Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kind of.. though this is still an actually competitive game in a competition it’d be nice to see the fringe players progress in, so I think a balance should be found. Though I’d be grand with your lineup of those 3 up front (Tak, Div, Kaide) to start, with a few of the lads on the bench for 30 minutes if needed.

Last seasons was a read rubber competitively - the only benefit to winning was the financial reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lets not play anyone in case they get injured and sign another 20 players to cover those who we don't want to get injured but aren't playing in case they get injured.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game.

Elliott was looking like a fine replacement for Gini till he got injured If the club had signed someone as a replacement for Gini in the summer that would have stunted Elliott's path to first team football or Jones path Liverpool are not Man City or Chelsea they can't afford two world class players for every position that is why they are prepared to give young talent a chance.

Fab, Hendo, Ox, Jones, Keita, Milner, Elliott, Thiago that is 8 players vying for 3 spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

True but two of the 8 are injured already,

One can't play because he played on Saturday and is nearly my age,

One is OX ,

So that leaves us 4 , So 3 starters 1 sub remember lads tire & some have bad days so not much room to change things up,,

Also Hendo , Fab ,Naby will all each miss at least a month with injury & that's being kind

Im joking ..................Kind of

Pep said Kelleher will start tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

if we only play the kids and ox,divock,kostas..im good with it,tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Yes but he has 3 goals from about 30 attempts in those games. When he used to be so clinical. He used to be able to take a touch and waltz past players like they werent there and score wonder goals, these days he is finding it hard just to control the football never mind the rest. I love Mane but he is a shadow of the player we had between 2017 and early 2020. Really really hope he gets his form back, remember all those retired African footballers that said Mane was the best player in the world a few years back?...well, nobody thinks that anymore unfortunately.

Yeah that was the other thing about Mane, he was a clutch player very often producing goals when we needed them the most. I truly hope he gets back to being that player again but I just cant see it happening now after 18 months or so of poor form.

He's got 5 in his last 6 Prem games should be 6 but for a hand ball on the line ( i used the last game of last season in there) ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Poor form, man you have high standards. I'd be worried if he wasn't getting loads of chances but he is. I think he's defo over thinking some of his chances, his finishing is not on instinct at the moment but that will come the more he scores. Mo misses plenty of chances too, its frustrating when any of them do it. Indeed all our forwards do but luckily we are creating a shed load of them so they take enough of them to matter.

Absolutely no worries about him at all.

• Advertisement

Bang on

I notice all of his goals this season have been from max 2 touches,

If he takes anymore he seems to miss,

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

If anyone is to be worried about from our attack then its Jota.

Missing some big chances and his all round play has been poor.

Can easily see bobby taking back his place when fit.

He really could have done with that chance going in the weekend.

He may actually start tomorrow just to try get him a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think City would have won a Champions League in last 5 years if they didn't win 50 Pepsi Cola Cups . I think one effects the other, regardless of who they play, the manager and staff, and those who do play feel the effect.

I mean that CL team Pep put out in CL Final had a tired mind written all over it

''Let me see, I'll play De Bruyne as a no 9, and play Foden on the left of the midfield, and Sterling in goal, yea that's what I'll do for the first time ever, lets place everyone out of position''

Yeah 100%. He defo needs a goal and a bad miss like that one won't help at all. Defo think Bobby comes in at the weekend if he's fit to start.

Come on guys, seriously? He has trouble controlling the ball half the time these days. Sure he has 5 in his last 6 but peak mane would probably have about 10 in his last 6 with the amount of chances he has had and the amount of times he has been in on goal only to fall over himself or the ball. I'm not having a go at Mane here, I love Mane. I personally think he was in the top 3 players in the world for the golden 2 or 3 year period but only said top 10 to avoid push back on that.

I've watched every Liverpool game bar 3 or 4 a season since Klopp came in (similar beforehand too tbh) and the difference between Mane now and Mane 2/3 years ago is stark. If you guys are saying you see no difference then fine, good for you and please send me a pair of those rose tinted glasses you wear whilst watching our matches. My set broke after that Macheda goal against Villa over ten years ago.

And it's been too long now to just still be calling it a blip. Something is seriously up with him the past 2 years or so. He used to play with such joy and freedom, I havent seen that from him in a very long time.

• Advertisement

Take a look at that video of Mane's 100 goals for us. See how many of those goals are unbelievably clinical and cool finishes like dinks over the keeper and rockets into the top corner with his LEFT foot etc and how he glides past players like they are not there...you can't seriously be telling me you guys are still seeing that same player in Mane each week for the past year or so. These days you could start a drinking game where you take a drink each time Mane is in on goal and should be finishing or passing to a team mate for an easy finish but just falls over himself instead and you would be hammered by full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think Mane is just suffering from a little lack of confidence. It happens to the best, but if he gets his confidence back you will see him score the same goals and play with the same flair he did before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I think he's looking sharper in recent weeks, hopefully he's turned the corner and will return to his 2019 form.

In 2019 he was the best player in Europe, absolutely fantastic, and did the business in all the big games. We wouldn't have been champions of Europe in 2019/20 without him.

That's weird cos we weren't champions of Europe in 2019/20 but we had him. 😉

Listen, if you go back through my posts you will notice me saying almost exactly what you said in this post word for word just a few weeks ago. And I agree with Enzokk when he says Mane is just suffering from a crisis of confidence but the problem is that this has been going on for about 18 months now, coincidentally around when fans were banned from games. I'm hopeful that we can get that player back cos he really was one of the best in Europe, if not the best, for a year or so and he was the man for the big occasions too and was absolutely vital in our Champion's league and league successes.

All I'm saying is that he hasnt been that player for about 18 months or so and I don't really see how anyone can argue that point tbh, it's plain for everyone to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think it's confidence too. He's over thinking what's happening - maybe he's actually getting into too good a position and has too much time!

To be honest, when I think of a typical Mane finish, I think of him sliding in back post or running onto a through ball and shinning the ball into the net, or hitting the ball into the ground with a scuffed shot. I've a mental image of Mane picking himself off the ground with a big beaming smile because he just scored while ending up flat on the floor. It was instinctive. He just knew where the ball was and where it needed to go. Because he was hitting the ball at pace and in the right area and aiming towards the right area of the goal, he was scoring. He just put the ball into the back of the net somehow, nearly always with his first touch, and it just felt instinctive.

Whereas now I think he is taking an extra touch to set himself as he is not confident in hitting the ball first time. He doesn't back himself to score. He's getting chances now but he's taking a touch and then faking a shot before turning back and then shifting the ball back to his other foot again and by then the instinctiveness of the chance has gone and the opposition defence has had time to reset or get bodies back blocking the shot line.

He's getting into the right positions, he just needs to go back to basics and start firing them shots on target. Easier said than done, I know!

• Advertisement

Reading there that Milner has taken Kaide Gordon under his wing in training.

Really excited to see if he gets game time tomorrow.

I also wonder will  Musiałowski get in the squad for tomorrow.

Theres a big difference in saying, as most people are, that Mane isn't at his best but is still producing the goods well enough, to saying he's finished and is a pale shadow of himself. Which is rubbish. Sorry mormank. Incidently heres a good graphic I saw earlier regarding all our shot metrics. We take alot of shots every season, much more than usual this season but the goal output is still the same as our best season. We're even underperforming going by our xG so room to improve for all of the forwards.

Granted its still early doors but nothing to worry about yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Too often clubs train the individualism out of players

'' ya can't do that !!''

Pele is like

'' yes I can''

We have some very exciting players, it's important they are mentally tough enough do stick to their individualism .We have players in the youth team that will travel with the ball from one end of the pitch to the other, and slide it calming into the net, but in the first team they'll get it and be told, pass it wide!!!

I already have noticed several times I thought Elliott could have gone it alone, but he passed it to Salah.

I never said he was finished. I simply said he has been out of form for 18 months, which is true. To say anything else is just fantasy. Go take a look at that video of his 100 goals and tell me the player we have seen for the last 18 months as we see in the first 80% of that video.

You don't think he can get back to the player he was after apparently being in poor form for 18 months. That's the same as you think he's finished in my book. He's not in poor form but he's defo not in peak form either but all the signs are there that he's heading in the right direction. He has the highest xG of any player in the league. He just needs to fine tune his output from that xG and he'll be scoring shed loads.

Whether he can do that none of us know but I personally am not of the same opinion that he can't.

Manes all round game looks fine again look at the amount of chances he is creating for himself, , its just confidence in front of goal at the minute,

As i said its obvious when you see all his goals have been with 1 or 2 touches meaning he has no time to think , He is messing up when he has time,

He needs to score cleanly from a one on one or beat a player and score and all of a sudden he will be back to his best,

Mane has been excellent this season. I must be watching a different team. Looks very fit and involved.

Could he have scored more? Yes.

However, he's looking incredibly dangerous. No worries about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's looking like there is a big onus on set piece shots this season - creating real chances from set piece scenarios, and not just from the direct set piece but the second balls also. The number of corners has increased a lot this season, and so has the number of shots taken from set pieces has increased an awful lot too.

Last season, the average number of corners taken per game was just under 7. This season we have seen 11,8,12,11,15,10. Every game so far has comfortably last season's average. This season's average is over 10 per game. Now this could be down to a number of factors - having VVD & Matip back in the starting line is obviously a massive contributing factor. We saw a few times last season in the last minute that the players were reluctant to put balls into the box and instead took short corners and full time blew up while they were messing about. Maybe the players were instructed to not try and win corners, whereas this season they are? They now have players to aim for. VVD just creates chaos. Salah's goals against both Norwich & Palace came from this where everyone becomes gravitated towards VVD and leaves Salah in space. VVD automatically creates an issue that at least 1 or 2 defenders have to worry about. Matip too. This disruption is creating space for others.

In some games, it's been like Liverpool are either happy to lose the initial duel, or are just quicker to continue the action and re-create another chance from the second ball. Fabinho's goal against Leeds for example, Henderson v Milan another. Fabinho doesn't usually go into the box for set pieces, but he did against Leeds. So that would strike me as a pre-planned tactic for that specific game and that they targeted a weakness in Leeds set up, which is good to see that those small details are being looked into.

Liverpool are the highest scorer of set piece goals in the league, but are head and shoulders above the rest in taking shots from set pieces. It's all well and good winning set pieces, but actually making those worthwhile and getting shots away is even better. They are winning the most corners, taking the most shots from set pieces, also taking the most shots and are one goal away from being the top scorers in the league. It all seems a bit planned. There was a new member of the backroom staff brought in during the summer to directly help in this area too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Ah FFS, now that it's been highlighted teams will try to stop conceding corners to us! 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

The sheer number of shots being attempted may be part of the plan. Whereas previously they would recycle possession, now they take a few more shots with the plan being to generate more corners.

• Advertisement

I wonder will Phillips get a game tonight.

I reckon Gomez & Konate start but he could play Gomez RB if we are short,

Kelleher ,Tsimakas ,Gomez,Konate,Phillips, Jones, Ox, Origi, Takki, Gordon , that's 10 but its missing someone to play in the 6 role ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I think Mane suffered during lockdown more than others who have families and friends to lean on. His mosque was closed and perhaps he had a touch of isolation, crazy to say about a rich footballer I know. Or maybe he just needs the ride. Hope he finds that carefree attitude which saw him posing for selfie with pitch invader at lansdowne Road a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

And if that happens, that’ll create more spaces to cross the ball into and keepers palming the ball back into dangerous areas

It’s win-win for Liverpool. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

You have to wonder if we get badly short in midfield, would there be a temptation to change formation or play Matip as a No.6?

PS -How have Matip and Keita kept it together so far physically?

Didn't we bring in a new guy over the medical department in January , Probably didn't have enough time to work with them last season ,

Also Naby & Matip tend to always struggle in the winter time with injury, possible due to the ground ,In January the new head of the medical department said Naby leg's where not strong enough for soft ground or something along them lines

Ok whatever you say sir. You're right, Mane is just as good the last 18 months as he was for the previous 2 years when he was one of the 3 best players on the planet. You are right Mane is currently one of the top 3 players in world football..sure he is...😒

The funny thing is what I'm saying isnt all that contreversial and any neutral fan or any fan with eyes will back me up with what im saying. All Im saying is he hasnt been as good the last 18 months as the previous few years when he was literally one of the best players in the world which you agree with but then say I'm wrong with the same breath. Crikey, make up your mind will ya. Is mane currently one of the 3 best players on the planet or is he not? if he is not then I am correct. If you think he is then good luck to ya buddy.

I also never said he cant get back to his best. Stop putting words in my mouth. All Im saying is Mane hasnt been "peak Mane" for about 18 months. If you cant see that then there is no point chatting about it. It's blatantly obvious. It's not even controversial in any way shape or form.

Also "He has the highest xg" just means he has missed the most chances. I remeber when missing easy chances in football was a bad thing but since they invented XG now its a good thing apparantly cos at least his XG goes up when he misses easy chances. Pull the other one...

In a totally unrelated subject, would you like to buy some snake oil by any chance?

I think we all know he hasn't been at his very best but he has also scored 5 goal in his last 6 Prem games (6 if not for a handball) while still creating chances so nobody is that worried about him ,

• Advertisement

18 months feels a fair bit over the top... he was perhaps our best player in 19/20, and certainly right up there with Salah (remember Carra absolutely fawning over Sadio on trophy presentation day?), and started last season on fire with 4 in his first 4. Then got Covid during the international break and never really came back from that. So it's really since last November that his form has dropped off. He already looks markedly improved on last season when he'd stopped even trying things, instead turning back more often than not. Right now he's back looking sharp - just lacking a bit of finese in his finishing (while still scoring).

18 months would be fair to say of Bobby, but not Mane imo.

G doesnt seem to know it. That is all im saying and he is arguing with me so could someone tell him please.

OK that is just splitting hairs tbh. Mane hasnt been at his best for 18 months or Mane hasnt been at his best for 12 months are basically the same point. He has been out of form for a very long time, much longer than a usual blip players might have during a season or whatever.

I'm well aware he is still scoring goals, I have him in my fan team team since week 1 this season, which I wouldn't have if I didnt think he was still capable of scoring and he is currently the second highest points scorer in fan team after Salah. I get all this, however it can be true that has scored 5 goals in 6 games whilst also being true that he has not been at his best. They are not mutually exclusive.

The only reason I'm getting any pushback at all here is because G has been putting words in my mouth, I never said Mane was finished as a player, I never said he was a bad player even...all I said is that he hasnt been at his best for a very long time which everybody so far has agreed with and yet are still calling me out as being wrong despite all of ye, including G himself, agreeing with me.

Mane hasnt been at his best for over a year (is what I'm saying)....Now does anyone disagree with this??

Nah, didnt think so.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Ox, Minamino & Origi need to show they have something to offer now.

I mean, my point was it’s been less than a year…

like, it might seem like splitting hairs, but IMO there’s a pretty big distinction between one bad season under understandable circumstances, and a prolonged 2 season drop. Once someone has two bad years they’re generally done. But we’ve often seen players have one bad season and come back at the top level. The latter looks more the case to me with Mane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Happy with that team, want to win but will shrug my shoulders if we lose. Looking forward to seeing Gordon, who has apparently impressed a lot.

Tyler Morton is a local kid from the Wirral, there will be a big cheer if he gets game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I just looked at "The End of The Storm" doco for the first time last night and it was sad to hear Mane talk about not having a wife or partner and not been able to see his family during lockdown. It must have been very lonely for him....was also sad to hear Klopp talk about how much his mam meant to him and she has sadly passed since the doco came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is this on TV tonight?

Edit: Sky Sports 1.

Sure, agreed. However my original point was simply that Mane has been poor for a long time, not that he is finished as a player so your distinction is correct but has nothing to do with what I was saying which was simply he has been poor by his own standards for a very long time, not just a few game blip.

But now that you mention it, I would argue that he has actually been poor since pretty much "Project Restart" when we started playing with no crowds but again since my point is simply that he has been poor for a long time and NOT that he is finished as a player it's not really relevant whether its been 12 months or 18 months as both are a very long time in football for someone to be below par.

If you wanna start a separate discussion about Mane being finished as a player or not thats up to you but that is not what I was saying...that is what G said I was saying, when I was not. I firmly do not believe he is done as a player or else I would have him in my fan team starting 11 every week this season thus far. Do you see what im getting at now about splitting hairs?

Am I the only one who sees the amount of chances Mane is fumbling constantly these days tho? Maybe it's because I have him in my fan team starting 11 that I'm hyper focused on him each game and notice it. I mean, we are essentially saying the same thing and you are arguing a point I never made, you are arguing a point that "G" claimed I made but I never did.

• Advertisement
Advertisement