Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Lol, I've been calling John Cooney average for as long as he's been in the Ireland discussion, as you well know.

I genuinely couldn't give a flying f**k what he says about Farrell, Sexton, and if he wants to say mean things about my mother, that's OK too.

I 100% believe he has been left out based on his rugby ability and nothing more. And I 100% believe it's the right call.

However, if he's on the outside and trying to make a good impression to get a recall, questioning the coach's integrity is not in his own best interests. His own best interests.

He's a journeyman and if he couldn't kick goals, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Literally every coach he's ever had has preferred the other guy, when the other guy is even halfway competent.

And he absolutely does have a track record of blaming his coach for his own failings. You know it but if you want to pretend he doesn't, I'll play along.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭theVersatile

God this weekend can't come fast enough

There was definitely a point in time where Cooney was playing better than any scrum half in Ireland albeit that is somewhat a comment on the lack of depth at the time and not just Cooney's good form. He was producing a lot of highlight reel rugby and getting on with the nuts and bolts of scrum half play so I can fully understand why a lot of people think he should have gotten more of a run in green, I was surprised at his omission at times.

I don't think he did anything spectacular in green and I think it's worth considering that Murray was well enough thought of by the Lions management to be made captain so he obviously adds a lot of value on and off the pitch. Gibson-Park similarly does not seem particularly liked outside of Leinster fans and part of that is likely down to him being a project player - but he has performed better in green in my opinion than Cooney did.

In terms of his comments, I personally wouldn't air my dirty laundry in public about another player on my team (in particular the team captain) or the coach. It's not a major issue, but without the right to reply it's a bit unreasonable to criticise people in that format. I felt the same way about Zebo and Russell when they were publicly critical of coaches and for me it suggests a lack of self awareness and a bit of immaturity. When I read the article by Cooney it didn't change my opinion of Sexton, but it did form part of my reasoning for why Cooney never quite made it in green.

Sexton could be a massive bollox but on the balance of probabilities I suspect given how integral he has been to so many different team environments that there is a side to him that people on here have no insight to. He didn't seem to walk away from Racing with too many friends (O'Gara aside) and he certainly blows up in games but to suggest that he isn't liked by his team mates is speculation that lacks any kind of objectivity in my opinion. I suspect when he retires we'll hear more about the type of player / team mate / captain he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

His criticism of Farrell was in relation to the level of feedback Farrell had given him. How could any of us know if that is a valid criticism? This is why people have a hard time with posts like this. You are offering up an opinion on something that you can’t possibly know anything about. That’s just ridiculous. I simply don’t understand why anyone would do that. Is it to back up a bias or something?

Cooney’s interview from a few months back wasn’t just “not flattering”. Here’s the jist of it:

”When I first started playing with Leinster, I did find it quite difficult the way he kind of spoke to me….it’s not really the type of communication I enjoy as a rugby player. I prefer a positive attitude…..I’m sure through maturity most players, as they get older, realise the way that they can communicate with players. There’s different ways to get the best out of people and it’s probably something I’ve learned through the last couple of years as a rugby player.”

He doesn’t directly say it but how this can’t be read as “Sexton hasn’t got the maturity to manage communications as well as I do” I’m not really sure. And he said this stuff in a Tackle Your Feelings capacity trying to promote positive mental health by knocking someone else. And don’t go giving me the “he was only answering a question” or “at least it isn’t the same old soundbytes” garbage. He has responsibility for what he said. Nobody forced him to say it.

As I said, I don’t doubt there’s a whole lot of truth to what he has said about Sexton. We’ve heard plenty there before. But Cooney seems to be the only one with major issues over it. As for the Farrell stuff, we’ve simply no idea if that’s true or not. We don’t know what conversations were had there.

Maybe for some context though, here’s a snippet about the Pro14 final 12 months ago when Cooney’s form had dipped considerably and he didn’t start that game as a result:

“That hit me harder than the Ireland stuff. After what I’d felt I’d done that year I thought I deserved to play in that final. I did come on but I found it very difficult. After that, when it rains, it pours and I didn’t make the Irish team.”

No acknowledging his dip in form and a sure fire belief that he deserved to start that game despite the dip in form. And then blaming his performance on the fact that he was dropped. Because heaven forbid it was on him. No, it’s all about what he feels he deserves.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

"Cooney seems to be the only one with major issues over it."

Firstly, Cooney doesn't seem to have major issues at all, it was an interview about your feelings. Secondly we have no idea if this is true or not.

As I said already, this is all being massively overblown purely because the comment was about Johnny Sexton. It is a complete non-issue, a trivial comment. He wasn't knocking Sexton. There was no "dirty laundry" being aired.

Substitute Sexton for Zebo or Murray or POM etc and nobody would be saying a word.

The point makes no sense at all. It is well documented from numerous former team mates just what sort of character Sexton is on the pitch. In fact, I am pretty sure a large degree of the frustration here is because Cooney is fairly accurate in his commentary, it is entirely consistent with other tales.

It is like saying "you've never met Simon Zebo, therefore you don't know that he's a real joker".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Cooney was the best 9 in Ireland a couple of years ago! He should have more caps. I think the game plan affected his status within the squad. He doesn't box kick well enough? He probably isn't defensively as good as others.

His opinions are just that! Opinions. It won't make a difference. AF has decided on CasEy and JGP. Murray is still in the mix and retains the 9 jersey. I enjoy reading players comments. Unscripted and honest views are refreshing, compared to the noxious drivel that is usually centered out from players.

Zebo is one lad that doesn't hold back. I don't think it affects his prospects as the coaching ticket would surely pick lads solely on carrying out the game plan?

I would love to hear Sexton's true comments.

Sexton does display his emotions on the field, I would love to hear him mic'd up! Would be great entertainment.

• Advertisement

I don’t care that he said it about Sexton. Plenty of people have spoken about Sexton like that and I haven’t had any issues with them. Sexton himself doesn’t care. And I’m not one for getting offended on someone else’s behalf.

But he did clearly intimate that Sexton didn’t have the maturity that he had in terms of communication. In a campaign about good mental health he put someone down publicly. That has to be counter to the whole point of the thing surely? And saying that very much is airing dirty laundry.

My point is that Cooney seems to be the kind of guy that externalises things. As part of the same campaign Carty was asked about his own frustrations with Ireland selection. He was able to clearly identify and articulate the areas that he needs to work on and develop in order to put himself back in the frame. He was clearly comfortable talking about and owning his own shortcomings. What shortcomings did Cooney acknowledge that he had?

When he wasn’t selected (rightly) for the Pro14 final last year did he acknowledge that his form was the reason for it? Nah, he felt he deserved selection regardless of his form.

Cooney seems to me to be a guy who finds ways and means to make his failings and disappointments about someone else and not about himself. Not because of what he said about Sexton, but because of how he talks about his failings and disappointments generally.

Haven’t all of us here acknowledged that Sexton can be a dick? So how would our frustrations be in any way linked to something we broadly agree with Cooney on? The only ones here being in any way defensive about anyone are those defending Cooney.

Also, the meme was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

Sexton has been a well discussed figure for close to 15 years. It is not news that he is a difficult personality and can be a bit of a tool to people. There are literally dozens of accounts in video and print. You've decided I dislike him for tribal reasons, though you know absolutely nothing about me. Someone here is pulling things out of their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

I wonder will we leave the scutter-ball behind us this season. Sexton really needs to hang up the boots for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

Tough one for a selector though. Sexton looked to be playing very well a couple of weeks ago, if he stays fit and plays the odd game for Leinster it would be a big call to leave him out of a 6N game against France or England, particularly when none of the pretenders are knocking the door down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Sexton has been discussed by people that actually know him? Where are these publicly accessible comments? Being difficult and being a bit of a dick. Does not equate to what you said in your original post. Which was a personal attack on a person you know nothing about outside of what you see on a rugby pitch.

You then try to project on to others, that they are taking it personally. When clearly it’s you who has for whatever reason, taken Sextons on field actions extremely personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That's a bit of a stupid post Fff to call him a journey man. 4 years in a row he makes the pro 14 team of the year and he's nominated for the European player of the year. Hardly a "journey man".

He was on fire in 2018/2019 but couldn't get past Murray, who lets be honest was poor. Remember he had the problem passing off his left at the time. Yet we all had to watch every game with the "he just needs a few more games to get back to form" argument. Thing is after 10 or 12 games you have to eventually say "this isn't working right now" and maybe we might look at other options. Maybe Cooney wasn't up to it in training. Maybe his attitude stank. Maybe his style of play didn't suit Ireland at the time.

The ship has sailed now anyway and it's Ulster's gain to have him available every week.

Agree with this. That thing with Murray was probably the most disappointing thing of that period. It didn’t do him or anyone else any good.

I thought Murray was awful back then. Sexton wasn't really playing well either. It's like the coaches chuck their hopes on experienced lads and hope for the best. 2019 was a pretty awful year for us! Yet, the coaching ticket stuck to underperforming and underwhelming players. The kiwis beat us easily in the world cup and that wasn't even our worst performance, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

The Wales game in March 2019 is the worst performance I've ever seen from an Ireland team, worse than the NZ 60-0.

• Advertisement

Yea it was bad! But the loss to Japan was awful too!

Ah look, "journeyman" was an overreaction to another poster being obnoxious and willfully ignorant about it.

FWIW I don't put any stock in that Pro14 team of the year, almost by definition it's made up of guys who aren't playing test rugby.

Cooney is a decent player, but when you separate Cooney the scrum half from Cooney the scrum half who kicks a lot of goals, he's no better than Marmion or McGrath, and when was the last time anyone kicked up a fuss about their exclusion?

Maybe he was hard done by in 2019, should have started a 6N game fair enough, I don't particularly think so, but that's two and a half years ago now. He needed to back up that hot streak and he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

That was bad but at least there was the first 20 minutes.

Please tell me you're not actually getting upset over a meme?

I don't know which posts you think are demonstrating frustration, I'm not frustrated with Cooney or what he said, he's entitled to blame who he wants or pass comment on other players communication style or attitude. I think if I was going to criticise a team mate I'd do it in person and not through the media - but that's just me.

We see exactly one side of Sexton and sure - he looks belligerent and highly competitive on the pitch. But on the flip side, he was made Ireland captain and is always picked for Leinster / Ireland when fit and was the starting 10 on two Lions tours. It's possible that people value his attitude on the pitch, his clarity of direction and perhaps - just maybe - off the pitch he is a different person.

And yes, I've never met Simon Zebo but his exposure on social media and in various documentaries clearly show case his personality. Sexton off the pitch is a much more private person so I wouldn't presume to know what he is like. Maybe he is a complete dick, or maybe Cooney just has a chip on his shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Cooney got selected for Ireland in 2017 while Murray was away with the Lions. Couldn't impress the coaches enough to get more than a few minutes against Japan ahead of McGrath and Marmion.

Can't remember if he played in the AIs in 2017 but I'm pretty sure he didn't make any Irish squads in 2018 and looking at the results, I think the coaches got the selections right. Cooney w the s in great form for Ulster 2018/19 but that was a RWC year. Bad timing for him as most coaches are probably pretty settled on a lot of their squad (especially in key positions) a year out. Unfortunately Murray was playing like crap but JS had pinned his plan on him and was hoping he'd find form. I'm pretty sure Cooney was selected for Irish squads in 2019 but couldn't nail down a place. That's on him.

2019/20 he was looking good before the covid break and may have forced his way into Farrell's thoughts. After the break he was getting out performed for Ulster by a 35 year old Alby Matthewson. Now he was a journeyman!

The reason John Cooney doesn't have more Irish caps, is John Cooney.

It's not really "on him" in 2019. It is fairly obvious that Murray (and Sexton) were getting picked and playing almost all of the game no matter how terrible they were. We should not underestimate how mediocre our half backs were that year and there was absolutely no consequence for it.

It is far more likely, like you allude to, that the reason Cooney didn't get more games in 2019 is because Joe Schmidt was praying to all the gods that Murray would stop being rubbish as he really needed him at the World Cup and he was willing to sacrifice the overall team performance to make it happen. Unless Cooney was turning up to Ireland caps after sinking a bottle of Buckfast there is no way he was being outshone by his Munster counterpart.

This overlooks one massive fact.

For the RWC, Cooney didn't lose out to Murray, he lost out to McGrath (and Marmion was ahead of him too).

Maybe Schmidt was praying Murray would come good. He probably was.

But Cooney was way back in fourth. He was never even close. If Joe had seen the light and dropped Murray, Cooney would still have been watching from the couch.

He had a golden opportunity with the injuries to Marmion and McGrath for the 2019 6N. He had a clear run at impressing the coaches and claiming the 21 jersey, even if 9 was out of reach, but he didn't take advantage of it. There's no one to blame there but John Cooney.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

But who Joe Schmidt selected for the RWC is hardly proof of anything. It's not like any of our performances that year vindicated him leaving his form 9 out every week. 2019, and the RWC in the same year, were a huge disappointment and Joe Schmidt was shown to not quite be so infallible. Ireland were very poor, it was a pretty bad end to an otherwise successful tenure. I'm sure someone will be along to tell me how we became top ranked team that year after winning a warm up game, whatever.

I'm happy to see him line out for Ulster each week, I think his test career is over as that ship sailed. He didn't get a fair shake of it in 2019, sometimes that happens in sport, he was unlucky that the coach was happy to persist with a wildly out of form player who ultimately never got back into form rather than giving the lesser, but very much in form player a go. I think this notion that he didn't get a go cause he wasn't good enough is nonsense and not backed up by the reality of that year.

But anyway, this is my last post on this topic as you've made it fairly clear many times what your views are here about this very average journeyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The idea that coaches are somehow foolproof when it comes to selections and that if a player doesn't impress a certain coach it has to be on the player, is pretty flawed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Well there's a rumour coming from the England camp that Eddie Jones is going to swing the axe in regard to established names.

A coach not picking on reputation...this could be interesting.

Advertisement