Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Seems to be a similar mix to here but their club owners seem to really push for stadium improvements. There's alot less of the "we'll do something about the p1ss flowing out of the jacks when we get into the Champions League Groups" type attitude.

Larne were taken over a few seasons back and their owner had no problem putting his hand in his own pocket to turn Inver Park into a tidy little ground. The Glens owner seems happy enough to put at least some of his own cash into a redeveloped Oval.

I know they have access to funds from London that clubs here obviously don't but there definitely seems to be a different emphasis up there in terms of infrastructure.

UEFA are offering low interest loans for infrastructure improvements and it doesn't even get on the clubs radar down here. That's pretty strange in a league with overall poor infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Ageeed. Larne have a great ground.

fair few artificial pitches in the North ( including Larne’s)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The standard of football played at the nice tidy grounds is still terrible though.

And not likely to improve on artificial pitches. Derry have a tidy stand with an artificial pitch. Problem is they can't actually win at home on that pitch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good game at Dalymount.

Bugger, Bohs just equalised.

And slightly biased commentators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Brilliant game. I'm going to really miss LOITV for stuff like this next season when I'm assuming it'll be canned.

Looks like Derry will take all the points home after that Akintunde goal. Poor defending but great finish.

Oh my god. Georgie Kelly! What an unbelievable goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

I really hope they don't get rid of LOI TV. It's great to be able to watch matches when Pats aren't playing or when I can't get to the matches.

Some game in Dalymount. Two goals in injury time and nearly all the goals were really excellent. Both teams have some really promising young talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Bohs really playing with my emotions tonight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We threw that away, Derry's 2nd and 3rd shocking defending. Georgie saved it at the end with a wonder goal. Great to see the crowds back.

Enjoyed that game. I’ll miss loi tv next year (presuming it’s pulled) too, as I can’t go to away games anymore.( too old ) to misquote Oscar Wilde to catch Covid once is unfortunate, to catch it twice is careless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

The feeling is that it won't be. The FAI certainly want to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Great game last night. Not sure how we ended up 3-2 down in injury time but Georgie saved the day with an absolute wonder strike.

Kids were hopping coming home from the game, couldn't wait to go into school and tell their mates about the goal!

Really hope they keep LOITV - I think it has improved significantly since the clubs took over for the most part. I know that away fans complain of bias of the home commentators, but these are fans volunteering not paid professionals. I know not all clubs are doing this but the pre & post match and half time analysis sections that Bohs have added just add so much to the setup, first thing I did when I got in was watch Georgie Kelly's post game interview.

So many benefits to having LOITV - not least the fact you don't miss any away games. But in terms of FAI - if they want to promote the league, you need footage of moments like Georgie's goal last night. Those goals and the celebrations are what draw fans to games and the FAI need to be ramming footage of moments like that down every football fan in Ireland throat's via all their social media channels.

Yeah the commentary was biased, but I can live with that to see the game. How else would most Derry fans see a game in Dublin on Monday night?

As for the coverage, it is very good. I enjoyed Harps coverage during the half-time interval versus Dundalk last week, thought it was well done. Especially considering I think most of the half time breaks used to just be dead air when the coverage started?

Yeah, when the FAI ran it, half time was just dead air. The head of the FAI having been recruited specifically for his strong commercial skills 😫

A lot of clubs are making a good effort of LOITV, even something as simple as having their sponsors on screen is good for the clubs, sponsors get a bit of exposure. FAI did none of that.

Like you said, it's difficult for most people to make away games especially for midweek games. The thought of going back to checking scores on extratime.ie is frightening

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bonkers game last night, think both teams came out disappointed they didn't win. Incredible stuff from Georgie Kelly, not just the goals but his whole game. You know it's a good one when both managers are straight over to the ref to complain at full time.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

It's a pity all our previous attempts to lure GK to the north west haven't worked.

But I do think he was studying in Dublin which may come and an end, and who knows he may want to relocate closer to home?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Things seem to be going from bad to worse in Dundalk as they now have another COVID outbreak.

Harps must have a fantastic chance of putting their name into the semi-final draw on Friday.

Edit: Fair play to Dundalk. Took their chances. Be interesting to see how they respond to the extra time on Friday night.

