Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not a great weekend in Sligo. Quite cloudy though did notice on Saturday that it was sunny in Collooney direction for nearly 2 hours while it was cloudy here. Then at lunch it rained for rest of day and 12c. Sunday was a bit sunnier but frequent light showers. But 17c.

Today is misty and wet. 13c

Think after all this calm weather we are going to have an active stormy period in the coming weeks. This is the calm before the storms. Probably October before they start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

And to think that most years the ground would be in shïte down at the Ploughing Championships

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another lovely day in Meath after a relatively sunny and warm weekend. Skies here almost fully blue and feeling very mild for the time of year with warmth still in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Last night was one of the coolest nights of the last few months. Got down to 8.9c here. Coldest night since June.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hopefully we won't get a wet and stormy October. We need a relatively dry October followed by a wet November for better hopes of this winter. At this stage we would be better off staying relatively dry over the next 4 weeks. A warm September followed up by a very wet October and an average November would be a very poor run leading into the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

My complaint is my advocacy for measures to reduce the impacts on the climate from human activity.

It's peculiar that some people think sun and heat is good weather while others like myself think cooler and wetter weather is good weather, yet the heat enthusiasts don't have any ability to comprehend that it is very much a subjective experience as to what is "good" weather.

Notwithstanding the temperature today, it feels cooler particularly with the sun gone behind the clouds. Dublin 2 location today. A welcome respite!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

But sure nice (warm and dry) weather in September is nothing new. Yes, it's been a fairly dry month so far and there were some nights warmer than the longterm average, but it's fairly bang down the middle with regard to the climatology. Just look back to how cold April and some of May were, or late September/early October last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Havent been on here in a while. Is it just me or has September felt very balmy? Again today it feels like its up near 20 degrees here in Dublin. Very dry month here in D5 so far this month. I see Phoenix Park has only recorded 8mm of rain the month of September to date. I cant recall a day yet this month where you would have needed more than a jumper, several days in the tshirt.

Dublin airport tracking at 464mm of rain for the whole year so far from January - September. Not sure how that compares to average at this stage of the year, i know Dublin usually averages about 700mm total per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yup it was does feel relatively mild this month thank god. Particularly enjoying the mild nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

National mean temp for the period Sept 1st to 20th (Yesterday) since the mid 70s.

In terms of warmth for this period, we are second only to 1991. For interest, the coolest temp in this series was the 10.5c in 1986.

Data from Met Eireann.

Edit. Looking back at 1991, it seems that from about here on in, it started cooling down to more seasonal temps. With the continuation of warm temperatures this year, and with nights especially warming up once again until the start of next week (low to mid teens), it is a near safe bet now that this September will finish first place in this particular ranking.

Post edited by Oneiric 3 on

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yup 19c in Sligo today and night has barely been below 10c all month unless your inland.

We will definitely be top 2. Has it happened many times that September is warmer than June and maybe August.

Probably 1991. That must have been the September it was 24c lots of days. This year apart from the famous 27.9c the nights have been exceptionally mild. 13c most nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

2006 and maybe 2016 the only ones there of the top few that continued relatively mild/warm through the second half of the month. 2020 fell off a cliff near the end with early air frosts being recorded, similar to 2018. Some stations even had slightly below average temps in the end. 2003 did a similar thing but still remained significantly above average.

Here in Meath this September probably isn't as warm as 2016 at least in terms of daytime temperatures. Highest temperature of the month here is only 22C. In 2016 we reached 26C a few times. It's mainly the very mild night time temperatures that has provided the warmer temperature anomalys for this month. It's still been a very decent month overall with quite a bit of sunshine overall although today is very cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭The Silver Branch

Amazing stat. 9c is relatively warm for late September.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭The Silver Branch

Agree with the poster re. grass growth. Phenomenal year!

Forecast temps for here, Galway (from the ECMWF via YR.NO) up to the 29th.

Over last weekend, this model was quite bullish about bringing in temps closer to cooler than average towards the middle of this week. This was pushed further back and even yesterday, there were showing sub 10c mins for this weekend. All changed again with warm, humid and windless nights to continue until at least Monday now.

The models, and not just the ECMWF, have performed just downright terribly over these last few weeks. Every time average or cooler weather was forecast, it is pushed further and further back with every run, but no doubt they'll be closer to the mark now that excessive warmth and humidity with the odd weak, dribbly front (if we are lucky) is on the table. There is just no end to the summer of 2021 at all, and looking at the longer range ensemble run from the ECMWF this morning, it looks as if this anomalous warmth that has plagued the NE Atlantic region since the 2nd half of the summer will not be going anywhere any soon as we run into the first part of October. No active weather at all in the offing, just the same old drab humid warmth.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭boetstark

You amaze me. You must live in some sort of indestructible bunker underground.

You actually wish for weather that will damage people's homes and businesses and cause nothing but hardship to our homeless population.

But you have a hissy fit over some nice weather that put 99.99% of the population in good humour.

Strange person🤔

I'm really getting pig sick of self righteous people on here jumping down my throat every time I post a comment on this thread. If you don't like what I say, then please put me on ignore.

New Moon

I really don't mean to be nasty or insult you and you are very much entitled to your opinion.

It's just inflammatory when you wish for weather that causes so much hardship and inconvenience

This is a weather forum. If you just want to talk about 'nice' weather all the time, then talk to the regular bowsie on the street.

New Moon

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

It's not all one way traffic, I agree with you in wanting cooler, more unsettled weather. It is a bit OTT to take it personally and jump straight to "you want to destroy livelihoods and homes" from saying that. This 6 month summer season we are experiencing becomes a pain after a while, especially when we are this far past actual summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Lovely warm dry weather and you are complaining?? September has been lovely here in Dublin, not even 10mm of rain all month and temps frequently up around 20 degrees.

Do you want wind, cold and rain?? Keep the great weather coming I say. Nothing worse than miserable damp and horizontal rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I hope we get a few good storms this winter and snow and ice but that's just me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’m hoping for a v active storm season in October through early December then transition to bitter north easterlies with snow potential through early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ohh that sounds good as well here's hoping 😁

Personally, I've disliked this September a lot and I know that's gonna cause a lot of flak. It's been very boring. Lack of very sunny days, lack of a good windstorm, lack of anything (except fog, there's been a fair bit of that). September is usually benign but this one takes the cake for boring. Like Oneiric 3, I can't wait for the weather to start livening up, if it ever does.

Past few Septembers 2018-20 I've much preferred over this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭White Clover

Yes it can but only if there is a good sunny period which this September locally has lacked with a fair bit of coastal fog/low cloud whilst the others I named didn't (mid-September 2019 in particular was spectacular). I appreciate that other locations may have differed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭White Clover

Yes that is true, a bit more sunshine would be nice but none of the other stuff! You can tell that I'm speaking with my farmers hat on!

Advertisement