Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

And I'd purport that that should not be permitted

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

QAnon. Anti-vaxxers. Gemma O'Doherty/Dee Wall. All those hate-filled lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Sounds reasonable and workable, but I am not convinced that it will have a net positive effect.

I still think that most conspiracy theorists would be put off by having to do something like this to start off with. Most won't be able to address most of the questions anyway given how current conspiracy theories don't supply answers to them.

And given that none of the people who are complaining and want the forum changed or shut down have even responded to the idea, I think that's an indication of that.

More than likely such a rule will be called "stifling their free speech" and it will be used as an excuse not to engage with anything on the forum.

I think if anything a much more viable solution would just be for stricter moderation with an emphasis on encouraging people not to just ignore questions and responses.

I don't get an answer in a topic regarding conspiracies.

Familiar feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Giving the template a test run (in a hurry here so will be brief)

• Subject (the conspiracy being discussed) - Skripal poisoning
    • Who the conspirators are (outline who "they" are) - Putin, FSB, Chepiga and Mishkin
    • Why the conspirators decided to conspire on this particular subject. - To poison/kill Sergei Skripal an ex spy who was continuing to pass on info to adversaries of Russia
    • How the conspirators will ultimately benefit from the conspiracy. - Maiming/killing the ex-spy sent an obvious message around the world that "traitors" would not be tolerated, they could be hit anywhere and to deter any other would-be leakers
    • Outline how the conspirators failed to keep their plans secret (it's up for discussion here after all) - They were caught on CCTV, travelled under fake names, real identities were discovered, the agent used was exotic and almost unique to Russia, the agent was traced to where these men stayed
    • Outline how the conspiracy will play out if it has not already done so. - It played out
    • Give as much reasonable evidence as possible (in fact a scale of probability could be applied to each topic by mods related to how grounded or outlandish the topic at hand may be). - CCTV, route the men took, their stay in UK, double confirmation of nerve agent, investigators uncovering their identities as GRU agents, contradicting TV interview endorsed by Putin
    • Give a short list of both Pro's and Con's relating to the subject at hand (outlining what the theory should be taken seriously and also showing an understanding of why it might not be). - Should be taken seriously, high probability of being true, no other theory exists, Russia has been implicated in these types of attacks before

That didn't take much time, points 5 and 7 are quite similar, could probably be merged a bit

I can try it later to see if it's possible to "troll" it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

:D :D

Much bigger threats to society than those loons, perhaps even more hate filled, but they "fit the narrative" so it's all grand...

I don't think anyone is claiming that Gemma O'Doherty is a bigger threat than - say - climate change. But we've seen the danger of QAnon and other conspiracy lunatics playing out in real life. You can probably add in the Incel movement, and of course radical Islam is facilitated by the reach and validation afforded by the internet and social media.

Not sure if that fits your narrative, but it's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I would argue that the media make some things look worse than they were, take the "insurrection" so a bunch of lads marched on the capitol , thrashed some offices and an unarmed woman who was with these guys got shot dead by the cops.

Bad - but what BLM were doing every day for the previous 6/7 months was way worse.

How much courthouses/shops/small businesses were destroyed in these "mostly peaceful" protests ???

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

much bigger threats than anti-vaxxers? than the loon who took a very sick old man out of hospital? people who are actively affecting the health of others? have a word with yourself.

• Advertisement

To me this kinda post doesn't seem like it would promote much discussion. It doesn't feel like it leaves any openings for people to respond to it and seems more like a summary of a broad topic rather than a specific point.

Maybe a better way to do it would be something like this:

"There's something that always bothered me about the 9/11 official story. I saw a video where Larry Silverstien said he ordered the demolition of WTC7, yet people don't seem to realise this.

The conspiracy goes like this:

"Who the conspirators are (outline who "they" are) - Larry Silverstien and elements of the US government.

Why the conspirators decided to conspire on this particular subject. - For Silverstien himself, insurance money.

How the conspirators will ultimately benefit from the conspiracy. - (same)

Outline how the conspirators failed to keep their plans secret (it's up for discussion here after all) - He admitted it on camera

Outline how the conspiracy will play out if it has not already done so. - It played out, but it's also being covered up.

Give as much reasonable evidence as possible (in fact a scale of probability could be applied to each topic by mods related to how grounded or outlandish the topic at hand may be). - {Link to video of the infamous quote} He says it here at {time}.

Give a short list of both Pro's and Con's relating to the subject at hand (outlining what the theory should be taken seriously and also showing an understanding of why it might not be). - The video evidence is clear, but I can't explain why he confessed on camera.

Are there any other explanations for what he said? Can anyone think of a good reason why he would say it?"

here i think the premable narrows down the topic to a specific subject and I specifically ask for responses to open up discussions.

I think a post like this would absolutely lead to better discussions.

But on the other hand I felt like sticking to a specific list limited what I could write and express and has a lot of redundancies.

One thought that occurs is rather than a list of points to fill out in order, there could be a rule or even just a note in the charter that states something like "When introducting a conspiracy theory topic, you should explain X, Y and Z. If you don't have answers to those, that's ok. Just say so to make things clear."