Post edited by hardybuck on

Please tell me you're in the know that a contract extension is imminent!

Was great to get Ali signed up for another & there was talk of Devoy from the lad that runs the Between the Stripes podcast (not sure how in teh know he is?)

On a completely separate subject - came across this on the O'Neills website, part of the COPA Retro range they are now retailing. It's an absolute beaut & surely a must have for Cork fans (pricey mind)

• Advertisement

It’s or just LOI referees either! In the highlights of NIFL last night the referee in the Ballymena match clearly moved the site of the foul to outside the box when it was clearly inside. I wouldn’t mind but the ref was 5 yards away,

Don't get Kelly printed on the back of next seasons jersey just yet I would say.

Go on the Harps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The LOI central podcast is worth a listen to this week. The head of RTE sport is interviewed. I don't buy his excuses on the European matches this year especially the away matches and I also don't buy his figures for the Gaa club championship (an article from the indo last year suggests an average of 60,000 as a success). But I will say that the league matches viewing figures are very low. He also gets aggressive with Johnny Ward at times which didn't reflect particularly well.

He was on the back foot from the start. "The figures aren't important." Proceeds to talk about figures for 30 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Ward basically questioned his professionalism and his ability to leave his personal sports preferences at the door when doing his job. That is a fairly serious accusation to level at someone and they are obliged to defend it. I think you’re overegging it to say he was aggressive. He wasn’t threatening to punch Johnny. Aggressive is not the right word.

it won’t be a popular opinion here but mcbennett is an extremely good communicator. Ultimately if women’s six nations games are bringing in a better average of viewership it’s a poor show for the league. The low watchLOI figures also spoke badly of interest in the domestic game.

rte will be guided by the numbers and the numbers aren’t good.

very good interview all in all

You cannot put something on TV now and again and expect good results. As national broadcaster RTE have a responsibility to help grow the local game but they are failing miserably. There is no continuity in their coverage and zero promotion done for games when they do actually show them.

Sligo Rovers v St Pats was shown on RTE2 two weeks ago. It was the first game on TV in over 4 months. I'm a Sligo Rovers fan and even I didn't know it was on RTE until the evening of the match when I happened to spot it on Twitter by chance. They also geoblocked it on the RTE Player which was nice of them.

They might not agree that they have a responsibility to grow the local game.

it might be in Mc Bennett’s job brief, but I doubt it. It certainly wouldn’t be a prime delivery item for him from his bosses.

10-15k watching Soccer Republic regardless of time slot. It didn't matter if it was on at 7,8, half 10 or 11. The viewing figures didn't change.

100k average for the FAI Cup final.

I think the whole television debate is a red herring anyway. McBennett to be fair came on the podcast and was very honest. Some things i agreed with him on some i disagreed but he showed up to be questioned.

He talked about facilities needing to improve and that's really important. Football on TV is a TV show and that means it has to be polished grounds and bums on seats. A TV camera looking into a half empty main stand in Inchicore on a wet Friday night or pointed at a chip van parked behind the goals in Sligo doesn't make for good TV. Then there's the product. Realistically we're among the minnows in Europe. We're in the bottom rung of the coefficients amomg the principalities and statelets and our clubs are beaten by clubs from Estonia, Iceland and Lithuania. That's the standard of the product. It can absolutely improve but we've about as much chance of getting your average neutral punter to tune into a Shams v Drogheda game on a Friday night as we do of them watching Riga FC v Riga FS.

If things are to move forward the clubs need to get to together and decide where they want the league to be in 10 years and start lobbying for it. There's videos on Youtube of LOI club men in the 80s going on about the same problems the league has now - attendances and poor facilities.

The likes of Drogheda, Shels, Dundalk and a few more p1ssed away fortunes and are still playing out of the football equivalent of a bucket with a hole in it.

Proper fixed toilet buildings at every ground and hot showers for players should be a minimum but we're a long way from that at some grounds. It takes money to do these things but its also an attitude issue. For a lot of clubs they simply prioritise paying inflated wages to make the "step up" which usually translates as going for broke in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Lads I fully expect LOITV to be staying around for next year and beyond, the clubs and the league are absolutely working and planning on that basis.

• Advertisement

He was aggressive and belligerent from the very start. You don't have to threaten to punch someone to be aggressive. He effectively asked for the interview to kick the LOI in the balls and that showed in his demeanour and tone from the outset.

His suitability and competence for the job was fairly directly questioned in a large tone change undertaken by Ward. You do that with anyone in any profession and they’re unlikely to take it lying down, I wouldn’t call it aggressive to be honest at all. Aggressive means there is an implied threat of violence. It’s not the right word

Not necessarily, aggressive can also mean a confrontational manner. Doesn't always mean violence.

Just a small thing to point out - FAI aren't really to blame for the crap production, as McBennett proudly points out on his LOI Central podcast appearance - RTE in their magnificence and selflessness did the production. Complete rubbish all the same.

I'm currently suffering through the McBennett interview - no fault at all to the LOI Central hosts, fair play to them for getting such an interesting-sounding guest.

Ok, I didn’t think it was the right word. I only listened to it once but I noticed there was a key change in the interview and that came from Johnny both in what he was saying and the manner he was speaking. Mcbennett, in my opinion, just responded in kind.

Interestingly he skipped the question Ward had on the many errors in production on RTE coverage of LOI matches.

I thought he handled it poorly was the thing. Basically you see RTE do the same thing a lot on the political coverage with those sort of questions and the respondee usually he's more composed and calmer. He lost the rag a bit.

Club-led streaming is the future anyway. Although I am 100% biased in that statement.

He stood up for himself. There was a few home truths in it that if fans are honest with themselves they already knew.

Clubs give out about being on TV because it effects attendances. They give out when they're not because of lack of exposure. Im a LOI fan all my life and I'd probably tell clubs go fook themselves if i was in RTE dealing with that.

RTEs coverage is far from perfect but its the only show in town. All the while RTE are paying €250,000 to the league in TV money which is similar to the amount Airtricity are paying.

Anyway, i think TV coverage isn't even in the top 5 of the leagues problems. Considering the interest in it, it actually punches well above its weight in newspaper coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

take that even further from rte they could quite easily do some simple things but they dont bother. on the likes of the 6.1 they often dont mention the fixtures or may mention one fixture from a group of games they could at least have the rest of the fixtures on screen if they talk about one. The round that we were in europe, it was never mentioned that we played or the results they had interviews with keith long and a interview with bradley days before they played.

when rte usually do there tv sport add for that period in time you can guess what not included on it LOI. they have all the footage so they cant claim they dont have it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

LOI Central was a very interesting listen. Fair play to Declan McBennett for coming on, although I am not sure it will exactly make LOI fans warm up to him.

It makes sense that RTE are reluctant to show more LOI games with the viewing figures so low, but on the other hand the haphazard nature in which they are shown is not conducive to attracting a regular pool of viewers. I only found out today that the Pats v Sligo game was on RTE two weeks ago, I also only found out today that the Pats v Rovers game is on RTE tomorrow night, I say this as a big LOI fan and someone who watches RTE fairly regularly.

The disappointing aspect of the interview is that McBennett or RTE don't sound like they are going to change their tune or help the LOI any time in the near future. It sounds like the only way they will show more games is if we can attract more viewers, a bit of a chicken and egg scenario going on.

I'm one who doesn't think LOITV and streaming is the way forward. Generally I have been disappointed with any streams I have purchased over the past 18 months - biased commentary, no replays, limited cameras, coverage dropping etc. LOITV is a good deal if you can commit to watching a few games a week but between going to actual games and then the Premier League, Champions League etc you get on the TV I found it hard to want to tune in to watch Drogheda play Longford. I also think streaming, if it was decided that is the way the league is going in future, is preaching to the converted. A casual fan or potential fan is not going to pay money to watch a stream.

It absolutely is a correct word - and btw, McBennett wasn't just aggressive when his competence was questioned - his demeanour was aggressive from the very start of the interview.

Aggressive doesn't necessarily mean there's an implied threat of violence incidentally - it can, of course, but in daily life, as often as not, it doesn't.

Here's the Miriam Webster dictionary definition -

Definition of aggressive

1a : tending toward or exhibiting aggression

2a : marked by obtrusive energy and self-assertiveness

The 2a bit was McBennett today - his energy was obtrusive, self-assertive and belligerent.

In fact, and you can consider this to be delivered in an aggressive tone - 'you're talking sh1te'. I'm being obtrusive and belligerent but no physical threat there 👍️

Nobody is going to help the league, not RTE or anybody else. It needs to help itself and it fails miserably at that in terms of corporate governance and marketing.

There needs to be a league specific management board with proper expertise and a mix of league/FAI/business people involved with the remit of going after state funding to fix up infrastructure. Its a poor reflection all round that the likes of Finn Harps are left fighting it alone to build a new ground that would be a benefit to the league. And thats the way new infrastructure at any club should be looked at.

I thought the interview was an interesting insight into the way TV production works. We're all fans of the league but when it comes to TV coverage that's different gravy and McBennett points out competition for airtime and budget allocation for live sport within RTE is fierce.

McBennett basically agrees that RTE has a public service function towards the league. He says he's fulfilling that with 15 games per year. Looking at the cold hard viewership figures it would be hard to argue with that.

The big issue here is the league lost 15 live games a year when Eir left. RTE were never going to step into that breach. The league will do very well to hang on to what it has.

There's also the fact RTE put on WatchLOI but fans couldn't be arsed paying 60 quid or the price of 4 home game at most grounds to watch every game in the league at a time when they couldnt go to matches. That's where the league's at. It has luke warm support from match goers never mind the general public.

The way the GAA has been marketed in the last decade has been amazing.

The media have bought into the hype surrounding it too, and actively help the GAA push the sport forward.

Considering soccer has more participants in the country, there is no reason why it shouldn't be marketed better. The people are out there, they just need a product sold in a way they want to buy.

the GAA have a nationwide infrastructure extending to every village on the island and it hasn’t happened in the last decade. When I was in national school between 1988-1995 you played soccer in the schoolyard and GAA was when you were seriously competing with other schools and playing in front of your parents….GAA was what mattered.

“participants” is a lot of BS. Ireland is a GAA country. English soccer is the entertainment of choice. Domestic football is the underfunded small time afterthought or nothought. Rte could double or treble their coverage of domestic football. Ultimately the public will just be thinking about who Liverpool, Man Utd or Celtic are playing that weekend.

if the government announced a plan committing a large tranche of capital to the promotion of domestic football then that could do something. If the domestic league had Roy Keane or Robbie Keane joining it as a manager it could gain eyeballs but aside from that….Der Krieg ist verloren.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Sometimes having games on tv is counter productive anyway . Games in Tallaght look good and professional, Derry looks decent , Turners cross when it has a crowd .

But some of the grounds are so ramshackle and crowds so poor during the season that it just adds to the whole amateur Mickey Mouse perception that non fans have of the league .

promotion by clubs and media at local level to get people to a ground and experience the atmosphere , especially young people , will do way more for the league .

when / if the facilities and grounds get better we might have a TV show

On your point about fans not being arsed paying €60, it's a very valid one. There is the elephant in the room on streaming & that is the amount of football fans that have android boxes that will pick up the stream for free. I know more than a few LOI fans that watch the streams on a dodgy box.

Out of interest, with fans returning to grounds fully (hopefully) for next season, would many people on here would purchase a LOITV subscription as it's currently sold? I know I would, have a ST but would purchase it for the away games alone. Plus I love the fact you can watch back something afterward if you want.

I think the production since clubs took over has been of a far superior quality, albeit it with biased commentary (although I don't understand people's problem with this? It's not like they tell you it will be unbiased, it's understood from the start that a home fan is doing the game). I'd hate to have a situation here each club ran their own stream separately & there was no central sub like LOITV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Even as a ST holder and someone who travels to about 25% of away games also I'll definitely pick up an LOITV subscription if its still about in the future, as long as the cost is reasonable its a great way to see the games I cant travel away to. I used to hate waiting on texts/WhatsApp's from mates or livescore for these games so to actually get to watch them is a service I would definitely avail of.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Absolutely want to see LOITV return.

I can't get to as many games as I'd like, and being able to watch them live on stream is fantastic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement