Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

A user here mentioned that a good solicitor will look after this process for you. He will ensure that your purchase and sale transaction contracts are aligned so you will not become homeless. We spoke to our solicitor to get an assurance that they will manage and align both transaction for us… you will risk losing your buyer when your purchase side starts dragging. But it’s a seller’s market at the moment. Hope it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

This is a great example of some items you can reduce costs on if you're prepared to take the work on yourself.

We're near to purchasing a house that's in an awful state. Just had the survey, and while he noted that it needed a lot of work, he pointed out how much we could do ourselves. But we know there will be a significant cost in refurbishing it, and we're trying to plan cost for it as best we can now.

I don't think people who buy houses in bad nick are being naive in general, they're just being hopeful and perhaps prioritising location against walk in quality. You do have to put in a lot of thought when viewing and bidding to understand as much as you can about what's needed. We know we will need professional help with things like re-wire, re-plumb (even the pipes need to be replaced), new boiler but we're taking on everything we can possibly do ourselves to keep the costs down. As for covering those costs - begging, borrowing, stealing, eating baked beans for the next year if needs be! And not being afraid to get our hands dirty - we know it could take a long time to actually get in to the house.

Am aware not everyone has that luxury - i.e. they don't have the time to wait before moving in and have kids to worry about etc. But for us, we prioritised buying in the best kip in the best location we could afford because then we'll want to stay there for the long run, and we'll eventually get that value of the great location out of it over the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Thank you, Yes we believe the solicitor we have is well of aware of our situation and there is no way I would sign for any sale of our house untill we have signed for buying the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jood22

definitely delay is with the underwriters. They’re taking 6-9 working days to respond/answer new queries on accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭horse7

Hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Iris11111

How long is it currently taking with PTSB to drawdown? We got 5 working days after the solicitor cheque request as initial update - it is day 9 today and we are still waiting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Same story on my end, same development I'd imagine. Replied within seconds of getting the email, just so happened to be in my inbox when it landed. I'd imagine all of the bookings were pretty much gone before they even sent the email out.

The developer / estate agent are only releasing the houses in really small batches to drive up the feeling of huge demand.

They're also not selling them off the plans anymore. Building them first, then selling them. A sure sign that the developer / estate agent feels the prices will keep rising between commencement of construction and completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Has anyone any experience in the bank needing to “qualify the title” on a new house and how long that can take? Have come up against it, and it’s a small issue so hopefully not complicated, but know it will take time but no idea how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niniboots

We had similar dissapointments, registered for 6 new builds all gone, seemingly within seconds. On our final one after I registered my interest, I phoned and asked who was managing and the email. I emailed this individual every day for a week, I think she got fed up with me and we got offered a pre sale viewing. This was 2 days before they sent the email for viewing appointments, there were 30 houses all reserved bar 6 in the pre viewing. The 6 that were remaining were priced 25k to 30k more. I know because ridiculously I got an email to register for viewing from a different representative for the two days, even though we had reserved already. There wasn't 30 houses left just the six.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Shuukaido

Any tips on how to annoy the EAs enough to get a pre-sales viewing?

Also, what were the price ranges of these developments?

We are preparing ourselves for a new development launch, so any advice is welcome!

• Advertisement

Into 20 working days waiting on a loan offer from bank with no updates from broker or bank other than “we’ll escalate it”. Anyone else having similar experiences. Annoying as our contracts are ready and we don’t want to be delaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niniboots

Gosh, I wish I could give sound advice here but I went against everything recommended to us. I sent our AIP, and as FTB, ready to go and as we didn't know the new phase price it was a gamble. The EA was waiting on contractor to give a date, so after that I 'checked' in to see status and if houses were ready for viewing. On the day beforehand I phoned and got to speak over phone. The house we reserved 440k 1460sq st, the first phase it was 390k. The next phase is 465k for same house type. We were at our max, we liked area & were happy as our rent exceeds mortgage. We had done similar with a new build in Dunboyne, it didn't work and someone else had gotten preview emails hours before us. The EA say they are being fair as lots of people who are unsuccessful in first phase and hang on seem to be given priority. Another friend has been successful by registering similar details for cancellation. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Not just me then. I’m not that many days yet. But it’s awful slow. And not been asked for updated statements or pay slips yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

We had similar delays with Haven, took almost 7 weeks to get from submitting everything to loan offer with Haven, even though it was a “straightforward application” directly following a previous full approval and loan offer...

Good to know (well not good, but eye opening at least). Also, our solicitor won’t check contracts til loan offer is sent, is this the norm?

Seems a poor use of time but i suppose solicitors won’t do the work if the bank won’t ok the money.

My guess is your solicitor wants to save their own time, and possibly yours also - its just a easy to sign both sets of documents at the same time in one visit. they will charge you a certain amount either way, usually upfront, of say 2 or 300 euro and then the balance on drawdown, so they will be careful of the number of hours in that time.

If you have a "subject to loan" clause (and you would be mad not to in my opinion) there's no issue with signing a contract without having your loan offer.

Has anyone here received a surveyor’s report that raises poor condition of sections of the house such as missing and poor condition fascia and soffits ; poor fabric condition of roof of extension; damaged window and ceilings of conservatory; unsafe loosen wall at the side of the house. The report still says the house is structurally sound. But the cost to repair the above issues would be in the region of 20k. Is this something that warrants discussion with the seller and is a valid basis to reduce the agreed price? If you are the seller will you tell me to F* off?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

In the current market they'll probably tell you to get lost. But talk to your surveyor about the seriousness of the issues before continuing with the sale. Ultimately if they're big issues that are going to show up and turn off every set of buyers that get a survey then eventually the vendor will have to take a discount.

Unfortunately if this is the first time it's been sale agreed the vendor is likely to just try the next highest bidder if you do pull out. If two or three parties pull out because of the issues then at that point most vendors would consider a discount.

But talk to the surveyor and get a sense of the seriousness.

Thanks. I agree that they will probably not accommodate our request and they can always go for the next bidder. But I am not buying a money pit either. There are other issues highlighted but we are ignoring them as we are aware and have seen them before we placed our bid. The new issues contained in the surveyors reports which collectively will make the property 20k dearer is making me uncomfortable. But you’re right I need to speak to the surveyor to confirm seriousness of the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Yes, we were 24 working days waiting with Tsb (even longer from the original request but we had to resubmit a valuation so counting from when we submitted that).

All very frustrating and now we may have a legal issue so has to go to their legal team and god knows how long that’ll take. Nothing is easy with house buying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

If your solicitor has sight of that report they are legally obliged to inform the bank. The bank themselves might even ask to see a surveyors report especially if the valuations says the property is in a poor state of repair. They may give you grief when it comes to drawing down the mortgage and you might have to show how you’ll pay for the works.

a friend of mine bought a house in the estate we grew up in and he was planning on gutting it. He knew what the houses were like but the bank insisted on a surveyors report because it was below market value and they were worried there must be something wrong with it. The bank wouldn’t release all the funds until either he repaired the issues in the report or he showed he has funds to do it. Something like that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Seeing a lot of places come back on the market in the last few weeks, that were previously sale agreed. Anyone know why these sales are falling through?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭ec18

banks won't release the funds, willing to lend less when on a given property than AIP, vendors re listing for higher prices, buyers backing out,

take your pick really, it's all of those really

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Dublinandy3

My wife and I are getting seriously annoyed with our solicitor, we can't get past the first person answering the phone, calls are not responded to, and emails are not responded to. I don't know, everyone tells me this is normal for a solicitor, just seems really odd to me.

I'm super tempted to switch solicitors but I suspect that's super annoying and if my solicitor is bad anyway, the process won't be easy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Why won't the bank release the funds though? Surely if the buyer has AIP, they would be good to go, no?

id say that depends on whether it’s underwritten AIP or just the throw away type you can get with AIB in 10mins with yes/no questions… plus a lot can change in the time from formal AIP to the time you’re ready to draw down - financially, health wise etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Would be a frosty time to go sale agreed right now with what's happening in China

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭horse7

It,s gone crazy now,a house I was interested in in bettystown has just gone up 130,000€, that's from 425 to 555,000€.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

That sounds like it could be the house my friends were bidding on.

I posted about it somewhere else. But they cuaght the estate agent out playing games with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If you are borrowing from a chinese bank, certainly

Advertisement