Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, I actually can't enjoy watching him play these days for that reason. A bit like seeing Ferris return briefly years ago after his ankle trouble, I was just waiting for things to come apart again. Leavy's injury was up there with POC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Leinster do tend to be weird with injury updates but I'm expect that no mention of JOB or Byrne or ROL mean they're available for selection

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah, yet they weren’t involved vs Harlequins either making it impossible to know really. Although I don’t really care. I’m going to a live rugby game for the first time since the Cheetahs game over 19 months ago. I can’t fecking wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I see Harry Byrne is out with a foot injury.

It's actually becoming quite worrying just how injury prone he is.

I was hoping he'd stay fit this season...not off to a great start.

I think with Porter moving to loosehead they'll want him getting plenty of time before the season proper kicks off so I expect him to play early and often.

Ringrose and Lowe had the Summer off so will be hunting for minutes. What's the situation with Ryan - is he still recovering or available?

Pity Kearney got injured, his form last season was impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Porter

Kelleher

Furlong

Baird

Ryan

Doris

Leavy

Conan

Gibson Park

Sexton

Lowe

Henshaw

Ringrose

Larmour

Keenan

Healy

Sheehan

Alaalatoa

Molony / Toner / Dunne / Murphy

Penny / Deegan / VDF / Connors / Ruddock

McGrath

Byrne(s)

Take your pick

The bolded players in the first 15 are those I think are likely to start for Ireland if fit. If Lowe can up his defensive game and get himself mentally to the pitch of international rugby he'll drift back into that category. Leavy, Connors and VDF are all potential Irish starters which makes that interesting - but a fully fit Leavy takes pole position for me.

Larmour and Gibson park likely to be involved from the bench.

So that's a very, very international looking all fit starting 15.

Bench front row is also looking good. Sheehan probably going to get the nod over Tracy / Cronin this season albeit Tracy may want to have a say in that matter. Second row we really need someone to step in and be this seasons Scott Fardy or just add energy, impetus and good decision making - either or.

Back row we're just stacked. So much talent it's hard to credit.

McGrath and either Byrne shore things up nicely and we've plenty to pick from the back three.

Injuries are part of the game - but that starting 15 really is something and not many teams would live with us at all.

Looking forward to the game on Saturday, first time back at a game since pre covid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think a potentially much more potent centre combo would be 12. Conor O'Brien, 13. Henshaw. Henshaw would be in the position where more of his attacking ability comes out, and O'Brien has far more awareness of how to create space for others or put others in space than Ringrose has.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I didn’t realize how much I needed a good laugh today till I read that. Thanks.

I don't think what I said is particularly controversial. Probably most people would agree you see more attacking ability from Henshaw when he plays outside centre. He's an excellent if slightly staid 12. The Henshaw, Ringrose partnership is fairly uninspiring in terms of creativity.

Conor O'Brien has demonstrated more understanding of how to put others in space than Ringrose, for me. There's more instinctive understanding of timing passes and what lines to run to commit defenders. It's hardly surprising given he played a lot of outhalf coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd wager you see more attacking ability from every centre when they play outside centre by dint of the extra space/time they are generally afforded.

When has COB played against a top level team and demonstrated this ability? You have been banging on about COB being the new messiah for 3 years now. Admittedly he’s been injured for most of the last 2. He is yet to start against a decent team though. Maybe when he does, we can assess his ability to displace Ringrose. On form Ringrose is still a better 13 than Henshaw and Henshaw is a way better 12 than COB.

Is it only three years? I'd have thought it would have been longer than that. I didn't say COB/Henshaw is definitively a better partnership overall. It probably wouldn't be as sound defensively, but I do think it would leave defenders having to make more decisions. It's something I'd like to see in league games and build from there.

Until we see him do that against a top quality defense it’s impossible to say he’s more creative. Comparing what someone does against Dragons, as opposed to Saracens or La Rochelle is pointless. Maybe we will see that this season, if he gets some gametime and forces himself into contention. That hasn’t happened yet though. It’s not even close as things stand for a big game. Not too sure how many league games Henshaw will play to test the combo either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭hold my beer

One of my 2 supporter packs got delivered this morning, after getting the fee notifications last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I think this could be right. Look at the lions and the way midfield is going. Aussies had korebeti in there. NZ playing Ione over lienhert brown. Big physical players suit the game in its current rule interpretation. I wonder could ringrose shift to wing.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,785 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Korebeti doesnt play centre. They have ikatau there for the last two games who is much more similar to ringrose.

Id have to question whether anyone who thinks rieko ioane is "a big physical" center has ever seen him play???.

Hes a reformed winger. He wont bust a line break, he uses his feet and rapid speed to break the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Ehh Koroibete has never played centre for Australia and ALB is way more physical than Ioane. Ioane looks to go on the outside or use footwork because he's really a winger.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Reiko Ioane is listed at 105kg, 10 more than ALB.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Denis Leamy has replaced Hugh Hogan as contact skills coach for senior team.

• Advertisement

Meant kerevi not korobeti

Ione is a physical presence midfield more than some of their options.

Point is ringrose/slade types aren't appearing as valuable on the world stage right now.

I think irish fans are regularly guilty of over rating our own. Ringrose has looked brilliant at times but last year he wasn't at that level

Ioane has 15kg on ringrose. Obviously tons of gas too but he's certainly a physical presence

Pointing to rieko ioane as a physical centre competely undermines the point your trying to make.

Anyone with even a passing interest in kiwi rugby can tell you that ALB is a much more physical based player than ioane

Their respective SR squads have 5 kgs and 3cms between them...with ALB being the stockier type player and ioane being the rangy speed demon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ringrose was hampered by injuries! He missed significant time last season. C.O.B has barely featured and is injury prone. He's yet to play against top level sides and there's other lads nipping at his heels.

Henshaw is our most physical center. I would take a look at Ringrose at 12 and Henshaw at 13. I think Frawley is also worth a look!

Jamie Osborne? Anybody?

So henshaw 6'1 15 stone a physical center

Ioane 6'2 16 and a half stone not a physical center

?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Devin Toner is 6'10 and 120kg

Fineen Whycherley is 6'4 and 110kg.

Which is generally considered the more physical, abrasive player?

POM is 6'3 and 107kg ; Ardie Savea is 6'3 and 99kg.

Which is generally considered the more physical, abrasive player.

Physical attributes and playing style are not 1 and 1.

Ollie lawerence is 5' 11" and 100kg

Gael ficou is 6' 3" and the same weight

Which do you think is the more physical and abrasive player and which of them plays with more finesse and style?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm 5'9 and 16 stone. I'd obviously make a deadly physical yet elusive centre.

That's my take from this chat.

Advertisement