Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mater Private excess charges

• 20-09-2021 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭

I was recently admitted to the Mater Private in Cork. I was there for three nights. Before I was admitted my GP advised me to call my health insurance provider (Laya) and ask which Private hospital would have the least or most excess charges. I did that and I was told by the representative that if I chose the Bons Secours there would be a variety of excess charges but if I chose the Mater Private there would be none. I was in a fair bit of distress so I can't recall the entire conversation but she asked me to find out what procedures would be performed on me. I had to pay €150 when I was admitted because I was in A&E first and that is not covered by health insurance (that is fair enough). I paid for it by VISA card and I signed a form that stated that I understood the maximum fee for my treatment would be €500. I didn't take too much notice of this until I saw that the full €500 had been deducted from my VISA card after I was discharged. I got a receipt in the post but there was no breakdown of the charges, just a page saying "Sale transaction €500".

Is this normal? I'd just like to know what was covered by Laya and what I paid for myself. I had an ultrasound scan and a CT scan done. I also had an ECG scan (once or twice I think). I was given a lot pf drips and a few tablets and injections.

It's the first time I have been in hospital too btw.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

That does not sound right.

If Leya told you there would be no excess charges, then surely there should be none.

Have you re-contacted Leya since you got the 500 EUR charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭lukin

Yeah I have asked them to clarify it. Waiting to hear back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

It really depends on your policy what excess there is. There might be no excess for a procedure, but you might have to pay for scans. It could also be a case that you are expected to pay up front and then claim it back.

It’s the last thing anyone wants to be checking when something is urgent. I hope you get it sorted.

Advertisement