Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just goes to show the more wind/solar that is added to a grid, the more fossil back up is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If wind energy is so cheap, why is a quarter of UK household power bills made up of green levies?

The UK is set to see increased power costs because of a fire shutting down an interconnector to France and the wind hasn't been blowing enough for months. The truth is the cheap electricity comes from French nuclear reactors. An interconnector gets taken out and prices rocket. Germany shut down it's nuclear power plants, built out lots of renewables and the result is household power bills doubled in a couple of years and.

God help the Uk and Germany if more people start buying EV's. At this rate, the governments will be offering consumers subsidies to encourage them to buy petrol vehicles.

I love a good Irony. Bloomberg is reporting on the power crisis in Europe caused by the renewable energy debacle:

"Europe’s energy crisis is spreading to the fertilizer and meat industries, risking tighter food supplies and even higher prices..."

And the problem for the food industry is they are facing shortages of CO2.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-17/europe-s-energy-woes-hit-fertilizers-in-another-threat-to-food?srnd=premium-europe

Delicious.

What Europe and Ireland need is more zero carbon reliable nuclear energy. China will this month start testing their thorium reactor. https://www.france24.com/en/asia-pacific/20210912-why-china-is-developing-a-game-changing-thorium-fuelled-nuclear-reactor

What Europe and Ireland need is more zero carbon reliable nuclear energy.

We will have quadrupled the production of wind and solar, installed grid scale batteries and have green hydrogen up and running before a site would be chosen for a nuclear plant on the island of Ireland never mind breaking ground or one actually producing power

You may not like it, but nuclear will never be built here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"And the problem for the food industry is they are facing shortages of CO2."

That seems like a great opportunity for the Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) industry, one of the options to support Wind power.

Though having said that, while I'm far from a vegetarian, meat production is one of the leading causes of greenhouse gas emissions, so perhaps no harm if we cut back slightly on our meat production and consumption.

I note the article points to a big reduction in ammonia production due to high natural gas prices. Using excess wind power to produce green ammonia is a great way to suck up excess wind power and will play a very important part in de-carbonising the agriculture industry. e.g.:

https://www.windpowermonthly.com/article/1724859/nordic-developers-plan-onshore-wind-to-green-ammonia-project

I think that just about sums up your understanding of how a grid works🙄

Can you explain how blowing ever more money on wind energy helps on a night like this ie FA wind generation??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Same reason money is spent on installing solar panels that produce nothing at night.

Investment in peaking plant means fossil fuel usage is lower when renewables are harvesting free energy.

Old base load plant means using fossil fuel 24/7 x 365 and with a lower thermal efficiency. And since we are down to 25-30% synchronous sources including Turlough Hill, guaranteed base load demand is only a fraction of what it used to be.

It's those cheap 10 year lifespan grid battteries and more nuclear power from France. All of Europe's renewables energy problems are solvable with a wave of the french power wizards nuclear wand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The CCS industry is just a spinoff for the fossil fuel giants it is a load of bolix and it always will be, unless it involves actually growing something like trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Theres these things called grid interconnections and of course battery storage on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 10,348 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

We need to get to a point where we are generating over 100% of grid needs via renewables (wind and solar), but storing a % of this in the form of battery and green hydrogen for when the wind stops blowing.

that’s the ultimate goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im still not convinced this is truly possible, i think nuclear is needed to support all of this

Nuclear WILL be needed during the transition to this.

The nuclear will be via the interconnectors though.

Which hasn't worked anywhere - 2nite the BBC are reporting that the UK grid operator and their Department of Energy are holding emergency talks over escalating energy prices and the growing risk of blackouts in the months ahead. So much for all the lies spun in the last few years about the vast number of both onshore and offshore wind development providing cheap and reliable energy....

Grid scale battery storage is a pipe dream - one of the worlds biggest planned for New York at huge cost can only store 30 mins worth of peak demand assuming it ever sees the light of day. The only interconnectors of any use or reliability are ones based on fossil or nuclear power. This has been proven time and time again across Europe

• Advertisement

Grant aided solar panels that decline in output within a few years is hardly a ringing endorsement for your argument, - hard to take seriously your cost argument either given the table of EU energy costs I posted earlier in the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Actually this has been caused by surging natural gas prices - currently over 50% of electricity in UK is generated by this. Here is the reality

"In the UK, the gas price increase has led to record electricity market prices too, because the UK relies on gas-fired power plants to generate almost half its electricity. Low wind speeds have reduced the UK’s renewable energy generation, and a string of problems at UK power plants and a major cable connecting the UK to France have forced market prices higher."

And the long term solution

"The government is understood to be open to considering short-term measures to help companies and households weather the looming winter energy crisis, but could also consider a longer-term shake-up to accelerate the UK’s shift away from fossil fuels and address the “fragility in the energy retail market”.

“There’s nothing about this situation that wouldn’t be better if we were less reliant on gas,” the source said."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭gjim

Sorry but you're talking nonsense. Of course it is the average that matters - it's called the "capacity factor" and it represents an AVERAGE of the theoretical capacity (generally measured over the year) and it's one of the most closely watched statistics about electrical generation and it's been measured and watched for decades.

Here's something to get you started - https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=table_6_07_a

Why do you think wind is special in not outputting it's rated capacity (which is what I'm guessing when you use the term "nameplate capacity") at all times? All generation sources are described in terms of their maximum output capacity - including thermal plants. In the EIA report linked above, for example, combined cycle gas plants in the USA were measured to have a capacity factor of 56.6% last year. So generally a 1GW gas plant will provide a little over half the output you'd expect if you were to assume that it is going to output its rated capacity all the time. But that would be a pretty silly assumption, wouldn't it? And it would be silly to dismiss the utility of NG plants on this basis, no? But that's exactly the criticism you're levelling at wind generation.

Regarding new build generation capacity globally, it was about 85% actually last year. Normally if I have a strong opinion about something, but all the people with skin in the game - i.e. governments globally (from every part of the political spectrum), private investors, existing energy companies, etc are all voting with their feet, it makes me curious that I might have gotten something wrong. Do you never get that feeling? That maybe you're not actually seeing the big picture here?

I'll read any report by informed observers, you feel free to provide a link to this engineers report.

Some logic that ie. build more useless windfarms that will be require the same amount of conventional power back up🙄

I suggest you read the front of yesterdays Sunday Business Post. Greenwash energy policies are now threatening investment into the country as the Irish Grid has become increasingly stressed and unreliable with the number of amber alerts surging in the last few years as more wind farms are connected to the grid. Same situation in the UK, Germany etc.

PS: Gas plants that have to be ramped up and down in response to wind are obviously not going to reach full potential or efficiency. Another issue with wind power that u seem to be wholly ignorant of

Sounds like we should start expanding our wind farms faster and in greater qty.

Capacity factor has become as meaningless as GDP as a metric for Ireland. We need an availability/reliability factor. Nuclear and gas plants might be quoted as haveing far lower capacity factors than their availabilty/reliability, simply because operators wind back their output due to lower demand. Wind and solar are hugely unreliable, whereas nuclear is very reliable, but the disparity between the two is blurred when quoting capacity factors.

Interesting claim on another thread that it looks like Galway is likely out of consideration for a new Intel chip fab due to concerns over Irelands electricity grid. I'm sure more wind turbines can fix that.

Interesting claim on another thread that it looks like Galway is likely out of consideration for a new Intel chip fab due to concerns over Irelands electricity grid.

Haha, honestly thought it would be @Birdnuts who was going to take the bait on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭gjim

Like I said, I'll read anything - if the source is informed - if you'll provide links. Like that engineers report you mentioned earlier but wouldn't/didn't provide a link to? I generally provide links to my sources - if you did the same your arguments might find better purchase.

For grid stability, you couldn't be more wrong - particularly with regards to Germany. Germany has the most reliable grid in the EU (followed closely by Denmark - which is heavily dependent on wind) and one of the most reliable in the world. You can read about it here - https://www.cleanenergywire.org/factsheets/germanys-electricity-grid-stable-amid-energy-transition - and the reliability has improved since the deployment of more wind. In 2006 (when they started measuring), average outage per customer per year was 21.5 minutes, while in 2019 (the last year with official numbers) it was 12 minutes. During that time the amount of wind generation tripled.

Regarding gas plants, if you read the EIA link I provided in the post you're responding to, you'd see immediately that your claim (that wind generation is reducing the capacity factors for gas plants) is bunk. The average capacity factor for an American CCGT plant was 44.3% back in 2011 when there was a fraction of the wind or solar generation - considerably less than the 56.6% in 2020. If there was any kind of causal relationship, the shift would be in the other direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So the high price of gas is the fault of the wind industry ?

And the lack of power stations on the Irish grid due to 2 of the newer larger stations going off line is also the fault of the wind industry ?

Whos getting the blame for the fire in the substation in the uk that took the intercomnector offline ? ( I think they have some other problem as well but can't remember exactly ) as well as having huge amounts of gas generation on their grid -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement