Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Someone posted the image of seal lioning and then all the conspiracy theorists suddenly jumped on it saying that’s the issue. Not one thought of mentioning it beforehand, so it’s obviously a clutch at straws job to try and make the 2015 charter seem good. However, when challenged no benefits of the 2015 charter over 2019 can be found.

Post edited by Fighting Tao on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,886 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Outline what you want me to answer and I will. Finding stuff in New boards is a pain.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

No man. Go look yourself.

You dodged the point originally. You go back and find them to address them.

I asked you address them repeatedly.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If people are trolling then report them. You're just looking for an excuse to turn it into a safe space.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You want an echo chamber where any wild claims can be posted without being questioned lol.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117915854#Comment_117915854

It's this post.

Nullzero did not address any of the points I raises about why his suggestion might not work in his reply.

Is there anywhere I can view this 2015 charter?

I was on hiatus from Boards at that time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

You want to stifle debate on a discussion forum? Why would you want to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

"Sealioning", love it.

Great to be able to dismiss queries under a specific term to suggest someone is trolling.

Plenty of politician potential in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

No, it just perfectly encapsulates everything that is wrong with the conspiracy forum in a way that everyone can understand. Even you.

Seeing as people think that asking questions is a valid counter-argument. If I ask a politician on the street "Why have you been unfaithful to your wife?" and he refuses to answer. Does that mean he is a cheater and should step down?

(You don't even need to answer, it just proves my point illustrating the strength of the argument used repeatedly by those who hate conspiracy theories)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

But the charter doesn't mention Sea-Lioning (assuming the screenshot I've posted below is the version you're referring to). It mentions demanding proof, it says nothing about requesting evidence, or asking questions for clarification. In fact, the charter goes on to outline the kind of debate that is acceptable:

However, to arrive at a place where DH4 - DH6 can be used, questions may need to be asked, or the OP may be requested for background of how the conclusion was arrived at in order that a counter-argument may be formulated. None of this is prohibited by the 2015 Charter as far as I can see. In fact, I think I could live with it if it was made clear that the first paragraph below refers to demands "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" and not requests for evidence. A forum isn't a court of law, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No because that's not the argument

Now if I said your wife were cheating on you wouldn't you ask for evidence or would you just accept my claim as true?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,608 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No we all know "sealioning" is the buzzword you to try and disable discussion.

It didnt work last time you tried it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,608 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If the previous charter did allow an unchallenged echo chamber I can see why it had to be "gutted"

I do need to answer. Asking someone to explain what the confusing and convoluted block they posted means is not wrong. Asking questions is not a counter argument and no one but conspiracy theorists claim it is. It’s trying to get information relevant to make sense and see if there is really any truth in what the truthers say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,886 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Is this the post you wanted me to go and find to reply to?

I have already stated that I don't believe all the conspiracy theorists are looking changes to the charter for the right reasons. I put the onus on both the skeptics and their counterparts to reach a comprise.

It would be helpful if you could clarify if this is the point you wanted me to address or not.

There's no need to be so snarky, we are after all attempting to improve a forum here. Some compromise would go down quite nicely.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

This very page of posts we're on is dedicated to finding a post of questions one particular poster made a few pages back in the thread. If you can't even keep track of your own posts they why do you expect anyone else to?

This is the whole problem with the conspiracy forum, it's been turned into the fkn document control section of the civil service. It's like watching a bunch of doc clerks scrambling around looking for a photocopy of someone's birth cert so they can apply for a passport.

I'm outta here, so long!

I have no idea why you quoted me there. Even the first paragraph that appears to be directed at me before a random rant doesn’t make sense as a reply to what I said. Did you mean to quote me? If so, can you please let me know what you are on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

And after all the talk of the 2015 charter, it doesn't even mention Sealioning, or even asking questions at all, never mind repeated, persistent and unnecessary questions, which seems to me to be what the term actually means, after looking at definitions from a number of sources. It was interesting to see that link-dumping and video-dumping are prohibited too. I was wondering why the original screenshot from the charter was so small and selective...

That's the thing though, it's a rule in search of a problem. No one demands proof beyond a reasonable doubt. No one did and no one does.

Conspiracy theorists conflate asking for evidence or support with demanding proof. Sometimes it's because they don't understand the difference some times it's just a cynical attempt to avoid actual discussion.likewise it's how asking a handful of questions gets exaggerated into "bombards with 100s of questions."

Most conspiracy theories here are doing this conflating. They aren't just saying they want to ban demands for undenible proof they want to ban people asking for evidence and support.

Not sure if this is a bit or not.

But no, that isn't the point I was asking you to address. Though that one did take 2 or 3 goes for you to answer.

So again to make things very clear:

I am asking you to comment on the issues I pointed out about your suggestion.

Namely I feel your template is too long demands too much off the bat and would be off putting to conspiracy theorists. Do you think this would be the case?

I also believe that the vast majority of conspiracy theories would not actually be able to answer most of the questions in the first place even if their proponents wanted to. Do you think this is the case?

I also point out that this information if lacking in the op could easily be obtained in a natural discussion by asking.

I think the fact you know that this is a problem is not because of the questions or who's asking. It's because conspiracy theorists just don't want to answer those questions.

I also point out that if such a template was enforced that it should be made clear that not all threads would be required to use this format.

And in general I've asked how you guys what would and wouldn't be a valid conspiracy theory. Never got an answer for that.if a conspiracy theory isn't able to answer all of the points in your template does that mean it's an invalid conspiracy? If so does that mean that I can't be posted? Is it just rejected out of hand and the discussion is not allowed to occur? Should it be allowed under the assumption that it is just makey uppy?

Now I know this is a lot of questions and you'll be tempted to just pluck one or two out to answer. Please don't do that. Just answer them all directly the first and there won't be any need to go back and chase you down on them. If you can't answer them or just plain don't want to, please just say that and explain why. Don't just ignore them.

Namely I feel your template is too long demands too much off the bat and would be off putting to conspiracy theorists. Do you think this would be the case?

I also believe that the vast majority of conspiracy theories would not actually be able to answer most of the questions in the first place even if their proponents wanted to. Do you think this is the case?

Theres nothing stopping an CT poster from answering "i dont know right now" to the question

How the conspirators will ultimately benefit from the conspiracy.

or

Outline how the conspirators failed to keep their plans secret (it's up for discussion here after all)

in my opinion, the CT poster would not be rule bound to have an answer to ever bullet point before they can post a CT thread... the template would be there for them to flesh out in so far as possible their theory at that time.

its there so that a fleeting thought isnt posted up as a possible CT, which leads to an easy counter argument anbd the CT un willing to admit its just a thought they have.

If theres a good attempt at trying to answer and flesh out each question in the template, then that good faith should be reciprocated by skeptics then, if the answer is "i dont know right now" should not jump straight away to "aha then thats clear evidence that your point is false"

i still think null zeros template here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117908726#Comment_117908726 is a good starting point, or maybe he / she can concise it down a tad to be more palatable? maybe the last question could be omitted as its essentially doing the discussion already. and maybe questions 3 and 4 could be amalgamated

My issue there though is that if conspiracy theorists are able to just ignore or skip any of the points they don't feel like answering, it makes the template a bit redundant.

Are you thinking that conspiracy theorists have to address and respond to all of the points before they post?

And what do you believe should happen if all the points are just ignored or the answer is just "I don't know" to all of them? Should that post be deleted or should the post be allowed and people shouldn't respond to it or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Who are you talking about here ?

Antifa ? Extinction rebellion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It must be said, you might get further if you didn't have 5/6 questions in every post. Just pick the important one.

They won't be allowed ignore or skip.

If they don't know, they say they don't know, or it isn't apparent yet, or something to that degree.

However they won't be duty bound to have an answer for everything before they post. The whole idea of the template is so that they actually put thought and time into fleshing out their theory before posting.

Obviously if they answer "I don't know" to everything bar the initial "this is what I think" question then the thread can be taken as nothing more than a musing rather than a theory, and treated as such. Hopefully we get buy in from the moderators to police the level of effort put in, and anything that they deem falls short can be closed, with an explanation as to why.

Sound reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The main peroblem is the dump and run tactic. Dump a link to some crap conspiracy waffle and then vanish for days. That needs to be banned. Grow some balls FFS.

• Advertisement

If permitted, I foresee “I don’t know” being used for most of the questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement