Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Suggests whoever took them had working knowledge of the possessions of the house or they were taken with the investigation and hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I'd say the killer quite possibly went through her house in great detail, taking and removing anything pointing to the motive of the murder. Thus the police didn't find anything.

Nice theory but the entire house was fingerprinted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

Where was Shirley going and why would she have wanted to leave the house after the shock of discovering a murder victim near her house that morning. I would imagine if I had just found a body I would be pretty shook up and would want to stay at home. I find it odd that she was allowed to pass through the murder scene by the gardai so soon after the murder - the scene should have been sealed off. Surely gardai would have wanted to speak to Alfie and Shirley about Sophie that day - which should'nt have been a quick chat ( which if she was out and about by lunchtime - it was a very quick chat ). Very odd that Shirley discovered the body of her neighbour and then seemed to go about her normal day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

There is probably an easy explanation for that, like getting basic food supplies, possibly for Christmas. The thing is, the houses are so remote, one needs a car to do basic shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

You are probably right - she was going out to do what she originally meant to do that morning. After finding a body though I dont think I would have been able to drive let alone do the last minute christmas bits - I would be in shock - I think most people would. She could have asked friends to get what she needed and drop it with the gardai at the end of the lane - Im sure they would have obliged. I do find it odd though that she was allowed pass through the scene so soon after the murder. Also at that stage Shirley and Alfie should have been regarded as suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Shirley was on her way out to do some last minute shopping when she found the body, so the car was already in the middle of the crime scene .

Sometime after 2 pm ,rightly or wrongly, she was allowed to carry on with her mission driving her car into town.

She met Bailey driving Jule's car in the cul-de-sac on his way to the scene and told him there was a garda roadblock ahead.

He said he was going to the scene as a reporter about his business .

The "lunchtime" in Bamboozle's link was either lazy journalism, or meant to create the impression Bailey was at the scene earlier than 2:30.

The idea that 2 cars could not pass each other in the cul-de-sac or that Shirley was walking is just nonsense.

Bailey's version of the meeting is at odds with Shirley's.

He said he was on his way to Toormore post office and met Shirley on the road before the turn into the cul-de-sac (quite a detour for him)

and asked her if she knew what was going on.

Whether Shirley was allowed to drive back through the scene ,I don't know.

If you've got access to the crime scene photos, you will see the mess it was in while the body was still uncovered by the gate.

tyre marks all over the place and a white estate car backing right up to the gate near the prone body.

The management of the crime scene was atrocious .

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

This is one newspaper version ;

"Shirley Foster - the woman who found Sophie's body - remained adamant she met Ian Bailey that lunchtime as he drove up her laneway at speed.

She denied meeting Mr Bailey on the open road - as he claimed - and said he seemed in a hurry as he drove up the lane which had only three houses, including Ms du Plantier's.

Do you know the 'laneway'/boreen? She is adamant it is her laneway which is off the Dunmanus Castle - Kealfadda Bridge road/boreen. Whichever one it is, two cars have to slow to 5mph to pass. So this at speed thing gives the idea that he went past at 50mph.

Now of course Shirley would have a crystal clear recollection in spite of what she'd seen that morning since she and Alfie had had a great night's sleep, undisturbed, windows closed from 10 pm to 9am and no need for the Gardai to bring them in for questioning to ask them what they had been doing the previous day or since they were on such good terms with Sophie (regularly introducing her to their friends) whether they had seen her in the last few days, asked her in for a cuppa and a catch up.

Leo Bolger witnessed Alfie introducing Sophie to Ian, he said they spoke for a 'few minutes' ,which Alfie was only 80-90% sure of. But surely you'd remember something, Ian is a bit of talker and in those days may have been handsome. Wouldn't he have practised a bit of french or recited a bit of poetry or did they stand around in silence looking at each other for a few minutes. Why didn't Garda Fitzgerald bang his fist on the table with Alfie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

This is very interesting information, another in a long list of missing or destroyed evidence from the gards on this case. Three diaries would have been vital information on what her thoughts were in the build up to her murder, who she was speaking to, if she was complaining about something or in dispute with someone?? Absolutely key information.

I highly doubt the killer went through her house in great detail afterwards to look for these & not only managed to find them but didnt leave a single piece of DNA evidence or blood after him either where he must have been covered in blood. Highly improbable, they had to be taken by the gards if what the french report says is true. And I think it is, because she seems like the type that would keep a diary, creative, artistic, documentary maker, big into her reading and writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Do you know the 'laneway'/boreen? "

The one I called the cul-de-sac 3 times in my post?

"So this at speed thing gives the idea that he went past at 50mph."

No, just too fast for that particular lane.

"Lunchtime" and "at speed" are open to interpretation .

I have no idea of Shirley's state of mind that afternoon, no more than yourself.

I have no idea what that last paragraph has to do with it.

"A critical feature of the case is the manner in which it was investigated by the Garda. The Director of Public Prosecutions subsequently described that investigation as “thoroughly flawed and prejudiced” against Bailey. The DPP decided not to prosecute as there was insufficient credible evidence to warrant prosecution. Instead of facing up to the consequences of the Garda failures, the Government has allowed the prosecution of this murder to be shipped offshore to France."

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭DivilsAdvocate

Its more the fact that surely someone discovering a body in such gruesome circumstances would be absolutely traumatised by what she seen and in a state of pure shock.

Add that to the fact that to the best of her knowledge theres a murderer on the loose who just brutally killed your female neighbour mere hours ago. I'm not 100% sure but I she might have said she was on her own too when she encountered Bailey in his car.

Yah, its bizarre, the last thing on anyones mind I'm sure if they saw their neighbours face mutilated would be going & getting the shopping. Maybe she just needed to get away for a while but still, strange & she must have had to pass the body again after nearly being traumatized by it previously.

I never really believed Alfie or Shirley had anything to do with it but definitely they should have been looked at more closely.

• Bandage on Alfies hand
    • Growing drugs on his land
    • Dispute over gate and access to the property
    • Making reference to Sophie as someone who complains about everything and is a pain in the ass
    • Hearing absolutely zero noise on the night of the murder, I know it was mid winter but still, Sophie must have been screaming her head off.
    • Why Sophie didnt run to Alfies house instead of the gate, surely the logical thing you would do in a situation like this would be to run for your neighbours
    • Saying he was 90% sure he introduced Bailey to Sophie, 90% is such a strange thing to say & thus implicating Bailey in the crime without a 100% committing to it.

There was nearly as much grounds for bringing Alfie in as there was Bailey imo, not saying he did it, but with some robust questioning like they did with Jules & Bailey, they may have got more information out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

This is an issue which has given me a great deal of "pause for thought"

Bannasidhe, who is/was personally acquainted with both Alfie and Shirley and whose posts are well balanced, unbiased, and, to me, have the ring of truth about them, does not entertain the idea that either could have been involved. I'm inclined to accept that.

However, what is interesting, is the comparison of respective evidence you draw.

On the face of it, there is more evidence to implicate Alfie/Shirley than there ever was to point the finger at Bailey.

Yet I can find no report of either/both being under any serious suspicion.

No evidence of any association between Bailey and Sophie, but AL/SF obviously knew her.

No evidence of Bailey at the scene, whereas Alfie/Shirley were both there.

No apparent motive for Bailey, while AL/SF had ongoing issues with Sophie.

A seemingly damning issue of Bailey's hands being scratched. But Alfie actually had a bandage on one hand. Bailey claimed that he got the scratches from cutting a tree...an act which was witnessed, whilst Alfie blamed his injury on a dog bite. Although they didn't actually have a dog.

And one last point which I find hard to accept, is that neither Alfie nor Shirley heard or saw anything.

I am of the opinion that none of the three were actually involved, but of the two theories, the key points are more indicative of AL/SF involvement than that of IB.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭DivilsAdvocate

Do you know where the source of info came from that Alfie Lyons had bandages on his hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭saabsaab

According to a newspaper report an (unnamed) neighbour says they heard a screaming that night but put it down to foxes.

The missing diaries is a very interesting piece of information if true. I remember Jim Sheridan speculating that the blood on the door (Sophie's) indicated that the killer entered the house after the murder. If it was to remove 3 diaries then that is a very specific target to be searching for. In my opinion it does not support the theory of a lust crazed killer going berserk after a rejection. it indicates a far more methodical state of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,422 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I wonder did they find any fingerprints? Or was it clean and no (almost none except her own) were found. If a clean up was done it shows no great hurry.

Post edited by saabsaab on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,422 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's interesting as it reminded me of the below section #5 Premonition from the DPP report which mentioned barking dogs but not foxes ... but that reference could be something more, pinpointing the time of the attack? A scream could be mistaken for foxes but not a bark. Although google tells me that December for foxes is when "nocturnal vocalisation reaches its peak" so possibly the foxes set off the dogs.

However the following six statements, five of which were not submitted with the original Garda file, indicate the following:-

1. David Bray at 12.45 a.m. on 23 December 1996 noted that the wolfhound which he minds was unusually upset.

2. Martin Breuinger confirms that the wolfhound was unusually disturbed between 12 midnight and 2.00 a.m. on 23 December 1996.

3. Geraldine Kennedy states that her dog was barking mad from 10.30 – 10.45 p.m. on 22 December and continued this for about three hours practically non-stop.

4. The dog owned by Derry Kennedy and his wife was unusually upset between 10 p.m. on 22 December 1996 and 1.50 a.m. on 23 December 1996.

