Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog Sportive 2021

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There was another incident coming down from Sallygap on the return leg. I think the fella was trying to avoid a sheep but had too much speed and came off. Gardai were quickly on the scene and I believe he is bruised but not broken thankfully.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thats me in the second picture, looking very unfit with the gilet stuffed in the front.

Got to the start thanks to triggermortis's invervention and his clubmate from Balrothery picking me up.

Stayed with him, and some if his vcb clubmates for the the first 20k or so and then it got strung out. Front derailleur didn't want to go into the small ring at one point at the start of the small climb before Cunard ( just after a few overshot on the R114(just past cross) and nearly missed the turn and someone pushed me up with their hand for enough time to get it going again.

Hoofed my way up first half of Cunard, but paid for it in the apparently easier middle section.

Visibility was low, and I mean really low from Lough Bray, but it was actually great to be cycling in those conditions. Put on gilet, got passed by earlier group and caught up at water stop.

Gave a few tows and got a few then from water stop to Roundwood and Laragh and made that in good time.

Didn't feel like stopping ong, and thought anyone I recognized had left but think they had just gone to fettle. Headed off for military road and Sally gap. Favourite of mine, so just spun up past the waterfall at an easy pace and got into my own rythm.

l

From Sally gap down was faster than I'd normally go, but still slower than the better descenders. Thereafter those little brutal climbs before lake drive absolutely tore the legs off me and had a few of us who'd pass one another on climbs / descents.

Rolled in at 24kmph in 5 hrs 12mins. Satisfied with that.

Brilliantly marshalled, signposted and loads of food. Skittles got me through a few tired moments.

Cheers to VCB lads and member who dropped me down, and cheers to the others I ended up with a few times. Cheers to @Corker1 and the cogs though. Has a great day.ate a burger and then went into the cafe with the wife for another lunch.

Post edited by Weepsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Plomber

Short note to say thanks to all involved in putting this great event on. This is a favorite of mine because it’s just about good cycling. On some level I enjoyed my 125km of torture, and am enjoying a beer now. Well done and thanks again for a great day.

Also need to apologise to the guy who I told there wasn't much climbing after second time to Sally gap. In the grand scheme of things there wasn't, but they were stingers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

first time doing this and it’s a really well organised event. Thanks very much to the army of marshals and volunteers!

the course itself is a real challenge, I almost threw my bike off the mountain before the top of Cunard! Some lovely fast descents and a lovely stretch along the mountain a few km after the food stop.

fell into a good group towards the front and finished with just over 29kph avg although Iwas towed home for the last 20k!!

despite hating every meter of Cunard, I’ll be back next year for more punishment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Excuses at the start: Busted my coccyx a little over a month ago and have only done 3 spins since then. Also went on holidays and was forced to eat a heap of food and drink buckets of Guinness. To say I was undercooked and overweight was putting it mildly and I suffered like the proverbial Dog. The headwind going up Cunard and right the way over to the Sally gap crossroads must have added about 500m extra to the climbing. I was pushing 250w and struggling to get above 25kmh on the downhill before the crossroads!!!

Made it around in 5.36 , solo for the first half then along with 2 other gents from the tea stop. Despite the pain it remains my favorite spin of the year and I'll be back next year for my 6th.

Also, met and had a lovely chat with Lissard from this parish both before and after the spin. Chapeau

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the climbs came close to breaking me, and I nearly sh** myself on a couple of the descents, but it was a great day. Lessons learnt from today are do more hills and become a more confident descender. Thanks to a lad called Owen/Eoin from Bray Wheelers who gave me a few tips and the benefit of his local knowledge, and also thanks to some unknown dude cycling the other way who shouted well done at me just at the right time on one the climbs. Also, up yours Garmin who told me I actually did 175km with an average speed of 32.2km/h and a top speed of 207. 

Brilliant day, thanks to the organisers and marshalls. 

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭this.lad

You are forgiven!

It was a great day out, I tried to pace myself throughout but still half blew-up with about 5k to go. I got it into my head that we were going up over harristown and the head dropped. Once I realised it was straight on past humpreystown and tulfarris I dug in and managed to do it in 5:15 24km/h

I have done plenty of cycling in wicklow but more around the west like glenmalure the wicklow gap etc, never up on those roads before but just kept grinding it out until I got home.

My descending is dreadful, I need to work on it in a big way.

It was a very well run event, marshaling, signage, food all top notch. Well done to the club.

Thanks to those, including weepsie, I chatted to along the way. I was there as a lone ranger so the few words helped to break it up.

also thanks to some unknown dude cycling the other way who shouted well done at me just at the right time on one the climbs.

I actually really appreciated the marshals and others along the way cheering us on. Felt good and was just at the right time.

I found the climbs as far as Laragh tough. The spin from Annamoe towards Laragh had topped 50km/h. Anyhow, maybe it was the break but the climbs from Laragh felt fine for me and I was up with the climbers in our group (some others were falling behind on the climbs). Chuffed with myself for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

29kph!! Blinkin' 'eck, that is some pace over that course! I thought in training that 5hrs would be a tough nut to crack and I had it in the back of my mind as a "maybe, if I'm lucky, target". So the top dogs came home in less than 4h20m. Kudos! Plenty of the early riders who came up Cunard looked very comfortable alright and were moving at an impressive pace.

What was the lead out like from the start to Blessington? Were you able to get cracking or was the pace heavily controlled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 fader123

Delighted to hear this. Was very worried having seen him lying on the ground with emergency services all around.

That aside, was a great day out on the bike. Not the furthest I have ever cycled, but by far the most climbing! I was struggling a bit after the Glenmacnass climb until l fell in with a couple of super sound lads, their friendly chat gave me the boost I needed at that moment.

Fantastic organisation and great enthusiasm from all the volunteers. The burger at the end was delicious too!

Thanks! Just checked there it was 4hrs 16 mins. If it’s any consolation pretty much everybody in the small lead group was suffering by the end.

lead out car was spot on, nice decent pace right up to maybe 40kish. Mid 30s till the bottom of the first climb.

the wind on Cunard was a nitemare, I made it up in good time but was looking and feeling far from comfortable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

That's me in the top photo, I was in the hurt locker so much that I was a few metres past before I processed the "boardsie" comment - sorry!

My 3rd dog done, and still one of my favourites. Lasted with the front just to near the top of the last climb before Cunard. I probably could've dug in, but really felt to what end, knowing what was coming. Ended up solo from there to Laragh. Went with the front again from there, and just couldn't quite hold to the top of Glenmacnass, and then had to see them in the distance most of the way to the Sally Gap, just getting a bit further away the whole time. But a tailwind at least. So spent most of the route in no man's land solo- not quite strong enough for the front but ego meant I was determined to push on rather than sit up (I was hopefully looking over my shoulder quite a lot all the same!). Great to finally see the views from the Gap Road too!

Averaged 27.3km, so happy with that. I still hate Lake Drive though - those kickers are an absolute killer at that stage.

I do have one suggestion, whenever it's looked for, as Roundwood village is an absolute clusterf*ck on a Sunday morning, particularly as the Dog always hits at Mass time. Turn above Annacarter, and the back road to Laragh (Via Oldbridge/ Lough Dan) - adds another untc of a climb, which I know you guys love, but just avoids the mess. Sharp descent back to the main road is about the only downside. I live in Roundwood (the current route goes past my house!), but even solo I try to avoid the village if I can on a Sunday after 9ish.

Post edited by Macy0161 on

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

First time doing this one and now I see why it gets such good press. The atmosphere at the start was great and it was clear everyone was delighted to be back. The route was really well marked and signposted and I thought the marshalls were great. My favourite bit was getting a high five from the kids at the top of the Gap road climb - it was a lovely personal touch. Also hard to beat the Russborough House as an event HQ, top marks to everyone in Reservoir Cogs I'll definitely be back. Finally it was great to meet a few boardsies, I had a great chat with Daroxtar before and after. It also seems like I was dispensing my limited West Wicklow knowledge to jethrothe2nd before the climbing began in earnest - at bit like taking advice on how to win a GT from the lanterne rouge.

Post edited by lissard on

There are a load of photos on the Reservoir Cogs facebook page. This is one of me looking kinda gormless (I note that the camera has also added at least 10lbs!)...

Oops, thought I had put up a link to the Cogs FB page - https://www.facebook.com/ReservoirCogsCC/

More pictures up this morning. I think anyone in the first group and the handful of us in the next group who didn't hang around long at food stop ended up ahead of the photographers for the last 50k

I'm in some pictures are the start and coming down from the Sally Gap. There's another of me, but can't quite place where it is on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭this.lad

Going up Luggala? I think I remember a photographer there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

After three days rest, I can now say I enjoyed that 😁

First of all - huge thanks to the cogs, volunteers and marshalls for a great, safe and well-organised event. Lovely athmosphere at the start with loads of people just happy to back at an event like this.

I dont think I ever suffered as much on the bike. That covid baby of mine weighs a tonne and I really felt the impact of the lower mileage of the past eighteen months. By the time I got to the gap the first time, I knew I was in for a tough day. I was never a fan of the spin along the lakeshore but on Sunday it was just awful - legs wouldnt respond to any kind of uphill. I was very pleased to make that final right turn towards Hollywood and home.

I've never seen so many photos after an event and unfortunately I feature in several - let's just say I have looked a lot better at the end of other events.

I'll be back again next year for more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I think Corker could confirm this but the genesis of the Reservoir Dog route is in the first part of the name! It has always linked the three main reservoirs so turning off above Annacarter would miss the Vartry Reservoir. There might be the option of turning right just after the Roundwood Inn to get on to the Oldbridge Road and miss some of the traffic.

Turning at annacarter already means you don't go past the reservoir, so that is already gone.

There's actually better, and more frequent, views of the reservoir from the top road.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

You are spot on Mercian Pro, the original concept for the Reservoir Dog route was a tour of the Reservoirs to tie in with our club name. The name 'Tour de Reservoir' was even mooted before we settled on The Reservoir Dog Sportive - Because it is Dog hard for a relatively short course.😅. The original route joined the R755 Roundwood road at the T Junction below Anacarter adjacent to the Vartry Reservoir. To improve rider safety we altered the route to join the R755 at a safer junction closer in to Roundwood where there was better visibility and slower moving traffic within the 50Kmh speed control zone with ramps to slow traffic. This change was made in response to marshal and rider feedback. We had given the Road that Macy suggested at the right turn above Annacarter cross roads close consideration for inclusion in our route a couple of years back. It is very scenic and adds a bit more 'spice' with the climb up out of Oldbridge. But the deal breaker is the T Junction of the L1059 minor road with the R755 just below St Johns Church at Laragh. The approach to the junction is a very steep, fast downhill stretch. The risk of riders overcooking their descent and shooting out onto the main road or slamming into riders waiting to make their right turn was too high. So we knocked that idea on the head. Passing through Roundwood is not ideal but we try to keep the busy roads on the route to a minimum. Besides, the run through Annamoe gives riders an opportunity to spin the legs before the food stop and tackling Glenmacnass and the remaining climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Well done all, it was great to see you all on Sept 5th, both the familiar faces and those new to the joys of 'The Dog'. I thought there was a really nice buzz and atmosphere on the day. I suppose for a lot of riders it may have been only their first or second Sportive back so everyone was up for a good time. We were lucky with the weather too. A bit misty and blowy over Sally Gap on the way out but at least it stayed dry. Glad to read that so many of you enjoyed the day. It is heartening to read the positive comments and feedback. Thanks folks, I have passed it on to our volunteers and helpers. Gavlor, that was an amazing average speed, fair play👍️👏. The 30Kmh target is there for the taking next year! 😆 That was me driving the lead car for the first wave group by the way. I could see in my mirrors that the lead group of riders was well disciplined and working well, so no need for me to get in the way, but no one was getting the benefit of my bumper either, 😉. I hate cycling in a big group when it gets bunched up behind the lead car with everyone twitchy and constantly on their brakes. A recipe for disaster!

Post edited by Corker1 on

30kph??? Maybe if I co-pilot the lead car!! In fairness there was no messing in the main group and it thinned out fairly rapidly once we hit the first climb!! Thanks again for all the effort, the event was flawless

There is the option to rejoin the main road in annamoe too now - it's tarmac the whole way from the top road to the junction by Glendalough House/ the Fish Farm. There's ramps which naturally put the brakes on, but it's not as steep to the junction (which is also grand and wide). Anyway, it was just a suggestion, as Roundwood is invariably hit at Mass time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I don't tend to post here any more since they changed the UI and made absolute sh1te of it. Found this thread searching Google for something else, more later....

Turns out I was close enough to Weepsie for the first chunk of the course, didn't get close enough to say hi though. After passing keep_her_lit I was grand all the way to Laragh. Until I stepped off the bike and a massive twinge in my lower left back. Had felt nothing off while cycling so was very surprised to be in pain, had done more distance and climbing in recent training previously (hadn't done more than 30ish km at a time for the previous 9 years since the anklebiters came along, last big ride was the Sean Kelly in 2012 but was up to mid 80s or so in weeks previously). Bought some paracetamol in the petrol station after the food stop and set off up glen macnass. Struggled for a few km but either the pills kicked in or I rode the stiffness out, but crested Sally and set off for home. Descended like a stone as usual, and in great form until the first bend on the ballysmutton climb when both quads cramped just above the knees. Barely managed to step off the bike in time before they locked up and I was left immobile for a couple mins while I waited for them to release. Got walking slowly up then back on the bike and trundled to the final waterstop where my companion for the day, also from this neck of the woods, oflahero, was waiting for me (kinda had to I suppose, I had the car key :) ). We got around the lakes mostly together (the smell of carvery from the pub in ballyknockan almost had me off the bike for a feed!) And back to russborough for a well earned burger. A tough but enjoyable day in the saddle, weather was excellent and the course was great. Off home and into the bath, happy to have a good 100+ in the legs... Which brings me back to the reason I found the thread..... This was the "warmup" for 9th October, when I'm off to Fermanagh with 2 mates to do the lakelander big dog gravel ride, 100km and >1800m almost entirely on gravel.

Will be on my MTB for this, slightly scared about doing that sort of distance on not a road bike, but figure with a 30x50 gear combo I'll be able to winch up pretty much anything, albeit slowly. Though the recent change in weather has me beginning to think I'm nucking futs.....

Advertisement