Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curse of Defective Concrete (Mica, Pyrrhotite, etc.) in Donegal homes - Read Mod warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

They may as well go with the 100%, can't see the point faffing about

It's literally undemocratic to freeze people out who can't part-pay for the works

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Mica 'D-Day' tomorrow. The working group are making their submission to the government. Paddy Diver is going to be making it public at the same time. I wonder how long the foot dragging will go on then...

Our house has deteriorated visibly in the past year. I dread a harsh winter.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They used Mica as a reason that this government must continue so 100% can't really be denied now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

I see a FG county councillor from Ballybofey is shouting for proper regulation of coffee vans. Hes getting slaughtered on the Donegal Daily facebook page since yesterday morning and rightly so. Nevermind that quarries havent been regulated properly for decades. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I get the feeling it won't be 100%, from an interview I heard the other day with a member of MAG. Can't remember exactly what was said, but I thought at the time, "there's going to be a lot of disappointed people when this is finalised".

The thing is, this is going to be a massive cost to the state, and the difference between 95% for example, and 100%, isn't going to be worth so much pain over.

If it does turn out to be 100%, I can see a lot of caveats, and perhaps the gov might try to split the people. For example, if it's your primary residence, you get 100%, but holiday home owners get nowt. That way, those getting their house fixed at no cost to themselves will all sign up (Well vast majority will), and goodbye to the rest. You'd be a brave homeowner to say no at this stage to 100% offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if the recent housing announcement made by the government will come into any discussions.

A lot of people are expecting a decision at the end of September. Terms of reference of the working group clearly state this is a report gathering exercise to be finalized at the end of September. Then (Im open to correction of course) it will have to go through the relevant departments, amendments to the scheme drawn up and everything voted on unless they use a statutory instrument to rush it in. Im sure there are more steps Ive missed.

Its a dreadful situation for any home owner who is 1 bad winter away from their house falling down. Shameful heel dragging carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When will the government give it's answer as to what its revised offer will be?

Think its due to be announced by the end of Sept.

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Advertisement

Indo claiming this morning that this has the potential to collapse the government coalition if the final plans don't satisfy a few politicians. Some may quit their parties if the solution isn't suitable for homeowners.

Can't see either of the 2 Donegal FFG going anywhere, McHugh has basically retired and McConalogue still thinks he has a political future, cant see any government TD from outside the county even commenting on Mica unless they are using it as an excuse not to do something

Well McSharry already said hed quit over it, but he has already quit the party over the Zappone controversy I think.

If the 2 Donegal tds don't stand with the people I can see them losing their seats at the next GE. They have to choose a side in this.

It's a big decision for them, considering both of them have said they want to see 100% redress.

Mc Conalogue along with former TD Blaney are with the block makers, McHugh is humming and hawing but would be big on the free market so likely against the homeowners

We will have to wait and see what decisions they make, won't be long now.

And how they fare at the next GE.

Its a shame the GE isnt next year. There is some politicking going on from all sides. Its all spoof and empty declarations of "we support 100%" but i don't even think sinn fein want to have a vote put before the dail because it could bring down the government then theyd be left to come up with 10billion+ to fix it. There are cases coming before the high court soon for houses that would cost over a million to rebuild. Hopefully a positive result there will force the government's hand. If that doesnt happen there will be disruptive protests in Dublin. Nobody wants that but it will happen and I support it if the government keep kicking the can down the road.

Another Dublin protest planned for the 8th of October. I've booked the day off work.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

It already looks like they know the report at the end of September won't be acceptable.

I honestly can't see the government agreeing to all of it. Anything will be better than the current scheme though. The campaigners want all of it and some will be disappointed.

I think a scheme that involves zero cost to the homeowners is not achievable, and the problem is that so many of them have protested so hard for 100% that nothing but this will do.

They have kinda backed themselves into a corner and can't back down for anything. Personally if I was offered a 95/5 scheme I'd take their hands off. Even a 10% scheme wouldn't be the worst as long as it was a real 10%.

• Advertisement

I think a 100% scheme is achievable if there are caps in place. I don't think second homes, farm buildings, garages, etc. will be covered and I don't think there will be a public enquiry.

Sure they'll have to do , fair is fair

Buyers were let down

Don't get me started on those jokers homebond, they used to show up on site for inspections ,making us change things around

Frst sign of trouble they disappear into the sunset

Yeah it probably is achievable but as you say they will have to cap it somewhere, otherwise it ain't going to work.

The campaigners are looking for everyone included, including holiday homes and 2nd/3rd properties etc. And I'm sure they support the local gaa or soccer club whose buildings are falling down, and their local farmers.

And that's what I mean that they may have to back down and change their demands, and that always makes it look like you have lost.

Personally I think primary residence should get fixed before anything else. Those other buildings are longer term issues.

By my reckoning, say there are 7500 homes to be rebuilt. That may be a conservative estimate when you consider there are now case's in Skerries, Limerick as well. And with rising building costs, which are only going to get worse in the coming years, say each house rebuild was to cost 300k on average, that's 2.25bn, so yes it's costly but achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

Just a quick look at Daft there and the average for a modern detached seems to be 350 odd, anything under that seems to be a fixer upper 70's house. A sensible cap would definitely be needed. Primary residence only.

But proof of residence required. Wouldnt want some vulture fund (Or large builder) being able to buy up problem residences from people who just want rid of the BS, build them cheap and flip for a profit.

Well they originally said anyone buying a house with mica after 2020 wasn't covered, as the problem was well known and if you bought a house on the cheap, you were fixing it yourself.

So that should rule out profiteers.

Personally I feel that paying anything is saying the home owner is somehow at fault. 100% should be given now, quarries fully regulated immediately and the insurance companies who covered the quarries should be made pay up. Whether thats through the courts from private citizens (as ive previously posted there are cases ongoing) or through government I dont care. If insurance companies dont pay then it is abuse of tax payer funds but that is nothing new in this country.

Aren't the quarries already regulated ?

As someone in the building game most my life , what they need to do is eliminate self-regulation

Send in the inspectors like they do dept of agriculture at slaughterhouses

Agreed. At this stage I think anyone who says we need to regulate the quarries is talking about proper regulation with inspections.

Some guy last week or two, think it was a Donegal councillor, asked if blocks coming out of quarries right now are being tested.

Don't think he got an answer from anyone.

• Advertisement

If you're in the building game

The higher-ups will do anything to complete the work

A long as the paperwork is in place, they don't give 2 fks as can be seen

Homebond was always out making me change stuff , fukked off at first sign of trouble

So much crap goes on in this country and so much money wasted.

There's 7000 homeowners or whatever with mica, cost a few billion to put it right , but has to be done

Advertisement