Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake off 2021

• 08-09-2021 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭

Back on Tuesday September 21st @ 8.00pm on Channel 4.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its starting in an hour and there are zero posts in this years GBBO thread, they have completely destroyed this site, its criminal 😥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Didn't even know this was back only for I heard something about it on the radio this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Is it the site alone or a combination of things?

I do intend on watching it but at the same time I am abit fatigued by the show. Not just GBBO but it was the same with pottery throw down and sewing bee, since lockdowns they don't seem to have the same buzz. Also half the fun was discussing them in work over a cuppa on a break. Obviously wfh has put a stop to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

It's time, ah my happy place😊

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Bluebell woods

The precision of the Italian engineer

perfectly executed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yayy, we're back!!

Although I do agree with Princess Calla about them all becoming a bit.... old/ stale/ whatever. But still delighted it's on 😁

Missed the beginning due to dodgy internet connection. Some very precise bakers, and some not so much 😱

Well, Giuseppe fairly smashed that one!!

They looked perfect... I'm a few mins behind

Aaaargh, I'm craving Maltana now!

Anyone any idea if it's still available these days???

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Bluebell woods

a few are quite annoying

too early for this

• Advertisement

Feck, the internet has just sat down on me, again ☹

Going to have to watch it back later, I'm missing too many bits.

A crazed ostrich 🤣

I'd say the deranged ostrich met its match that day 🤣

😂😂 definitely,would love a piece of that now with a cuppa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Guiseppi looks promising

Ah HERE!!! anti gravity cake week one 😯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yep. Love maltana! Dunnes and tesco sell it.

Some good bakes for the opening week. Some shockers too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'm gonna be heartbroken when Chigs goes!!

Maggie is already annoying me.

Though first week predictions I think Jurgen, Maggie and Freya for the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,174 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I love Jurgen! I dont mind maggie, she reminds me of my friends mum.

Lizzie is wrecking my head already though. I've dubbed her tango tips in my head for some reason.

And i dunno if they decided right on who went..not quite fitting the brief lost out to not delivering on the brief I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The guy from Trinidad had one of the saddest looking showstoppers ever. Surprised he didn't go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Missed it! Is it repeated soon again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭treascon

He looked properly mortified! Def thought he should have gone - neither his nor Tom's cakes were gravity-defying, but at least Tom's looked like a cake.....

Jurgen is SUCH a German!!! 🤣 (I used to live there years ago, and absolutely loved it, so that's a term of endearment). I had to laugh when there was nobody home to take his victory call!

Crystelle and the young'un are definitely ones to watch - the flower work on their showstoppers was incredible.

And Giuseppe with the story about his young lad saying that'd be great on Bake Off..... my heart just melted!!! I hope he held out, and we hear how that turned out!

Overall, what a lovely bunch. Only the girl with the orange hair bunches and Maggie slightly irking me so far....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Giuseppes mini rolls looked annoyingly perfect,Lizzie seems grand in small doses, Jurgen seems like a really nice fella. Overall it looks like a good bunch, right person went home I thought. Jairzenos showstopper was awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Enjoyable first episode, dont agree with Tom being the first to leave, across the 3 different bakes he was nowhere near the worst IMO and at least he served a cake in the showstopper... unlike Jairzeno (sp) who serves a plate of slop... Jurgen fully deserving of star baker though... only contestant I found a tad annoying was Lizzie (she of the orange tips!) and suspect if she maintains that level of annoyance will be one I'll be hoping leaves early doors.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭boccy23

I did think Tom should go. He completely got the Illusion Cake wrong. While Jairzeno's was a disaster, at least he was trying to bake what they asked for. All too often in the past, they would have let that slide. I was happy that he was penalised for completely missing the brief.

Begs the question, will the signature & technical bakes mean little when it comes to deciding who leaves? i.e. will it all boil down to the showstopper? Or will they only come into effect if the showstopper is 50:50 between 2 of the bakers as to who goes?

Well, the way the show is run/edited - they do the first two rounds, then discuss who's in the frame for star baker and going home, and then get going on the showstopper round (I think..... or is that after the showstopper round??? I'm doubting myself now!) - so yes, I think the showstopper holds maximum sway in the decision(s).

• Advertisement

No you're correct in terms of the order. To me it just seemed that the two earlier rounds were forgotten though and the weakest showstopper left the show. The showstopper is clearly considerably weighted the heaviest in terms of importance which I feel is a little unfair at times if a baker has had two solid rounds before that, but hey thats the way the cookie crumbles.

I know the show has been criticized previously for inconsistent judging so was thinking 'here we go again' a little last night. Though as mentioned above, in hindsight with Tom not even attempting to meet the brief that was probably considered a bigger fault than someone going for it & it not working out on the day.

Advertisement