offer I couldn't refuse along with a 1M Chord interconnect for the Rotel and lead.

regards,
    Thomas.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

parasomnia wrote: »
    Hey guys,

bought this Denon unit from you 22 nov 19. I hardly use it but I notice it takes long time to read discs now and especially spouts an unsupported message at verbatim brand cd-r discs even though cdrw playback is very supported,  when booted cold. When switched on for say 15 mins it seems to work fine but was always slow reading. my 28 year old technics next to it reads the same discs at warp speed and was designed before cdrw existed. The room it is in is very clean but on the cold side but obviously not excessively cold or the same as outside temps. I had a similar issue with a Marantz UK CD6006 I bought clearance from the same date and order. It spouted the unsupported message on it's display and was sent back to ye the same week. I remember the boxes when they arrived by courier were in bits and perhaps kicked around but never complained as the unit itself appeared perfect visually. I just write to ask your thoughts and perhaps think is worth sending up for a look at. I last wrote here asking about the ROTEL CD11 Tribute and it's ability to play CDR, can't find any concrete info on that, even emailed Rotel but they couldn't bother to reply, can you guys check? please give me an offer I couldn't refuse along with a 1M Chord interconnect for the Rotel and lead.

regards,
    Thomas.
    Hi Parasomina.

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having.

You should have reported any damage to the box at the time of delivery and we could have sorted it then for you but a year later I can only offer to get it sent for repair as Denon products come with a 2 year warranty.

On the Rotel CD11. I don;t have one on display at the Belfast store that I can test for CDR playback.
    I can try and email Rotel also but if they have not replied to you I don't hold much hope of getting a reply. They probably have a lot of staff still on furlow.

I'll drop then one and see what happens.

I could offer the Rotel CD11 for £370 and the Chord C-Line 1m for £35.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭parasomnia

Hey guys,

regards,
    Thomas.
    Hi Parasomina.

You should have reported any damage to the box at the time of delivery and we could have sorted it then for you but a year later I can only offer to get it sent for repair as Denon products come with a 2 year warranty.

On the Rotel CD11. I don;t have one on display at the Belfast store that I can test for CDR playback.
    I can try and email Rotel also but if they have not replied to you I don't hold much hope of getting a reply. They probably have a lot of staff still on furlow.

Thank you for your reply,

Yes I would appreciate if you could find out either from Rotel or from a supplier about the cd11 tribute CDR playback. I suspect it will but you never know.

So, what is the process of getting my Denon packed up and sent for repair?

Thomas.

Hey guys,

regards,
    Thomas.
    Hi Parasomina.

Thank you for your reply,

Yes I would appreciate if you could find out either from Rotel or from a supplier about the cd11 tribute CDR playback. I suspect it will but you never know.

So, what is the process of getting my Denon packed up and sent for repair?

Thomas.
    Hey Parasomina.

If you just package up the Denon and return it to us at the Belfast store we will send it off for repair and then return in back to you and free of charge.
    Make sure it is well packaged to avoid any damage in transit.

If also just noticed that we do have a Rotel CD11 at the Belfast store. I will crack it open tomorrow and try a few CDR's in it and come back with my findings.

Great, thank you.

Thomas.

Great, thank you.

Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

I had the Rotel hooked up and ready to test but realised we had no CDR disks here at the store with music on them.

I will bring a few from home for the morning and give them a play first thing

• Advertisement

Great, thank you.

Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

I had the Rotel hooked up and ready to test but realised we had no CDR disks here at the store with music on them.

Hello, I look forward to your results.

UPDATE, I have done some research ref 800NE disc reading speed and came across this youtube video (link below) where a guy is demonstrating it and discussing it's slow read speed, please take a look. You can see yourself the longish delay waiting for a CD to load. My issue is very similiar, especially when using it cold booted/turned on. It appears when heated up 10 mins or so it will read a bit quicker. For a new player it is the most finicky for CDR playback. I insist and only use azo Verbatim and have for 15+ years and they work flawlessy on every one of my 'Ancient' players, The CD52 for example. I burn CDR max 16X.

Do you guys have an 800NE at hand to test? I have noticed myself recent Marantz CD5000+ CD6006+UK had slow read times too, they're all coming from the same factory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfkx32PwFrE&lc=UgzCESJEu5exDeRZsVh4AaABAg.9GjS8nap_v19GjhoX_27a9

regards,
    Thomas.

Great, thank you.

Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

UPDATE, I have done some research ref 800NE disc reading speed and came across this youtube video (link below) where a guy is demonstrating it and discussing it's slow read speed, please take a look. You can see yourself the longish delay waiting for a CD to load. My issue is very similiar, especially when using it cold booted/turned on. It appears when heated up 10 mins or so it will read a bit quicker. For a new player it is the most finicky for CDR playback. I insist and only use azo Verbatim and have for 15+ years and they work flawlessy on every one of my 'Ancient' players, The CD52 for example. I burn CDR max 16X.

Do you guys have an 800NE at hand to test? I have noticed myself recent Marantz CD5000+ CD6006+UK had slow read times too, they're all coming from the same factory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfkx32PwFrE&lc=UgzCESJEu5exDeRZsVh4AaABAg.9GjS8nap_v19GjhoX_27a9

regards,
    Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

I would not have a DCD800NE that I could try out here at the store unfortunately.

CD loading speed is not something I've noticed to be honest.
    I checked our CD6006 and CD6007 and they load around the same sort of speed.

Back to the CD11. It will play CDR disks :)

Great, thank you.

Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

regards,
    Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

I would not have a DCD800NE that I could try out here at the store unfortunately.

Thanks Kenny for your time + effort, I will so pick up the CD11T but will wait till after Xmas, deal with my Denon first.

Thomas.

Great, thank you.

Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

regards,
    Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

Thanks Kenny for your time + effort, I will so pick up the CD11T but will wait till after Xmas, deal with my Denon first.

Thomas.
    No problem at all Thomas.

If you do happy anymore questions please don't hesitate to drop me a post.

When your ready for the Rotel let us know :)

Great, thank you.

Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

regards,
    Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

Thomas.

Thanks Kenny,

I was passing Savins in Limerick and they had silver model 600NE, Marantz 6006 and 6007 on display, the Denons's even had Demo CD-R in them. Well, upon explaining my issues with said player I asked kindly could I test the display models. The Denon's all performed slowly on reading from fresh boot and had noticeable audible disc reading and spinning when trying to start playback, just like mine. (Only on insertion of a disc, no noise while playing, but the noise sounds like a lens really struggling...:) In my case you need to power off and on - on some CD's as you will get 'Unsupported' on the display. The reboot can fix this. See youtube link above for an DCD800NE that obviously is taking long time to start playback.

I brought to the attention of the very nice and helpful person on duty, who agreed. Also not mentioned in my post here, I remembered and noticed a 'hum' a slight static/magnet affect when you place a bended finger near the right side of both Denon models where the function buttons are, I noticed this myself with my own 800NE at the start and even replaced the surge protector and this still was present. The Savins person noticed it too, Try it yourself on other Denon models if at hand.

I am happy generally with the DCD800NE it is just the hoops it wants you to jump through before listening time that can be annoying, I think this problem may be inherit to the range or certain batches. I have owned and still do a 1998 Denon and it works flawlessly on reading any disc, burned or otherwise.

I am still thinking is it worth it to send it back? I only looked at the 6007 and this worked fine, in the past I had issues with a UK 6006 too which actually was part of my Denon order too. Savins had no Rotel CD11 tribute at hand for me to Demo (with CD-r in hand :) )

Thomas.

• Advertisement

Great, thank you.

Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

regards,
    Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

Thomas.

Thanks Kenny,

I was passing Savins in Limerick and they had silver model 600NE, Marantz 6006 and 6007 on display, the Denons's even had Demo CD-R in them. Well, upon explaining my issues with said player I asked kindly could I test the display models. The Denon's all performed slowly on reading from fresh boot and had noticeable audible disc reading and spinning when trying to start playback, just like mine. (Only on insertion of a disc, no noise while playing, but the noise sounds like a lens really struggling...:) In my case you need to power off and on - on some CD's as you will get 'Unsupported' on the display. The reboot can fix this. See youtube link above for an DCD800NE that obviously is taking long time to start playback.

I brought to the attention of the very nice and helpful person on duty, who agreed. Also not mentioned in my post here, I remembered and noticed a 'hum' a slight static/magnet affect when you place a bended finger near the right side of both Denon models where the function buttons are, I noticed this myself with my own 800NE at the start and even replaced the surge protector and this still was present. The Savins person noticed it too, Try it yourself on other Denon models if at hand.

I am happy generally with the DCD800NE it is just the hoops it wants you to jump through before listening time that can be annoying, I think this problem may be inherit to the range or certain batches. I have owned and still do a 1998 Denon and it works flawlessly on reading any disc, burned or otherwise.

I am still thinking is it worth it to send it back? I only looked at the 6007 and this worked fine, in the past I had issues with a UK 6006 too which actually was part of my Denon order too. Savins had no Rotel CD11 tribute at hand for me to Demo (with CD-r in hand :) )

Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

If you DCD8000 is within the first two years you can package it back up and return it to us and we can send it off to Denon for evaluation.

If you drop me your full name and address then I can locate the sale on our system.

Great, thank you.

Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

regards,
    Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

Thomas.

Thanks Kenny,

Thomas.
    Hi Thomas.

If you DCD8000 is within the first two years you can package it back up and return it to us and we can send it off to Denon for evaluation.

If you drop me your full name and address then I can locate the sale on our system.
    Hi,

I have the Denon 800ne packaged up and will send it to your Belfast store first thing after XMAS.
    I noticed it has 2 pin euro plug (not that is a problem as I have other 2 pin gear and suitable adapaters)

Order Number

Regards
    Thomas

full name in your visitor message box.
    Do you guys still do catalogues? link here not working for me.
    https://www.richersounds.com/static/rs.catalogue.pdf

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Thomas,

we will await the return of your unit and check it out for you - don't forget to pop you name / address / issue inside the box!

On the catalogue - unfortunately since Covid the H&S police in HQ have decided not to produce it as it is distributed via the stores and it's hugely expensive to produce and print and as so many of our stores have been closed on/off due to lockdowns.

We are just about to get our 1st copies of the 'high end' brochure which look great tho' - we will post those out after Christmas to any Boardies who are interested while stock last..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hello staff,

My Denon DCD800NE Black is going bad at disc playback, No skipping just dreadful loading times, excessive noises and very often no playback (especially my verbatim CDR) which work on all my other players. my order is 124024, can you please locate it on your system?. The Denon came with a non UK plug (2 pin type) would this be a problem? I want to send the unit back to ye so you can send it to Denon or your repair people. I didn't realize it would cost so much to send it to Belfast (DPD). The unit should be covered as it is less than 2 years old.

Is the Rotel offer still good? the CD11 T + rca chord cable delivered to Limerick.

Thank you,
    Thomas.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hello staff,

My Denon DCD800NE Black is going bad at disc playback, No skipping just dreadful loading times, excessive noises and very often no playback (especially my verbatim CDR) which work on all my other players. my order is 124024, can you please locate it on your system?. The Denon came with a non UK plug (2 pin type) would this be a problem? I want to send the unit back to ye so you can send it to Denon or your repair people. I didn't realize it would cost so much to send it to Belfast (DPD). The unit should be covered as it is less than 2 years old.

Is the Rotel offer still good? the CD11 T + rca chord cable delivered to Limerick.

Thank you,
    Thomas.
    Hi Thomas,

Your CD player is still covered by the warranty and we can get that looked at for you. I don't think it would be the plug but we can certainly have it assessed and repaired if you send it back to the store. We will ship it back to you free of charge!

We can also still offer that deal on the Rotel if you're still interested!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Hi David, thx for your reply.

I wll ship my Denon out to your store on Monday 22nd and I will include some info about what I find wrong with it.

As for the Rotel CD 11 Tribute and rca cable, Sterling is very high against the Euro at the moment otherwise I'd get it today, give me a week or so to mull it over!

kind regards,
    Thomas.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi David, thx for your reply.

I wll ship my Denon out to your store on Monday 22nd and I will include some info about what I find wrong with it.

As for the Rotel CD 11 Tribute and rca cable, Sterling is very high against the Euro at the moment otherwise I'd get it today, give me a week or so to mull it over!

kind regards,
    Thomas.
    Hi parasomnia,

No problem, I'll keep an eye out for that arriving back.

And no problem on the Rotel, I'll keep that price for you for a week or two!

Kind regards

David

https://i.ibb.co/qDCh5S2/denon.jpg

Order History

Dear Staff, Due to Covid problems, a personal loss and some other issues, I was unable to send on my Denon 800NE CD player. There are literally just days left in it's original warranty. My original order I think was hexed as the Marantz UK 6006 practically couldn't play a disc and needed top be sent back. The Denon 800NE has some serious issues and I should have posted it back for a look much sooner. Right now the player will spit out the tray when you press eject and sometimes no disc will come out, just the other night after many moons of non use, I loaded up a promo CD (Verbatim brand) and the disc remained inside jammed, I inserted another quickly but this just knocked it outside if the CD Mechanism, never seen or heard this before,I unscrewed top cover and took a photo and removed the white CD.

It still has intermittent reading of CDR mostly, it makes Noises then if you eject and close tray again, the lens seems to be back in correct position and reads the disc normally. Very slow reading of CD's in general though..

Anyway, I ask kindly if I can still this week return said Denon and have warranty extended a few days to cover repair? Or am I stuck with this lemon? You would by looking at it's like new condition that the player is well looked after.

Kind Regards,

Thomas.

Hi Thomas.

Very sorry to hear of your loss.

I have checked and your unit was purchased 25.11.19 so the unit is still within the standard 2 year warranty that Denon offer.

If you want to return it to us we can still get it sent off for repair.

Thank you Kenny,

I have it packed in it's original box including a note with the problems (All are CD read/Tray issues as described in this thread). Hopefully you will receive it soon to your Belfast store.

Best wishes,

Thomas.

• Advertisement

Cheers Thomas.

I will keep my eye out for it arriving and have it sent for repair straight away.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.