Then as long as the post actually contains these things in some way and at some point, it's good to go.

The X, Y and Z could be like "Who's behind it" "what's the goal of the conspiracy" or "how does this fit into a conspiracy theory version of events."

I think this kinda format would be more flexible, easier and asking much less up front.

Well it's nice to see you out your agenda, fair play to you. You are a reactionary. It's good to know where we stand I suppose.

To your question, how many courthouses did BLM destroy? Should be pretty easy to discover. Perhaps then we could discuss whether protests against racial injustice in the US (which actually happens) is more valid than protests against a global cabal of sinister child-blood consuming satanists (which is probably not happening).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• I don't think the template is too long. It covers the basics and as adults we should all be able to work within a simple standard without it being too taxing.
    • If somebody isn't able to fill in the fields, then we don't end up with half baked theories clogging up the forum. Surely this is a positive.
    • Natural discussion as you call it is not working in the CT forum. I can go into detail if you really wish but suffice to say the majority of threads are rehashing old personal beefs which makes the forum a closed shop and not to mention a mess.
    • Conspiracy theorists don't want to answer certain questions? Nobody can force anyone to answer anything. The logic behind the template is to give at least some structure beyond "I think this is a thing therefore it is".
    • If the template is enforced it is enforced. To say it doesn't have to be used in every thread is nonsensical. You can't ignore standards in real life. For instance you can't go off and build a house without adhering to standards, there's a reason they exist.
    • As to whether a conspiracy theory is valid or not. All we can do is attempt to ascertain that through first the template and second discussion.

I feel like all these points have been addressed previously. You saying I need to answer them in this fashion feels a little odd if I'm honest.

And as for needing to chase me down? This isn't a workplace, I'm not being paid to be here and I certainly don't answer to you.

I find it strange that you feel so strongly about holding conspiracy theorists to a higher standard but when a simple system is proposed to do just that you contort yourself so wildly to find reasons why it shouldn't be implemented.

The template I proposed is only one aspect of the changes I feel are required. Your attitude above in demanding things in such a forceful manner is a case in point of your need to examine your shall we say bedside manner. Rule number one on boards; don't be a dick.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Another CT classic.

You haven't actually denied that they are dangerous. In fact, you've confirmed it and even called them "loons".

But there are bigger threats, so it's grand! 😂

°°°°°

Do you have any suggestions to improve the CT forum?

Glazers Out!

Yes.

I think that if someone is putting forward a "theory" on the forum, they should be required to answer questions if questions are put to them.

The idea that CTers should be able to say anything they want on any subject without being questioned is laughable.

odd you didnt say that to the person who originally mentioned BLM.

Also odd that the poster who mentioned BLM dismissed the threat of QAnon, O'Doherty etc as "loons" and "There are bigger threats"

But put forward an argument against BLM, without applying the same logic.

The irony of that poster then claiming others have a "narrative" is, i'm sure, completely lost on them.

But hey, if they get a forum where nobody can question them, then this won't be a problem, right?

°°°°°

Yeah, it's a conspiracy. Thanks for your input.

As it happens any chat here that doesn't relate to the topic at hand is a waste of time. Including this.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

°°°°°

Nobody has put forward a cohesive argument that the forum would change it that manner. But by all means be offended.

Glazers Out!

You're right. I don't think that the length is too long for people wanting to put effort into a discussion and I personally would have no issue answering those points. But I think that the majority of conspiracy theorist wouldn't agree though. This is evidenced by how none of the people complaining have addressed your suggestion at all.

Do you think that the majority of conspiracy theorists on the forum would be happy with it's length?

The rest of your points seem to be suggesting that if a conspiracy theorist isn't able to answer the points in the template, then the theory would be viewed as invalid and the thread wouldn't be allowed to be posted, correct?

As for other topics, there's a lot that can be posted on the conspiracy forum that don't require this template as the specifics of a conspiracy theory aren't being discussed. For example, the thread about the conspiracy theory podcast. There could be other such examples, but I can't think of any off hand.

I'm not contorting. I'm simply raising realistic issues that I see. I've made some suggestions myself.

And honestly man, the constant jabs and insults, only to jump to the high ground the moment anyone dares to be anything other that perfectly polite is getting a bit old and it's undermining your position.

nobody has put forward a cohesive argument for the charter to reverted. that is what the discussion is about.

°°°°°

If people can't meet a minimum standard with their post then no thread. Seems fair.

As for jabs etc, neither of us are boy scouts in that regard. Can you accept that you can come across as abrasive at times?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

No one has even answered the simple question “what are the benefits of reverting to the 2015 charter?”

Change needs to be sold to people and identifying the benefits is a major part of selling change.

No conspiracy, just good old fashioned bias.

And this is what it comes down to. A swathe of posters exist who have biases and political leanings who want to be able to blatantly make things up in order to reinforce those beliefs and to preach to others who to do the same.

When these "theories" are put under the microscope they are shown to be nonsense.

All these people want is to be able to spout false information in order to push their own political, racial and ideological ideas without being questioned in any way.

Is this too much to ask?

°°°°°

The discussion is that something needs to be done about the CT forum. The charter issue is one aspect of what the thread has become.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement