Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,886 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You made a number of statements there, I'm not sure what the question at the end relates to.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Yes. I said it's one aspect of what the thread has BECOME.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Yup. Conspiracy theorists however like to blow up any and all abrasiveness regardless of how slight into "abuse" and "sneering" etc.

Being abrasive is not against the rules, and I feel no need to change my posting style to coddle some posters who have attacked me personally.

Now, you've dodged questions again.

I asked you if you believe that the conspiracy theorists on the forum would agree with your assessment that your template isn't too long.

I don't think they'd agree and this is evidenced by the fact none of them have even acknowledged the suggestion in the first place. And as you've said, they are being genuine, so it can't be that they just aren't willing to engage in real discussion.

Similarly I don't think they'd agree with your stance that theories that don't met the standard set out by your template should be banned.

I don't agree with it either. As I stated before, I think that completely unfounded and unevidenced theories would be perfectly fine as long as posters are honest about that. If they answer the template and aren't able to provide anything it asks, I don't see a problem with them still posting with that understanding and also understanding that this means a lot of people will rightly not accept the conspiracy theory as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'd guess that his point is it's a bit of fun forum or just an exploration of the widest ideas.

Even Priests come down from the pulpit and have been known to enjoy themselves at times.

Some people just need to stop taking themselves so serious.

The sort of people who would go to the joke forum and start saying that "makes no sense, explain yourself"etc etc.

So are we back to the idea that conspiracy theories are all just madey uppy for fun?

It kinda seems like they flick back and forth between serious business and just for a goof when it suits.

Sometimes they're "speaking truth to power like Rosa Parks" as one theorist described them recently when defending them. Then when people say that they should be held to standards and treated seriously, suddenly they're being compared to cheap gags in a joke shop.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Well your posting style isn't optimal, you come across poorly, if you feel that's your right, fine but people also have to right to comment. You don't care if people are offended by your posting style but you piss and moan about personal attacks at every opportunity. You can't have it both ways, so until you change you can expect people to comment on that issue.

I dodged none of your questions. I answered them all in sequence. Whether conspiracy believers want to agree with my proposal or not is up to them. I can say with confidence that my proposal about the template has been unpopular with most people on both sides as well as my suggestion that the conduct of posters be more closely monitored and policed.

This thread has been going for twenty odd pages and there's still no sign of a consensus on how the forum could improve. Instead it's gotten bogged down in demands like what you've put forward above, I've answered all your questions multiple times but you continue to say I'm dodging them or refusing to give you answers. It difficult to see how you could possibly be happy with any answer given to you about anything. And the template serves to reduce in no small part that element of the forum, where the type of demands you're putting forward consistently are no longer required. As I have said previously the removal of that element seems to irk you more than anything else.

Glazers Out!

Lol. I[m pissing and moaning about personal attacks? Do you see what I mean about how anything I say is blown of of proportion?

And yes dude, you dodged the question.

I asked you a question you did not answer it when you replied. That's how dodging works.

The question I asked was:

Do you think that the majority of conspiracy theorists on the forum would be happy with it's length?

Here is your post:

Where in those 3 sentences did you answer the question I asked?

°°°°°

Here's a detailed list of replies to all your questions. Perhaps you missed it earlier.

Will Conspiracy theorists think it's too long? Who knows. Some may, some may not.

To use your terminology, that super import question has been answered.

Glazers Out!

Yes. That is a reply before the question I asked you. I asked the question after that post.

No where in that post is an answer to my question either.

Where did you answer my question?

The question again is: "Do you think that the majority of conspiracy theorists on the forum would be happy with it's length?"

°°°°°

I don't care who is happy with it and further to that I can't tell if they will be or not.

You have suggested they wouldn't be. Maybe you're right, maybe not. It isn't that big a deal one way or the other even if you want to attempt to make it so.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

It's like arguing with a child.

I have stated that the length of the template is reasonable. If people (on either side) aren't happy about it that's their problem.

I addressed this point on multiple occasions. If I didn't answer in the way YOU WANT me to that's too bad. I didn't not lie about addressing that issue, it was addressed repeatedly.

You are being belligerent and argumentative for no good reason.

Stop trying to take the moral high ground and please for the love of God at least attempt to develop some sort of humility.

I will agree with you on one thing, this exchange is very much emblematic of the problems with the CT forum. Your attitude is a major problem for that forum and this exchange displays that vividly.

In the end you don't feel any changes are required on the CT forum. Can we agree on that?

Glazers Out!

No man, you dodged the question.

I didn't ask you if you believed it was a problem. I didn't ask if you cared if people were happy. I asked you if you believed that others would agree with you.

The question was simple and clear and direct. You still didn't answer it. You dodged it. Then when I pointed out you dodged it, you lied and claimed to have answered it. You then gave some very different answers to the ones you claimed were answers after the fact.

And no, I think that if there were stronger rules to prevent the constant dodging of points like you just demonstrated and similar dishonest tactics, the forum would be improved immensely.

But as we've seen no conspiracy theorists are actually interested in honest discussion. Neither are you.

They are just looking for a safe space where they don't have to use dishonest tactics to avoid questions about their beliefs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I generally leave CTists alone, but when it impacts the health and safety of others (pandemic theories), I will 100% question them.

°°°°°

I don't know if others will agree with me. I don't care if they think the template is too long or if they're happy about it or not. All those answers essentially mean the same thing. I didn't dodge anything.

Prove that I'm not interested in honest discussion. With facts, not your opinion or your interpretation of an answer.

To use your logic you dodged the point I made about you not wanting any changes to the CT forum. Could you please clarify?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Good retort.

Another example of not actually refuting what is being said, and completely dodging the content of the post.

No wonder you want a safe space!

°°°°°

Demonstrate how I am seeking a safe space please.

Also I asked a reasonable question. What were you asking at the end of your previous post?

Glazers Out!

Simple. You aren't interested in honest discussion because you keep dodging points and questions.

And no man, those statements do not all mean the same thing.

°°°°°

I will happily demonstrate how you are seeking a safe place after you yourself stop dodging points and questions.

°°°°°

So until I satisfy Kingmob you won't answer my question?

Again, demonstrate how I want a safe space. Show me one post where I have advocated for that.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I think a template is a possible step in the right direction.

What shape it takes is up to discussion of it. Often times the poster can't explain what the conspiracy is, which naturally leads to more questions from other posters, it would definitely help with that.

°°°°°

It's not just King Mob, although you're finally admitting that you are doing what you are suspected of doing.

You can't expect to ignore entire points, pick and chose your own and not engage in honest discussion and then demand that everyone else answer your queries. Constant whack-a-mole tactics and moving the goalposts.

Only a few posts ago you were trying to move the goalposts by minimising the subject of changing the CT Forum charter......... the very subject of the OP 😂

°°°°°

I already stated on a number of occasions that reverting to the 2015 charter is not something I support. I advocated for a new charter.

I haven't admitted anything incidentally (not sure how you can say that with a straight face).

I addressed the point Kingmob made on a number of occasions. Because I didn't answer his question in the way he wanted me to does not mean I was ignoring the point.

You are making claims that have no basis in reality. You clearly haven't been following the thread very closely and have missed a lot of posts that refute claims you are making about me.

Show me once where I have moved the goalposts please. I have addressed all questions put to me in detail, if that doesn't satisfy you I'm not sure what else I can do.

Yet again, more childish nonsense accusing someone of things they never said punctuated with emojis. Like arguing with a surly teenager.

Glazers Out!

Simple. Whether or not you care is different information than whether or not you believe they agree.

The question was not about whether you care. The question was about if they agree with your position.

I was asking because the probable answer is that most conspiracy theorists won't agree with your position that the list is fair. Thus, your suggestion would not promote discussion because it would stop those people from posting.

My suggestion is that rather than a set numbered list that people have to fill out, we would have a rule/suggestion that certain points be covered in the course of a normally written post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That would my thinking too.

It places an onus on the OP to elucidate their thinking and what evidence or inference they are seeking to rely on in their promulgating their particular theory.

It heads off(or at least would hopefully) the who, what, where, why and how questions and would shift the questions to the reliability of evidence and the veracity of it.

It's far simpler to debate the quality of evidence and inferences that can be drawn from it. It places an immediate burden of at least supporting the OPs position upon them and shifts the debate from the motivations and political leanings of a CT OP, to their actual evidence and support.

°°°°°

Like I said, splitting hairs, the differences are marginal.

I proposed a rational template to improve the standard of discussion on the forum.

You believe it will stop a lot of people posting poorly thought out theories. How is that a bad thing? Do you want MORE bad theories and useless threads?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement