Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

theres been clear insider trading post 08, so it was decided to offload it, relieve the top brass of their positions, the ones actually doing the trading, and now BOI own the majority of it, and according to economist bill black, RED FLAGS everywhere, including in BOI! so watch this space!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Old news and the competent authorities have decided nothing to see here so we're grand :-/

So reassuring to know the financial sector is in good hands

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Alternative economics theories are off-topic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Evergrande and the Chinese property industry is not as tightly tied to the global financial markets or the Chinese markets as you think.

Some investors will get burned, but it is not an 08 scenario - nor will we see funds desperately trying to offload their irish portfolios in a fire-sale scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Very little Chinese investment in Irish property. Not one of the funds that have publicly invested has any Chinese interest.

All you are doing is taking some issue in china and desperately trying to scaremonger people into thinking it it will have serious repercussions here.

The vast vast vast injection of foreign funds here have been large USA, European and Canadian investment/pension funds. The same funds that invest in property in many countries and use the rental incomes to pay out the various pension payments as they become due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Any Chinese investor that has invested outside China will not be putting money back into China. If the companies are separated you do not fund possible loss making companies to support profitable ones.

One of the reasons the 2008 crash was so hard on Ireland is the banks were lazy and used personnel guarantee's to support loans without investigation if the assets. Therefore when calls came even profitable businesses came under stress and collapsed because owners were cross collateralised.

China is similar to Russia if you have money outside the country unless you are an idiot( and having it outside the country shows you are not generally) you keep it outsider the country

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Lower construction costs = lower inflation

which means less pressure to tapper QE and a lower for longer interest rate environment.

It is very difficult to know who has invested in the funds that have bought Irish property as there is a lot of funds investing in other funds.

If there is to be a Lehman's moment with contagion it will be in the funds sector as the majority of risk taking moved out of investment banks and into funds following '08.

Personally I don't see Evergrande being a trigger unless there are other Chinese companies in similar difficulty that come to light and investors confidence is eroded to a stage of a mass exit.

The only impact I can see on the Irish housing market is that global GDP will be lower as a result of Evergrande and as a result interest rates will remain lower for longer which will result in more demand in Irish housing from investors as they chase yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

In that case, before we get an economic crash or a "reset" to wean the economy off property, we along with other Western countries will see extreme populism become more normalised. Trump and Brexit will seem like sensible, centrist actions of voters if the current high housing cost/extreme inequality situation does not resolve itself by way of a natural correction/crash. At least in Ireland we are going more to the left than the right unlike other countries but even that will cause issues (e.g. as I have said before, SF were openly anti-EU up until recently and they are likely to be the government party in a few years; throw up a United Ireland referendum and then put it in the context of an EU Republic versus non-EU Northern Ireland and our own EU membership could be questioned - it's speculating but the net point is that populism is on the rise and it is directly linked to high housing costs).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

exactly what ive been trying to get to, all of these events are interlinked, we better be careful what we truly wish for!

• Advertisement

You keep talking about weaning the economy of property.... The simple fact is that people need to live somewhere so property is always going to be a large section of the economy as there will always be housing needs (unless we have mass emigration)

You also talk about this as if this is a new problem that never existed before.... Ireland has had many housing crisis over the years and the one thing that was always done to fix it was large scale social housing... Something that is not popular today because people see it as free houses for people that don't want to work.... Any large scale social housing will generate downward pressure on rents and as a result on houses prices.

Social housing historically was delivered to working people with housing needs but over the years it has got the reputation of free housing for people that don't want to work. There was less objection to social housing if it was built on cheap land in "Working class" areas Call it what you want today social housing/affordable housing etc.... but there is a need for it for hard working people who are stuck in a rent trap that are not

If you looked at the housing needs today you would probably find the same people in need of housing people who are working who can't afford a house.

Causes of the next Irish property market collapse:

2019: Brexit

2020: Covid

2021: Evergrade

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

How many people are saying “I can’t wait for the economy to crash so I can buy a house (that I’m too poor to buy now) with my buckets of savings and secure job” ?

And how far does that keep the Irish economy from an actual crash?

Theres a graph to be drawn here but I lack the technical knowledge…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭wassie

Markets don’t crash when everyone expects it. They crash when everyone is crowded and levered long.....oh wait a minute...

No one claiming the property market could crash can pinpoint a clear reason why they think this can happen and this is seized upon by those claiming that the market is solid as part of their position that the market won't crash.

But, for me, the lack of a clear reason as to why it could crash does not mean it may not crash and I do think (posted recently why) that perhaps we are at a time where "no one can see it coming" as, for most commentators and observers, there is nothing which would cause the market to crash. I have not seen any clear reason myself as to why it could crash but I do observe that there is a sentiment that a crash is not likely any time soon.

So if your point is that a crash happens when no one sees it happening, then I feel we are in that place where right now no one does see any sort of crash coming. It's counterintuitive of course and therefore hard to grasp.

If you cannot afford to buy now you will not be able to afford to buy in a crash. If the last crash told us anything it's that cash is king, those that do well out of crashes are those that have access to cash. If you need to borrow funds forget about it

Slava Ukrainii

Just because it is not new does not mean it cannot change. My default position is that the factors which lead to the 08 crash have not been addressed, in terms of cheap money flooding into property and the fact it is so expensive and interlinked with the economy that a faltering in the property market would still pose a risk to our wider economy.

Property costs should be tied to income and be at a low level in order to ensure that there is more diversity in the money sloshing around the economy, by way of savings in the bank, spending in the local economy etc. My own experience, up until recently, was with Germany and its rental market, with my observation being that the quality of life in Germany was of a higher standard than Ireland, largely due to the much cheaper housing costs relative to incomes. What I found is that people are generally happier and more well rounded as they are more likely to be able to pay the rent for their own place as adults which naturally brings about a maturity and sense of purpose from the pride that comes from having one's own place. My particular experience with my partner's family, who are by no standard wealthy, is that due to their rents being so low, they actually have quite active lives and have cash to spend on themselves - the lower housing costs offset the less income they receive and allow them more breathing space. Another point on the low housing costs relative to incomes is that there are real communities in Germany across all demographics as even those on lower incomes can afford their own place and have the ability to stay long term there as there is no real incentive to force people out by increasing rent by 4% per year or 90% in 10 years. In Ireland, there are little communities in the 20s and 30s age groups as these generations are more likely to be renters in Ireland and therefore transient and unsettled with their housing; this has implications for our communities. Just look at Sandyford and Grand Canal Dock to see what I mean about a lack of communities, as these are mainly rental communities.

Where we are now, having gone through the pandemic restrictions, with so many people at home instead of going to an office for work, we saw the potential for local communities to flourish as people had more cash to spend due to the restrictions and a lot of smaller, independent businesses in local communities thrived as a result. Significantly bring down housing costs and watch communities bloom once again as those that live in the area will be spending more of that cash.

For those that need some help with their living costs, in turn, the cost to the State of assisting them is also significantly reduced when housing costs are substantially reduced so it is in the interests of society and the State to make housing costs extremely low relative to incomes.

The ironic thing is that the measures to substantially reduce housing costs do not actually cost anything to the State, while attempting to tinker around the edges and work within the current system cost an absolute fortune.

I don't know about that. I think there is something seriously messed up in our market where rent is significantly more expensive than a mortgage for a similar property. Someone could be paying 1800 for an apartment which would cost 1000 on a 30 year mortgage. Rents could crash 40% and the economy would be fine.

Rents falling will not bring more houses to the market. Supply is what will reduce prices and rebal pressure. The last recession showed that the big winners were those that could afford to snap up cheap property and sit on it until the recovery. Yes maybe if we had a price drop that more people could afford houses but where will the availibility come from. If prices crash builders stop building hint look at the last crash. Outside of the larger urban area's there is still not huge development taking place and site prices are miniscule compared to large urban centers. Two small developments in the area I live in 6 houses in each development, one of the developments has 4 bed houses at 130 sq meters and prices are in the 250-280K mark. This was a Celtic Tiger site that was partially developmed before going into recievership.

Slava Ukrainii

The situation today is totally different to '08.... If the property market crashed today it is unlikely that banks would need to be bailed out because they have significantly reduced their risk. It is this lack of risk taking that has contributed to lack of new builds as developers need to rely on funds to finance new developments and this increases the cost of new builds.

You talk about cheap money flooding the property market and yes there is a influx of cash from QE as investors chase yield which property provides whether it is a fund financing new builds or buying property outright. This is not caused by printing of money as you have put in previous posts but is due to the fact that interest rates are deliberately kept low to encourage investment which in turn drives economic growth.

The vast majority of the cash from QE is still in the financial system and never get's out to the wider economy unless banks increase their lending. This is why QE in the past has had little impact on inflation. This time around it is different as the governments borrowed more and released this cash into the economy by way of fiscal transfers whether it be pup payments, stimulus cheques, or building infrastructure. Without this QE there would have been a major crash and a lot of jobs would have permanently lost.

I would love to see cheaper rent and property prices but if that is not brought about due to oversupply of housing it will be short lived and we will end up back in a situation where no housing is built for a number of years because it costs more to build than to sell. All that would happen is a boom bust cycle that would continue with no houses being built until the lack of supply drives up prices.

I would like to know what measures you think that the government could take to reduce housing costs that would cost them nothing and at the same time ensure that there will be sufficient supply of new houses to meet the demand in the future and avoid a boom bust cycle.

• Advertisement

Raise interest rates 2 to 3%, taper QE and bring in more meaningful property taxes and you will see the property market bubble deflate at no cost to the State. That is the solution but the political will is not currently there to advocate for this.

The situation is almost identical to the 2008 build up. The shadow banking industry is where the bubble has been created and I can see from our regulator that they have already dropped the ball on this as they were too busy bulking up their enforcement division to fight the last war. In my area, asset management, I can see a very poorly resourced regulator only just starting to poke around in this area and Ireland has a phenomenal level of activity in the shadow banking industry which is where the bubble has been fed. There are investment funds in Ireland, regulated by our regulator, holding US mortgages from the 00s repackaged as debt instruments and only in the last year or so have they copped it to look under the hood and see what is behind the vaguely termed "debt instrument" in which these funds are investing. The shadow banking industry in Ireland is worth over €2 trillion and it is only regulated in Ireland at a very high (ie fund) level but the actual investments of the funds may not be regulated or at least not in a way where the regulator has a clear view as to what the ultimate exposure is to, particularly where the ultimate exposure is taken indirectly.

You use the term "economic growth" but I don't like that term and I think that term is not necessarily a positive thing. Especially when used in an Irish context for the last few years; yes we have had strong "economic growth" but in fact the situation on the ground for individuals has been getting worse each year of this "growth", particularly from 2015; housing costs, childcare, utilities had all increased beyond the CPI 2% inflation reading, but salaries have not shot up to offset it. Even looking back over the last 10 years in Ireland; No meaningful income tax cuts, little to no infrastructure investment, no healthcare or education reform; all the time fretting over public finances yet the economy was apparently experiencing growth? It has been a con, like how the CPI being used as the barometer for inflation, which is a total scam, as it is being interpreted to provide that inflation has not gone over 2% per year for years and years. Yet housing costs have increased 90%+ the last 9 years. That makes no sense and echoes what I have read in 1984 and Animal Farm where the proletariat were told how great everything was in the economy but they didn't really feel it in their day to day lives.

Crashing the property market and aiming to ensure it is disconnected from the real economy is how we get away from a boom and bust cycle. It is the only way to ensure social, political and economic sustainability for the future. The impending Chinese Real Estate bubble popping should be a warning sign to us as to what will happen if we don't wean ourselves off high housing costs (relative to incomes), as the 08 hiccup wasn't enough of a scare, and seek to prevent the property market experiencing massive growth or drops in costs in short periods of time (eg 2008 to 2012 and 2012 to 2021).

I fully agree that supply is the issue but significant, far more than it appears we need, supply is needed.

Supply will force down housing costs and Ronan Lyons actually posted his thesis in The Currency a few weeks ago showing that house prices actually decreased between 1995 and 2006, due to the supply of new housing, but that credit lead to prices increasing during that time period.

However, when you have such powerful vested interest groups with the ear of the government, between existing home owners who would balk at hearing a new policy would materially decrease the value of their home and then the building groups claiming it is too expensive to build for profit so the government should pump money into the market to make it viable (ie keep housing costs high), we are unlikely to see the goverment take any meaningful action to dramatically increase supply if such steps could substantially reduce the cost of housing.

Edit: typo.

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lossless

Well identified here.

I'll be less patient in summation: we are being fed a steaming pile of shyt and disaster is ahead. Not "housing crash" disaster, but sheer societal disaster.

The hyper-commodification of housing as a last ditch effort to extract money from a failing economy is the ruination of society.

Vast swathes of the country's productivity is immediately negated by this valueless void, weekly. Family formation is being utterly destroyed. The future has been sold for the present.

And what will the big brains suggest as the population trends toward invalidity? Ah, yes, we need more slaves nee immigration to replace the future children already lost. And again and again, and more rapidly, and in greater number ever so with each passing cycle of this manufactured "problem". It'll also just so happen to keep the housing crisis going at the edge of its seat. So very coincidental and not in the slightest bit connected.

But the elderly and will-be-elderly can be placated by a paper increase in the "value" of their home, a notional nothingness until they bite the dust, all while the shucksters use them as a means to extract actual money.

Yes, there needs to be a de-coupling of profit+housing. "Value" needs to be lost, the hoodwinkers need to be eliminated, and sustainability and the future put first and foremost.

The corruption in this country, and elsewhere, may be evading the law thus far, but the moral corruption is in plain sight for all to see on a daily basis.

The pent up retaliation against this shake down is going to be brutal in the truest sense, whether it begins next year or in 25 years, but it's coming one way or the other. It'll be a sight to see.

For now, back to the regularly (and most certainly) scheduled programming of "the housing crisis".

If interest rates were raised by 2 to 3% you would have an economic collapse unless this was accompanied by economic growth. You say you are in asset management so I don't think I need to explain what would happen as investors exit asset classes with a lower yield on mass. At the same time you need to take into the account the increase in the servicing costs of the government debt which could only be paid for with tax increases or spending cuts. I don't think that scenario achieves deflating the market bubble at no cost to the state.

I agree that the regulator has not being focused on shadow banking mainly because it has been implementing reform to the banking sector and making sure that it has a solid regulation that would ensure that another banking collapse would not happen. This is the direction that all European regulators have followed in order to comply with EU regulation issued by the EBA (mainly CRDIV).

Shadow banking has been flagged by the ESRB and by the Irish Central Bank as an area that could systematic risk could exist. Back in March 2020 it looked like this risk was going to crystallise with a run on funds and investors looking to see exactly what was in the CLO's that they had invested in. Calm was brought to the sector via the intervention of the ECB/FED and there announcements of they will do what ever it takes.

I agree that investors don't have a clue what they have actually invested in when they bought into a fund. This is where the risk is.. Evergrande is a good example where someone selected a high yield Asian investment when selecting there asset class on a pension because it has been providing the best return for the past no of years. It's job of the rating agencies to provide an adequate rating for these investments and not the regulators job.

Economic Growth is a term that is thrown around a lot and in Irelands case GDP does not tell us what Growth there was in the real economy because of the impact of FDI but if you look a  Domestic demand it tells you what is happening in the real economy and during the period 2015-2019 it was running at 3-5% which was well above the rate of inflation. Yes I know you don't trust CPI but it is the most accurate way of calculating inflation....The biggest bug bearer is that it does not include property inflation as it considers it an asset rather than a commodity but for the people that are renting or have a mortgage it does take into account the inflation.

Crashing the housing market by raising rates is not an answer because there would be to many job lost in the real economy as a consequence. Even job's in asset management would be heavily impacted by doing so without real growth.

Everything is related to the 08 crash as the response to same was to super inflate assets through money printing and 0% rates so they become extremely vulnerable to the next crash

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Eh increase interest rates ??? no thanks Ireland already has one of the highest interest rates when it comes to loans and mortgages in the OCED - so no we should not be raising interest rates - this could lead to people not being able to afford their current mortgage and in this country we dont do "family home" repossession, also this would mean the loans needed to build a house would increase in cost and that will get passed on to current and future buyers. More meaningful property taxes, already a lot of people have paid 8% stamp duty which is what the base was pre 08 and then property tax on top - I think we pay more than enough already for a roof over your head this is before trying to pay a mortgage and seeing a good wedge of your income tax go out to pay for those who cannot house themselves so no thanks and good luck to any political party doing this a it will kill them off with one stroke of the pen.

How can you say 2021 its like 08 - The current situation is no where near the same as 08. Banks will not be the determining factor if we do go into a crisis it will not be because of the banks. 4 big differences between now and 08

2008) 110% mortgage offers where the norm. V.S: 2021) The banks are forced to adhere to the LTV 80/20 with 20% deposit or 90/10 for FTB and 10% deposit.

2008) People being able to leverage equity in one property to get a loan for another one. VS: 2021) This is not done now banks adhere the new rules which means someone looking at an investment property need 20% deposit.

2008) The building of housing units were more than what we needed back in 08 and where built in p1ss poor areas leading to ghost estates and oversupply. VS: 2021) We have no where near enough housing units built for our population due to a building slowdown and our population growing by over 1/2 a million in that time.

2008) The banks process was easy to con, you could get loans of family members to bump up your deposit. VS: 2021) If the bank see you with say a 5k or 10k incoming transaction into your savings and that is being used to get a mortgage they want to know where that came from and if its a family member that family member have to write a letter stating this and also stating that they have no financial ownership rights to the house being bought. Just to further this the banks are still forced to adhere to the LTV 80/20 with 20% deposit or 90/10 for FTB and 10% deposit. I have just been through the process and believe you me the banks make sure every box is ticked with regards to your application, including having to get documentation resubmitted due to corona, so every 10 weeks or so the documentation was out of date and had to be re-sent , so if your loan offer was for 6 months you had to do this multiple times. So the banks are not so shadowy they have to jump through the regulation hoops.

Our property market will never be decoupled from the real economy as its nearly always going to be the biggest purchase an individual/couple will make in their life. Ergo your property/mortgage and what you pay for both will always feed into what your working/saving/spending activities are on an ongoing basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

For some people reading this, it would scare the bejaysus out of you and you'd avoid buying a propoerty.

I bought in 2006 and do not regret it. I believe I did better than someone buying the same house in 2013.

I paid 565k - mortgage of 470k

Current value is probably 480k

Value in 2013 was circa 360k (a similar house sold for this price in 2013.)

I got the better deal and here's why

If I rented from 2006 - 2013, even at a depressed rent, it would have cost €100,000

I got a 0.8% tracker, so mortgage payments since 2012 have been hovering just under €1750. The person buying in 2013 has had an average rate of 3.5% and their mortgage (say €310,000) is almost €1600/month. So monthly payment is only 10% difference (shows the importance of the interest rate)

Going forward, they should be at 2.4% interest, but I'll still be at 0.8% (both assuming rates stay the same).

I got substantial mortgage interest relief especially in the early years when the mortgage was 4% for a couple of years. This was worth over €40,000

I now have 10 years left and we will be mortgage free when I'm 57. The person who waited and bought in 2013 will actually pay more back to the bank that I will have done, so the cost incl interest will have been higher for them than me

So forget the doom and gloom merchants - the only question is, can you afford the repayments. Fix for a decent amount of time (I'd look at 10 years) once you can get a rate under 2.5% and plan to stay in the house for 10 years+. Thus you won't be worried or concerned about what the markets are doing and you won't be paying rent. €400k @ 2.5% on a 30 year term is €1540/month. Even looking over the past 30 years, that type of repayment is very affordable for most couples - even if the combined salary was €70,000 (net would be circa €58k and mortage would be about 30% of that)

Yes, prices may go up further and they may fall back. But the 2008 collapse was a once in a lifetime event worldwide and frankly, such a collapse simply is highly unlikely to re-occur

Shocking revelation in the Indo; it turns out that linking rent increases to inflation is going to backfire as inflation is projected to go to 3% from basically 0%.

This is total corruption and O'Brien is at the heart of it. It was so obvious that linking rent increases to inflation was a compromise to the lobbyists as it should've been rent freezes which were introduced. It was too obvious to be incompetence on the part of O'Brien that inflation was going to rise this year. If it turns out that rent increases start happening across the board I think the political pressure will be unanimous to introduce rent freezes in the coming weeks or months. It's populist but understandable to demand such measures.

We really need an election in this country as the post-pandemic route for the government needs to be clear in terms of the mandate they have been given by the electorate. Allowing FF and FG have the reins for the massive spending plans is going to enable them to enrich those that need enrichment the least, filling their boots one last time. To not have an election before embarking on their spending campaign is a disgrace.

Rent hikes as housing plan backfires and inflation rises

Hundreds of thousands of tenants face further rent increases linked to soaring inflation after Housing Minister Darragh O’Brien’s policy backfired.

Mr O’Brien is coming under pressure to act just months after the moves he made to keep a lid on rapid rents were introduced.

Renters were promised changes introduced in the summer would lead to lower rent increases under his rent pressure zone legislation.

A change was made where annual rent rises are now based on inflation instead of set caps.

But since then, the inflation rate used to determine rents in rent pressure zones (RPZs) has shot up to 3pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

The potential issue I see is all the Chinese construction material suppliers who might go under due to debts owed by Evergrande and its sub contractors exacerbating the massive cost inflation we are seeing in these materials at the moment but who knows really, if the Chinese construction market slows considerable maybe that will free up more materials for Europe and reduce prices!

• Advertisement

If base rate Interest rates at 2 to 3% would crash the world economy it just goes to show the extent of the asset price bubble we are in.

Interest rates at that level would be close to all time historical lows. If they were introduced to fix the financial crash of 08 why were they not tapered to prevent another asset price bubble greater than the subprime crisis

Advertisement