Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

no idea what your on about mate.. sorry

Could you prove to me that gravity exists? A rock falling out of a window would easily negate it though.

"All swans are black" could easily be disproven by showing a white swan

neither of those are disproving of a negative (in the context of conspiracy theory)

what im referring to is shifting the burden of proof onto a person not making a claim. for example "aliens exist because you cannot prove they dont) is asking someone to disprove a negative. the negative being the aliens dont exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

To use your example: the moon landings were fake

In normal discussion if someone believes the moon landings were faked they obviously have to provide the theory (how it was faked) and evidence to support that. You'll notice that is very rarely done on conspiracy theory forums, if ever.

Instead they typically use a clever technique of luring other people into demonstrating to them how impossible it was to fake, then subjectively rejecting that as much as they want. They can keep dragging it down into further and further technical details until you have no answers. It's a clever trick to turn the burden of proof onto others. With no arbiter they can (and do) go round in circles forever. They will endlessly evade you asking for their theory, they will endless evade you asking for any evidence of the theory, and they will accuse you of badgering them with questions

There's nothing you can do about it and that's the reality for many conspiracies on the forum.

On any other forum, or in academia, or in every day life the burden of proof is on the person making the claim. If I have a theory, it's up to me to demonstrate it. I don't have to "prove it", simply lay out the details and evidence and see what people think.

A template may go someway towards redressing the balance. I answered it earlier quite easily with a conspiracy I believe in. It would also allow everyone to get into the meat of the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ducking out because you don't want your rubbish questioned? Makes sense!

See ya!

they "policy quality" every day?

cards on the table, ive been a mod on boards previously for a few years. I know whats involved, and i think i can speak from a place of experience on this that what i am asking is in no way unreasonable or even unexpected. if you report a post, then teh mod has to do everything ive suggested anyway. My suggesting would actually reduce mod workload in the long run by having the standard already agreed and approved before the discussion even begins.

The community as a whole can decide whether that burden is met when they read an OP 

the community as a whole is completely divided already. Thats as obvious as the nose on my face. there will not be consensus from both sides, no matter how much wishful thinking.

anyway, no point pushing this if mods turn around and say they wont do it. so ill wait for a mod direction to see if what im suggesting is agreeable to them and not in fact too much work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Again, you are focusing on consensus? Why?

An OP would either include the foundational information, or it wouldn't.

That's not a matter of consensus, it's a matter of fact. It doesn't matter if a thousand people report a post, if it meets a standard of requested it stands. If it doesn't it's actioned.

Could you lay out where consensus comes into that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

The question I asked was how many courthouses were destroyed by BLM, I thought? And the answer would appear to be zero, although I know of three that were damaged. 25 deaths isn't even a blip in the number of deaths being caused DAILY in the US by reactionaries like you who have undermined/refused the COVID vaccine. We are losing about 2,000 people PER DAY to a virus with cheap, effective and available vaccines.

As an aside, I'm not sure at this point what you are trying to argue.

im not focusing consensus?, im saying it doesnt exist in this forum.

banie is focusing in consensus as a means to police the forum. im saying thats doesn't work now, and i cant see it working in the immediate future.

as for "foundational information", it has not yet been decided what, if any, "foundational information" is required , so you cannot say something that doesn't exist is fact (see what i did there :D)

who decides if the "foundational information" that is provided is good enough. Youre saying the community should. im saying the community is fundamentally broken and divided so shouldn't. thats both our accepted positions, which is fine.

You are the one who brought consensus to this discussion.

I have repeatedly said in response to you, that it has nothing to do with it, it's why I asked you to explain why you are focusing on it.

My current thinking is this. There is a list of required information needed to be included in a CT OP. Information foundational to the theory and that will allow discussion to expand without the litany of who, what, why, how.

Standards for what should be required have already been proposed and a charter change discussion would either make that a yea or nay.

An OP either meets that standard as proposed in the template and prose discussion, or it doesn't.

If it doesn't a poster reading it clicks report and a mod takes a look and any necessary action.

Where is the consensus involved?

Why is expecting posters to act upon posts that don't meet a set of community guidelines, onerous for the poster but not a mod? The rest of the forums get along fine with such an expectation on their posters and in particular politics.

And again, where does consensus come into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

With what bainie is saying though is that the decision would be up to a mod either way.

In his version even if all of us mean ol' skeptics went nuts and reported a post all at once, it wouldn't really affect the mods decision.

In the meantime while the post is active, if people feel like the post isn't up to standard, then they should just not reply and report the post. They shouldn't comment on why the post isn't up to scratch on the thread. This is already the rule for reporting breaches of the charter anyhow.

And at the same time, if people feel like the post is up to standard, they will be free to post away with that assumption as the basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that only applies to initial forum access. Requiring a mod to approve every new topic would kill the CT forum.

• Advertisement

Pretty much bang on.

Mod action can be anything from a request to amend the OP to include whatever information the requirements end up being, or closure.

The one caveat I'd place on closing threads is that an explanation of why it was closed is included rather than lock and leave. One would hope then that any OPs in a similar vein can be directed to the earlier thread or god forbid 😉 find it themselves as part of the preposting research and the new poster could ensure they address the gap that led to the earlier threads closure.

For clarity and confirmation, im not focusing on consensus.

you are saying the community can police it. That is policing by "consensus", thats pretty much how boards works. so its YOU who are endorsing the consensus point, not me.

Im actually the opposite, i dont want the community deciding if the level of information provided meets the standard required. i want the mods top decide this. So again, for clarity NOT by consensus, but by moderator determination.

An OP either meets that standard as proposed in the template and prose discussion, or it doesn't.

regardless of the fact that someone has to decide of the standard has been met or not, but no "standard" has yet been finalised so lets hold off discussing who decides if its met until that standard is agreed.

no one as yet has said that an answer of "i dont know" is acceptable in the template.

no one has yet said how often you can say "i dont know" in the template and still be acceptable. if your point is that under no circumstance should "i dont know" be allowed than can you clarify, as i must have missed it.

how often do you expect new CTs to be posted? and what do you base this expectation on?

id expect a mod to be able to approve or not a new CT within 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Another small potential suggestion/guideline: conspiracy posters should think about prefacing a conspiracy as their opinion rather than a fact, e.g. it's my opinion that X was a conspiracy.

Stating it as a fact has completely different connotations. "I think the moon landing was faked" is quite different from "the moon landings were faked".

Good post, but the first sentence is wide of the mark. As we have so often seen, the very first point should be: "1. This is what the conspiracy is, 2. this is why I believe it to be true (or untrue) and 3. these are the supporting documents, links etc. for my argument."

Too often we've seen someone claim conspiracy without actually detailing what that conspiracy is. And the reasons for that is because, 100% of the time, they are acting in bad faith. They either know it to be untrue, suspect it to be untrue, or they don't believe in it themselves, but are claiming it's true (for some reason). If a form or style guide is implemented, I'd put forward the opinion that these three questions above are all that is required. Anything more intensive than that would scare people away but anybody answering "I don't know" to either of those 3 can be dismissed as being disingenuous. If you cannot outline those three basic elements, then good luck. The "don't be a boiling frog" thread is a perfect example of this.

Denying people the chance to ask further questions is idiotic in the extreme. How else are you supposed to tease out information or broaden your understanding of something without asking questions? If your theory was valid and you wanted to raise awareness of it, then you should be WELCOMING questions on it, because the only possible outcome of an exchange is that either a) you'll change your mind or b) the doubters will change theirs. This is a win-win in the eyes of your average CT proponent. Or, at least, it should be. The only people who lose out in such a scenario are those bad faith actors.

At the moment people are ignoring questions anyway when those questions make them uncomfortable, but at least it exposes their bad faith acting for what it is. You cannot say "I believe in X", then put your fingers in your ear and run away when someone asks "But, because of Y, this means that X is impossible.....how do you reconcile X and Y in that case?". Well, you can, but you'll look like a sap and you'll be exposed for a fraud, and rightly so.

Posters get flustered when asked questions that poke holes in their theory. Some get stroppy and run off, never to be seen again. Some ignore those questions, repeatedly. Others give a non-answer, then when pressed, claim that they've already answered the questions, even though they haven't (sound familiar?). Plenty of times I have seen excellent and straightforward explanations been given to 'unexplainable' events. Not once, EVER, have I seen someone acknowledge that a particular question raises doubts about a theory. (To counter the inevitable shouts of "have you ever seen Kingmob, Dohnjoe or anyone else acknowledge that a theory (or part of one) is plausible", the answer is yes, plenty of times).

Banning questions is stupid.

People advocating for the banning of questions are stupid.

People advocating for the banning of questions, but hiding behind the smokescreen of "the old charter was better" are being deviously stupid. Someone claimed, within the last week, that the BBC

KM, DJ and the others are doing God's work, exposing ill-informed and under-educated falsehoods for the garbage that they are. Take a look back at the rubbish that went on around 9/11 with Cheerfulspring2 and his re-reg accounts to get a flavour of what I'm talking about here. Someone who got their scientific education from watching YT videos or reading blogs from anti-establishment lunatics, then spouting their version of it and trying to gish-gallop their way out of any further probing or exploration by posting 6 million photos and charts which they also didn't understand. I mean, they claimed that a still shot of an ironmonger using an angle-grinder was definitive proof that there was liquid, molten steel pooling at ground zero. anyone able to calmly reason with such profound ridiculousness deserves a medal.

TL;DR - anyone trying to claim that others shouldn't be allowed to question their theory is admitting, up front, that their theory is bullshlt and shouldn't be allowed put that theory forward in the first place.

The mods have little or no interest in the CT forum. They would never agree to it.

But when bainie is saying that it is policed by the community, he means that the community only flags the post. The mod will still decide and would weed out any attempts to game the system by reporting all posts etc.

If people think the post doesn't meet the standard, they report it. If the mod decides that the report is warranted, they take action. The post does not engage with the thread and waits for the mod's decision.

If someone thinks the post is up to standard, they can post right away without having to wait for the mod to rubber stamp anything.

And if a post really is up to standard, ideally it wouldn't be reported at all and a mod would never have to be involved.

I just had a quick look through the CT forum to see where this huge amount of work load would be for Mods if they had to approve a new CT thread.

guess how many new threads we've had in the last 3 weeks, since the start of September??

4 new threads !!

and of those 4 only 2 could be considered to be start a "new CT".. the insurance company one and the disinformation agents one.

so 2 threads in 3 weeks. certainly doesnt sound like a huge work load for any mod or group of mods.

while the "dont want to burden the mods" point of view is laudable, its unfounded.

Your view of consensus and mine are very different. Consensus is majority rule, broad agreement and action based upon that. You have given the impression that post action would be based on the volume of reports and not the content. That has nowhere been proposed.

Expecting mod approval of an OP on the basis of a yet to be agreed standard is IMHO an action that will kill any discussion in the forum and is also as I have pointed, a means of making the mod a target and worse than that. It allows CTrs to wrap themselves in a cloak of oppression and claim they are being restricted rather than just held to a common standard.

Expecting posters to report posts that don't meet any new charter requirement is not policing by consensus. It's part and parcel of using Boards. Is it considered onerous elsewhere? Do you believe that a mod would act on the volume of reports rather than on the content or lack of it of a post?

Asking me for clarification regarding "I don't know"?

Why? it's not part of any discussion I've had with you and not a topic I've addressed. Let's focus on the topic at hand then you can gallop where will afterwards.

• Advertisement

Sure but I know what the answer will be. The idea just isn't a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

God's work?

I think you might be overstating things there and that type of attitude justifies the "abrasive" nature of many users posting style.

Questioning conspiracy theories isn't some sort of pseudo scientific jihad, engaging in a respectful manner (even with people you think are stupid) helps your own argument immensely.

Glazers Out!

and ive already answered this. the forum is too divided for that to work. the skeptics will report if there is any doubt, and the CTs will claim no discussion is allowed due to skeptics because they are reporting everything

im suggesting that, if a mod decides all if ok with the new CT, them neither can the skeptics report for not meeting standard, nor can the Cts claim discussion is not allowed due to skeptics. It creates an even field for both to begin discussion.

and if a post really is up to standard, ideally it wouldn't be reported at all and a mod would never have to be involved.

ideally, but i think its best to take the doubt out of it at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

That assertion would appear to be correct.

If normal boards.ie moderation was in action there (as alluded to earlier) it is possible some issues of personal interaction and respect may become of concern quite quickly.

I know from experience that utilizing a posting style that would be acceptable in the CT forum would tend to result in at the very least a friendly tap on the shoulder from a moderator in other forums.

Glazers Out!

"1. This is what the conspiracy is, 2. this is why I believe it to be true (or untrue) and 3. these are the supporting documents, links etc. for my argument."

Personally I would phrase 3 as "These are the supporting documents/arguments". I don't think it should be necessary for people to provide documentary evidence unless they are arguing for specific facts in support of the theory.

For example:

1. the US government faked the moon landings to one up russia. 2. because i don't think they had the technology required to do so. 3. I don't think it's possible to do X because Y.

I think that this proposal (while logically bad) isn't unreasonable. And asking for documentary evidence for why something is impossible isn't fair. And evidence that is needed would be asked for in the course of the discussion.

But if you were arguing:

1. the US government faked the moon landings to one up russia. 2. because the radiation was too high

Then I think you need to supply evidence for 2.

lets forget about the first point because we just see the same thing differently, which is fine.

but youve said

An OP would either include the foundational information, or it wouldn't.

That's not a matter of consensus, it's a matter of fact

so im asking if a poster started a thread and for one of the questions said "i dont know".. does that mean that the template is full and therefore "fact" and thus meets the standard, or is it not acceptable.?

and as a follow on, if it is acceptable, how often can it be used as an answer?

But if skeptics are reporting in bad faith, this will not be acted on by the mods. They would just ignore all these false reports. Mods don't act on reports if they feel there's no merit to them.

At that point it just means that those who feel like the thread isn't up to standard don't post in it.

Either way a mod is deciding.

One thing that could happen is that a mod can chime in and say something like "I got some reports on this, but I've decided it's fine." and that way there's no doubt.

At this point, the sinister skeptics couldn't then bitch and gripe, as we are wont to do, about how the post isn't up to standard. We'd either join the thread with the assumed basis that the standard has been met, or just not post. (Or we could take it up with the mod in pms.)

I also think that for this reporting, people should give some effort into detailing why they are reporting.

• Advertisement

I think what is and is acceptable for the I don't know answer would depended heavily on the context of the rest of the conspiracy.

I think it would be ok to use sometimes for things like who exactly is behind it or their specific motivations. And things like this could be hashed out in the actual discussion.

The shorter the list of required points though, the less this would be an issue I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement