Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

^

fair enough.

maybe im taking the view that having mod clarification at the start would negate the need for reporting based on standard. Ultimately the mods are the arbiters of the standards in different fora, not the posters.

I have never once stated that anybody should be treated in a disrespectful manner.

I refute the idea that KM, DJ, Bainie, Timberrr, AnCapaillDorcha or anybody else who's a regular contributor to CT does so either.

People get their knickers in a twist when their castles are built on sand and someone with a bit of a brain and a decent grasp of the subject matter tears the whole thing down. That is not the other side being abrasive, or lacking respect or [insert whatever word you want here]. It is the posters throwing a tantrum because they're being exposed for the charlatans that they are and so resort to slinging mud.

Even in this thread, people are complaining about 'the regulars' bringing ti all off topic, when they are the only ones proposing anything even resembling a solution. Apart from the OPs version of "I don't like the charter, I'd prefer if I was able to spout any auld sh1te without having to defend my position", I've yet to see antyhing constructive being proposed by the CT side.

That should speak volumes.

i know youre not banie, to whom it was addresseed, but can you not see the inherent difficulty with

would depended heavily on the context of the rest of the conspiracy.

to

An OP would either include the foundational information, or it wouldn't.

That's not a matter of consensus, it's a matter of fact

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It means that the poster has a hypothesis and not a theory.

No supporting evidence, circumstantial or even inferential? Then the poster doesn't have a theory.

I'm surprised given the length of time that nature and quality of evidence has been discussed on here that there is any doubt what I mean regarding that.

Now how that is adopted into a charter? Is a matter that is open to discussion and I'm sure a broad range of opinion. That particular aspect of the discussion would be subject to consensus. But as been posted by others in the thread, perhaps it belongs in the realm of speculation rather than theory.

In my opinion a CT post needs to include the What, What is the conspiracy, why does the OP deem it plausible and what in particular has them convinced of its veracity.

The why, with better evidence to support a conspiracy than "the money" or "Jews".

The how, take 9/11 as an example and the theory that building 7 was pre-wired with silent explosives. How were they placed? Has any other instance of silent explosive been documented? What supports the CTrs position?

In particular the Cui Bono of a conspiracy is IMO important, it's by no means vital to discussion but the very nature of a conspiracy means that someone or some group ultimately benefits. What is that aspect?

And any other relevant info that the OP has relied upon in their belief that it's a theory worth exploring. What evidence other than feeling, emotion or sterotype do they rely on to convince someone else their position is plausible let alone actual.

An OP doesn't need all the info, and it may well be that CTr posts some info in the aim of "developing" their hypotheses.

But a theory must have the ingredients, their must be a degree of evident collusion, coincidence and benefit to someone for a conspiracy to be viable.

The onus needs to be on the poster presenting a CT to make at the very least a cogent case as to why it may be. That can be done with an "I don't Know" at a few points, but certainly not by throwing out a claim with a string of them followed by "but aliens".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I don't see any harm in a substandard post being left open on the thread until a mod decides either way. All people who think it's substandard can do is report and leave it be until the mod acts. If any one thinks that it is of standard can post away. If a mod decides it's not up to standard, a nudge can be given or the post can be closed.

And if people think that the post is substandard, but can't be bothered reporting, never mind giving a good reason to report, well then they should just ignore the thread.

I can't see how mob rule could game this system as all the decision power lays with the mods in the same way your way does.

This way however is quicker and would help discussions get going faster with minimal mod involvement if all goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You may refute the idea but the "abrasive" posting style that is so popular in the CT forum was addressed by Beasty earlier today on this thread as being less than optimal.

Stating that arguing against conspiracy theories online is "God's work" does tend to result in the rest of what you're saying being taken with a grain of salt.

Glazers Out!

i suppose the best analogy i can think of is the planning process. in most cases (majority of boards) people have the ability to object to planning applications (posts) and ultimately appeal to the ultimate arbiters An Bord Pleanala (report to mods)

However this slows up the whole process and can leave prospective neighbours hating each other from the outset (the Ct forum)

there are however special provisions for making an application straight to ABP (my approval idea) which speeds up the time frame and comes to an ultimate decision without the bad blood.

i think a similar process would be very beneficial for the CT forum, but would need mod buy-in. may they dont want anything to do with it.

I'd agree that bainie's statement seems a bit absolute there.

I personally think that there would be some wiggle room for "I don't know" answers, but I don't think there would be a one sized fits all answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It goes both ways. Again, there are active mods on the forum. People get warned and carded.

Would agree with Syd and you that statement Syd queried was a bit absolutist.

I'd hope it's addressed in a post above tho 😉

• Advertisement

ok thanks, thats a very concrete and clear position to have.

I still think that an out there conspiracy theory with a lot of "I don't knows" can still make for an interesting discussion as long as the template makes it clear from the start that certain parts of the theory are incomplete and that this incompleteness is a good reason not to believe the theory.

From there a discussion can be had with say hypotheticals or diving into why those gaps make people doubt the conspiracy theory.

jeez lads om sorry but i keep getting the two of ye mixed due to the avatar, and the hop scotch replies. apologies if im responding to one thinking its the other!

You've either misinterpreted what I meant, or you've deliberately misrepresented it.

Arguing against conspiracy theories isn't god's work.

Arguing against conspiracy theorists with lazy spelling, poor grammar, terrible understanding of basic concepts, refusal to admit they're wrong, a penchant for logical fallacies, outright lying, throwing insults etc, as part of their standard repertoire and doing so in a calm, educated and respectful manner IS God's work.

If you think that allows you to ignore the rest of what I wrote, after you've either made a balls of understanding what I wrote or deliberately misconstruing it so it doesn't reflect what I meant, well that's on you. It demonstrates more bad faith acting, though....."One minor part of your extensive post is something I disagree with, so the rest of what you have to say can be disregarded" is a handy argument to dismiss that which shows you in a bad light.

I note also that you failed to withdraw your accusation that I was disrespectful.

It's not cards anymore, it's the jail picture and posting restrictions.

As can be seen on my profile currently earned via an interaction here.

Don't let CTrs make people think they are the only ones sanctioned. The actions when taken flow both ways 😣

I'm sorted now and I think jailbars are cool tho 😁

I disagree there. From some perspectives it could be see as conspiracy theories being sent into a black hole where only a few come out because the mod is disallowing certain things.

With the other way, it seems a bit more open and transparent to me. And it wouldn't really cause bad blood with the two camps, as anyone posting agrees that the thread should be there, and anyone who doesn't agree shouldn't be posting in it.

But either way people will give **** to the mods, so there really isn't any avoiding that

Is that what those are? I only see them on mobile and not of the desktop site.

Told ya! 😂😂

It's a conspiracy of "The Ticks" tho I think mine still has bars on?

I disagree there. From some perspectives it could be see as conspiracy theories being sent into a black hole where only a few come out because the mod is disallowing certain things.

That'd be my concern too. It gives CTr's a cloak of oppression and the man shutting them down, and it makes the mod a target for a lot of help desk and DR posts.

Yep, took me 14yrs to get my 1st boards ban so this thread has been good for something I suppose 😂 all sorted now tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

When reading the first sentence of your post, I had no idea you were actually saying that those who are refuting the conspiracy theories are the ones with mental health issues.

Bizarre.

That'd be my concern too. It gives CTr's a cloak of oppression and the man shutting them down, and it makes the mod a target for a lot of help desk and DR posts.

That's going to happen one way or another. It's going to happen about this thread.

I'm sure we'll be accused of trying to shut down the conspiracy theories forum again inside of a week. A month tops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In your long time on boards how much time have you spent to observing the posting habits of those who post in CT? that doesn't really lend itself to the image of a stable human for me. Do you see how that works? Oddly enough your concern only extends to those on the skeptical side of the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So a few questions asking to explain is communist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I started a thread in the CT forum years back only to have my mental health form the basis of many disgusting responses. A lot by posters who are very active in this thread right now carrying on as if butter wouldn't melt in their mouth.

When reported, the mod in question accused me of trying to bait the posters into a ban and said their posts were justified given the conspiracy theory I was presenting.

It's all on the record so be very careful what you say next.

No. It is asking a question because the person being responded to has been extremely vague. If people provide information it tends to stop questions. I learned that over years of dealing with auditors. If you want to know about incessant questioning get yourself an audit. What goes on here is mild questioning to try and extract information. The problem is they people who are spouting BS then cry wolf because they can’t explain their BS.

Questioning is not attacking. There are plenty of fringe ideas here. Even the better thought out ones usually require questioning. You do know that there needs to be more than one person in a discussion and questions are a part of discussions? Boards is a discussion website and not an echo chamber. When someone starts a new thread they are clicking a ‘New Discussion’ button. Sorry if the idea of having a discussion offends you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Oh I'm so sorry. It's self evident arguing against conspiracy theorists is "God's work", where are arguing against conspiracy theories is just a hobby activity.

For someone who mentions things such as, and I quote; "lazy spelling, poor grammar, terrible understanding of basic concepts, refusal to admit they're wrong, a penchant for logical fallacies, outright lying, throwing insults etc"... And then goes on to end their post by saying that I failed to withdraw my accusation of you being disrespectful, surely with your superior comprehension it would come as no surprise to you that I never accused you of being disrespectful at any point.

It would seem that you have been hoisted upon your own petard my learned friend.

Who "made a balls of understanding" what was written by who exactly?

Glazers Out!

First time a post of mine has been called creepy. I’ll take it as a compliment. 😂. Someone else might simplify my response for you. However, I’ll assist a bit… looking up the definition of ‘discussion’ will help in understanding of my post.

"On any other forum, or in academia, or in every day life the burden of proof is on the person making the claim. If I have a theory, it's up to me to demonstrate it. I don't have to "prove it", simply lay out the details and evidence and see what people think.

A template may go someway towards redressing the balance. I answered it earlier quite easily with a conspiracy I believe in. It would also allow everyone to get into the meat of the discussion."

That seems fair and reasonable and if demands for 'proof' were also outlawed wouldn't this then benefit discussion in CT? The OP requested that something needs to be done about CT, would this not be something everyone could agree to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So now the basic concept of a discussion is creepy?

This is a new angle altogether!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its the obvious solution to the "problem" if you see it as a problem.

It seems that solution however then causes a problem due to the "details and evidence" part, which it seems some conspiracists are against for some reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement