Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kin - RTE & AMC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Maybe Michaels misses was caught in the crossfire of a revenge shooting or something

Amanda's Dublin accent is pretty strong but overall she's the acting MVP of the series

The goons on all sides don't look that menacing. Vikings lads look pretty shite tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The second episode really moves along slowly...

The scripting is really bad and only for the cast do they get away with it, its really just Red Rock.

The scene where EJS pisses in the bag all I could think was that the emotions coming from the rest of cast was "Jasus!", and then Charlie Cox quietly says "I have to go!"

but so much emotion!

Charlie Cox's character might actually have a story.

Claire Dunne has the unfortunate task of having to share the screen with EJS.

I think they possibly should have killed off the son in a different episode.

EJS completely over acts across all the films and tv shows that he is in.

Overall mediocre. Going avoid reviews and spoilers of next episode.

Actually didn't mind the soundtrack but it should have been an opportunity to provide someone in the Irish/Local industry with some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I saw a promo for this, and I noticed peculiar camera angles? Is there a name for this kind of technique*. It's like an attempt to add gravitas to the production when all it is is placing a camera at a odd angle.

*Would it be the 'fly perspective'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The TikTok generation. If something exciting isn’t happening every 90 seconds it’s absolutely the worst thing ever to have happened on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The soundtrack is someone from the Irish industry. It's David Holmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Poor auld Frank probably only asked the barman to put a head on his point 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

RTE's add they are playing this week about the next Episode is really bad. It's basically all spoilers. Well done RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeah the blurry shots, which seemed to be every second shot in episode 2, are bothering me too. I don't know why!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Just doesn't have the same magic as Love/Hate - its not great.....Gillan getting a blow job for the shock effects NAH 2 episodes enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think I made the same remark almost word for word as soon as that line was uttered!

Frank being shown as gay/bi with a predilection for casual hookups seems a bit of a Chekov's gun - no doubt it'll be how he gets killed later in the season: a honey trap of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Sam Keely (Eric "Viking" Kinsella) was a cast member of RTE drama Raw, like Keith McErlean (Doyler). He was also in the RTE crime drama Dublin Murders. Sam appeared in an episode of TV3 mystery drama Jack Taylor.

Both Aiden Gillen and Maria Doyle Kennedy were in Channel 4 drama Queer as Folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

the lad who was killed

is his dad irelands answer to jason mamoa lol

shocking acting in fairness

half of them are probably scrotes in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Yes. It was trite and cliched.

Hes a gangster and hes gay. Wow. Shock horror!. Maybe if his character had some depth and back story it might have had some impact, but it doesnt.

Just really poor writing. Dull and unimaginative.

I saw somebody on here insuating people arnt getting it because it's too slow moving and lacking action. What a load of codswollip. It's the quality of the work that is getting on peoples wick.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

The show is very patchy. At points it works quite well but some of it is poorly written.

Claire Dunne is quite poor in her role. The accent doesn't work. Ditto Maria DK. Generic matriarch of gang family part. Also, what is going on with Ciarán Hinds' accent too? Has he had a stroke?

The most interesting part about it is Charlie Cox's character which seems to have a lot of internal conflict going on. It has me interested to see which way it will play out.

Further to the above (Sam Keeley), other connections to legal or detective or mystery dramas: - I may have mentioned some of these before -

Charlie Cox: Lewis and Judge John Deed.

Maria Doyle Kennedy: DDU: District Detective Unit/Making the Cut (RTE), Striking Out (RTE) and Dexter.

Aidan Gillen: The Bill, Law and Order: Trial by Jury and The British Detective.

Emmet J. Scanlan: The Fall and No Offence.

Ciaran Hinds: Between The Lines, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, Above Suspicion and its sequels.

Conor Mullen: The Bill, The Silence, Murder Prevention, Heartbeat and Silent Witness.

Incidentally, Conor Mullen was another person in the RTE drama Raw.

Both Charlie Cox and Marie Doyle Kennedy have appeared in Downton Abbey (the tv series).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ep2 was poor...and episode 1 wasnt that great either.

Waste of a good cast....Clare Dunne does well with what she has (she can definitely act she is brilliant in herself).....but Aidan Gillen and emmett scanlan...are absolutely f#cking awful in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The trailer gives it all away for EP3.

Thought the face to face camera thing with Amanda and Eamon was cringe. Trying to make it out like there's some kind of proxy war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Ciarán Hinds is a great actor that has come out of nowhere. He was great in The Terror, and now he's back again entertaining us!! Definitely one of those actors that was under the radar for years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Was it just me or was the BJ unnecessary? How did it add to the narrative?

Pissing in the bag of money was a bit unnecessary too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

He's been a character actor in a lot of Hollywood blockbusters over the years.

Exactly. Ciaran Hinds hardly has come out of nowhere, having honed his craft for years. Initially, he did a lot of theatre work.

Ciaran had an uncredited cameo in that dark gangster-oriented black comedy film In Bruges. He was the priest by the way!

He was one of the group of secret Israeli assassins in the film Munich.

I'm surprised that Sean McGinley hasn't turned up in this - he has been in a number of Irish dramas, including Love/Hate. He is a good actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I just hadn't noticed Hinds until the Terror in which he was superb. I hope we get to see more of him in the show

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This church appears in the trailer for the show on IMDB, does anyone happen to know where it is and what it's called? I'm so, so sure I've seen it before in real life but I can't place it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

SMcG is a turn off for me in almost any screen work he's done. He's excellent in theatre though.

It's up in Greenhills. Church of the Holy Spirit, I think.

I don't particularly think so. Did you find the other sex scene unnecessary?

As for pissing on the bag of money, it was payment for his son's life so there's that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭antfin

I don't understand all the disgust about the blowjob scene. I'm sure it will link into a later development or perhaps it's already a factor in the storyling. Perhaps Frank's taste for younger men is already known to Eamon and that's part of the reason why Frank was always so keen to stay compliant with Eamon's earlier demand to solely buy from him. Alternatively, I'm sure it will come into the storyline at some future point. I imagine that it will fit in better than the nonsensical "my kid was murdered so come're and gimme a crying ride because that's the last thing I described to him" scene!

Overall though, so far I find the dialogue fairly poorly written and the lines mostly delivered badly by actors that seem to be overly focused on speaking slowly and calmly for their situation. Potentially the delivery was intentionally slowed down to allow US audiences understand what was being said without the need for subtitles but I find Emmett J Scanlan to speak like that in everything.

Advertisement