5. Michael Gallagher refers to strange people being in the area on 23 December 1996.

6. Sheila Barnett noted an unusual man in the area earlier on 23 December1996.

This evidence suggests that there could well have been unusual movement in the area where Sophie was killed in the early hours of the morning. Bailey and Jules were drinking in a pub in Schull at the time the dogs initially became upset. Later, Bailey was with Jules Thomas overlooking the scene from a distance and he says he got a bad feeling. This was during the time the dogs were unusually alarmed. Such a sense of foreboding is not considered incriminating. Bailey may have sensed the activity below him which also alarmed the dogs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I believe that is the killers knuckle blood print on the door, I think he opened it after the murder, went inside briefly to see if anyone else was there & then left, not to go searching for her diaries, there is no way he would wouldn't have left substantial DNA evidence if he did go searching. Whoever committed this crime was reasonably forensically aware.

The attack itself was savage initially but in the aftermath they acted like they knew what they were doing in making sure they didn't leave a trace of themselves. Again this would point to a senior gard in the locality. And would explain the destroying of the diaries by the gards subsequently and the refusal to mention them.

It wouldnt point to a sex crazed drunken Bailey roaming around the countryside at night looking for his first murder victim before calmly washing himself off down by the bridge before making a substantial walk home and then making coffee for his partner in bed in the morning before reporting on the crime. Dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭BarneyJ

Agreed. Just like going to a pharmacy to buy condoms. You can't go in there and put a packet of condoms on the counter on their own. You have to buy a whole heap of other products (vitamins, toothpastes, dental floss, deodorants, etc) to deflect from the real purpose of the trip to the pharmacy. These trips cost me a fortune!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

They could have done more in my opinion. Sophies blood could very well be the only blood left on the gate but how about gathering fingerprints off of it. Who's fingerprints were the most recent on there. What fingerprints are on there since it last rained etc. That alone could mark out a time period in which all fingerprints could have been placed on it. Were there boot marks on the rungs where the gate was scaled rather than opened. That would indicate the gate was closed and she was home at the time as Alfie likes the gate opened.

They also claim that the house didn't yield any forensic evidence but we already know there was someone using her bath. And of course the housekeeper would have cleaned the bath afterwards but she hardly would have got rid of all skin-cells and hairs that may have been shed when the person was drying themselves off. And yet we are told nothing was found. Did the person not touch a wall, a windowsil, the glass pane of the window, the toilet seat, the handle of the flush, the cistern, the sink taps etc. I just don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Well, apparently, they are no longer together and living apart but I suspect this may be untrue. Some women may become completely subservient to and dominated by an abusive male partner. Maybe it's a mutually convenient relationship now given both are no longer young and attractive and seem to have addiction issues.

You need to do that still, maybe in the 90's, I think Ireland has moved on a little bit since then.

Regarding Bailey, he achieved a masters in law, and was a good journalist before this, ie, hes not stupid, hes not going to buy bleach in the days after the attack in a local shop, hes not going to have a big bonfire outside his house when he can easily dispose of the items in other ways and else where & hes not seriously going to admit to killing Sophie if he did do it to a bunch of randomers he barely knows while also showing his scratched hands locally to people in the days after the attack.

The above are about the most stupid things you could do if you ACTUALLY committed the crime. And even though he might be a pain in the ass, he's not stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The taking of fingerprints would be classed as gathering forensic evidence. Nothing was found on the gate. It was as simple as that. So, what were they supposed to do with it? Keep it for an indefinite period? It was a large bulky item occupying too much of a confined space. I don't know why such significance is being attached to the "missing" gate.

This is an excerpt from John Montague's article in the Guardian (link above) ;

We learned from our former housekeeper that Bailey and Jules had broken up. Then he wrote us a different kind of letter, still grandiloquent, but painfully vulnerable as well: ‘Dear John, A chara’ - Gaelic for ‘friend’ - ‘It is under very sad and tragic circumstances I write to you and it is difficult to know where to start. On 2 May, Jules and myself were coming back from a party - I was driving and an argument broke out. It ended in a fight - we had both been drinking and were very tired. I unintentional [sic] hurt Jules, and her daughter called the guards... [I]t’s all quite awful - Jules is deeply upset - neither of us in spite of what has happened want to part and I love her stronger than ever... Please don’t think to [sic] badly of me. I never intended to hurt hurt [sic] - it was the drink and I am now resolved to abstinence.’Jules was indeed hurt. She had been taken to Bantry General Hospital and needed reconstructive surgery on her jaw. Jules later told us that Bailey had suffered a blackout that night, caused by the abundance of poteen he’d drunk.She did not press charges against him, although the gardaí told us she could have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wouldn't bet on Bailey not being atractive to women

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement